Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 10:05   #901
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Now the story goes like this. This TUV guy used to drive on the ECO mode most of the times.
This is not true. ECO mode is a software driven option, and the motor would be well tuned to handle it, even if the surge of power is low.

I strongly believe that the 'driver' referred would have been driving a petrol car or should be a new driver who is new to the new breed of diesel engines, if at-all 'really' if there was a drivers problem.

As most of you are aware, almost all the new age diesel vehicles come with hydrolic clutch system, if the drive has been using a petrol car, it would have been quite possible that on many occasions he would have used the 'half-clutch' along with 'Accelerator'. This would have given a serious damages to the plates, if the driver was at fault.

But, there are also high chances that the vehicle itself would have come with a faulty clutch set, which would be unlikely, else M&M would have replaced quickly!
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 11:01   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDtorque View Post
Yes I think you missed the time frame. If the bonnet and rear door match with the Vitara then it was they who copied not the other way round.
i feel the rear 3/4 has a land roverish look to it.
SDtorque, sorry to burst your bubble but since you mentioned time frame, here goes.....
Suzuki Vitara has been with those bonnet and rear door since 1988,
Fourth Generation Pajero with those head lamps- 2006,
Dihatsu terios since1997; discontinued this year,
Last on the list BAIC Beijing Jeep BJ40 have been making 5 slit grill since 2013
drsamuelk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 11:41   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
I have faced a new problem today. Just bought a 12v charger (as attached) and now when I connected for the first time in any of the both 12v sockets, my FM radio stops working, like loosing signal. Its seems some static charge is getting developed, interfering FM signals.

Can anyone please confirm, if its happening with me only or a general case.
No such issue, ezee. I have charged my phone many times while listening to radio. In fact, I have used both the ports simultaneously once without any issues while listening to radio. Do get it checked.

---

BTW, got my first service done on Saturday. The tank behaves much better now and is very smooth.

I complained about occasional vibrations in A-pedal, sound from right suspension, rear wash not working and lack of proper tension in the driver seat belt. As per the SA, all issues were addressed to but no parts were replaced. Suspension re-torque was also done and ICU was flashed.

I am still not happy with seat belt tension and the SA has asked me to come back after few days of testing. Will have to wait and watch for other issues.

Total cost: 2600, Engine Oil and Filter were changed.
rajpvrm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 16:48   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post

Suspension re-torque was also done and ICU was flashed.
Can you please elaborate on Suspension re-torque ? I feel the ride gets too bumpy at slow speeds. Will this help ?

ECU of my car was flashed as well. Tank is definitely smoother now after the first service.
Old 21st March 2016, 17:02   #905
Senior - BHPian

I will go for first service tomorrow, ODO is about 2700 kms at this time. During this long weekend we will be going for a road trip to Coorg, hence would like to get the servicing done

Any specific thing I need to consider while going for the first service?

My extra noise issue is more or less resolved after vacuum resonator replacement and ECU software upgrade. Once the software hanged and was still showing reverse parking sensor, while car was moving forward (restarted engine to fix), but did not reoccur. Except excessive dust in the front disc brakes, I don't really have any complaint

Last edited by airbus : 21st March 2016 at 17:15. Reason: Corrected a sentence.
Old 21st March 2016, 21:08   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Can you please elaborate on Suspension re-torque ? I feel the ride gets too bumpy at slow speeds. Will this help ?
Not exactly sure, TaurusAI. I told the SA that the drive isn't comfortable and occasionally I hear a sound from the right side suspension. He said he will get suspension re-torque done and mentioned it on the job card. In layman terms I think its adjusting/tightening of suspension bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

Any specific thing I need to consider while going for the first service?
The car will definitely feel smoother after the service, thanks to the fresh engine oil and all the lubrication and greasing thats probably done. Let the SA know if you are facing any problem and they'll look into it. Personally, I found the service centre people helpful and friendly. However, unless you can reproduce a problem in front of them, they'll not do any major activity (like replacing a part).

Only issue was that the job card creation took a lot of time - around 90 minutes (I had an appointment), may be because of the Saturday rush. And the cleaning/washing of the car was average.
rajpvrm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 22:00   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In layman terms I think its adjusting/tightening of suspension bolts.
It's got to that and nothing else that I can think of.

I get this done during every 10,000 kms service for both my cars using a Torque Wrench and if you are standing there with your vehicle, you will realise who there are some bolts which indeed need to be torqued.

Lower Arms, Suspension Frame, Link Rods etc. Periodically checking these always ensure longevity of your suspension parts and as well help you with a consistent ride quality every time you hit the highway.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 23:00   #908

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamuelk View Post
SDtorque, sorry to burst your bubble but since you mentioned time frame, here goes.....
Suzuki Vitara has been with those bonnet and rear door since 1988,
Fourth Generation Pajero with those head lamps- 2006,
Dihatsu terios since1997; discontinued this year,
Last on the list BAIC Beijing Jeep BJ40 have been making 5 slit grill since 2013
I do stand corrected. As you were comparing the vehicular looks, the new European vitara and the brezza came into mind. Apologies
One can always learn a lot more at t-bhp
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:46   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I noticed something interesting regarding the tyre pressure. I think M&M recommended tyre pressure of 32 psi earlier and now it's 35 psi for the same tyre size - 215/75 R15.
Questions -
  1. What are others following?
  2. What could be the reasons for changing the tyre pressure by M&M?
  3. Can users from Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 and Feb 2016 confirm the tyre pressure recommended on their tank?
My vehicle is manufactured in Jan 2016. I did check the sticker on the door side and it is the same as you mentioned, i.e. it recommends a pressure of 35 psi.
My guess on this is that since this is a heavier vehicle, they are recommending a high pressure [although I am no expert on this ]
rishee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:59   #910
BHPian

The delivery of my T8 AMT is again delayed due to incomplete paperwork.
The coming long weekend will be rubbing salt on the injury

(its been 3 months after first placing order at silverjubilee in december and then moving to sahyadri motors in feb)

I did get to see the tank on sunday for pdi.
The tank is stocked in open area under scorching heat and that is making me unhappy about the delay.
Although had taken the pdi checklist, the enthu was not there to carry out the task.
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:49   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
The delivery of my T8 AMT is again delayed due to incomplete paperwork.
The coming long weekend will be rubbing salt on the injury
It took just 2 hours only to complete all paperwork and delivery formalities for my T8 AMT here in Gurgaon. What paperwork they need which will take that much days?

If you have already paid the amount then there is no question of taking time, infact dealers are eager to send away their stocks earliest possible.

Also dont worry about your Tank is parked in open area, you will get only after washing and cleaning properly.
Old 22nd March 2016, 13:23   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
It took just 2 hours only to complete all paperwork and delivery formalities for my T8 AMT here in Gurgaon. What paperwork they need which will take that much days?
This is via company lease. the sales guy was supposed to send hard copy of Purchase last week to bangalore contact office to get the payment. Now he claims that he was unaware of this requirement

Add to that rto work, i am hoping to get the tank in april.
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:04   #913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
He mentioned that there was a customer whose TUV's clutch had gone bad within a couple of month's usage (just after a few thousand kms of running).
The ECO mode is suitable when you are driving sedately at a steady speed of 60-70 kmph. However this guy used to drive the car faster than that around 90 kmph. Now imagine, since low quantity of fuel is injected at a give throttle input, you would be forced to press down the A pedal more than required, this would increase the load on the clutch. This resulted in premature clutch wearing.
Sorry, but this is absolute mis-information and isn't true at all.

Accelerator input has little to do with clutch-wear. If clutches were that sensitive, the difference of having 1 or 4 people in the car would also result in more load on the clutch right? But that's not the case. At least not enough to lead to a clutch change several tens of thousands of kms earlier.

In this case it can pretty much only be 1 of 2 things:

1) Manufacturing / mechanical setup defect.

2) Poor driving (resting foot on clutch pedal, balancing car on the clutch for extended periods on slopes, etc).
Rehaan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 08:14   #914
BHPian

Can everyone share their respective experiences about driving the vehicle in Engine ECO mode? Would like to know especially the following points
1. Is there a considerable difference driving normally vs driving in ECO mode, from a FUEL efficiency perspective.
2. Is the throttle response so low that it(ECO mode) should not be considered at all in city bumper to bumper traffice
3. Since there is an issue of clutch pad going bust due to service centre telling the customer that he drove at 90kmph in ECO mode, is it that ECO mode must not be used on highways at all, when we are cruising at high speed.
4. Does it kill the fun of driving the vehicle
Old 24th March 2016, 11:38   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
Can everyone share their respective experiences about driving the vehicle in Engine ECO mode? Would like to know especially the following points
1. Is there a considerable difference driving normally vs driving in ECO mode, from a FUEL efficiency perspective.
2. Is the throttle response so low that it(ECO mode) should not be considered at all in city bumper to bumper traffice
3. Since there is an issue of clutch pad going bust due to service centre telling the customer that he drove at 90kmph in ECO mode, is it that ECO mode must not be used on highways at all, when we are cruising at high speed.
4. Does it kill the fun of driving the vehicle
Hi Rishee, Congrats on the acquisition of the TUV and welcome to the forum.

Let me answer your questions -
1. Below is the latest FE calculations for my TUV. Between 13.03.2016 and 19.03.2016, I ran the vehicle in the ECO mode, and with the ESS switched on. The FE I got was 10.97. If you look at the other figures you will realize that there is not much of a difference.
2. The throttle response is slow, but will not cause any inconvenience in the city 'bumper to bumper' traffic. In fact it will be beneficial, in the slow moving traffic.
3. I believe that this is a wrong conclusion. Using the vehicle in the ECO mode should not affect the clutch plates, unless you drive with the clutch pedal slightly depressed. Always remove your foot off the clutch pedal after changing gears.
4. The ECO mode definitely kills the fun and joy of the drive.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20160324110504.png

Above is the latest FE. Painstakingly drove 168 km (13.03.16 to 19.03.16) on the ECO mode and with the ESS switched on, with the sole intention of finding what would be the savings. This was entirely within Chennai city, and in similar driving habits and traffic conditions as the rest of the figures. The difference is hardly noticeable.

From 19.03 to 21.03 (487 km) was on the highway, a drive to Tirupati and back, with speeds of around 100 kmph most of the time.

This ECO mode and the ESS thing does not seem to be beneficial as advertised by M&M.

So now no more ECO mode. The ESS is still on. At least I can reduce adding to the pollution while waiting at signals, if not saving on the fuel.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed