Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:33   #1291

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I got my tank back on Tuesday evening. Two parts were replaced under Warranty, please see attached image for parts information. Vacuum Modulator was replaced as a trial and error method to solve occasional extra engine noise. I was told that software was updated and my idling RPM is 1 mm below 1000 mark. I can move the vehicle without pressing accelerator. My current odometer reading is 6252 km.

Now I am all set for couple of long drives during upcoming long weekend holidays
Hello Airbus,

Went through your review and loved every bit of it. I was hell bent on getting a Thar for myself and was preparing for it, but ultimately the needs of the family and comfort factor won the race, and I have booked a TUV3OO yesterday. Variant- T4, Color- Black. My stereo system from the old Figo will be fitted to it later.
Took a test drive yesterday before booking, and although I kept reminding myself about the ''driver-side-door-hits-forehead" factor, the initial mesmerism took over the senses, and BANG!, a bump on the forehead, just as prophesied.
Drove through dense Kolkata traffic and found other cars (including the in-your-face TATA 470s and even Autorickshaws) showing respect and moving out of the way. In fact, there was a point on a one-vehicle-only bridge with two-way traffic where the taxi at the other end waited politely till the TUV crossed! That's serious respect, man!
Even under the eco mode, the TUV responded beautifully to throttle.
About the potholes - what potholes?

I forgot to ask whether the driver's seat on the T4 variant can be raised, as even at 5'10", I had some difficulty watching the far left corner. But that will take a few kilometers to get used to, I guess.

AC vents on the middle row would have nailed it. The third row (already reserved by my daughters) will take some time to get properly cooled.
While gunning for the Thar, I came across this accessory which basically throws the cold air to the rear of the cabin. An exhaust of sorts, if I may say so. (See attachment). Can anyone tell me if this can be used in the TUV for the same purpose?

The T4 doesn't come with any side or rear steps. Getting up to the back seat without the step is only reserved for the fittest Jackie Chan types. Have to attach one immediately.

The rear-view is very small. Backing up would require X-ray vision to prevent loss of limb or property. A camera is a good viable alternative.
Passengers will have to wear seatbelts at all positions because of the severe body roll. Otherwise it becomes a mayhem back there on a bumpy road.

Will get my TUV3OO sometime next week. Will share pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-51qdwzz9n0l.jpg  

sandeepest is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 22:36   #1292
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention this earlier. A day after my 10K service, I sent a mail to CUSTOMERCARE@mahindra.com asking them if there is any chance/provision to get my current car's engine remapped to produce more power/torque a-la same as the 100 BHP version. After 4 days today I received the reply like this.
Quote:
Dear Sir, Thank you for writing to us. We regret for the delay in response. Government regulations don’t allow change in the engine/power of a car that has been already registered.
Please rest assured that the TUV300 with the mHAWK80 engine continues to enjoy good equity in the market and will continue as an option on all the variants.

We assure you of our best support at all times.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX XXXXXX
Customer Care-Automotive Division
Reach us 24*7 on 1800-209-6006
On that response I have further replied if can I re-register the car to get the 100 BHP power output? Is it technically possible to retune the engine to get the increased power? Are there any mechanical changes? Looks like I will have to wait another 4 days to get further response to this query.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 16:09   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Today afternoon I received the feedback call from the call centre for my recently done 10K service. Gave 9/10 and 10/10 for most of the points. One point I stressed upon is the engine power/torque upgrade. I informed the CRM person to pass on this message to their technical/R&D team that intial customers of the TUV are very keen on getting their cars' power outputs bumped up even if that comes at a cost. I told him that I am an active member of a reputed online Auto forum and it is not just me, but many like me interested in getting this done. He assured me that he will pass on this message to the concerned dept & I will receive a call regarding the same within 48 hours. Although I have very little hopes, lets see if anything positive comes out of this.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 10:08   #1294
BHPian

We did a little offroad yesterday and the TUV got stuck in slush. This proves RWD is not so good in slush and ice. The TUV is so heavy that a EcoSport couldnt pull it, a Safari did the job -

Pardon the language, local bengaly langugage.
Uprasenjit is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 11:21   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
We did a little offroad yesterday and the TUV got stuck in slush. This proves RWD is not so good in slush and ice. The TUV is so heavy that a EcoSport couldnt pull it, a Safari did the job -

[
What you did was not off roading. You took the car into a slushy ground & it got stuck. The catch word here is the "car". TUV is a car on stilts not an SUV. It is heavy & is shod with HT tires. As soon as you drove into that slushy ground the tread got plugged with mud & tires lost whatever little traction that they had. Any heavy RWD car with HT tires would probably behave the same way so don't feel bad.

I just don't understand why a vehicle of the size of TUV should weigh 1,650 kgs.

As for rear wheel drive being bad in slush or ice, you're right to an extent but I must confess I had a Dodge Charger (RWD) with a 5.7 ltr Hemi engine & had no problem (we get snow for 6 months here and temperature sometimes dips to -30C). It also depends how the weight is distributed over front and rear axles. The problem in a RWD car in such conditions is that as soon as you try to accelerate the entire weight is shifted to rear axle and if your rear wheels don't have traction, you're going nowhere.

You probably expected TUV to tackle at least this simple adventure & clearly it does not cut the mustard. I don't blame you; the imagery that Mahindra has built around these cars is so misleading; sorry brother. My advice would be to stick to pavement henceforth & save yourself the trouble

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 7th August 2016 at 11:27.
Vikram Arya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 19:45   #1296
BHPian

Here are some details of my first service
Model : T8 MT
Odo Reading : 2650 Kms
Duration : 5 months after delivery date.
Service Center : G3 motors, Malad
Time in : 9:30 AM
Time out : 8:30 PM
Total Cost : Rs 2227/-

Overall experience
My appointment was at 9:30am and I reached there by 9:45am on a Saturday morning, thanks to the Mumbai traffice. As soon as I entered, I could see a flood of XUVs and Scorpios, with a few TUVs thrown in a ground measure 100 sq ft. A couple of KUVs and Rextons were also seen. It felt more like an elephant yard LOL, what with all those imposing SUVs standing side by side.
They checked my details and made me sit in the customer lounge, which is quite comfortable. However the seating was inadequate and I had to keep on standing for 15 minutes(maybe weekend rush?). They made me waiting for almost an hour and finally a SA was alloted to me. The SA listened to my complaints and gave me explanations(noted below).
The car was ready by evening and I received a call around 7.30pm. Was handed over the car by 8.30pm.
All through, the staff was very courteous and polite. SA asked me to call anytime, post the car delivery. I could not do a car inspection there as it was quite dark.

Issues I mentioned to the SA, alongwith his reply at time of me giving the vehicle[SA] and his reply at time of delivery alongwith my observations[Final] during my drive back home fromt the service center[around 5 km]
1. Loud engine noise [read like starting of a tractor] on "cold" start (observed usually at start of the day)
SA "Need to check sir. Mahindra had some recall with the vacuum modulator"
Final There was no replacement done for vacuum modulator. However he mentioned ECU being flashed and some software upgrade. The engine noise has drastically reduced post the same.

2. Low coolant level - was exactly between the Min and Max Level
SA "Sir, there is 8 litres of coolant already present in the radiator and you can go on even with levels less than the minimum. If ever you feel the level is less, you can just add water to it. Do not add the 'green' coolant you get from Petrol pump as it may damage the engine. We will top-up the coolant only at 40,000 kms and till then even we will add only water"
Final When I opened the bonnet today morning, the coolant level was slightly above the MAX mark. Not sure if he topped it up or added water.

3. Rattling sound of windows glass from driver and co-driver seat window
SA We will check it sir
Final SA - "Sir the trims on all the doors were loose and we have tightened it". I observed now that there is absolutely no sound coming from the same.

4. Headlight brightness is low, visibility on highway during rains was very poor
SA Those are the default ones and if you find them adequate, please put new brighter ones from outside. However ask the accessories guys to set a cut-off else the battery will drain off. We will not do anything with it.
Final They had not done anything to it. My earlier experience with my Maruti Ritz was that the then SA had changed some "focus" settings. Guess have to live with this one.

5. Driver seat belt had become very loose.
Final This I had forgotten to mention. Luckily they observed it and corrected by themselves. The seatbelt now has a firmer grip.

Other observations and comments post servicing:
- The clutch is relatively quite soft now
- The notchiness observed while changing gears has reduced.
- The glasses had a lot of smudges both from inside and outside. SA had mentioned they only was the car exterior with water[no pressure was as M&M as instructed them it may damage the engine.] Also they only vacuum the interiors and do not was it with water.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-service-details.jpg  

rishee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:30   #1297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
...The water tank for front and back washer is common and under the hood. I don't know why Mahindra wanted to put a spray wash (from bottom) for rear glass when the normal approach is to drop water from the top. The pressure is never adequate and the wiper struggles to use the water. I did complain about this once, in vain.
Thanks rajpvrm for highlighting this issue. It has been a persistent problem for years now. And I am surprised that M&M, usually so ear-to-the-ground, have not taken note of this and placed the screen washer jet/spray from the top instead of persisting with the bottom-up spray/jet, which, as you mentioned, is quite useless after a while.

Last edited by shashanka : 9th August 2016 at 09:57.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 16:49   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Today morning got the first puncture in my Orange Tank (@ 10.5K kms) . A screw with a washer had pierced the tyre, bang in between the two treads. With my swiss knife handy, it was easy to pull it out by plucking it at the washer. But as soon as it started coming out I could hear hissing sound of air, clearly indicating that the inner wall of the tyre had been ruptured. Drove home with the screw embedded in the tyre.

Today morning before taking it to the tyre shop I first checked the air pressure and there was hardly any drop, it was around 34 psi. The shop fellow prepared the wick, pulled out the screw with a plier and plugged the puncture, in 5 mins flat. Paid him Rs 80/- and he mentioned that it was a wise decision on my part not to remove the screw .

Anyway, since I have to do the tyre rotation after purchasing an alloy wheel, I will put this punctured tyre as a spare wheel.

The culprit is spotted

Culprit on my hand standing erect

AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 20:05   #1299
BHPian

Is it prudent to swap the stock Ceat Czar HT tyres to Yokohama geolander AT of same size for ₹2000 a piece?
Old 12th August 2016, 22:10   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Friends received this mailer just now from customer.relation@ecommunication-mahindra.com.

Tough To The Core | Mahindra TUV300 Salutes Heroes of Kargil War

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-kargil-trip-tuv.jpg

Watch the promo on U tube

Old 13th August 2016, 23:28   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Picked up my extended warranty Shield Certificate from the service centre today. Although my Orange Tank was brought home on 7th Nov 2015, the date of Sale mentioned on this Shield Certificate is 09th Dec 2015. So the standard company warranty is valid upto 9th Dec 2018. The Extended warranty starts from 10th Dec 2018 and valid upto 10th Dec 2020 or 1,20,000 kms (whichever is earlier, so got one month's extra warranty beyond 5 years). Here is the Shield Certificate and the Terms & Conditions (3 pages)

Shield Certificate
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160813_230327.jpg

Terms & Conditions: Page#1
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160813_230628.jpg

Terms & Conditions: Page#2
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160813_230650.jpg

Terms & Conditions: Page#3
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160813_230709.jpg

While I was at the service centre I enquired about the OEM alloy wheel & it costs a whopping rs 9,500/- (no discounts whatsoever). The alloy wheel in the accessories section (of different design) costed Rs 7,500/- So due to this prohibitory pricing, for the moment I have dropped the idea of getting an alloy for the spare wheel and will manage the wheel rotation between the 4 alloy wheels, using the spare only in case of emergencies.
Old 14th August 2016, 00:21   #1302
BHPian

How much did this extended warranty cost?
Old 14th August 2016, 14:10   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
How much did this extended warranty cost?
I paid Rs 15,656/- (including service tax). You can refer to message #238 in my thread for further details ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ective-16.html

I was given the below sheet, which had 3 options, SHLD31, SHLD32 & SHLD33. Since I intend to keep the TUV for 5 years, I wanted the additional 2 year extended warranty, besides the company's 3 year, 1,00,000 km standard warranty. So I opted for SHLD32, 4th & 5th year or upto 1,20,000 km. Since I went for the EW beyond 60 days of car purchase but within one year period from date of sale of car, I had to pay Rs 15,656/-. If I had bought the same EW within two months of car purchase I would have saved Rs 575/-. Better late than never

The Extended Warranty options
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160730_174839.jpg
Old 16th August 2016, 14:20   #1304
BHPian

Added hundred horses to our garage

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-t1.jpg

Last edited by mi2n : 16th August 2016 at 14:33.
mi2n is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 15:05   #1305
BHPian

Mahindra has introduced a New Bronze Green (Army Green) colour and this exclusive shade will be available on a Made-to-Order basis.

Source : http://www.mahindratuv300.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-army-green-tuv300.jpg  

Last edited by uday.ere : 16th August 2016 at 15:26.
uday.ere is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed