Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:50   #121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Just test drove the AMT (T8 AutoShift) version at GSP Gurgaon after couple of T6 and T8 TD's. Firstly I would say its an awesome technology for city drive.

The AMT version having AutoShift and Manual shift options that can be changed easily while driving at anytime, worked like charm. Specially the manual mode where you just have to shift upward with negligible effort (like mouse click) and downshifts work automatically (so you have to just shift upward only).

In AutoShift mode just move gear leaver left and on the DIS it starts showing "A" with gear information in corner. But you will feel the gears shifting automatically and there is a feel of changing gears for a sec just like someone pressed the clutch (infact this happens actually but electronically).

There is no hill assist sort of feature and you have to manage through break or hand break only. Also no micro hybrid and eco mode available in AMT models.

The autoshift works well but personally I love the manual mode if you need to have control over pickups and accelaration but with minimal efforts and no left leg work.
ezee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:49   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I have explained that since the dealership has messed up, I am expecting them to refund my booking amount with interest accrued for 11 days (14 - 3 processing days). I will write to M&M to let them know the situation on the ground. After going through this baffling experience, I really dont know if M&M dealerships have highly incompetent staff or if its just the dealer pulling out different tricks to sit on booking amounts for as long as possible.
In the end, writing to M&M didn't really get things moving any faster but the dealership did follow up with me regularly to check if I received the amount. Since the delay clearly arose due to a mistake from their side, the dealership returned a total of Rs 21,000 exactly two weeks after I cancelled my booking with the one thousand rupees being considered as interest. Hope others have an easier time if and when they cancel their booking.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:12   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I love the Safari's and the Scorpio's of this world and can also understand the pov of someone who wants to buy a XUV500 instead of the former two. I still cannot begin to like the TUV300. It feels and looks like a shortcut. It doesnt feel like a throughly engineered state of the art product like the XUV500 nor has the simplistic tough has nails engineering of the Tata Sumo or the Bolero.

Its a bit characterless if you ask me.
I get to what you're saying. But I would rather say that the TUV isn't characterless, but somewhat purposeless, aimless - if one may say that - in the market. It offers a lot on its own, and is a pretty well rounded package for the money, but against the competition, doesn't excel in any particular job.

As a purely urban SUV, the EcoSport kills it. It has the more 'urban' design of the two, the better interior, more features and a more powerful engine. Agreed it'd show its sissy side if you show it some mud, but most urban customers won't care to. The TUV on the other hand may appear too crude to them.

If we think of the rural market, they love their Bolero far too much to think of the TUV. The Bolero is tougher than the tough (pun intended), easy to maintain, efficient and cheap. The TUV is more expensive, has a smaller engine and isn't as utilitarian as the Bolero. Also, I won't exactly vouch for the TUV's ability to carry half a tonne of farm produce, or a dozen people, or both, as per the situation. The Bolero does it all, and hardly breaks a sweat (or a word to the law).

For people seeking those extra seats, the Ertiga (or Mobilio) does the job far better, while being better finished and arguably more reliable.

For the ones looking for a full size SUV, they'd buy the Scorpio over this. It has the 2.2 mHawk, proper three rows of seats and far more grunt for highway speeds. And a certain political appeal to it too!!

Hence, the TUV finds itslelf as the jack of all trades but master of none. It had to have a unique appeal for itself to find its own customer base. Right now it can only survive from crumbs out of other cars' sales. Maybe SUV appeal for compact MPV customers, or road presence and extra seats for compact sedan customers. It can be fairly sure of having all the Quanto and Etios Cross customers in its pocket though.

And it's not as if there is no place for the TUV here. It could have carved out a nice niche for itself - the adventure hunters on a budget. There is simply no proper SUV with 4WD this side of ten lakhs, save for the Thar, or maybe the Gypsy. (oh, wait. The Force Gurkha exists too, right? But let's just conveniently 'forget' it and move on.)

Now, Mahindra have showered phrases like 'tough', 'true blue SUV' and 'battle tank' throughout the TUV's marketing process. And then launched it in RWD configuration only. That is what still surprises me somewhat. The TUV is short, not too heavy, has lots of low end torque, extremely short overhangs, a ladder frame and decent ground clearance. It simply deserves a 4WD system. The current TUV is also good for the rural roads, and occasional ghat trip, but in 2WD guise, it simply doesn't inspire the 'my car can take it all' kind of confidence, which a lot of SUV buyers may be looking for.

A 4WD, low ratio box and maybe hill descent assist and other electrical nannies for the top end variant will make the TUV a complete package. It also looks edgy and square, like a hardcore SUV generally does. There could realistically be a T4+ 4WD and a fully loaded T8 4WD variant for the TUV. And anyway most TUV buyers get it for the proper SUV credentials and tough 'battle tank' appeal, and many won't mind spending those extra thousands for a lot more substance under the skin. But more importantly, people will sit up and think about the TUV, as a proper 4WD SUV at the 10-lakh price point sure sounds delicious. Also, if it works well enough, it could earn its own fan base, just like the Scorpio or Safari, over time. The boxy and Jeepish styling would also suddenly start making a lot more sense, and would become more acceptable to the people.

Take this: the T4+ variant costs about 7.3 lakhs ex-showroom right now. And it has airbags and ABS too. Add the 4WD, and the pricing may go around 8.5 lakhs ex showroom, and somewhere over 9 lakhs on road. That gives a proper ladder frame SUV with ABS and airbags, and 4WD as standard, and a huge scope for equipping it and customising it further. Similarly, the T8 4WD could cost somewhere under the 11 lakh mark on road, and that's great value for a fully loaded SUV with 4WD.

Maybe Mahindra are afraid the TUV would threaten the Scorpio 4WD and hence are not launching it. I feel they should have given priority to a 4WD variant instead of the tricky AMT at launch. That would have done wonders to its image, 'battle tank' pretensions and initial market impressions.

Last edited by mukul32 : 2nd November 2015 at 20:42.
mukul32 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 10:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Speed
2. Comprehensiveness
3. Accuracy

Pick any TWO .
Hey GTO, I remember you had mentioned in your BMW Ownership review that you will test drive the TUV300 on the highway. Does this official review already has your observations? From all the reviews so far, I have an impression that this is a go-to car within 10 lakhs budget but I am a bit skeptical about its highway cruising. Does it feel at ease at cruising speeds of 120-130 and what max speeds could be achieved?
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:25   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Does it feel at ease at cruising speeds of 120-130 and what max speeds could be achieved?
Hi Roadsurfer - I did drive the TUV300 for 100+ km of which a 60+ km was on a 6 lane. As long as you keep the tank in the 2.5K - 3K RPM range, it feels good. Did manage to reach 120 on a few occasions for a few minutes and the car feels stable and engine does not feel strained. For more details please refer http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3838266
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 18:02   #126
Senior - BHPian

In the afternoon when I called the dealership Sales Head, he mentioned that my car has landed in their stockyard yesterday night and today they are going to do the PDI. I immediately hopped on this opportunity and told him that I would be doing the PDI as well at their stockyard. He said that normally they don't allow customers in their stockyard, but would arrange their driver to take me through the car. Went there @ 02:30pm, their person took me inside and spotted the car. He said that he will give it for PDI and I can do my PDI there itself. Here are some pics of my Molten Orange T8

My Old Workhorse (Blue Indica) standing besides a white TUV.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-my-old-workhorse-blue-indica-standing-besides-white-tuv.jpg

The car comes without spare wheel cover from the factory
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-car-comes-without-spare-wheel-cover-factory.jpg

The Technician doing the PDI
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-technician-doing-pdi.jpg

The Technician inspecting the right side of the car
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-technician-inspecting-right-side-car.jpg

Right side B pillar came with black cladding
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-right-side-b-pillar-came-black-cladding.jpg

Left side B pillar came without black cladding
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-left-side-b-pillar-came-without-black-cladding.jpg

The spare wheel moulded cover comes box packed
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-spare-wheel-moulded-cover-comes-box-packed.jpg

The spare wheel cover being fitted by the technician
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-spare-wheel-cover-being-fitted-technician.jpg

The first scratch spotted during PDI
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-first-scratch-during-pdi.jpg

The Technician at the wheel during PDI test drive

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-technician-wheel-during-pdi-test-drive.jpg

The sales head assured me that both the above issues (missing B pillar black cladding and scratch) will be fixed in the stockyard PDI. I am not worried about the small scratch, but wonder how can a newly launched car come out of the factory without the B pillar blackened. What were the final inspection folks @ M&M's Chakan plant doing when this car rolled out of the assembly line. Hope M&M is not going the XUV way due to increased demand, wherein production took priority and quality went for a toss, resulting in the lengthy XUV niggles thread.
AutoIndian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:36   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
In the afternoon when I called the dealership Sales Head, he mentioned that my car has landed in their stockyard yesterday night and today they are going to do the PDI.
Wow! The tank looks great! Congrats on the prospect of getting the battle-ready tank on danteras.
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:50   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Here are some pics of my Molten Orange T8
T8 looks good AutoIndian. Did you get an opportunity to drive it or was it just ride along? Looks like the first DIY for anyone buying the T8 will be to figure a way to fill air in the spare without removing the cover

Last edited by procrj : 3rd November 2015 at 19:57.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:28   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Wow! The tank looks great! Congrats on the prospect of getting the battle-ready tank on danteras.
Thank you narenteam for your wishes. I may take the delivery even before that if all the things fall in place as expected. But of course no other day is as auspicious as Dhanteras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
T8 looks good AutoIndian. Did you get an opportunity to drive it or was it just ride along?
Thanks procrj. Actually customers are not even allowed inside the stockyard. But since I was all the time in touch with the Sales Head I could easily manage, I did not try my hands at the wheel and enjoyed the co-driver seat. It was a heck of a drive. The technician might have driven just 2-3 kms. He told me to fasten my seat belt and press both the legs against the floor under glove box, be very alert. He raced in each gear beyond 3K rpm and then slammed the brakes when he was racing ahead. This was to check the gears, acceleration and braking. He then took the car over a completely broken, kaccha road with some great speed. This was to check any loose nut-bolts. He took the car in reverse and took a very tight U turn to check the steering.

I would never in my life do that with my car or any other car for that matter. However I thoroughly enjoyed that short, gruesome test drive, which is a part of their PDI and came out of the car thoroughly impressed with the capabilities of this tank.
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:35   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics of my Molten Orange T8
Congrats on your Tank AutoIndian, the TUV300 sure looks stunning in that orange shade. Wishing you many many miles of smiles.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:37   #131
BHPian

@Autoindian First thing you need to do even before puja is to get rid of those Apollo tires.
silverknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
I am not worried about the small scratch, but wonder how can a newly launched car come out of the factory without the B pillar blackened. What were the final inspection folks @ M&M's Chakan plant doing when this car rolled out of the assembly line.
What did you expect, you kept saying 'jaldi karo' 'lavkar' to the folks at M&M and the guys just communicated the same to some poor soul working in assembly line. Somehow they managed to kit the vehicle and make it ready(well almost) for you. I am sure you would have lifted the hood and checked if the engine, transmission and other other things are indeed present.
Just kidding.

On a more relevant note, if the scratch is on the same side of the missing blankening, chances are that the car might have had a minor incident within the factory and the doors may have been replaced/repainted at the factory itself - prior to despatch. The in-factory stickers - Test drive, Q&A etc may reveal part of the inside story if you have the time, patience and inclination to find out by comparing with the ones on the other TUVs that arrived that day.

None the less, a miss by their Q&A team.

Enjoy your new ride. The colour looks great. Best wishes.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 3rd November 2015 at 20:57.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:44   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He raced in each gear beyond 3K rpm and then slammed the brakes when he was racing ahead. This was to check the gears, acceleration and braking. He then took the car over a completely broken, kaccha road with some great speed. This was to check any loose nut-bolts. He took the car in reverse and took a very tight U turn to check the steering.
Interesting. Is this standard practice across all dealers i.e is there like a guide/instruction set that they have to follow? Or is this dependent on which side of the bed the technician woke up Would also help if others could chime in with their experience with other car brands/dealers as I have not heard of this kind of PDI.

A few questions:
1) This approach is a shock/stress test assuming that the real world worst case scenario would be sudden high speed braking. What it does not consider is the day to day bumper to bumper rev stop rev stop condition. Should this not be tested as well given that this is more likely situation than the stress test? Or is the assumption that damage during high speed braking would be a lot more if systems fail as compared to bumper to bumper conditions.
2) What happens if the brakes actually fail during the above stress test and the car gets damaged?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 21:58   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Left side B pillar came without black cladding
Attachment 1435034
Hi AutoIndian, Congratulations and the tank looks elegant in the molten orange colour

On the blackening of the B-Pillar I would suggest please have a look at the doors in detail before giving a go ahead. Check if they close properly and the alignment is proper. Also if u know any body repair guy just take him along and confirm that the doors are not worked on. It might be a case of damage in transit and its been worked upon.

I am not saying all this to disappoint you but just to make sure you a take home a stock car straight from the factory. Also when I was doing PDI of my XUV I found out one of the door was worked upon and immediately changed the car. I got to know this technique to find out the repaired door from a second hand car evaluator. Usually if the door is worked on the bottom edge of the door will not have a even smudging of the paint and u can actually feel the roughness, whereas the factory finished will be smooth. I would suggest you to check once again and give a go ahead.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
fusionbang is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:01   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
@Autoindian First thing you need to do even before puja is to get rid of those Apollo tires.
@ Silverknight: AFAIK, the TUV is offered with Either Ceat or Appolo tyres, between the two do you suggest Ceat over Appolo?

Most Viewed