Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 07:46   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
Let's see, the car was towed at 7.30 pm yesterday(Saturday). I expect to know more from them , maybe tomorrow afternoon.
Sirvoicar, whats the status on the diagnosis and rectification of your issue? We are eagerly awaiting further updates from your side.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:45   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Sirvoicar, whats the status on the diagnosis and rectification of your issue? We are eagerly awaiting further updates from your side.
On Monday I was told that they find the Diesel dark in colour.(Around 20-25 litres must be in the tank (from the full tank fill at my regular IOL Pump at Mumbai Airport T-1 A)when the car stopped. He took permission to fill in fresh Diesel for further checks.
No info on Tuesday.
This morning when I sent a message, He called up to tell me that the senior techies at the Company owned workshop (NBS International) are checking the car based on the instructions from Higher ups at the factory. And,It may take 2 more days. Further clarifications/queries from my side went unanswered.
Sirvoicar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 10:52   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On Monday I was told that they find the Diesel dark in colour.(Around 20-25 litres must be in the tank (from the full tank fill at my regular IOL Pump at Mumbai Airport T-1 A)when the car stopped. He took permission to fill in fresh Diesel for further checks.
No info on Tuesday.
This morning when I sent a message, He called up to tell me that the senior techies at the Company owned workshop (NBS International) are checking the car based on the instructions from Higher ups at the factory. And,It may take 2 more days. Further clarifications/queries from my side went unanswered.
When they tell you that the senior techies at the Company owned workshop (NBS International) are checking the car based on the instructions from Higher ups at the factory and it may take 2 more days, it means that there could be some serious issue in the fuel system, which the local workshop is not able to diagnose. Their earlier claim that the fuel was adulterated, which might have caused this issue was an eyewash. I suggest you directly get in touch with the technical folks from the company who are looking into the matter. A visit to the workshop and having face-to-face discussion with them (even if it means taking half a day off from your work) would be worthwhile. Also you will get all the genuine information first hand and not filtered information from the workshop. All the best and hope it gets sorted out soon.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 12:51   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure none of the cars getting their tanks filled at this particular diesel bunk are breaking down. Very childish for Mahindra to come up with such kind of lame excuses.
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:10   #1415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And,It may take 2 more days. Further clarifications/queries from my side went unanswered.
Any further updates Sirvvoicar? Looks like the FDM issue has been plaguing all 2015 manufactured cars as I dont recall any 2016 TUV owners complain of power failure issues or FDM replacement. All in all its sad that even after a year, M&M hasn't managed to solve all niggles and they still need to ask customers to wait for long time periods to fix problems.

Its hard to keep believing in your vehicle when you see such issues cropping up regularly and the brand does nothing much to quickly sort it out. You keep listening very carefully while driving and wonder what the small sound is or whether that momentary drop in power is due to something not working right. Robs you of the joy of driving and after spending a million rupees, its just not what you want to go through
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 01:01   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any further updates Sirvvoicar?
M&M delivered my TUV300 on 20.10.2016 at home at andheri. I only paid for the 10k service. I spoke to the GM service for an explanation, he just asked me to come over and meet him so that he can explain.I propose to meet him in the coming week.
They have replaced the following parts under warranty.There was no mention of these parts in the final Invoice.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-parts-20.10.2016.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 07:58   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
M&M delivered my TUV300 on 20.10.2016 at home at andheri. I only paid for the 10k service. I spoke to the GM service for an explanation, he just asked me to come over and meet him so that he can explain.I propose to meet him in the coming week.
Glad that you received the car back with the issue resolved . How is the car performing since the you received it? It is good that the GM service has invited you to have a one-on-one discussion so that you can get the complete information on the diagnosis and solution provided.
Quote:
They have replaced the following parts under warranty.There was no mention of these parts in the final Invoice.
Is the Fuel Module Reservoir mentioned over here same as the Fuel Delivery Module (FDM), which sits inside the fuel tank? I checked my 3K km service invoice and unfortunately the FDM part number is not mentioned in that , else I could have validated that.
Old 24th October 2016, 10:31   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
he just asked me to come over and meet him so that he can explain
Hope your fuel delivery problems are fixed for good. Do share the explanation provided by service GM after you meet him.

Quote:
Is the Fuel Module Reservoir mentioned over here same as the Fuel Delivery Module (FDM), which sits inside the fuel tank?
Deepak, I was trying to understand the whole fuel supply system over the weekend and here is what I know from various youtube videos and other forums.

The below pic highlights the most important parts of a modern day fuel supply/delivery system
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fsm2.jpg
source: google image search

a. Float & fuel level sensor work together to get a sense of fuel level in the tank & reservoir
b. Fuel pump is the most important component of all, that is the pump that actually pressurises fuel and sends it to the engine
c. return tube is for fuel to come back from the engine - apparently most fuel pumps are designed to send excess fuel so that there never is a supply constraints and hence the need for a fuel regulator, which sits before the injection system to ensure that the right amount of fuel is sent to the injectors and rest is returned.

A little more detailed diagram with flow directions etc.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fsm1.jpg
source: google image search

As you can see, the fuel reservoir is the container which holds the fuel pump, filters and valves. From your pic that you had posted earlier, the white cylindrical container seen is the fuel reservoir and you can see the pump (silver cylinder within the reservoir with fuel lines shooting up).
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fsm3.jpg

Hence my guess is that when M&M says that the FDM has been replaced, then its the complete unit which has been replaced and not just the pump or reservoir.

But given that Sirvoicar already had his FDM replaced earlier this year, M&M finally decided to get off their backside and do some root cause analysis(RCA) to figure out what might be causing this problem. I hope they really did do some RCA and figured out that there was something wrong with the reservoir and hence replaced the same. IMHO the reservoir seems like a simple enough part that is used to primarily hold the pump, return fuel along with the pump fuel filter. Not sure why they would change this unless there is something structurally wrong. If that is the case, then they should issue a recall and change the same for all affected cars. Will be interesting to see what reason the GM provides to Sirviocar.

Last edited by procrj : 24th October 2016 at 10:33.
procrj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 23:09   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Coolant level is steady in the last one week.

On Monday 19 Sep, India Garage technicians visited my home and replaced the vacuum resonator with a higher capacity (20 cc) one, previous one was of 15 cc. They also replaced all the vacuum hoses with slightly bigger diameter hoses. ECU flashing was done. I have been told that this will fix engine knocking as well as power/pick-up issue.
After the upgrade of vacuum resonator and hoses, I did not encounter engine knocking problem in the last one month. It seems solution worked. Last week we had an event in our office, where I checked the 100BHP TUV3OO and found that it has a smaller vacuum resonator than my vehicle.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 08:50   #1420

Quote:
Hope your fuel delivery problems are fixed for good. Do share the explanation provided by service GM after you meet him.

Deepak, I was trying to understand the whole fuel supply system over the weekend and here is what I know from various Youtube videos and other forums.

The below pic highlights the most important parts of a modern day fuel supply/delivery system

a. Float & fuel level sensor work together to get a sense of fuel level in the tank & reservoir
b. Fuel pump is the most important component of all, that is the pump that actually pressurises fuel and sends it to the engine
c. return tube is for fuel to come back from the engine - apparently most fuel pumps are designed to send excess fuel so that there never is a supply constraints and hence the need for a fuel regulator, which sits before the injection system to ensure that the right amount of fuel is sent to the injectors and rest is returned.

A little more detailed diagram with flow directions etc.

As you can see, the fuel reservoir is the container which holds the fuel pump, filters and valves. From your pic that you had posted earlier, the white cylindrical container seen is the fuel reservoir and you can see the pump (silver cylinder within the reservoir with fuel lines shooting up).

Hence my guess is that when M&M says that the FDM has been replaced, then its the complete unit which has been replaced and not just the pump or reservoir.
Hi,

I like this one quality in people. Eagerness to learn and willingness to share it! And what more! You explained it in a simple way that I had to read it only once and the FMD is etched in my brain. Cheers, buddy!

I hope the basic mechanism is the same in all the cars of different brands. But this information is sufficient to understand whether the technician / engineer in front of you is duping you using some high level terminologies (which now you know ).
bhp4putuval is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 13:15   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
he just asked me to come over and meet him so that he can explain
Sirvoicar - did you manage to meet the GM service. Do share an update.
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:43   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Sirvoicar - did you manage to meet the GM service. Do share an update.
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding. In fact, I skipped last week to (test) drive the vehicle for some time and also wanted my seat belt replaced, so I thought the festive week was inappropriate to get both done in one visit.

Not much could be established in the meeting with GM Service, but the following was explained to me.
The Fuel Delivery Module (FDM) and Fuel Module Reservoir (FDR) is the same thing, i.e. the entire unit as seen in the picture. The part name must be FDR in their inventory system.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fdm-02-tbhp.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fdm-01-tbhp.jpg

The bottom white Plastic unit has everything, the Fuel Motor, all pressure sensors and the Fuel Jet (Pump). Only the Fuel Jet (bottom of the unit) is detachable and can be replaced separately. The rest of the unit is one piece. The Fuel Motor and the Fuel Jet are the most important parts in the fuel delivery system, they are driven by sensors and the central Processor (installed elsewhere). Both parts are critical and interdependent, the service centre cannot isolate the fault to an individual part; hence the entire unit is replaced.

Q 1 - Why it failed twice in my car, once when it was new, and again after 10k running? : No idea, bad luck maybe? But they have agreed to send the defective FDM and my car history to their R&D in Chennai for an explanation (not the job of the Chakan guys,it seems) and I should expect a reply by 3rd week of this month.

Q2 - Can it happen again/can it be avoided? : No answer

Furthermore, the 84 BHP model is history, they have made many changes (read corrections) in the 100 BHP model. The 84 BHP cannot be upgraded as the specifications, dimensions and even location of some parts/hoses and connectors are entirely new. The test driver told me that none of the 100 BHP cars have come to the service centre yet, looks like the product is stable and settled in the real world.
Sirvoicar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:18   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During long drives, I now have a question mark, whether drive will be trouble free? That is not a very pleasant experience after spending rupees one million. We are planning to drive to Goa from Bangalore during this month end. If this trip (round trip 1200+ kms) remains trouble free, will help to regain lost confidence.
I have completed Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore trip. The Tank did great and did not encounter any issue in this long drive (600+ kms one way)
airbus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:59   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both parts are critical and interdependent, the service centre cannot isolate the fault to an individual part; hence the entire unit is replaced.
Thanks for giving the update over here Sirvoicar. Hope the issue is fixed permanently and you never face the problem again.

Quote:
Furthermore, the 84 BHP model is history, they have made many changes (read corrections) in the 100 BHP model. The 84 BHP cannot be upgraded as the specifications, dimensions and even location of some parts/hoses and connectors are entirely new. The test driver told me that none of the 100 BHP cars have come to the service centre yet, looks like the product is stable and settled in the real world.
That is very sad news for all of us, owners of 84 BHP variant. So we have been made the guinea pigs

Quote:
I have completed Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore trip. The Tank did great and did not encounter any issue in this long drive (600+ kms one way)
Congratulations on completing a flawless trip airbus.

Now update from my side. Well all of you facing so many issues, how could my TUV remain aloof. Tonight @ 10:00pm I went to drop my sister at her residence and then my kids at their maternal uncle, hardly 5 kms from my home. I noticed the temperature gauge showing 6 bars (instead of the normal 4). At times it would dip to 5 and then back to 6. This happening when there is a chill in the outside air and the temperature hovering between 12-13 degree Celsius. I thought the garland that I put on the occasion of Diwali might be blocking air flow to the radiator and hence the temperature shooting up. When I came back home, I opened the bonnet, my sight first went on the coolant reservoir. Gosh the coolant reservoir had completely dried out . Refer the picture below. Just 2 days back I had checked the coolant level and it was sitting comfortably between max and min level. In these two days nothing major has happened for the coolant to completely vanish form the reservoir. Also my car parking floor is clean. I am wondering where all this coolant has gone. My job is cut out for tomorrow. Morning first thing is I will call the service advisor and take the car straightaway to workshop. Dad advised me to pour the one litre premixed coolant bottle in the reservoir now and check the coolant level in the morning. But I said no, let that one litre be kept as my lifeline for my travel from home to workshop tomorrow morning, fortunately workshop is under 3 km from my home. Will keep you posted what happens tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-coolant-reservoir-empty.jpg
Old 3rd November 2016, 00:46   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
When I came back home, I opened the bonnet, my sight first went on the coolant reservoir. Gosh the coolant reservoir had completely dried out . Refer the picture below. Just 2 days back I had checked the coolant level and it was sitting comfortably between max and min level. In these two days nothing major has happened for the coolant to completely vanish form the reservoir.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-parts-20.10.2016.jpg
If you observe the part list that was replaced in my car, the first 2 relate to the coolant system. There has to be an anticipated leakage in the system for them to replace the hose voluntarily. They may be changing it only when/and if the car comes for service.
Sirvoicar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks