Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 11:48   #286
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

The Tank has done 1600 kms, so far a smooth sailing. Yesterday morning i had foot in mouth moment when i cranked the Tank and no response, repeated a few times with the same result. Did the tank in neutral and viola it came to life, all my other car do take self when in gears. So its a good feature after all.

Last edited by nishant kar : 19th November 2015 at 11:49. Reason: grammatical error
nishant kar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 13:48   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant kar View Post
The Tank has done 1600 kms, so far a smooth sailing
Congrats on completing 1600 kms on your black tank . I am shy of 500km by just 1km. I thought once I reach office today I will click a picture of the 500km milestone, but the odo stuck to 499 like a glue. I am planning to give my friend a test drive in office today, may be that will nudge it to the 500 km mark, then I will take a picture. Nevertheless you are going to race ahead all of us like there was no tomorrow and I am sure none of us will be able to catch you. Keep munching miles

Quote:
Yesterday morning i had foot in mouth moment when i cranked the Tank and no response, repeated a few times with the same result. Did the tank in neutral and viola it came to life, all my other car do take self when in gears. So its a good feature after all.
Hey you are not alone, I have experienced this phenomenon at least 3-4 times in my TUV. I have a habit of leaving my car in home parking or office parking in the first gear and then pull the handbrake. For the last 11 years that I am driving cars, I always crank the engine with the clutch pedal fully pressed (car in first gear) and the same practice is being replicated in my TUV. On couple of occasions, when I have cranked the engine by turning the ignition key fully, nothing has happened, I mean the engine did not crank at all, as if the battery has gone dead. I turned the key back of off position waited for some time and then cranked again. Second time it started the engine as if nothing has happened. I quickly browsed through the owner's manual to understand why this is happening. Below is the procedure for starting the engine:

Page 153 of the Owner's Manual
Quote:
11.4 Starting the Engine
Make sure all vehicle occupants are properly seated in their seats and have buckled their safety belts. For more information on seat, headrest positioning, safety belts and their proper usage, refer to the “Seat Belts” section in this manual.

Conditions to be met before cranking the engine

• Make sure the gear shift lever is in neutral and clutch is fully pressed.
• The glow plug lamp has to switch off before the engine crank.
• The engine will start even if half turned and the above conditions are met.
• Make sure the parking brake is engaged. Turn the key to IGN position but do not turn the key to start.
• Few warning lamps briefly illuminate. See “Warning Lamps in the Instrument Cluster” section for more information.

Sequence of activities
1. Shift the gear shift lever to neutral position.
2. Apply parking brake.
3. Turn the ignition ON.
4. Do not press the accelerator.
5. Turn the key momentarily to the START position to crank the
6. Once the engine starts, release the key; it will return to the IGN position

Caution: Do not continue cranking after the engine has started. This will lead to damage of the starter and other engine components.

7. If the engine fails to start, attempt to restart after about 10 seconds by toggling the ignition
8. If the engine fails to start even after repeated attempts as per the procedure given above, contact the nearest Authorized Mahindra Dealer

If the vehicle battery has discharged, use booster cables, a booster battery or a battery from another vehicle to start. Jump-starting a vehicle can be dangerous if done improperly. Refer to the “Jump-starting procedure” section in this manual. If the engine still fails to start, contact an Authorized Mahindra Dealer for assistance.

The idle speed is controlled automatically and it will decrease as the engine warms up.
Observe the following when the engine is running;
• All warning lamps are OFF
• Low oil pressure lamp is OFF
After idling for a few seconds, release the parking brake, depress the clutch, shift the gear shift lever to 1st gear, release the service brake pedal, drive by releasing the clutch and pressing the accelerator pedal simultaneously.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 14:48   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations kings07 on getting your White polar bear - TUV T8 AMT (nice name)
True, yours is the second TUV AMT on TBHP and that too a white (like silverknight), what a coincidence. Good to know that your experience with the TUV has been flawless till date. How many kms have you driven it till date? Please start you separate ownership thread, meanwhile you can keep posting your observations here in this thread.?
Thanks AutoIndian. So far covered around 300kms. Yes, I will start a new thread after atleast the bear has covered 3000kms (around the time of first service) otherwise it will be too early to comment or judge on various aspects.

Quote:
Many congratulations kings07 on getting your White polar bear - TUV T8 AMT (nice name)
Did your TUV come with the Ceats of Apollos?
It came with the Appolls and cant complain about those tyres. But in my opinion Michelin ride quality is far better than others. Even the braking has improved a lot. Same kind of difference we have seen in my wife's Scorpio and Skoda with Michelin.
Quote:
Good shot comparing the yerteryear's workhorse with the new kid on the block. TUV's bonnet appears to be shorter than that of the Bolero. If possible can you take a measuring tape and measure the difference between the two?
Thanks AutoIndian. Yes that's true, Bolero bonnet is longer. Me and in-law have planned to do a very detailed comparison between his Bolero and TUV in and out. We will spend some time next month and come up with a separate thread for this.
kings07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 15:43   #289
BHPian

In this well documented TUV300 review (thanks Tushar!), I did notice that the AMT is sourced from Ricardo. By any chance, do we have more technical details available on the AMT system deployed here (something similar to a typical dissection)?
Old 19th November 2015, 17:38   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally booked the Tank today. Now the wait begins!

Edit: T8 Manual Red

Last edited by procrj : 19th November 2015 at 17:47.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 17:45   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Cool, what variant ?
silverknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 18:38   #292
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats RJ! When is the delivery expected?
achyu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 19:07   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So finally you have taken the jump. What is the expected delivery date? Also please share the on road price and its breakup.

Edit: Friends, wanted to share this with you in my earlier post, but for forgot. Today morning while dusting the car, I thought I will take a quick peek under the hood. Hence opened the bonnet. Everything looked just fine, all fluid levels were OK. Wanted to check the engine oil level. Hence grabbed the yellow head of oil dip stick with my right hand and pulled it out. While doing so I was not careful and brushed my right hand thumb back against the black engine cover, which is quite hard and sharp. I had a minor cut on the back side of my thumb, fortunately it did not bleed. Just wanted to warn everyone, when you are taking out the oil dip stick, be very very careful, else the sharp edges of the engine cover can cause you some injury.

Notice the plastic engine cover sharp edges (encircled) is precariously close to the oil dip stick handle (yellow colour)
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151119_165220.jpg

Not just the plastic cover, but the two steel clips holding the coolant return pipe can also cause injury if proper care is not taken
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151119_165157.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 19th November 2015 at 19:34.
AutoIndian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 19:12   #294

Quote:

Congrats procrj. TUV looks best in Red. I too like that color but my family choice was White. What is the waiting time in Bangalore?
kings07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 20:45   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj

Congrats, procrj! Great to hear that you crossed the decision-making chasm and went with the tank. Titanium also has a manual red tank. So, there are at least 2 manual red tanks here in the forum.
narenteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 20:51   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Congrats, procrj! Great to hear that you crossed the decision-making chasm and went with the tank. Titanium also has a manual red tank. So, there are at least 2 manual red tanks here in the forum.
Minor correction narenteam mate. After Titanium, the 2nd manual red tank's privilege goes to Sandev (Sandeep). So procrj's would be the third red manual over here.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 21:39   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
I came late from Mumbai yesterday, just now I have emailed customercare..........I got the vehicle home, driving with hazards lights on.
I sure problem is with AMT mechanism, the clutch disengages and AMT stops working.
Hello Silverknight, its a real shame to be facing the kind of predicament you are facing and my sympathies are all with you.

I've been following your post with the great interest since I too hope to plonk my hard-earned on the AMT version, notwithstanding your hair-raising experience - as you said, you were lucky not to have faced a disaster on the road!

One thing which I hope you can clear up for me is the fact that you were able to drive the vehicle home with the hazard lights on. Does this mean that even with the AMT failure the clutch can be engaged/disengaged and you can engage the gears & transmit engine torque to the wheels ?
Looking forward to your continuing report with the deepest interest !
Old 19th November 2015, 22:41   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Congrats RJ! When is the delivery expected?
Quote:
So finally you have taken the jump. What is the expected delivery date? Also please share the on road price and its breakup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Cool, what variant ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings07 View Post
Congrats procrj. TUV looks best in Red. I too like that color but my family choice was White. What is the waiting time in Bangalore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Congrats, procrj!
Thank a lot achyu, AutoIndian, silverknight, kings07 & narenteam. SA has promised delivery within 30 days but will get a clearer picture by this time next week. Hoping to take delivery earlier but am not counting on it as the SA did mention that there is a long list of T8s which are still pending delivery.

Details:
TUV 300 - T8 Manual Dynamo Red
Ex showroom: 8,63,861
Road tax+RTO: 1,34,939
Insurance(B2B): 21,000 (Self - did not avail from showroom)
Total On road: 10,19,770

Freebies: Floor mats + perfume + idol
Availing the SBI Advantage car loan (Loan @ Floating rate + OD) at 9.85% interest.

Question: Are TUV owners part of the Purple Club? The booking docket does contains a couple of pages with info on Purple club and was asked to fill a form with various personal preferences as well. Other owners please confirm.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 23:02   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
One thing which I hope you can clear up for me is the fact that you were able to drive the vehicle home with the hazard lights on. Does this mean that even with the AMT failure the clutch can be engaged/disengaged and you can engage the gears & transmit engine torque to the wheels ?
Looking forward to your continuing report with the deepest interest !
Hey Shashanka,

AMT did not fail as per M&M, it was fuel delivery module which was faulty and made the car jerk and reduce speed. Everything is well now, please see my thread on this topic for details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...downshift.html
silverknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 07:13   #300
BANNED

Quote:

Terrific procrj! And now will look forward to your posts too, together with AutoIndian's, Silverknight's, T-Rex's and all the other happy TUV owners!
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed