Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 15:29   #871
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

To all TUV AMT owners - Do we have any options for placing a footrest ?
Old 14th March 2016, 18:25   #872

As the battle for the compact SUV is heating up. I would really request any of the current TUV owners that is other than procrj, autoindian, captain Rex. To atleast share their experience in a short post if not a full fledged ownership report.
It will really help potential buyers dissatisfied with the Brezza and think the ecosport is too small.
Reports of unexplained problems with the engine that required people to be flown in from Chennai is rather unsettling 😦
SDtorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 13:05   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
While we are on this topic of vibrations, my TUV RHS front door vibration vanished after I took it up upon myself
That's good, Sathyasuri. Inspired, even I opened the 4 screws on the front driver side door and pulled the panel out slightly. Was a little skeptical to pull it out completely. Does it have any wires or any other fittings attached to it or can I just apply force and pull it out?

There are annoying rattles on my door and I would like to do a DIY fix. I am planning to cut foam pieces and stick them like what the service guy did for AutoIndian's tank

By the way, I do get occasional vibrations near the passenger side air bag as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshRajpal View Post
Hi Guys,

I am a new kid on the block. Recently purchased the tank. In fact on 29th February to be precise. Just in time before the government introduced the cess. Its a T8 and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Loading a few pics here.
Congratulations Rajesh and welcome to the club.

Quote:
Got seat covers fitted at a cost of Rs.6400. Sharing a few pics.
You have got good seat covers and at an amazing price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
To all TUV AMT owners - Do we have any options for placing a footrest ?
There's obviously lot of place for your left foot as the brake pedal of TUV is of normal size (and not the wide ones that you get on other automatics). However, I am not sure how you can build a dead pedal. May be get something made by a carpenter and then wrap it carefully with nomad carpet but then it needs to be carefully fixed to avoid any interference with brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDtorque View Post
As the battle for the compact SUV is heating up. I would really request any of the current TUV owners that is other than procrj, autoindian, captain Rex. To atleast share their experience in a short post if not a full fledged ownership report.
It will really help potential buyers dissatisfied with the Brezza and think the ecosport is too small.
Reports of unexplained problems with the engine that required people to be flown in from Chennai is rather unsettling 😦
Hi SDtorque - I am driving TUV for a month and a half now and here are my quick observations.

What I like -
  • Amazing looks; its an absolute head turner. Many times when I stop, people walk over and ask about the car. One such interesting moment was when I was at Orchis seat covers in Mumbai and Shiney Ahuja (of Bollywood movie Gangster fame) was there. He spoke to me for about 10 minutes about the car!
  • Nice overall space inside - especially, head room and shoulder room
  • Sitting a head above everyone else on road is amazing
  • Decent interiors
  • Good mileage
  • Smooth gear shifts, remember this is an AMT and not AT
  • AMT gear shift rod is quite nice and smooth. Gears can be changed manually at anytime without any jerks
  • Static bending headlamps - lights up dark roads really well while turning
  • Good straightline control, extremely well controlled body roll (surprisingly it's almost as good as my SX4, for its height)
  • Good storage space, 2nd row seat back rest can be folded easily without effort
  • Very well managed NVH levels inside cabin - when windows rolled up and on AC
  • Powerful AC

What I don't like -
  • Rattles - Especially on drive side door and on the left side of dashboard. These can probably be fixed by the service center or by a careful DIY.
  • Pick up after 100 kmph is bad. Blame the 3 cylinder 81 BHP engine.
  • Moreover, at speeds of 110+ the tank doesn't inspire confidence of control. May be its just me and I'll get more confident as I drive longer on highways
  • Occasional vibrations on A-pedal
  • The leg room in second row could have been better. It's better than immediate rival EcoSport but when I push my seat to a comfortable driving position (I am 6'1" tall), the second row leg space behind the drive seat is bad
  • Head room for jump seats is bad and good only for people shorter than may be 5'6"
  • Seats are in general stiffer and less comfortable than a sedan - probably it's not right to compare a Jeep style SUV with a C-class sedan on this parameter
rajpvrm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 13:54   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
Hi SDtorque - I am driving TUV for a month and a half now and here are my quick observations.
You owned SX4 too. What, in your opinion, are the advantages/disadvantages of TUV over SX4? I ask this as SX4 is nothing less than a SUV if we compare the current 'compact SUVs' awailable in market.
Old 15th March 2016, 15:43   #875
BHPian

Quote:
... Does it have any wires or any other fittings attached to it or can I just apply force and pull it out?

There are annoying rattles on my door and I would like to do a DIY fix. I am planning to cut foam pieces and stick them like what the service guy did for AutoIndian's tank

By the way, I do get occasional vibrations near the passenger side air bag as well.
Hi Rajpvrm, apart from the 4 screws (circled in green in the below pic) visible, there is one in the door unlock latch panel (circled in white in the below pic) and 2/3 screws inside the door handle itself. The door handle is made of two parts like a panel (attaches to the side panel itself)and lid (chrome cover in your case) arrangement. If you observe keenly around the edge of the the door handle, it would have a small recess (like in a mobile phone's back to open back panel), insert a screw driver with cloth on its tip on to the recess carefully and pull the handle lid, it would peel out to expose the hidden screws. Remove these screws as well and gently pull out the entire panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-door_handle.jpg  

sathyasuri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 18:41   #876

Quote:
That's good, Sathyasuri. Inspired, even I opened the 4 screws on the front driver side door and pulled the panel out slightly. Was a little skeptical to pull it out completely. Does it have any wires or any other fittings attached to it or can I just apply force and pull it out?

Congratulations Rajesh and welcome to the club.

You have got good seat covers and at an amazing price.

There's obviously lot of place for your left foot as the brake pedal of TUV is of normal size (and not the wide ones that you get on other automatics). However, I am not sure how you can build a dead pedal. May be get something made by a carpenter and then wrap it carefully with nomad carpet but then it needs to be carefully fixed to avoid any interference with brake.

What I like - [list][*]Amazing looks; its an absolute head turner. Many times when I stop, people walk over and ask about the car. One such interesting moment was when I was at Orchis seat covers in Mumbai and Shiney Ahuja (of Bollywood movie Gangster fame) was there. He spoke to me for about 10 minutes about the car![*]Nice overall space inside - especially, head room and shoulder room[*]Sitting a head above everyone else on road is amazing[*]Decent interiors[*]Good mileage[*]Smooth gear shifts, remember this is an AMT and not AT[*]AMT gear shift rod is quite nice and smooth. Gears can be changed manually at anytime without any jerks[*]Static bending headlamps - lights up dark roads really well while turning[*]Good straightline control, extremely well controlled body roll (surprisingly it's almost as good as my SX4, for its height)

Thanks a lot for this rajpvrm my confidence is boosted for not blindly falling into the sedan like SUV craze.
What good to drive like a racer when you can drive like a king.

This clearly rules out the ecosport.
And the torquey engine must be surely better than the laggy ddis200 of the brezza.

Two things are of concern that is did you face any of the
*sudden stop and refuse to start
*noisy and less powerful when cold
Issues with the engine?

I would also want to ask anyone who can provide any information about the availability of the endurance edition t@nk at the auto expo. It looked spectacular😍
Is there a chance it is an after sale customization?
Old 15th March 2016, 21:18   #877
BHPian

Hi Friends. Took delivery of my Tuv300 T8 Manual today. Will give a detailed post on PDI and my experience shortly. Drove it from dealership to home (around 15 km) in bumper to bumper traffic, but still it was one amazing experience.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-p_20160315_173828_1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 16th March 2016 at 06:49. Reason: Inserting image in post
rishee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 12:32   #878
Senior - BHPian

For last couple of weeks, I have slight discomfort in my left leg near knee particularly on days of driving in heavy traffic. Could it be related to my seat positioning or is it due to slight hard clutch? Earlier I was driving Maruti Estilo. I have been driving TUV300 T8 MT for nearly 3 months. Now I have a feeling that it may have been better if I have taken AMT.
Old 16th March 2016, 12:40   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
Hi Friends. Took delivery of my Tuv300 T8 Manual today. Will give a detailed post on PDI and my experience shortly. Drove it from dealership to home (around 15 km) in bumper to bumper traffic, but still it was one amazing experience.

Attachment 1486125
Congrats Rishee for your new Tank. Can you please post more details about wrapping done and other accessories with price ect.
Old 16th March 2016, 12:55   #880
BHPian

So guys who own the Tank :

What's the final verdict on the fuel efficiency in the:

1) City
2)Highway
??
Old 16th March 2016, 17:13   #881

Quote:

Attachment 1486125
Congratulations rishee how did you get this black roof ? Is it an accessory ? Or a third party custom paint job ?

Wish you many happy miles with the tank and eagerly waiting for your review.
Old 16th March 2016, 21:01   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
For last couple of weeks, I have slight discomfort in my left leg near knee particularly on days of driving in heavy traffic. Could it be related to my seat positioning or is it due to slight hard clutch? Earlier I was driving Maruti Estilo. I have been driving TUV300 T8 MT for nearly 3 months. Now I have a feeling that it may have been better if I have taken AMT.
Yes, my dear. I also felt like that in the beginning. May be it has to do something with our height. I am 5.6. Donno urs. Then I lowered the seat to the extent possible. The idea was to ensure that with clutch fully pressed, my leg should be in bent position and not straight. Nothing invented by me though, its in the TUVs manual. Now the pain is a little less. May be with the passage of time, the clutch will also free up a little. But I will definitely talk about it with the service guys on first service.
RajeshRajpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 21:05   #883

Quote:

Attachment 1486125
Hey congratulations. Welcome to the Gang. Enjoy the ride.
Old 16th March 2016, 21:42   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
So guys who own the Tank :

What's the final verdict on the fuel efficiency in the:

1) City
2)Highway
??
I have done about 4000 km so far, the fuel consumption stands at 11-12kmpl under Chennai traffic conditions(FYI, I drive through some of the congested stretches) & highway runs return ~15kmpl.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 01:07   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends. Took delivery of my Tuv300 T8 Manual today.
Congrats rishee. Looks like you will have a great time with the tank!

Most Viewed