Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 11:49   #916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
This ECO mode and the ESS thing does not seem to be beneficial as advertised by M&M.
I have done a full tank today. I have got a FE of 11.85 kmpl using Eco mode + ESS in Bengaluru city condition. Going for a long drive during this weekend, but on highways I prefer Normal mode. I would doubt that in city condition Eco mode can show any visible improvement in FE.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 09:19   #917

Union budget will lead to price revision of at around 20000 to 25000 depending on model to model. Also, rival Maruti Brezza has been launched recently which is an excellent package. However, in face of stiff competition TUV can still be an attractive proposition as it is true blue SUV and a 7 seated. However, Mahindra should come out either with a price cut as Ford ecosport or add new features to remain relevant in the competition.
The following upgrades are needed to make TUV an irresistible compact SUV:
1. A 100 BHP engine option.
2. All black interiors.
3. Cruise control.
4. Cooled glove box.
5. Projector headlamps.
6. Adjustable recline of rear seat.
7. Rear parking camera.
8. Better multi function touch screen.
9. Rain sensing vipers.
10. Rear AC vents.
11. Dead pedal in auto version.
12. Lap belts in jump seats.
13. Mood lighting.
14. Front bumper and side cladding.
I think people won't mind Mahindra raising the price of such a version by another 25000. Also, the upgraded version will hold attention even in face of challenge posed by Brezza, or in no time even TUV will become history. Mahindra please note.!
Old 25th March 2016, 10:10   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
This ECO mode and the ESS thing does not seem to be beneficial as advertised by M&M.
So now no more ECO mode. The ESS is still on. At least I can reduce adding to the pollution while waiting at signals, if not saving on the fuel.
I fully concur with Captain. I feel the tank will give an average of 10 - 13 KmPL in day-to-day usage in cities. The vehicle needs to be around 300 kgs lighter with the same power configuration to come anywhere near the advertised mileage by M&M.
The TUV is more about the thrill of driving a SUV with an additional role of a family sedan. In cricketing terms it is an Allrounder. Whether it is a batting allrounder, or a bowling allrounder, will always be a debate.
Old 25th March 2016, 10:42   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
Guys, I noticed something interesting regarding the tyre pressure. I think M&M recommended tyre pressure of 32 psi earlier and now it's 35 psi for the same tyre size - 215/75 R15.

Note my car is Jan 2016 manufactured.
Questions -
  1. What are others following?
  2. What could be the reasons for changing the tyre pressure by M&M?
  3. Can users from Oct/Nov/Dec 2015 and Feb 2016 confirm the tyre pressure recommended on their tank?
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dcal-6.jpg
1. Dont know about others, I fill 32 psi.

2.M&M is confused it seems, between 32 psi and 35 psi. The TUV giving lower mileage than advertised is a common complaint. It is a choice between comfort and Mileage.

3. I tried the range , ie 32 psi to 35 psi. I have settled for 32 psi as it gives me the most comfortable ride in Mumbai going over uneven roads and manhole covers. As you go to higher psi you will find the vehicle bouncy. Your wife will be the first to complain, it will no more be a sedan ride. However on highways you can go a point or 2 higher considering a better road surface. I found the TUV smooth as silk on tarred highways (rather than concrete), it just floats at speeds from 90 kmph to 110 kmph.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:33   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambikr View Post
The following upgrades are needed to make TUV an irresistible compact SUV:
1. A 100 BHP engine option.
2. All black interiors.
3. Cruise control.
4. Cooled glove box.
5. Projector headlamps.
6. Adjustable recline of rear seat.
7. Rear parking camera.
8. Better multi function touch screen.
9. Rain sensing vipers.
10. Rear AC vents.
11. Dead pedal in auto version.
12. Lap belts in jump seats.
13. Mood lighting.
14. Front bumper and side cladding.
I think people won't mind Mahindra raising the price of such a version by another 25000.
Wait for T10 variant!

Its normal for M&M to release an upgraded variant after testing the market. Just like in the case of XUV (W10), expect M&M to launch T10 with features mentioned above, may be next year. To the list I think we can add option of full automatic (not AMT) and AWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
Attachment 1490260
1. Dont know about others, I fill 32 psi.

2.M&M is confused it seems, between 32 psi and 35 psi. The TUV giving lower mileage than advertised is a common complaint. It is a choice between comfort and Mileage.
Interesting, lets also hear from other experts here on right tyre pressure.

In the pic I see you have Ciat Czar tyres. I got Apollo Apterra with my tank. Could this be reason for diffrent recommended tyre pressure by M&M?
Old 26th March 2016, 12:19   #921
BHPian

Once again that truck sound started coming with strange behaviour of AMT with jerks. Drove straight to service center this time. There are couple of engineers came from Mahindra side for TUVs problems. Lets see what comes out.

I have recorded a video as well this time, will upload soon on YouTube.
Old 26th March 2016, 13:10   #922
BHPian

In regards to my last post please find the link below and you may notice the jerks very clearly. AMT ECU is already in latest version.

Moderator can you please merge both posts?

Last edited by ezee : 26th March 2016 at 13:14.
Old 26th March 2016, 22:36   #923
BHPian

I was going through 1 ecomm site, wherein i came across this.
It claims to offer 35% more power
However, it mentions that benefits are enjoyed only after using this for 200 kms.
Any comments from BHPians?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160326_222359.jpg  

Inner Voice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 09:47   #924
BHPian

Oh man. Is the TUV really this noisy? This sounds like a commercial goods vehicle rather than a personal vehicle. There doesn't seem to be any refinement whatsoever. No offense to you but hearing the sound from the video, I'm kinda disappointed. I had some high hopes initially from an Indian manufacturer.
Old 27th March 2016, 10:46   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Oh man. Is the TUV really this noisy? This sounds like a commercial goods vehicle rather than a personal vehicle. There doesn't seem to be any refinement whatsoever. No offense to you but hearing the sound from the video, I'm kinda disappointed. I had some high hopes initially from an Indian manufacturer.
This is not the real engine noise but some undiagnosed fault produces this noise for around 2 - 4 kms during first crank of the day. The problem is by the time i reach service center the noise is gone resulting engineers not able to trace the source of noise.
Old 27th March 2016, 12:04   #926
BHPian

After a long gap, here is a quick update on my tank, post 3 months of ownership and 3.5k kms of tarmac.

1. No regrets so far of having spent more than a million Indian rupees on the tank.
2. The tank is due for its first check up, planning to do it next week - the tank did have its modulator and fdm changes/corrections done in the first month post purchase - no issues faced so far.
3. There is a creaking sound from the passenger side front seat - only if its occupied, feel the seat may have to be re-installed.
4. As mentioned by quite a few owners here, the tank does sound like a Tempo Traveler at times - I have observed this when the tank is cold - a couple of throttle pedal "race" and when the engine warms up, the sound disappears. Not sure if my observation is consistent with what others may have experienced. Also the tank sound varies between a sputter (at low rpm) to a whine (when the rpm rises) to a soft purr when driven at 4th and 5th gear.
5. I let a kid sit in the drivers seat and he managed to mess with the ORVM control dial - its now twisted 180 degrees and am unable to adjust the OVRMs. Need to get this corrected - wonder how much will it cost?
6. The seat covers get soiled pretty easily - this might be one item I will change pretty quickly.
7. The milage is around 12.5 to 13kms to the liter - hopefully post the first service it might go up.
8. Took the tank on two long drives in the last 20 days - one from Bangalore>Mysore>Nanjangud>Waynad and back. Another one from Bangalore>Salem>Palakkad>Eranakulam and back. The tank managed the ghats, twists and turns really well. My old figo would tire at upward gradients, this boy managed it all well. One thing I was conscious about was to keep it under 110kmph and sub 3k rotations on the RPM.
9. Also managed to drive the car fully loaded with 7 adults and their office bags, while it was stuffy, the tank managed the load and the roads well, and did a good job to evading all the high altitude speed breakers of Bangalore.
10. The A/C worked like a charm in the hot and humid climes of Kerala - would start the fan speed at 2 and reduce it to one after 20 mins of cooling - so kudos to M&M for the air conditioning.
11. got good feedback from the occupants of the car in terms of in cabin seating and cooling comfort during the long drives - the rear seats are only suitable for kids.
BattleTank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 16:02   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
In regards to my last post please find the link below and you may notice the jerks very clearly. AMT ECU is already in latest version.
Hi Ezee, I have the AMT T8 as well and have gotten this sound twice in almost 3 months of ownership. Have gotten the first service done with all the upgrades et al, but still got the sound. I think with tuv you cant throttle on the cold engine. Over all am a satisfied with the vehicle. My previous one was sx4 zxi and prior to that palio.

Btw, I cant post the comments using mobile app, hence dont get to cotribute to this thread as often as I would want despite reading all the messages.
Old 28th March 2016, 10:10   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Just back from a long drive over the long weekend and the odo stands at 6.5K Kms.

My cents on the way the tank is performing:
1. 2 lane, 4 lane, no road, mud road, road joints, bumpy culverts, broken patches or smooth black tarmac - the tank takes it all in its stride and does not loose its composure when you are driving it steadily even at 110 kmph
2. Sufficient torque for the short sprint (as long as you remain in the 1.5 - 2.75k rev range) required to overtake heavy moving vehicles in 2 lane highways. Need to be careful when you are doing this on an incline as the weight of the vehicle requires you to down shift else you will need to really step on the A pedal
3. Ergonomics & Comfort a big plus - seat comfort is very good as even after 4 hours of non stop 6 Lane highway driving in moderate-high traffic conditions, there is minimal fatigue. Driver footwell has sufficient space to find a comfortable position even for someone with large feet (size 11 footwear)
4. AC is a chiller and I have never had to go above 2 fan speed in AC eco mode. No complaint from rear seat passengers either hence the lack of ACC is not a deal breaker even during summers.
5. Highway manners at 100-110 kmph is very confidence inspiring - steering feedback is adequate, braking is also adequate as long as you plan it well, road + wind noise is controlled as long as you have some music playing & ride is very comfortable without a lot of body roll or upward surges when driving over road undulation
6. Static bending lamps are very useful when driving on dark roads with zero lighting however the throw of the low beam is not great. Planning to upgrade to Philips Xtreme vision and get the lights levelled
7. F.E is my only crib Highway speeds of 100-110 kmph with 100% AC eco mode returns anywhere between 14.5 - 15 kmpl with 4 passengers + luggage on board.
8. A pillar blind spot - not sure if others have experienced this but the driver side A pillar can easily hide a 2 wheeler at intersections. Learned this during the recent trip and hence have to be extra careful while driving uphill on narrow roads. Have been peeping out the driver window & erring on the side of caution ever since.

Niggles
1. Window rattles - both my front windows rattle when I am driving at low speeds and hence planning to ask the service centre to change both winding mechanisms to stop this.
2. Squeak from clutch pedal when released - observed this a couple of times yesterday. Need to check if this repeats and get this fixed
3. Cold start generating a lot of diesel clatter - similar to the sound in the video by ezee but in his video, the AMT seems to be lugging the tank & hence the clatter is increased significantly. I usually keep the engine at 1.8 - 2K rpm when driving for the first 4-5km and hence the clatter is reduced but still exists

What I would love to have
1. Cruise control - absolute must if a lot of drives will be on 4/6L express ways
2. Projector headlights - keep imagining the tank with a red angel eye Would look fabulously wicked
3. A little more power - there is sufficient power to go from 110-140 kmph but it takes a while and the wind+road noise above 120 kmph is ghastly!

All in all 100% satisfied with my red dwarf and looking forward to drive the twisties over the next couple of months.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rd1.jpg
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 10:15   #929
BHPian

I drive a manual T8, 3 months old and having done 7500 kms. Today morning while driving to work, it suddenly lost substantial power and was knocking badly. Even the idling sound was much more than normal.

I turned it off, and waited for 3-4 minutes, restarted the car and the problem vanished. What might be the problem? Should I go to service center now or wait for problem to re-occur?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 28th March 2016, 12:27   #930
BHPian

Tweeted my problems regarding truck sound to Anand Mahindra and Vivek Nayer and got reply that customer care team with Zonal head will be looking into the problem.

On the day when video recorded (26 March) I was on the way to showroom for HSRP installation but after only 1 km of drive engine started sounding like anything, straight away talked to service center head and cootek engineer who requested to bring TUV to service center, so instead of going to showroom I drove to service center where few engineers from Mahindra were there and already called a TUV of one of my known for same problem.

They are aware of this problem and were already working on the solution. Tested my TUV with couple of test drives, live data recording but they could not reproduce the sound, as it happens mostly with the first crank of the day and engine idle for at-least 12 hours. But as per the call received from Delhi NCR head of Mahindra Mr Ravi Khurana, they have detected a software bug which was responsible for producing this kind of sound and a patch has been applied to me and my friends TUVs. Now our TUVs are on watch for next 15-20 days to check re-occurrence of the problem. If problem resurfaces then they will further analyse otherwise it will be marked as fixed (may be to others as well with a ECU update).

I am not sure this happens with AMT only or Manuals as well but anyone who can match similar sound as in posted video must contact Mahindra to look in to it and apply the fix.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks