Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 15:59   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I drive a manual T8, 3 months old and having done 7500 kms. Today morning while driving to work, it suddenly lost substantial power and was knocking badly. Even the idling sound was much more than normal.

I turned it off, and waited for 3-4 minutes, restarted the car and the problem vanished. What might be the problem? Should I go to service center now or wait for problem to re-occur?

Thanks

Nitin
Hey ntomer, I had faced exactly the same situation about a month back, suddenly loosing substantial power and knocking badly. After I stopped the car for a tankful and started again, the problem completely vanished. I initially thought this could be because of low fuel, but then as you mentioned, switching off the engine for refueling could have made the trick.
Old 28th March 2016, 20:27   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
They are aware of this problem and were already working on the solution. Tested my TUV with couple of test drives, live data recording but they could not reproduce the sound, as it happens mostly with the first crank of the day and engine idle for at-least 12 hours.
I had similar sound but for me every time it occurred during evening hours while returning from office with about 8+ hours of idle time. First vacuum resonator was replaced. Then I was called for ECU software update. Again, during first servicing last week, they updated the ECU software. I have not faced the problem in the last 50+ days.

Last edited by airbus : 28th March 2016 at 20:27. Reason: Removed duplicate word.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:30   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Tweeted my problems regarding truck sound to Anand Mahindra and Vivek Nayer and got reply that customer care team with Zonal head will be looking into the problem.

On the day when video recorded (26 March) I was on the way to showroom for HSRP installation but after only 1 km of drive engine started sounding like anything, straight away talked to service center head and cootek engineer who requested to bring TUV to service center, so instead of going to showroom I drove to service center where few engineers from Mahindra were there and already called a TUV of one of my known for same problem.

They are aware of this problem and were already working on the solution. Tested my TUV with couple of test drives, live data recording but they could not reproduce the sound, as it happens mostly with the first crank of the day and engine idle for at-least 12 hours. But as per the call received from Delhi NCR head of Mahindra Mr Ravi Khurana, they have detected a software bug which was responsible for producing this kind of sound and a patch has been applied to me and my friends TUVs. Now our TUVs are on watch for next 15-20 days to check re-occurrence of the problem. If problem resurfaces then they will further analyse otherwise it will be marked as fixed (may be to others as well with a ECU update).

I am not sure this happens with AMT only or Manuals as well but anyone who can match similar sound as in posted video must contact Mahindra to look in to it and apply the fix.
Sometimes I wonder what we as customers do to our vehicles that such problems are reported. Do we go and kick the engine or take a stone and thrash it and then start or just pray that God please screw up our cars so that we can report to manufacturer . And at the same time manufacturer's long on road testing doesn't catch such stuff. This is not to put any dampener on prospective buyer (me included) or the current owners. But yes, it does break heart sometimes! ECU s/w updates, resonator issues, doesn't bode well with QC.

Last edited by ambujlal : 29th March 2016 at 08:32.
Old 29th March 2016, 13:04   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Sometimes I wonder what we as customers do to our vehicles that such problems are reported. Do we go and kick the engine or take a stone and thrash it and then start or just pray that God please screw up our cars so that we can report to manufacturer . And at the same time manufacturer's long on road testing doesn't catch such stuff. This is not to put any dampener on prospective buyer (me included) or the current owners. But yes, it does break heart sometimes! ECU s/w updates, resonator issues, doesn't bode well with QC.
Very well said. I too got disappointed and greatly surprised by seeing first hand performance of the AMT version. It was as jerky as anything with problem of hard knocking sound from the very starting (with all models). I was thinking that either Mahindra road test were too overlooked or under pressure to launch model ASAP, that they ignored these problems leaving on customers to report them and then we will fix.

What was the impression that customer who is spending a million rupees will bear with the niggles and will not report or will digest or was it planned to do the rest of the road test with customers only?

I personally feel that it has become a habit of majority of Indian auto companies to go like this as these problems do not have any legal impact or effect on immediate sale... but I tell you customer mindset is changing and now with the effect of social platforms it does create a big dent.

Jaago Mahindra Jaago !!
ezee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 13:34   #935
BHPian

Quote:
What was the impression that customer who is spending a million rupees will bear with the niggles and will not report or will digest or was it planned to do the rest of the road test with customers only?

I personally feel that it has become a habit of majority of Indian auto companies to go like this as these problems do not have any legal impact or effect on immediate sale... but I tell you customer mindset is changing and now with the effect of social platforms it does create a big dent.
I was at car spa yesterday getting my tank a good wash after a long drive. While waiting I was chatting with a guy who had got his XUV W10 for a wash. He bought it during Diwali 2015 and has faced several problems. There was a whisteling sound from his car from day 1 and after multiple follow ups and service center visits the problem was zeroed to turbocharger which was replaced by M&M. The cost of the unit was approx 40K but was obviously changed for free. His car's touch screen infotainment system apparently hangs sometimes and needs to be restarted.

On a different note, I took the tank on a Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai drive this long weekend and it behaved really well. The pick up, highway cruise, ghat control and comfort were excellent. In fact, my family said they didn't feel as if it was 12 hour drive. There were no issues or problems during the 1400 km trip and I just loved the drive. The only major concern was on the mileage which was 12.6 kmpl while going and 12 on the return. This is too less for a highway drive. Before heading to the drive, the last mileage in city was 10.5 kmpl and I thought it dropped as it was immediately after the first service and some fuel might have been removed/lost during the servicing. Will observe for another 1-2 fills in city and report to service center if required. Barring the mileage part, I am really happy with the tank!
rajpvrm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 23:33   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
On a different note, I took the tank on a Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai drive this long weekend and it behaved really well. The pick up, highway cruise, ghat control and comfort were excellent. In fact, my family said they didn't feel as if it was 12 hour drive. There were no issues or problems during the 1400 km trip and I just loved the drive. The only major concern was on the mileage which was 12.6 kmpl while going and 12 on the return. This is too less for a highway drive. Before heading to the drive, the last mileage in city was 10.5 kmpl and I thought it dropped as it was immediately after the first service and some fuel might have been removed/lost during the servicing. Will observe for another 1-2 fills in city and report to service center if required. Barring the mileage part, I am really happy with the tank!
I did exactly the same trip at the same time. I have done 2 back to back trips over a span of 2 months in my tank from Mum to Goa and back. Can really vouch for every word you wrote. I am loving the driving experience every bit. The tank is slightly slower than cars like Ecosport etc, but hold the ground well at 120+ and can easily overtake such cars on the curves with ease without making the occupants uncomfortable. Slightly slower means by merely few seconds. I guess it is due to the weight which gives tank it's stability to hold the ground. So to win some you lose some.

My car returned the mileage of 14.5 kmpl for this trip with 4 occupants and completely packed boot with folded seats. Previous trip it had returned the mileage of 15.5 kmpl with 2 occupants. I 35 psi in all 4 tires. Mine is AMT for the record.

I have had 3 updates. 1 for resonator, 1 for software and recent was for ECU flashing. Off-late I hear fine tik tik tik sound on stepping off from the accelerator pedal. Hope nothing serious.

The only niggle i faced till date in my 4.6k km run is 'kich kich' sound from the driver seat. Will get it sorted.

The engineer in Mahindra on my last visit assured me this is a much better product than the XUV which is known for many more niggles. Happy with my decision overall.
TaurusAl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 10:26   #937
BHPian

We'll probably get a TUV500 with a proper 4 cylinder engine.

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...lo-131547.html
drsingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 11:22   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
We'll probably get a TUV500 with a proper 4 cylinder engine.

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...lo-131547.html
Looks like the upcoming "nuvo sport" will have a 100 bhp version of the 3 cylinder Tuv300 engine. (http://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahindr...details-leaked)

This is step motherly treatment of the TUV by Mahindra.

Looks like Mahindra's strategy is to place NuvoSport in a higher segment than TUV hence the bump in power. 100bhp would really improve the top end of the TUV which is one of its principal weakness.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 09:48   #939
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a manual T8, 3 months old and having done 7500 kms. Today morning while driving to work, it suddenly lost substantial power and was knocking badly. Even the idling sound was much more than normal.

I turned it off, and waited for 3-4 minutes, restarted the car and the problem vanished. What might be the problem? Should I go to service center now or wait for problem to re-occur?

Thanks

Nitin
The problem hasn't resurfaced ever since, but I am skeptical about the car now. Anybody else faced this in a manual?

Nitin
Old 31st March 2016, 12:05   #940
BHPian

Again at service center due to that knocking problem. This time even bad situation the AMT warning light came on and TUV refused to drive in auto mode.

Some error caught lets see what they do.
Old 31st March 2016, 15:38   #941
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks

Nitin
Guys:

The TUV comes with a dual mass flywheel to control the NVH. The flywheel position and the engine strokes have to be in phase and synchronized for the flywheel to perform effectively.

The position of the flywheel is detected by a crank position sensor. When there is a wrong signal sent by the crank position sensor, the flywheel will not be synchronized with the firing of the cylinders. This will lead to the excessive vibrations, low power & smoke.

This problem will be reset if you shut the vehicle off and try again. (may take upto 4-5 restarts)

Request everyone not to drive when you are facing this problem of vibrations. This can lead to permanent damage the engine, the mounts and any other resonating part of the vehicle. It is recommended to alert the problem to the service centre though there is little they can do about it

Note: the problem is not repeatable. Hence request you to take a video of the vehicle, open the bonnet & shoot the engine compartment and smoke before you switch off the car. This will help you "prove" the problem to the service guys and the Mahindra NVH team.

Hope this helps

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 31st March 2016 at 15:58.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 16:10   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Guys:

The TUV comes with a dual mass flywheel to control the NVH. The flywheel position and the engine strokes have to be in phase and synchronized for the flywheel to perform effectively
Hope this helps
Im not able to understand why can't service engineers and engineering team from Mahindra are not able to get this. If it is true then they should have some clue about this and try to fix the crank position sensor.
Old 1st April 2016, 11:41   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
My car returned the mileage of 14.5 kmpl for this trip with 4 occupants and completely packed boot with folded seats. Previous trip it had returned the mileage of 15.5 kmpl with 2 occupants. I 35 psi in all 4 tires. Mine is AMT for the record.
Thats good, TaurausAI. I drove on exactly same parameters and mileage was sub 13. Will observe for a week or so and get the tank checked.

Quote:
Off-late I hear fine tik tik tik sound on stepping off from the accelerator pedal.
I had this problem from day 1 and went to service centers twice. I observed that the tick tick sound increased on bad roads (not the ones that are really bad, but on roads that are not smoothly topped). I was not able to reproduce this sound at the service center but did ask them to look into it during the first service. Post the service, it's kind of better; keeping fingers crossed. Not sure what service center guys did but mentioned 'checked accelerator pedal' on the job card comments.

Last 2-3 days, I am getting 'thud' sound from the rear when I go on bad roads. Not sure if it's from the door or the suspension; planning to get it checked at service center tomorrow. Also need to get the 'service due warning spanner' reset that came up at 4500 km.

Quote:
Again at service center due to that knocking problem. This time even bad situation the AMT warning light came on and TUV refused to drive in auto mode.

Some error caught lets see what they do.
What was the outcome, ezee? Could the service center guys figure out why the AMT warning light came up?
Old 1st April 2016, 12:47   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Last 2-3 days, I am getting 'thud' sound from the rear when I go on bad roads. Not sure if it's from the door or the suspension
You can also check the jack storage area. There are two bolts holding the jack, smaller one helps to keep the jack aligned and the bigger one holding it. If either of them are loose, there may be a sound.
Old 1st April 2016, 19:22   #945
BHPian

Quote:
What was the outcome, ezee? Could the service center guys figure out why the AMT warning light came up?
The TUV is still at service center. As this is an undiagnosed problem which is beyond understandings of engineers at service center, so this time they have prepared a case study with all checks and readings and forwarded to Mahindra plant engineers. Today morning i had received a call from one such engineer from TN asking about whats exactly happened. I have explained them in detail.

Now as per Delhi NCR head Mr Ravi they will apply some updates tomorrow to check effect. Lets see what comes out.

But to the courtesy this time they have provided me a backup scorpio for daily use.

Last edited by ezee : 1st April 2016 at 19:26.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed