Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 20:43   #976
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I'd say that's a pretty comprehensive list! However, public opinion being as fickle as it is, we can just wait and see!
The list indeed is quite comprehensive and I really wish the TUV T8 had cruise control, seat split and recline in row 2 and a more tuned engine. Recently met a XUV500 owner at a workshop and he said his touch screen got hung quite often; so not so keen on that. A big miss in the Nuvosport is the static bending headlamp - I really like it in the TUV. The interiors are also inferior.

I think the biggest problem Nuvosport will have to overcome is Quanto's image and it's name. With its pricing it is exactly poised against Eco'sport'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Here are the snaps of my tank.
Congratulations Chetans! Nice pics.

---

I recently visited the service center for three problems -
  1. Loud sound from the rear on bad roads - suspected it from the suspension or the door
  2. 'Vhoom' 'Vhoom' sound while pressing the A-pedal on low speeds
  3. Seat belt not retracting properly

The service center guy took a quick test and fortunately all problems could be reproduced. He acknowledged and tank was taken to the floor after preparing a job card.

It was quickly diagnosed that the sound in the rear was coming from the door. It was also observed during the tests that the door was not opening from inside. The door panel was opened and it was found that one of the rods that control the lock slipped out of the plastic U shaped holder. It jammed the lock operation and was hitting against the door making the sound.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160401_165308.jpg

The engineer also got an old tube, cut a small round piece from it and stuck it on the holder/buckle on the side of the rear door. This basically adds a layer on top of it.

He said this is being done on many TUVs to make the rear door sit more firmly and not vibrate. This obviously made the door operation very tight so the holder/buckle and the corresponding mouth were greased well.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160402_172607.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160402_172617.jpg

Just to make sure there was no other problem with the suspension, the SA got the suspension re-torque done.

The 'Vhoom' sound was obviously because of the Vacuum Modulator. They quickly acknowledged it and asked me to leave the car for a few hours with them to diagnose further. Later, they changed the Vacuum Modulator and its all smooth now. It also solved my first problem of vibrations and 'tick''tick' sound on the A-pedal.

I had highlighted the driver side seat belt retraction problem during the first service as well. At that time the SA said they have adjusted it. Since it was still not proper they agreed to change it. The new seat belt works as expected. I was told that other users have also complained about slow retraction of driver side seat belt.

Overall, experience was good. While the problems shouldn't have arrived at the first place it was at least acknowledged and I was not pushed back. All changes were done for free but was asked to pay INR 66 for the disposable seat covers used during servicing to protect the seats (huh!). The tank also got a complimentary shower.

---

My tank has so far clocked 5100 Kms and I am enjoying every bit of it. After some of the recent changes and servicing the tank has become really smooth. Fortunately, I don't find any rattling sound or abnormal engine sound currently and for now 'all is well'. AMT is behaving really well and the gear shift jerks are almost negligible now. Happy with my decision!

Last edited by Zappo : 14th April 2016 at 15:22. Reason: Let us not invent new abbreviations like NS. Let this one be Nuvosport to avoid confusing the readers.
rajpvrm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 23:53   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
I think the biggest problem NS will have to overcome is Quanto's image and it's name. With its pricing it is exactly poised against Eco'sport'!
Completely agree on this point. At a time when TUV300 is doing relatively well, I don't know what purpose Nuvosport will serve apart from competing with it's own product

Instead, they should have come up with TUV300 T10 with added features.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th April 2016 at 15:22. Reason: Let us not invent new abbreviations like NS. Let this one be Nuvosport to avoid confusing the readers.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 12:55   #978
BHPian

Have a couple of technical questions.

1. Are the engines in the Nuvosport and TUV 300, the same with different states of tune?
2. Has anyone done any modifications or added any accessories ( Pete's Box, etc.) to crank up the power of the TUV 300? If yes, what's the experience been so far?
Old 14th April 2016, 20:32   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun269 View Post
BattleTank, is India garage an exclusive Mahindra service station? Please wise me up. Thank you.
Not only is this SS (@ ITPL, Whitefield) an exclusive M&M service station - the services offered are limited to all M&M models except XUV and Sangyong Rexton.
Old 14th April 2016, 22:20   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
Have a couple of technical questions.

1. Are the engines in the Nuvosport and TUV 300, the same with different states of tune?
2. Has anyone done any modifications or added any accessories ( Pete's Box, etc.) to crank up the power of the TUV 300? If yes, what's the experience been so far?
Yes the engine is same but tuned to produce 100 bhp.

Petes not available for TUVs right now.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:08   #981
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Moderator Note: Please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars (NS, T-Fort etc.). You are requested to use the model's full name only.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:31   #982
BHPian

TUV300 PARCEL SHELF

I was missing an enclosed boot in my TUV, so designed a Parcel shelf by fabricating a simple bracket that fixes on the jump seat bolts.

1. Parcel shelf is very handy for the 2nd row occupants.
2. Keeps luggage hidden from prying eyes.
3. You can fix speakers. (I made arrangements, but dropped the idea)
4. Boot volume is isolated from AC cooling area, thus improving efficiency.
5. Jump seats can be used whenever needed in 10 seconds by just sliding the shelf between seats.

Now I have a SUV (7 seater) with convenience of a sedan.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-parcel-tray-01.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-parcel-tray-02.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-parcel-tray-bracket-installation-02.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:56   #983
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from Sireesh Auto just now. They will be giving two free tickets for Wonderla on Sunday, 17 April

I would like to know if other Bengaluru TUV300 owners who have purchased from Sireesh Auto got the same offer?

By the way, this is the second offer with my TUV300, first offer was two nights stay in a Club Mahindra resort

Last edited by airbus : 15th April 2016 at 12:17.
Old 15th April 2016, 12:04   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
TUV300 PARCEL SHELF

I was missing an enclosed boot in my TUV, so designed a Parcel shelf by fabricating a simple bracket that fixes on the jump seat bolts..
That's looking some serious efforts. But isn't it jumping while crossing potholes?

I wish if we could completely hide the jump seats by placing it on top of it. Also looking for a way to create some toolbox area to keep my tyre inflator and some other extra tools.
Old 15th April 2016, 13:15   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I got a call from Sireesh Auto just now. They will be giving two free tickets for Wonderla on Sunday, 17 April

I would like to know if other Bengaluru TUV300 owners who have purchased from Sireesh Auto got the same offer?

By the way, this is the second offer with my TUV300, first offer was two nights stay in a Club Mahindra resort

Hey i too got a call and i am going to Wonderla. lets make a mini meet over there

as mentioned by you i have received 2 offers
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 14:05   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
That's looking some serious efforts. But isn't it jumping while crossing potholes?
I had initially planned to provide wing nuts in the design to hold it down.However, it proved to be a very snug fit with the jump seats opening inwards. There is absolutely no movement. It would be advisable to place 4 wing nuts in case anyone wants to install speakers, just for safety, I suppose.

I have driven on all types of roads (Mumbai-Goa) and inroads of Satara without any issues with the shelf.
Kaas Lake, Satara
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-01-kaas-lake-21.02.2016-02.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-02-kaas-lake-21.02.2016-05.jpg

Inroads of a Sugar Factory,Satara
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-03-sugar-factory-10.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
I wish if we could completely hide the jump seats by placing it on top of it.
The window ledge/rear windshield is the maximum height you can go to, or it will be impractical and ugly. At the most you can stitch a cover using the same grey cloth over the folded jump seats. I found it unnecessary. This design is practical and utilitarian.
Sirvoicar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 16:44   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
TUV300 PARCEL SHELF

I was missing an enclosed boot in my TUV, so designed a Parcel shelf by fabricating a simple bracket that fixes on the jump seat bolts. Now I have a SUV (7 seater) with convenience of a sedan.
Good parcel shelf arrangement there Sirvoicar . Looks very neat and it gels well with the boot

The Kaas plateau and the lake is such a beautiful place to be in. You could have proceeded further on that road for some kms and you would have reached the place called Bamnoli, where you can see the beautiful backwaters of Koyna dam.

I did this trip way back in 2010 in my humble Indica, couldn't resist sharing few snaps taken then.

The serene Kaas lake
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dsc03454.jpg

Another view of the beautiful lake
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dsc03453.jpg

Bamnoli - backwaters of Koyna dam
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dsc03476.jpg

One of the motor-boats ferrying passengers
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dsc03482.jpg

Trees submerged under the backwaters

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dsc03490.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 15th April 2016 at 16:56.
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 14:14   #988
Senior - BHPian

Friends, some interesting discussion is going on and a poll has been opened-up on which compact SUV would you pick? The choice is between Vitara Brezza, Ford Ecosport & TUV3OO. Please visit the below thread and cast your vote.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-tuv300-4.html
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 22:45   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Friends, some interesting discussion is going on and a poll has been opened-up on which compact SUV would you pick? The choice is between Vitara Brezza, Ford Ecosport & TUV3OO. Please visit the below thread and cast your vote.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-tuv300-4.html

Interesting to see Ecosport is way ahead currently. I rejected the Ecosport due to

1) I felt cramped than my Ritz
2) Experienced body roll and bumpy ride in low speed
3) Lack of pulling power
4) The car felt like just another hatch

The only positive is the looks. It looks near perfect if you like curves in your vehicle, I dont. I love Jeeps.

Even my brother in law had made up his mind to go for Ecosport, but rejected it after test driving with me. He currently owns a city.

For me the strongest contender was the S-Cross and the very practical Ertiga, but my heart won over mind and currently enjoying the tank to the fullest.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 19th April 2016 at 22:46.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:40   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a call from my SA yesterday morning that my tank was listed for a software upgrade. I had planned to visit the service center yesterday evening but thanks to the riots in Bangalore, I was unable to. Visited today morning and got the ECU flashed. Asked the technician regarding the flash and he mentioned that this is for security software upgrade. Asked him if this was related to the immobilizer (which Autoindian had mentioned a few weeks back) and he was not very sure about it. The best part was that no time was wasted by the SA today. I was in at 9 am and out by 9.45 am, which is pretty fast given the lethargy of MASS that I had experienced in the last few visits

I was hoping that the software update was for the engine management system and will address diesel clatter during cold start, but it was not. Did show a video to my SA about the same and he was unaware of this problem and mentioned that no other TUV owners had reported this problem. Any Manual T8 owners who faced the problem and got this fixed by flashing new software? if so, can you please share the software version currently running? Will get this as well as the window winding mechanism fixed during the 2nd service, which should be mid next month.

Otherwise the dwarf has been chugging along without a problem (touchwood). Did drive 200+ kms in the ghats last week and it was a breeze - all thanks to the torque. Did not have a lot of body roll issues as long as you take the curves at a sedate pace (40-45 kmph). It feels very planted and there is no ambiguity or over/understeer. Even after the drive in the hills and some 110 kmph cruising on 4 lane highway, the dwarf returned an FE of 14.9 kmpl
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed