Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:11   #1531
BHPian

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

the Jeep article is not very charitable but I like the mod
For Audi headlamps and the work I think 1.5L is cheap.
Old 23rd January 2017, 00:05   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
modify the TUV to look like Jeep Cherokee
The mods look good. Wonder how you open the bonnet as I don’t see any kind of shut line

It has been a year since I got the tank home and I have updated my ownership thread with my thoughts on the car and also managed to create a video log of all the trips.

Did a 400 km daytrip to celebrate the anniversary and have updated this thread with all the details.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:40   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The kit suits the Black TUV very well and attracted huge attention. Night time photos and photos of the kitted black Tank will follow soon.
awaiting these pics
Intend booking in Feb/Mar and was sold on silver (dual tone), may choose black depending on your pics. Also does anyone know if there is a facelift or new editions planned in the near future for the TUV?
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:26   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Got my TUV 300 (100 BHP) first service done from G3-Malad Service Centre.
Overall exp: 4/10

I reached SC at about 0845 and only the receptionist had arrived. The Malad yard is pretty impressive with exclusive bay for XUV service/repairs. Saw two Mahindra Escape vehicle also.

I wanted to deal with a certain SA (recommended by few of my friends) but he was coming in late so Mr. Swapnil attended to my TUV.
He did basic check of the vehicle, ODO reading, Mats (don't know why), superficial Scratches and Engine bay.
As soonest he is finished, I am recommended UNDER-BODY & ENGINE PROTECTION coatings - I refuse, citing financial restrictions.
An accessories gentleman then approaches me & recommends full carpeting, seat covers, Side beading etc - I again refuse, citing financial restrictions.
My TUV did not have mudguards and every-time I crossed a puddle, the side step would become dirty from spray from front tyres so I indeed asked him to put mudguards (Cost: 550/-)
I give Swapnil, list of issues faced by me which by now are pretty common with TUV's and I leave SC by 1030.

I also insisted that since this is basic 1st service, I need vehicle by the EOD.

I call Swapnil around 1730 & he informs me that my TUV is going for wash & that I should reach SC by 1830, which I did. TUV was washed and probably cloth dried (Saw two guys doing that to a XUV near my vehicle).

I noted that the front seats have black marks on edges and since no-one has driven the car except me till now, I am not very happy. It is dark by now but I noted that there are similar smudges on gear console also. I also find some marks on window sills.
Swapnil calls a guys who does WET CLEANING with a foam on seat & leaves the seat pretty wet. He forgets to clean other smudges. He is called again & it is evident that he is doing the job halfheartedly. I am categorically told by him that they close by 1900 hours.

I inspect vehicle under big LED torch and find that my car wash guy at home does better job than G3 professionals. The wheel arches are still dirty, so is underside of side steps.
The mudguards design is good for the rear wheels but the front guards are too rounded to prevent mud from reaching side step. Will have to check on practicality of that.

I am again offered an AMC plan,wherein on-the-road assistance (Flatbed transportation of vehicle, 05 litres of fuel in case of emergency, etc) will be provided anywhere in India. I take a keen look at Swapnil & ask him if Mahindra is so unsure of their vehicles that they are offering such comprehensive OTR assistance for even NEW vehicles.

I did not find any major changes except that TUV is pretty smooth but the COLD-START vibration is still there and the BLUETOOTH is not working anymore (though I hardly use it, but had mentioned that MIC was giving me problems on those few instances when I had tried using it)

My overall experience is that, since I did not opt for any FRILLS being offered, my TUV got the most basic attendance possible and some grease marks on seats which is still visible. Overall bill otherwise, shy of 3K.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 23rd January 2017 at 14:27. Reason: My 1000th post on TBHP
Old 24th January 2017, 12:14   #1535
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod:

Discussion on the long-wheelbase TUV300 ("TUV500") has been moved to the relevant thread:

Link
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 11:07   #1536
BHPian

Alignment issue: TUV300

Gave my TUV300 for the 30K service to AML motors, Jeedimetla,Hyderabad.
Tyre interchange was mentioned in the owners manual hence noted it in the service form as well.

After the wash,discovered that the front tread has worn down more than the rear tyres.The wear was even and did not indicate any abnormal wear at the sides.
Upon confirming with the mechanic , came to know that tyre tread cannot wear down to such an extent with just 10k kms and this means that the tyres have remained on the same layout since the last 2 services.

I realised that the tyre interchange has not been done even for the 20K service.
Raised a complaint at the service and also at Mahindra.

The vehicle was picked up yesterday from home and since then the Service manager, Suvith has been on contact. Till 9pm, last night , they have been struggling to correct the vehicle pulling to one side after the tyres were balanced and inter changed.
Still Waiting for an update from the service centre.

Gurus, does the TUV300 have this inherent problem with alignment and does it mean, the reason the service does not interchange tyres and do the alignment unless really necessary? Have tried to search the forum on any info on this but couldnt find any.Can anyone please suggest what needs to be done?
Old 25th January 2017, 23:53   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alignment issue: TUV300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I realised that the tyre interchange has not been done even for the 20K service.
Raised a complaint at the service and also at Mahindra.
If you look at the owner's manual carefully you will observe that though tyre rotation is mentioned in the manual, it is just for inspection and not actual rotation. Hence the service centre won't do it unless you ask them to do it sepcifically.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tyre-rotation.jpg

Quote:
The vehicle was picked up yesterday from home and since then the Service manager, Suvith has been on contact. Till 9pm, last night , they have been struggling to correct the vehicle pulling to one side after the tyres were balanced and inter changed.
Still Waiting for an update from the service centre.
Note: Vehicle pulling to one side means the alignment of the wheels is not correct, it has nothing to do with wheel balancing. If the wheels are imbalanced it will lead to vibrations at the steering wheel at particular speed.

Quote:
Gurus, does the TUV300 have this inherent problem with alignment and does it mean, the reason the service does not interchange tyres and do the alignment unless really necessary? Have tried to search the forum on any info on this but couldnt find any.Can anyone please suggest what needs to be done?
Service centres do not do tyre rotation or wheel alignment unless you specify them to do so. Also these are on chargeable basis. You would be better off getting the wheel alignment done from a reputed tyre shop outside the Service centre. In the last 17.5K kms of my TUV, I have not done either the tyre rotation or wheel alignment. Not done tyre rotation because I don't want a single steel wheel when the other three are alloys, the steel wheel/rim would look very odd. Alignment not done because it hasn't been disturbed yet (touchwood). On a plain straight road, if I take off my hands from the steering wheel, car goes in a straight line, indicating that the wheel alignment is perfect. Also I haven't checked the tyres very closely, but they have an even wear of the tread.
Old 26th January 2017, 00:34   #1538
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....In the last 17.5K kms of my TUV, I have not done either the tyre rotation or wheel alignment. Not done tyre rotation because I don't want a single steel wheel when the other three are alloys, the steel wheel/rim would look very odd.....
Not sure if you meant you haven't included the steel spare in rotation (which is understandable), or not done a rotation at all?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2017 at 00:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 11:07   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not sure if you meant you haven't included the steel spare in rotation (which is understandable), or not done a rotation at all?
The bold portion of the text above is right. I had the opportunity to get the tyres on 4 alloys rotated at 10K kms. But I wanted to bring the 5th tyre as well in rotation. Now due to my sheer laziness or inability to source the fifth alloy wheel (at a reasonable price), the tyre rotation has been procrastinated. I am hopeful that at least by 20K I would be able to source the OEM alloy at a good deal and rotate all the five tyres. Any pointers friends for the OEM alloy wheel? Last time I checked at Kundan Motors, Chinchwad service centre and they quoted me a price of INR 13K. I am fine for 10K or under it, but 13K is way too high.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:27   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
I am hopeful that at least by 20K I would be able to source the OEM alloy at a good deal and rotate all the five tyres.
i made the (I consider) silly investment into a fifth alloy wheel for my qualis and feel now it was a sheer waste. The spare wheel is under the chassis and the way it is mounted, it gets totally scratched. I have rarely had to use it and feel that in the case of the rotation one might as well pay the 100-200rs to swap the tyre off the wheel rather than have a fifth alloy wheel.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 13:39   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
i made the (I consider) silly investment into a fifth alloy wheel for my qualis and feel now it was a sheer waste. The spare wheel is under the chassis and the way it is mounted, it gets totally scratched. I have rarely had to use it and feel that in the case of the rotation one might as well pay the 100-200rs to swap the tyre off the wheel rather than have a fifth alloy wheel.
Are you sure, the tyre shop will charge only 100-200rs for the tyre swap between the alloy wheel and the steel rim? In that case if I do the rotation and hence the tyre swap every 10K kms, over a period of 1 lakh kms, I will have to shelve out Rs 2,000/- max, which still turns out to be very cheap compared to the 13K to be spent on the 5th alloy . Moreover after I get the 5th alloy, the steel rim will be useless and I will have to discard it.

However every time I do the mounting, un-mounting from the rim, I will have to get the wheel balancing done. That may induce some additional costs. Nevertheless this is a good option and will go for it when I am nearing the 20K mark .

Fortunately till date no issues whatsoever either with wheel balancing or alignment. This Mahindra's suspension is really good.
Old 26th January 2017, 14:02   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure, the tyre shop will charge only 100-200rs for the tyre swap between the alloy wheel and the steel rim?
The guy near my house takes 90rs for this.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 11:45   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
If you look at the owner's manual carefully you will observe that though tyre rotation is mentioned in the manual, it is just for inspection and not actual rotation. Hence the service centre won't do it unless you ask them to do it sepcifically.

Note: Vehicle pulling to one side means the alignment of the wheels is not correct, it has nothing to do with wheel balancing. If the wheels are imbalanced it will lead to vibrations at the steering wheel at particular speed.

Service centres do not do tyre rotation or wheel alignment unless you specify them to do so. Also these are on chargeable basis. You would be better off getting the wheel alignment done from a reputed tyre shop outside the Service centre. In the last 17.5K kms of my TUV, I have not done either the tyre rotation or wheel alignment. Not done tyre rotation because I don't want a single steel wheel when the other three are alloys, the steel wheel/rim would look very odd. Alignment not done because it hasn't been disturbed yet (touchwood). On a plain straight road, if I take off my hands from the steering wheel, car goes in a straight line, indicating that the wheel alignment is perfect. Also I haven't checked the tyres very closely, but they have an even wear of the tread.
Thank you AutoIndian. True, the service centre do not do it unless requested.I specifically requested on this as I had done on my previous cars. However, later on came to know that for the tyre rotation to be done, each tyre is balanced first and then mounted. But they had to struggle for a day with the vehicle pulling to a side, because they missed doing the alignment! Poor service practices, they should have checked the alignment as well.It was evident the pulling issue came up after the tyre swap.
Before the service, my vehicle never had this pulling problem.It all started with this tyre rotation
Anyhow it all ended well and the vehicle was delivered back to my home after a day. I drove it this morning on a straight road and followed your que to check the alignment. It was perfect.And to top it, nothing was charged.They have updated the WithYouHamesha app with a Running repair order on this.
Old 30th January 2017, 20:33   #1544
BHPian

Got the following quote from the dealer for TUV300 T8 MT
This includes a 20% NCB for the period and Add-ons for Consumables & Engine Protection

Insurer : Future Generali
IDV : Rs 729349

Add-Ons
1. Consumables : Rs 1094
2. Engine Protection : Rs 1823

Premium[Including Add-ons] : Rs 18645
Service Tax(@15%) : Rs 2798
Total Payable : Rs 21443

Key Features
1 Zero Depreciation
2 Loss of Keys
3 Loss of Personal Belongings
4 Road Side Assistance [This cover offers assistance while break down of your car to bring to your next destination without any charges]
5 Third Party Coverage [Upto 7.5L]
6 Passenger Coverage (Rs.2 lakh per person)
7 Owner Coverage (Upto Rs. 2Lakhs)
8 Driver Coverage(Rs.1 Lakh)

Queries
1. Do we need coverage for Consumable & Engine Protection for a car 1 year old?
2. Is the quote reasonable or are better bargains available?
Old 30th January 2017, 22:28   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
Got the following quote from the dealer for TUV300 T8 MT
This includes a 20% NCB for the period and Add-ons for Consumables & Engine Protection

Insurer : Future Generali
IDV : Rs 729349

Add-Ons
1. Consumables : Rs 1094
2. Engine Protection : Rs 1823

Premium[Including Add-ons] : Rs 18645
Service Tax(@15%) : Rs 2798
Total Payable : Rs 21443
Can you give the break-up of the above amount of Rs 18645. A quote of 21K for an IDV of 7.29 lacs is definitely on the higher side. In Nov-2016, when I renewed my insurance from TATA AIG, I paid Rs 18,126/- for an IDV of 7.65 lacs (20% NCB). You can refer the break-up below

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-insurance-breakup.jpg

Quote:
1. Do we need coverage for Consumable & Engine Protection for a car 1 year old?
2. Is the quote reasonable or are better bargains available?
You can easily shave off the Rs 3K for the two items above. Get 2-3 more competitive quotes and pitch them against each other

Most Viewed