Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:10   #1681
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Congrats on the new car and good delivery experience. Hope you have many many miles of niggle free ownership. Can you post a pic of your rear axle? As your car is May manufactured, wanted to check if MLD is factory fitted.
Thanks, procrj! This was one of the things I checked during PDI and sadly it is not MLD. However, I will post a pic of the suspension. Waiting for the weekend
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:37   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
My SA told me that new TUV's will be coming with MLD when the trial is over, so in my opinion new ones rolling out will be still having limited differential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
sadly it is not MLD
I have a feeling that the MLD is actually meant for the TUV 500 which is expected to launch later this year/early next year and M&M is just using the current customer base as test mules Hope I am wrong and M&M actually decides to make the MLD the standard across all TUVs soon and allow existing owners to upgrade to the same.
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:24   #1683
BHPian

Guys noob question:
1. When I open the door, the cabin light does not turn on. The demo guy who came home said that is how it is. I have my doubts.

2. The vehicle is pulling to the left. Should I wait till the first service or get it fixed right away.

The demo guy came home and was pretty detailed oriented. Came early morning by 8:00. Pretty impressed with punctuality.
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:47   #1684
BANNED

Quote:
1. When I open the door, the cabin light does not turn on. The demo guy who came home said that is how it is. I have my doubts.
Is this behaviour observed only while opening the drivers door or any of the door?!

Generally the cabin light is either two stage operation with ON/OFF or it is a the stage without ON/DOOR/OFF.

If you have kept the switch on the DOOR portion, it should light up when any of the doors are opened. If it doesn't there is an issue with the connections in the light or may be switches on each door need to be checked.

Quote:
2. The vehicle is pulling to the left. Should I wait till the first service or get it fixed right away.
Please go ASAP and get it rectified. Highlight it in the right way so you get the solution in the fastest possible time.

Either it is alignment related issue that can be done at dealer end or any reliable alignment store in your city or you'll have to get the suspension checked.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 15:01   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys noob question:
I couldn't stop laughing on reading this comment. Either the demo guy is really naive or was trying to fool you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Generally the cabin light is either two stage operation with ON/OFF or it is a the stage without ON/DOOR/OFF.

If you have kept the switch on the DOOR portion, it should light up when any of the doors are opened. If it doesn't there is an issue with the connections in the light or may be switches on each door need to be checked.
Anurag is spot on regarding the three positions of the lamp. I thought better explain you this with pictures, so picked up my point and shoot and prepared the below explanation.

Three positions of central cabin lamp
1. AUTO
2. OFF
3. ON

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-cabin-lamp-3-positions.jpg

"OFF" position. Here the cabin lamp won't lit up, irrespective whether the doors are open or closed. It will always remain switched off. Most probably your cabin lamp would be in this position.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-cabin-lamp-off-positions.jpg

Switch pressed on the left side, "AUTO" position. In this position cabin lamp comes "ON" when any door is opened. When all the doors are closed it dims and shuts off Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-cabin-lamp-auto-positions.jpg

This is the "ON" position. Here switch is pressed on the extreme right side, which will keep the cabin lamp continuously "ON", irrespective whether the doors are open or closed
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-cabin-lamp-positions.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
Please go ASAP and get it rectified. Highlight it in the right way so you get the solution in the fastest possible time.

Either it is alignment related issue that can be done at dealer end or any reliable alignment store in your city or you'll have to get the suspension checked.
Since your car is brand new, get this rectified at the showroom/ service center itself. But before that check both your front tyre pressures and ensure that both are same (33-35 psi range)
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 12:29   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Same thing happened to me. I waited for the 1st service to rectify it and they charged me for wheel alignment
Old 4th June 2017, 14:20   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Same thing happened to me. I waited for the 1st service to rectify it and they charged me for wheel alignment
That's sad and not the correct thing to do on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I couldn't stop laughing on reading this comment. Either the demo guy is really naive or was trying to fool you.

Anurag is spot on regarding the three positions of the lamp. I thought better explain you this with pictures, so picked up my point and shoot and prepared the below explanation.
Thanks so much Deepak. That was helpful! I checked based on this and there seems to be some issue with the connections. So much for PDI and my fault also that I didn't pay attention to this. Anyway not a big thing. Will get it fixed.

And if this made you laugh then listen to this. So my vehicle came with company fitted fastag chip. I asked the demo guy what is this and where is it used. Pat comes the reply, Sir we use this during the service of the vehicle, it contains your vehicle's real-time data. I was like wow, you are the dude I was waiting for the whole of my life to meet. Anyway, explained him the real function of fastag and he was like

Quote:
Is this behavior observed only while opening the drivers door or any of the door?!

All the doors, Anurag. I have talked to my SE and he will connect me to the more knowledgeable service advisor. Will go and get it checked in a few days.

Went for a short drive and could already hear driver side window rattling. Felt intermittent power loss and it was not pulling as it should. Will get it checked. Also, one more question, the temperature bar is mostly at constant 5 bars. Is this normal? Car manual says, 4. It was at 5 bars even on open highway cruising at 70-80kmph.

Am I frustrated with these niggles? Not really, I was never expecting great quality anyway. Moved from Tata to Mahindra and been used to all this.

Take a deep breath, relax
Old 5th June 2017, 09:54   #1688
BHPian

Have not gone through the manual, but the sticker on driver side door panel recommends 35psi for both front and rear, thats why I go for 35 psi only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
As per the Owner's Manual, the recommended tyre pressure (both front and rear) is 32 psi. Refer the green highlighted portion in the screen grab below from Owner's Manual. I usually keep it in the range of 34-36 psi. When alone the car feels slightly bumpy, but drives well when fully loaded.

Attachment 1645221

procrj is right. I too was facing the window rattling/ buzzing noise from day#1. When my right side door panel was dismantled, the power window slider (which slides on channel) was found to be having some play @ 1mm, which made the window glass rattle due to engine vibrations. It was replaced under warranty with new winder, which had absolutely no play. Additionally foam padding was added between the door and the plastic panel. From that day the window rattling vanished forever.

The above details can be found in this official review thread itself, refer the below link --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3929689
Old 6th June 2017, 23:05   #1689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, one more question, the temperature bar is mostly at constant 5 bars. Is this normal? Car manual says, 4. It was at 5 bars even on open highway cruising at 70-80kmph.
After driving few kilometers (when engine is cold), temperature gauge always show 5 bars in my tank. I believe this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
but the sticker on driver side door panel recommends 35psi for both front and rear, thats why I go for 35 psi only.
I also go for 35 psi as mentioned in the sticker. After about a month of driving I normally lose about 1 - 2 psi.

Today I spoke to Customer Service Manager in Bengaluru regarding MLD. I wrote an email two weeks back. I was told that MLD for my tank is getting shipped and should arrive in Bengaluru in 10 days. Along with this, I also complained about higher coolant consumption, seat belt retraction issue and thud noise under the gear lever. I was told that everything will be taken care in the same visit to India Garage after the MLD reaches service center.

Last edited by airbus : 6th June 2017 at 23:07. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 23:32   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
After driving few kilometers (when engine is cold), temperature gauge always show 5 bars in my tank. I believe this is normal.

I also go for 35 psi as mentioned in the sticker. After about a month of driving I normally lose about 1 - 2 psi.

Today I spoke to Customer Service Manager in Bengaluru regarding MLD. I wrote an email two weeks back. I was told that MLD for my tank is getting shipped and should arrive in Bengaluru in 10 days. Along with this, I also complained about higher coolant consumption, seat belt retraction issue and thud noise under the gear lever. I was told that everything will be taken care in the same visit to India Garage after the MLD reaches service center.
I have also reported coolant loss issue to the MASS. When went for MLD change they inspected for any leaks but couldn't find any. So they topped it up and told to keep a check for 1 month, if it decreases then they will again try to diagnose it.

Also, got a call today from SA about the MLD. He was asking about 2 things
1. Are the static bending lamps working.
2. Is there any whisteling sound when vehicle crosses 80 kmph.
Luckily till now have not faced these issues so told him its fine.

Might be some people who opted for MLD retrofit have shared some feedback.

I remember one of the members in forum who has got MLD changed has complained that static bending lights are not working.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 08:41   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I concur on that. 5 bars on the instrument cluster means normal operating temperature. My request to all you guys is keep a close watch on this temperature gauge. It was only because of this tiny & accurate gauge I was able to diagnose the coolant leakage problem in my tank just in the nick of time. That unfateful night during Diwali I observed the temperature gauge fluctuating between 5 & 6 bars. Luckily this caught my attention. On reaching home when I checked under the bonnet the coolant reservoir was empty. Next day I got the leaking coolant hose problem fixed at the service center and whole coolant replaced under warranty.

So all those indicators/lights on the instrument cluster are there for a reason and we can choose to ignore them at our own risk. Some of you might be aware of this, in a recent case a the S-Cross 1.6 litre engine of a TBHPian was blown away, when he chose to drive the car despite the malfunction light remaining on

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...is-engine.html
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 16:21   #1692
BHPian

Took some out and took QuickSilver for some 3M pampering and sound proofing. Got the 3M sound deadening material installed on the four doors. There was a rattle from right side front and rear window also, which got fixed in the process. Also, it gathered a lot of dust and mud in the rains. Got it cleaned and polished.

When the door pad was opened up, saw how flimsy the plastic covering was, thin enough that it would tear with some fingernail pressure. Pathetic quality. Some pics.

The effect of sound deadening was good, the same audio system sounds better and cuts out a lot of external noise. The cabin now is a much better place to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170611_104310656_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170611_104651957.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170611_111357005_hdr.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170611_125710120.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170611_142836310.jpg  

ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:24   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Took some out and took QuickSilver for some 3M pampering and sound proofing. Got the 3M sound deadening material installed on the four doors. .... The cabin now is a much better place to be.
Could you please share what services you opted for and how much did they cost in 3M? Am planning to do the same for my TUV in Hyderabad.Your QuickSilver sure is gleaming in the last pic.

regards
Old 13th June 2017, 10:05   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Could you please share what services you opted for and how much did they cost in 3M? Am planning to do the same for my TUV in Hyderabad.Your QuickSilver sure is gleaming in the last pic.

regards
Thanks, Alton.

I just got them to add 3M sound proofing material on four doors, left the boot door. This cost about 5k. Apart from that got them to clean, wax (UV protection) the exterior and vacuum clean the interiors. The cleaning cost about 1600. They have an annual maintenance package for TUV which is about 22k, but I think one can bargain and bring it down. My brother took annual maintenance package last year for 20k for his Lodgy and I think it does help. His car remains scratch free, not even minors one. What they give in this package is 2 times machine polishing, 2 normal wash and wax, interior cleaning and shampooing the upholstery and few goodies. Don't remember the exact details. I think if you are willing to workout yourself, this package may not be required. But a lot of people do opt for it as it does take some amount of time.

They were trying to sell sunfilm although themselves mentioned that it is not legal
Old 14th June 2017, 16:45   #1695
BHPian

Friends,
This happens to be my first post and hence would request the elite community to ignore my mistakes and guide to improve.
I own a silver tank since Dec 2015. Its T8 Manual 84 BHP machine. I went through almost the same experience that most of the initial buyers experienced
1. The vacuum modulator started making that whoosh sound
2. The thud sound from under the gear (that would vanish by the time I drove to MAS making me miserable; it was like I had a problem in morning but now its not). By the way, the sound is still there even after replacement of mount and tightening of handbrake cables)
3. One fine morning I had the tractor sound experience. Luckily that happened only once and then never reappeared.
4. The coolant started drying up. Got the hose clamps replaced and the coolant was changed. I would like to mention that there was no leakage at all. So I strongly suspect that the violet coolant had quality issue. Now the new coolant (still violet) is maintaining level since last 8000 km.
5. MAS replaced the fuel assembly part (although I never faced problem with that)
6. The rear wheels still spin and I had to exchange my parking space with neighbor (It was really humiliating to tell him that my SUV cannot come up the parking curve)
7. The seat belts remain where they are left (I gently push them back and they retract gradually like a python)

Now some observations that are slightly different
1. The 3 switches of ESS, Rear Defogger and Eco Mode are not at all visible while driving. This actually limits their usage. At times when I approach a red light with ESS on and the wait is short (say 20 sec), I actually have to bend down to see the switch and turn it off. It becomes impractical and then I am left with option of keeping the clutch pressed or to allow the engine to go off only to be switched on within few seconds.
2. Same is true for eco switch. You just cannot toggle between power mode and eco mode in case you want during overtaking.
3. The rear seats offer nice space under them for keeping my tool kit without disturbing last row.
4. The powerful headlights along with static bending lights and the fog lamps are one of my favorites amongst all the safety features. Yes, I call them safety features as on our kind of roads adequate lights are a necessity.
monakar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed