Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 09:11   #1696
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Welcome to the community monakar.
Regarding the niggles you have mentioned I think they are quite common with the initial batch of TUV manufactured till Q1 2016.
Hope all these niggles are settled down by now as most of these are sorted out by replacing with upgraded parts.
You can find my comments inline below-

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakar View Post
Friends,
This happens to be my first post and hence would request the elite community to ignore my mistakes and guide to improve.
I own a silver tank since Dec 2015. Its T8 Manual 84 BHP machine. I went through almost the same experience that most of the initial buyers experienced
1. The vacuum modulator started making that whoosh sound
Vaccum modulators are now being replaced with new kit with hoses of increased dia.

2. The thud sound from under the gear (that would vanish by the time I drove to MAS making me miserable; it was like I had a problem in morning but now its not). By the way, the sound is still there even after replacement of mount and tightening of handbrake cables)
This particular sound is audible only in the initial kms of driving. Now the gear lever mounting part is upgraded and this problem is rectified. Get your gear lever mounting changed if not done till now.

3. One fine morning I had the tractor sound experience. Luckily that happened only once and then never reappeared.
Same is the case with me but this is not everyday affair. Also not able to replicate the sound when at MASS.

4. The coolant started drying up. Got the hose clamps replaced and the coolant was changed. I would like to mention that there was no leakage at all. So I strongly suspect that the violet coolant had quality issue. Now the new coolant (still violet) is maintaining level since last 8000 km.

5. MAS replaced the fuel assembly part (although I never faced problem with that)
This was under a recall in the initial manufactured batches.

6. The rear wheels still spin and I had to exchange my parking space with neighbor (It was really humiliating to tell him that my SUV cannot come up the parking curve)
You can go for MLD upgrade if you want, this will surely solve this problem.

7. The seat belts remain where they are left (I gently push them back and they retract gradually like a python)
This still persist and even after changing the belts and other parts there is not much changed.

Now some observations that are slightly different
1. The 3 switches of ESS, Rear Defogger and Eco Mode are not at all visible while driving. This actually limits their usage. At times when I approach a red light with ESS on and the wait is short (say 20 sec), I actually have to bend down to see the switch and turn it off. It becomes impractical and then I am left with option of keeping the clutch pressed or to allow the engine to go off only to be switched on within few seconds.
2. Same is true for eco switch. You just cannot toggle between power mode and eco mode in case you want during overtaking.
3. The rear seats offer nice space under them for keeping my tool kit without disturbing last row.
4. The powerful headlights along with static bending lights and the fog lamps are one of my favorites amongst all the safety features. Yes, I call them safety features as on our kind of roads adequate lights are a necessity.
Old 17th June 2017, 10:35   #1697
BHPian

Hi All,
The Tank Bug finally got me too.
I bought the 'TUV 300 T6+ - Silver' on 15/06/2017 after a great deal of thoughts.
I am posting here few pics of my 'TUV 300 T6+ - Silver'. Will post my observations and experiences in a few days.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172142.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172204.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172152.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172219.jpg  

Ameeth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 14:18   #1698
BHPian

On last Friday I went to the service center to check for coolant level going low very fast. On the day when I got the delivery of the vehicle, the coolant level was slightly less than max. In 16 days and 500 odd km's of city driving, it dropped till minimum. I checked for any leakages, but there was none. The service center person said, this happens in the new engine and it is normal (sometimes I think that everything that a customer reports is normal), and after the first service, it will stabilize. As per him, the system absorbs some amount of coolant; don't worry as long as there is no leakage. I got the coolant topped up and moved on.

On Sat-Sun, went for a short outstation trip of about 550 kms. After the drive checked the coolant level and it was somewhere in between min and max levels. Again no leakage and engine temp is at constant 5 bars.

Is coolant consumption at this rate a normal behavior?
Old 19th June 2017, 14:48   #1699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Is coolant consumption at this rate a normal behavior?
No its not. Autoindian had posted about similar issue where radiator hose was replaced and also a clamp was changed. Check this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4085805
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 16:42   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
No its not. Autoindian had posted about similar issue where radiator hose was replaced and also a clamp was changed. Check this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4085805
Thanks, Procrj! Will get this checked.

Did two tankfull of fuel. First tankfull was consumed in Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic, so much so that it takes about 1.25 hrs for 10 kms one side. For this I got a mileage of 12.22km/l. The other was for highway drive, for which I got about 14.25 km/l. Both with AC on for almost 90% of time and driving in normal mode.
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:58   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian

My tank is inching towards the 30K Kms mark and now I am wondering if I need to give my car for 3rd service. Asking this as here is a list of things that have been done in the last month or so:

1. Oil + Filter change
2. Fuel filter change
3. Brake pad check - should last another 5K kms
4. Torquing of underbody bolts
5. Alignment & Balancing - going to get that done tomorrow
6. Coolant, Brake & Other fluids - All normal

Don't want to unnecessarily pay money and get the car washed for 2K (I think that is the labour charge for 3rd Service) when nothing needs to be done.
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:19   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My tank is inching towards the 30K Kms mark and now I am wondering if I need to give my car for 3rd service. Asking this as here is a list of things that have been done in the last month or so:
What was your odo reading when you got your last service done?

Quote:
1. Oil + Filter change
2. Fuel filter change
3. Brake pad check - should last another 5K kms
4. Torquing of underbody bolts
5. Alignment & Balancing - going to get that done tomorrow
6. Coolant, Brake & Other fluids - All normal

Don't want to unnecessarily pay money and get the car washed for 2K (I think that is the labour charge for 3rd Service) when nothing needs to be done.
Prima facie looks like you have got all the things done that are supposed to be a part of the regular 30K service. Just check with the service centre if they can treat your last service as the 30K service, so that tomorrow god forbid if any part in the car fails and has to be replaced under standard company warranty, they should not reject the warranty stating that the 30K km service was not done as per the Maintenance Schedule. Just to be on the safer side.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:17   #1703
BHPian

Recently observed that Static bending lamps were not working. Have given TUV to service centre in the morning bit issue is still not resolved. Will have to wait for tomo now. They have changed a couple of sensors but still no luck.
Will keep posted.
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:32   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Recently observed that Static bending lamps were not working. Have given TUV to service centre in the morning bit issue is still not resolved. Will have to wait for tomo now. They have changed a couple of sensors but still no luck.
Will keep posted.
Did you notice this after MLD change?

Because lot of people complaining non working of static bending lights after MLD change.
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:37   #1705
BHPian

Hi everyone,
Did n't get a chance to update earlier, I took the plunge and went in for the MLD. About an year back I had started an email chain with Mahindra customer care to highlight the wheel spin issue, the inadequate cushion and under thigh support in the second row seats and to expedite the FDM replacement which was long due then after placing order. The customer care back then expedited the FDM replacement and did n't comment on the other two points.

6 weeks back I rekindled this email chain asking if there is an update. A week or two later after restarting the thread there was a call enquiring about the issue, I explained to them about my daily perils with the wheel spin and they arranged for the retro fitting. I was told that the MLD retro fitting is being carried out on a case by case basis mainly based on user's terrain conditions and not as a recall.
The retro fitting was carried out at TVS OMR - Chennai. When I left the vehicle for the fitting the SA apparently was not aware about this retro fitting and was not sure about the time it would take to complete the work. So I guess quite a few people at the service centre learnt something new at my vehicle's cost .

It took almost three days for the work to be done but the good thing was that the service centre kept me informed so was overall satisfied with the process.

It has been two weeks since the work was carried out and I have done about 200km.

As for the vehicle's functioning after the MLD installation, the rear wheels now lock after a bit of wheel spin is detected (as expected) and I am now able climb on to our home parking lot without much problem. However, I observed the following after the installation:
1. A thud is heard at the time of wheels locking in the differential - is this expected in a MLD? Because, I have previously driven vehicles only with Electronic Limited slip diffs and not a MLD.
2. A buzzing sound is heard when the vehicle is around 40 KMPH on the 4 th gear, this sound comes up on application of the throttle alone.
3. The thud sound that is usuallyheard near the handbrake when the vehicle negotiates a sharp speed breaker or potholes is pronounced.
I hope these observations are minor and I plan to get it addressed in the oncoming 20K service.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 23rd June 2017 at 07:39. Reason: Added spaces for ease of reading.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:39   #1706
BHPian

Yes, this happened after MLD change only. If anyone has any idea what can be the root cause for this.
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:17   #1707
BHPian

Hi,
Indeed MLD is a great thing but some cons are also coming with it as in some cases. Also the whole process for your vehicle took a long time than expected. MLD change process usually takes 4-5 hrs only.
For your observations please see my comments-

1. Yes whenever MLD is engaged a thud sound is heard , that sound is of wheel locking.

2. This is heard from some other owners as well, it is arising at different speeds in different vehicles. If it is arising at 40 kmph then until which speed it is heard. Is it heard continuously after crossing 40 or stops when you reached more than 60kmph. This sound is because of MLD only. Bad part is that it is heard in some vehicles and not in all which has MLD installed.

3. For the thud sound below gear lever/hand brake area, there is a gear lever mounting which needs to be changed. Ask your service centre to change it with the upgraded part along with the mounting plate. Please see my posts some page back, I have post a picture also of the new mounting.

Also apart form these do check if you static bending lamps are working properly or not.

As you have mentioned that you have raised objection for inadequate under thigh support, is there any communication from Mahindra for it also.
They have given much better and comfortable middle row seats in 100bhp version, atleast they should upgrade ours also

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Hi everyone,
Did n't get a chance to update earlier, I took the plunge and went in for the MLD. About an year back I had started an email chain with Mahindra customer care to highlight the wheel spin issue, the inadequate cushion and under thigh support in the second row seats and to expedite the FDM replacement which was long due then after placing order. The customer care back then expedited the FDM replacement and did n't comment on the other two points.

6 weeks back I rekindled this email chain asking if there is an update. A week or two later after restarting the thread there was a call enquiring about the issue, I explained to them about my daily perils with the wheel spin and they arranged for the retro fitting. I was told that the MLD retro fitting is being carried out on a case by case basis mainly based on user's terrain conditions and not as a recall.
The retro fitting was carried out at TVS OMR - Chennai. When I left the vehicle for the fitting the SA apparently was not aware about this retro fitting and was not sure about the time it would take to complete the work. So I guess quite a few people at the service centre learnt something new at my vehicle's cost .

It took almost three days for the work to be done but the good thing was that the service centre kept me informed so was overall satisfied with the process.

It has been two weeks since the work was carried out and I have done about 200km.

As for the vehicle's functioning after the MLD installation, the rear wheels now lock after a bit of wheel spin is detected (as expected) and I am now able climb on to our home parking lot without much problem. However, I observed the following after the installation:
1. A thud is heard at the time of wheels locking in the differential - is this expected in a MLD? Because, I have previously driven vehicles only with Electronic Limited slip diffs and not a MLD.
2. A buzzing sound is heard when the vehicle is around 40 KMPH on the 4 th gear, this sound comes up on application of the throttle alone.
3. The thud sound that is usuallyheard near the handbrake when the vehicle negotiates a sharp speed breaker or potholes is pronounced.
I hope these observations are minor and I plan to get it addressed in the oncoming 20K service.
dieselburner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:36   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Hi,
Indeed MLD is a great thing but some cons are also coming with it as in some cases. Also the whole process for your vehicle took a long time than expected. MLD change process usually takes 4-5 hrs only.
For your observations please see my comments-

1. Yes whenever MLD is engaged a thud sound is heard , that sound is of wheel locking.

2. This is heard from some other owners as well, it is arising at different speeds in different vehicles. If it is arising at 40 kmph then until which speed it is heard. Is it heard continuously after crossing 40 or stops when you reached more than 60kmph. This sound is because of MLD only. Bad part is that it is heard in some vehicles and not in all which has MLD installed.

3. For the thud sound below gear lever/hand brake area, there is a gear lever mounting which needs to be changed. Ask your service centre to change it with the upgraded part along with the mounting plate. Please see my posts some page back, I have post a picture also of the new mounting.

Also apart form these do check if you static bending lamps are working properly or not.

As you have mentioned that you have raised objection for inadequate under thigh support, is there any communication from Mahindra for it also.
They have given much better and comfortable middle row seats in 100bhp version, atleast they should upgrade ours also
Thanks Dieselburner,

The buzzing sound is intermittent with regards to the speed, it is definitely present around 40 kmph in 4th gear and it is noticed around 60 kmph in the 5th, I am yet to check if it is present beyond that speed as I haven't got a chance to get out of the city.

Yes, I did read your posts on the mounting change but only after this MLD fitting, so will make it a point to change in the oncoming 20K service.

As for the seats, I haven't heard anything from them, the customer care's track record has been addressing only 1 in 3 issues reported everytime so will start prodding them after the 20K service.

Mine is a T4+ variant so it doesn't have static bending lamps.
Old 23rd June 2017, 11:30   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
My tank is inching towards the 30K Kms mark and now I am wondering if I need to give my car for 3rd service.
Where do you get your car serviced in Bangalore?
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:32   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
The buzzing sound is intermittent with regards to the speed, it is definitely present around 40 kmph in 4th gear and it is noticed around 60 kmph in the 5th, I am yet to check if it is present beyond that speed as I haven't got a chance to get out of the city.
Is this buzzing sound similar to a belt slipping sound? If yes then I can co-relate it. As you have mentioned this is happening around 40 kmph in 4th gear and it is noticed around 60 kmph in the 5th. Both these correspond to an engine rpm of 1500. I have also noticed this "chirrrr" kind of sound in this rpm range. As the rpm increases this sound vanishes. This sound is more prominent in higher gears (4th & 5th) at 1500 rpm for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks