Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 22:09   #1756
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
This could be the whistle from the turbo once you get to the 1700 RPM range. Even I could hear this when the car is new but then after a while it just fades away. If its a very slight sound that you are straining to hear, then it should be the turbo but if its something audible even with ambient road sounds, then you might need to figure out whats wrong.
Yeah, looks like the turbo. It's mild and it fades away but comes back every time I accelerate. Haven't had power loss issues so I should not worry so much.

Finally, after 3 visits to the service center, got the niggles sorted out. There was one very annoying sound from the driver's seat whenever the vehicle would be on an uneven surface or even when slowing down. Got that sorted out. It was a big headache to me. The left pulling of the vehicle, which initially was supposedly fixed, but not really fixed was also sorted out (looks like). Hope it remains fixed

Last edited by ambujlal : 19th July 2017 at 22:12.
Old 20th July 2017, 14:02   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
The explanation for ABS alarm was that something was loose in the drivers seat belt and both the front seat belts are replaced.
There was a mistake on my part in this statement, it's not ABS but they said Air Bag alarm was due to driver side seat belt.

I have compared the replaced seat belts on front seats with stock seat belts of the back seat. It seems thickness of the new belts is little less than stock seat belts. Now these new belts are retracting properly. Is it the thickness of the belt causing problem in retraction due to more friction?
Old 23rd July 2017, 11:03   #1758
BHPian

Hi All,

It has been one month having bought the TUV 300 and having driven 1300 kms. My TUV 300 is a T6+ Variant in Silver Colour. I would like to share my some of my experiences along with a bit of prelude that led to the buying of the TUV 300.

Among the few cars I have, I had a Mahindra Renault Logan – 1.5 DLE – Java Brown driven for around 90000 kms. Though I had a fair share of happy memories of this car in the last eight years, this particular car taught me a lot of things. The vehicle started to fall apart from 36000 kms. itself. I had to replace the clutch set twice, entire gearbox once, front suspension overhauled on four occasions, air conditioner repaired on five occasions (was not working even after all this), headlight assemblies replaced. So, in a way I was stuck up with this vehicle and wanted to sell it for quite a long time. But, I hardly ever found a genuine buyer who would be willing to buy this car.

Then, one day I heard of a new Mahindra Dealership – M/s. Bhagwati Frontline Motorizer Pvt. Ltd., opened in Singrauli at Waidhan. I just thought of visiting the Dealership to see the setup for getting my Mahindra Vehicles serviced at the new Dealership, if the facilities at the Dealership turned out to be good. Upon the visit I found the Dealership to be adequately equipped and staff being very courteous. A visit to their Showroom led me to the test drive of the New Bolero Power Plus and the TUV 300 and they noted down my enquiry and asked me if I had any vehicle to exchange while purchasing the new vehicle.

Suddenly, it came to my mind that if they are willing why don’t I try exchanging the Logan for a Bolero just for the sake of selling the Logan and not for the sake of buying the Bolero. Voila! They agreed. I shared with them the photos and documents of the Logan and I was asked to show the Logan to them on my next visit.

Meanwhile, everyone at home wanted to buy the Bolero for its practicality, strong resale. But, somehow I liked the TUV 300 more for its looks, spacious interiors, better mechanicals, comfortable ride when compared to the Bolero. That is when I started reading the TUV 300 Official Review on Team-BHP and read it all in one night. Now, I had some inkling about the vehicle, its pros and its cons. So, I tweeted M&M about my intention of buying the TUV 300 but unable to decide on the TUV 300 due to its persistent niggles and problems. The immediate next day, I was bombarded with calls from M&M Customer Care Team, M&M Sales Team & M&M Dealership, albeit a different one. The repeated assurances from the M&M Customer Care & M&M Sales Team made me finalise the TUV 300 in place of the Bolero.

Finally on 15th June 2017, I went to the Dealership to show the vehicle. Their entire sales team was out for an event and the Dealership was empty. I called up the M&M Sales Team and they connected me to the GM of the Dealership. The GM was very co-operative and offered me Rs. 2,25,000.00 towards the exchange of the Logan Car and another Rs. 20,000.00 as the exchange bonus which seemed to be a sweet deal on the Logan. I gave my go ahead to the GM and he asked me when I would take the delivery of the TUV 300. I told him to arrange for the formalities and get the vehicle delivered that day itself. At the moment, they had 4 TUV 300s in the Showroom – 1) Silver TUV 300 – T4 – Feb. 2017 manufacturing, 2) Silver TUV 300 – T6+ – May 2017 manufacturing, 3) Red TUV 300 – T6+ – Feb. 2017 manufacturing & 4) White TUV 300 – T8 – January 2017 manufacturing. Having read so much on Team-BHP, I went for the one that was the latest one i.e. the Silver TUV 300 – T6+.

Further, post GST the prices of TUV 300 were reduced. I retweeted M&M my concern that M&M needs to reward/ compensate its loyal customers and should come out with solutions. They have finally agreed to provide the 4th Year Extended Warranty Free, though I was asking for both 4th & 5th year Warranty Extensions.

Now, coming to my observations on my TUV 300 T6+. I would list the observations below –
1. The engine vibrates a lot in the first start. But settles down in about 10 seconds. This could be due the use of RFF HLA in place of the conventional rocker assembly. It takes some time for oil to reach the HLA, so the noise is heard. I experience the same in my Scorpio too during the first start which the Dealership & FNG both say are normal.
2. Road behavior and ride comfort are good. Drives well. Feels planted on the road.
3. The rear wheel does spin but not much on slow acceleration. But it would spin a lot during hard acceleration. Now this necessitates the switch of differentials to MLD. But, I need to understand its pros and cons well before, I start bothering the Dealership for the upgrade.
4. The coolant level when I took the delivery of the vehicle was slightly below the Maximum Mark. This level came down to below minimum the next day itself after around 100 kms. I topped up the coolant to Maximum Mark and kept observing it. The coolant level again came down to Minimum Level in the next one week. Again I topped up the coolant to Maximum Level. Since then, the coolant level has stayed constant at Maximum Level since the past month. Need to figure out the reason for such initial coolant reduction and keep a watch on the coolant level.
5. The brake pedal vibrates a lot during sudden braking which I think is a problem because I have never experienced it in other vehicles. Need to figure out a solution to this. Have already informed the Dealership about this.
6. The Door Pad on the Right Side has started vibrating like anything which I think may be due to the door pad clips & locks. Have informed this also to the Dealership. But I am waiting for the 3000 km mark so that these can be solved during the first service of the TUV 300.

This is all about the buying decision, buying experience and ownership experience of 1300 kms. Will update more, as and when interesting things come up.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards.

Ameeth Kumar Jha

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2017 at 08:24.
Ameeth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:56   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameeth View Post
Hi All, It has been one month having bought the TUV 300 and having driven 1300 kms. My TUV 300 is a T6+ Variant in Silver Colour.
Many congratulations Ameeth and welcome to the TUV owner's club here on TBHP.

Quote:
Among the few cars I have, I had a Mahindra Renault Logan – 1.5 DLE – Java Brown driven for around 90000 kms. Though I had a fair share of happy memories of this car in the last eight years, this particular car taught me a lot of things. The vehicle started to fall apart from 36000 kms. itself. I had to replace the clutch set twice, entire gearbox once, front suspension overhauled on four occasions, air conditioner repaired on five occasions (was not working even after all this), headlight assemblies replaced. So, in a way I was stuck up with this vehicle and wanted to sell it for quite a long time. But, I hardly ever found a genuine buyer who would be willing to buy this car.
Oh my god, that is a long list of repairs carried out on your Logan. Normally the Logan's are known for their robustness, hence quite sought after in the taxi market, but your's seems to be the opposite case.

Quote:
Further, post GST the prices of TUV 300 were reduced. I retweeted M&M my concern that M&M needs to reward/ compensate its loyal customers and should come out with solutions. They have finally agreed to provide the 4th Year Extended Warranty Free, though I was asking for both 4th & 5th year Warranty Extensions.
Something is always better than nothing. Do you know to what extent the prices of TUV got revised post GST?

Quote:
Now, coming to my observations on my TUV 300 T6+. I would list the observations below –
1. The engine vibrates a lot in the first start. But settles down in about 10 seconds. This could be due the use of RFF HLA in place of the conventional rocker assembly. It takes some time for oil to reach the HLA, so the noise is heard. I experience the same in my Scorpio too during the first start which the Dealership & FNG both say are normal.
What is this RFF HLA? Hearing this for the first time.

Quote:
3. The rear wheel does spin but not much on slow acceleration. But it would spin a lot during hard acceleration. Now this necessitates the switch of differentials to MLD. But, I need to understand its pros and cons well before, I start bothering the Dealership for the upgrade.
Even I haven't been able to convince myself to go for the MLD just yet

Quote:
4. The coolant level when I took the delivery of the vehicle was slightly below the Maximum Mark. This level came down to below minimum the next day itself after around 100 kms. I topped up the coolant to Maximum Mark and kept observing it. The coolant level again came down to Minimum Level in the next one week. Again I topped up the coolant to Maximum Level. Since then, the coolant level has stayed constant at Maximum Level since the past month. Need to figure out the reason for such initial coolant reduction and keep a watch on the coolant level.
Keep a close watch on this as this is the most common issue with most of the TUVs

Quote:
5. The brake pedal vibrates a lot during sudden braking which I think is a problem because I have never experienced it in other vehicles. Need to figure out a solution to this. Have already informed the Dealership about this.
I don't this this is an issue. Since your's is a T6+ model it is equipped with ABS. On hard braking the ABS kicks in and you get this pulsating feeling on the brake pedal. This is absolutely normal and rather a good thing because this indicates that the ABS is working normally. If this happens everytime to press the brake pedal then the ABS in your car might be getting activated prematurely.

Quote:
6. The Door Pad on the Right Side has started vibrating like anything which I think may be due to the door pad clips & locks. Have informed this also to the Dealership. But I am waiting for the 3000 km mark so that these can be solved during the first service of the TUV 300.
Get this addressed during the first service. Putting some packing/damping material like foam between the door panel and door body can solve this.

Quote:
This is all about the buying decision, buying experience and ownership experience of 1300 kms. Will update more, as and when interesting things come up.
Very good summary in a single post. Please do keep sharing here and yes where are the pictures?
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:56   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations Ameeth and welcome to the TUV owner's club here on TBHP.

Hi Sir,

Thanx for your wishes!

I would like to reply to your comments one by one -

1) Yes! The list of repairs on my Logan were endless. It had somehow become a problem child.

2) Yes Sir! Something is always better than nothing. But, in this case I had already squeezed the Dealership a lot. Hence, no grudges.

3) The price of TUV 300 T6+ has been reduced by around Rs. 32,000.00. But they have reduced the schemes, discounts and exchange bonus considerably which makes my purchase still cheaper by around Rs. 10,000.00. Also, they have given me the 4th Year Extended Warranty now. So, no worries at all.

4) RFF is Roller Finger Follower and HLA is Hydraulic Lash Adjuster. These are being used in almost all the new generation engines for lower noise, greater reliability and durability over the conventional Valve Train Technology (Rocker & Pushrod).

5) I understand that MLD Update would be great for my vehicle. But, I don't want my vehicle to become a guinea pig for M&M or another problem child for me. So, at the moment I am thinking of keeping a close watch on the vehicle slippage issue.

6) Coolant Level is constant since the past one month and have been keeping a close watch on the same.

7) As regards the brake pedal vibration, I do understand that this could be due to the ABS kicking in. But, this doesn't happen in my other vehicles equipped with ABS. Hence, a reason for worry.

8) The Door Pads rattling in just 1000 kms is a grave issue and beyond my expectations. It has surfaced in the front right door first because this is the door that was opened and closed on my so far solo drives. I think this rattling would gradually start in other doors too after some time. Probably, this has got something to do with the quality of parts and materials used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations Ameeth and welcome to the club. Thanks for sharing the break-up. You can share your initial impressions later whenever you get some time, but for now at least share some pictures. What color is the tank? Any GST benefits you received?
Hi Sir,
Here are few pics of my TUV 300 T6+ Silver.
Regards.
Ameeth
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172142.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172152.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172204.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170615_172219.jpg  

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2017 at 08:25.
Ameeth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 07:01   #1761
BHPian

So a buddy o mine has recently got the tuv 300, he previously used to drive an i20. The last couple of times I have talked to him in the few months he's owned the vehicle he complained about the steering. He's aware that it won't be as effortless as a Hyundai but he says it's too tight and he's even having shoulder pain driving for long times. So was wondering if the steering is really that tight/hard to manuver or is my friend just cribbing since he came from a Hyundai.
Old 24th July 2017, 07:59   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilireddy0 View Post
So a buddy o mine has recently got the tuv 300, he previously used to drive an i20. The last couple of times I have talked to him in the few months he's owned the vehicle he complained about the steering. He's aware that it won't be as effortless as a Hyundai but he says it's too tight and he's even having shoulder pain driving for long times. So was wondering if the steering is really that tight/hard to manuver or is my friend just cribbing since he came from a Hyundai.
The contributing factors, in my opinion:
TUV steering is really that tight/hard to maneuver - 10%
Is my friend just cribbing since he came from a Hyundai - 90%.

I can list down below the three primary reasons for him having complains about the TUV steering:
  • Firstly he is graduating from a hatch to a SUV. This SUV (a 1.6 tonner) is 50-60% heavier compared to his earlier i20. The heavier the car the tighter is the steering (provided both have the same steering types)
  • Secondly the i20 has an EPS, meaning the steering is assisted by a servo motor whereas the TUV has a hydraulic steering. EPS steering is inherently lighter to operate. The difference is accentuated at crawling speeds
  • Thirdly Hyundai steering is known to be lighter compared to competition.
Wish your friend had taken extensive test drive of the TUV, so that he would have know about the heavier steering before hand. Now that he cannot make any change in the car or its steering he should try to adjust. He should always remember that he is driving a SUV, having a hydraulic steering. Moreover as a basic principle always steer the car when it is rolling and not when it is stationary. Rolling tyres have least resistance when steered compared to stationary tyres.

Inform your friend that it will just be a matter of time till he gets used to the hydraulic steering and he will start loving it when he hits the highway. The car feels absolutely under control even on curves, despite having a high center of gravity only because of this hydraulic steering.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th July 2017 at 08:25.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 11:06   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilireddy0 View Post
Hi Sir,
In my opinion, a slightly heavier Power Steering is better than the over assisted Power Steering. The over assisted Power Steering takes away the feel of driving.
Regards.
Ameeth
Ameeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 19:23   #1764
BHPian

Hi All,

The fuel tank cap of the TUV 300 is now held to the fuel lid. Now, it is less likely to drop off or to be lost at the fuel pumps.

I am attaching an earlier pic already posted by Tushar on the first page of this review and am also attaching a couple of pics of the the fuel tank cap held to the fuel lid in my TUV 300.

I feel somebody at Mahindra is hearing what its customers are saying.

Regards.

Ameeth
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv30013.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170725_155903.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170725_155914.jpg  

Ameeth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 10:08   #1765
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameeth View Post

4) RFF is Roller Finger Follower and HLA is Hydraulic Lash Adjuster. These are being used in almost all the new generation engines for lower noise, greater reliability and durability over the conventional Valve Train Technology (Rocker & Pushrod)......

Regards.
Ameeth
Hello Ameeth,
A very informative and comprehensive post for prospective customers (me included!) and thank you for this! And your accompanying photos are a good indicator why the TUV appeals so strongly to those keen on acquiring a proper SUV.

I shall just add a suffix to the RFF HLA bit - they are indeed useful in reducing noise & harshness and their great plus point is that they almost eliminate the need for regular tappet adjustment for valve timing. Unfortunately they haven't caught on yet in such a big way here (having been introduced by Daimler-Benz in their cars decades ago).
Old 30th July 2017, 12:54   #1766
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks - new seatbelts with better spring available for TUV. Do get them changed. Details here
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:56   #1767
BHPian

Gave my TUV for first paid service (30000 KMs) to Koncept Mahindra, Greater Noida today; and was in for a shock - M&M's service is way too expensive.

Service labor charges are 3600 - the most I have ever paid for any vehicle. Suspension lubrication for 1780. SA tried to sell me muffler cleaning for 1890, something called MDC for 950 and caliper pin greasing for 1300 - for which I refused. And he all but threatened me that if I don't get this done - my car will suffer.

After couple of hours I got another call from SA - telling me that brake pads and wipers also need replacement. When I asked about the costs - 4000 for brake pads and 1200 for wipers, plus 28% GST. For which I declined again.

These prices are atrocious to say the least. Had I known M&M service is so expensive, would have never gone for TUV.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:58   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Gave my TUV for first paid service (30000 KMs) to Koncept Mahindra, Greater Noida today; and was in for a shock - M&M's service is way too expensive.

Service labor charges are 3600
I think in general service has become costlier post GST. I recently had to get the dead battery of my Royal Enfield changed; I use drivojoy for two wheeler service. On a battery cost of 2800, I paid some Rs 510 as the tax that is 18% . Service is going to be costlier going forward.
Attached Images

Old 3rd August 2017, 14:14   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for totally .

But niggles or not, this car is an absolute hit for M&M. Every day in my 60km journey to and from office, the TUV300 is the car I see in most numbers after the usual hatchbacks / compact sedans and yellow plate cars.

In non metro/urban areas where the road quality is exceptionally poor - worse in the rainy season, people are buying this car in numbers slightly lower than the CRETA from what I see. Obviously from the aspiration quotient CRETA is the more sought after car perhaps in these places.

However, the way these cars are handled, used and run in these parts, I'm very very keen to see the state of a TUV300 compared to a CRETA used in same part of the world, 3-4 years down the line. The TUV300 gives an impression that it is a no nonsense, robust vehicle that will take any abuse that is thrown at it. CRETA - well its a Hyundai compact "SUV"; a bit unsure how it will cope with this terrain.

I really hope M&M throws in a 4x4 option on the TUV. Or brings another separate similar car with a 4x4 on this platform . Its short wheelbase, sharp dimensions & robust build/chassis always make me feel it will be one fun off-roader. Certainly good enough for basic off-roading if not for die-hard THAR or Force Gurkha territory.

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd August 2017 at 14:16.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:53   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

Service labor charges are 3600 - the most I have ever paid for any vehicle. Suspension lubrication for 1780. SA tried to sell me muffler cleaning for 1890, something called MDC for 950 and caliper pin greasing for 1300 - for which I refused. And he all but threatened me that if I don't get this done - my car will suffer.

After couple of hours I got another call from SA - telling me that brake pads and wipers also need replacement. When I asked about the costs - 4000 for brake pads and 1200 for wipers, plus 28% GST. For which I declined again.

These prices are atrocious to say the least. Had I known M&M service is so expensive, would have never gone for TUV.
Looks like you have been taken for a royal ride by your service centre. I have quoted below Procrj from his ownership thread on his 30K service expenses. He has been charged Rs 1375/- + taxes for the same 30K service. Please escalate this with Mahindra Customer Care. M&M should not tolerate such malpractices by their authorized workshops. Suspension lubrication, muffler cleaning, caliper pin greasing all these are gimmicks to earn some fast money. Never fall prey to such gimmicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Reluctantly decided to take my car to IG for the 30K service as I did not want to impact warranty and my odo was at 31.7K. Hope this continues and I dont spend more than a couple of hours for regular service. Total bill was 2.8K as they charged me only for the mechanical service labour.

Attachment 1661903.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks