Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:57   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
safari which has done 1.28 lakh km and is in perfect shape.
Why not retain the same then Prasanna? Asking as a well maintained safari might still be a better beast than the TUV unless you are looking at something that is little more modern and has a few more creature comforts.

Quote:
1. Does 100 bhp feel underpowered on highways? I use it 70% on highways and 30% on rural roads.
If its 2L highways then you shouldn’t have a problem as the car has enough torque in all gears to help overtakes but its not quick. You will need to plan your overtakes. If its 4L roads then after 3K RPM, there isnt a lot of juice left and while you slowly watch the needle climb up, other cars will whiz past you.

If you need more speed, then get a RD box. I drove Captain Rex's TUV yesterday which has a RD box and it sure can get a move on even at 2800 RPM. My car takes a while to get from 100-120 and after that it take even longer to touch higher speeds but Captain's black beast was a lot more eager to get a move on even at 3K RPM.

Quote:
2. Is it too bouncy in bad roads? How is the ride quality?
Yes its bouncy when you are doing highway speeds and the road is uneven. Bad roads can be of different types and the car handles differently
1. Mud & gravel path - you wont feel a thing as long as the road is relatively flat
2. Potholed & broken roads - again not a problem as low as you are doing 30+ kmpl. In fact it drives very well on such roads and you wont feel the potholes or broken patches. At low speeds, it will wallow around and make you wish you had retained your safari
3. No roads, no path - have done a few stretches like this and the TUV is a very bad place to be in as you are doing low speeds over uneven surfaces. You will be jostled and swung around from side to side and wish you were sailing into stormy seas instead of holding the wheel of the TUV.

Quote:
3. What real world fuel efficiency do you get?
70% Highway and 30% City should give you about 14 kmpl in the real world as long as your city is not all B2B driving. If its a lot of B2B, then expect around 13 kmpl in normal mode. Not sure about eco mode as the car is just too underpowered in that mode and I dont use it.

Quote:
4. Is there any issues with your car? Is it reliable?
Lots of niggles and replacements like resonator, coolant leakage etc. but I havent been stranded anywhere in the 34K that I have driven. This is not a fill it shut it forget it car, you need to be on your lookout and try to pre-empt issues.

Given your driving patterns of 3K kms per month, I wouldn’t suggest the TUV unless space is an absolute mandatory condition. If the max is going to be 4 adults in the car, you will be better off with a Ecosport or even a pre owned S Cross with its higher FE and relatively niggle free ownership.

Last edited by procrj : 3rd September 2017 at 09:00.
procrj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:14   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello TUV300 owners,

I was planning to replace my 2012 Safari Dicor 2.2 with an XUV500. But Mahindra quoted pathetic resale for my safari which has done 1.28 lakh km and is in perfect shape. So I am thinking of retaining the Safari and going for a TUV300 T8 100 BHP. I have a few questions
May I ask you what was the price offered by them? In any case good decision to stick with your Safari, if your Safari is in perfect condition, why sell it? It is just 5 years old. Before I can attempt to answer your questions, let me know your exact requirements. I assume your highway runs can be handled by your Safari, which can carry 5-6 people in comfort with their luggage. You will need another small car to do city runabouts, then why are you considering XUV or TUV? (Please don't take offense at my silly question, but need to know your exact requirement)

Quote:
1. Does 100 bhp feel underpowered on highways? I use it 70% on highways and 30% on rural roads.
Perhaps the 100 bhp owners can comment more on this. However, even with the 85 bhp version that I own, I never felt it underpowered for my requirements. But if you ever get into a drag race, chances are that even lesser powered hatches may leave you behind. I would suggest test drive the TUV extensively to understand its power/torque delivery abilities.

Quote:
2. Is it too bouncy in bad roads? How is the ride quality?
Being a SUV with high profile tyres ride quality is good, may not be comparable to Safari. However I feel it better than the old generation Innova, which I owned and drove for one year. Usually ladder-on-frame UVs ride flat when fully loaded, but if you are the lone person in the car, it may feel a bit bouncy.

Quote:
3. What real world fuel efficiency do you get?
I have driven 27K kms till date & my overall FE is 14.10 kmpl

Quote:
4. Is there any issues with your car? Is it reliable?
Other than the few voluntary recalls by M&M and two issues of rattling window and coolant leakage (both of which were promptly addressed by M&M) I haven't faced anything major in last 22 months (27K kms) of ownership (touchwood). So that way it won't be an exaggeration if I can call it fairy reliable.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:05   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to buy an ecosport Trend+ (works out same price as TUV T8). Dad is adamant on a rugged SUV over ecosport. He finds TUV more spacious while I find them at par. Plus the ford is more fuel efficient(i do 2500-3000km a month)
Given your high running the Ecosport would be a more sensible choice over TUV as it has better fuel efficiency (it being lighter). A rugged SUV like the TUV is no doubt suitable for our bad roads and to carry the occasional 6 or 7th passenger (which the Ecosport cannot), however when such need arises you already have your Safari at your disposal. For high running, maximum highway usage, carrying upto 4 passengers max, the Ecosport is no doubt more suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK004 View Post
1. No, the I have driven at 120-130 kmph with 4 passengers and some luggage. Performance was adequate! You feel decent thrust on the pedal till that range.
2. No it ain't bouncy either, check Tyre pressure is at 33 psi.
3. I get 12kmpl in heavy density city traffic with AC on 100%. I am sure eco mode and higher % of highway drive will significantly improve the ratings. Max I have attained 17 kmpl.
4. Reliability great till now, however I have clicked just 11,000 kms and 7 months
You are pretty much right, RICK004 & I concur with your observations barring the max FE part. 17 kmpl has been a distant dream for me. The max FE that I have been able to achieve has been 15.10 kmpl. I believe the short gearing is to blame for this. A taller fifth gear or a sixth gear is the most important feature that the TUV is missing. The 6th gear would have given the TUV great mile munching abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Why not retain the same then Prasanna? Asking as a well maintained safari might still be a better beast than the TUV unless you are looking at something that is little more modern and has a few more creature comforts.

Quote:
If its 2L highways then you shouldn’t have a problem as the car has enough torque in all gears to help overtakes but its not quick. You will need to plan your overtakes. If its 4L roads then after 3K RPM, there isnt a lot of juice left and while you slowly watch the needle climb up, other cars will whiz past you.
100 to 110 kmph is the best cruising speed. If the TUV had a 6th gear it would have cruised leisurely all day long, 100 kmph coming at 2k rpm and 120 kmph at 2.5k rpm. I am sure this will be taken care in the new elongated TUV that will be launched soon.

Quote:
Lots of niggles and replacements like resonator, coolant leakage etc. but I havent been stranded anywhere in the 34K that I have driven. This is not a fill it shut it forget it car, you need to be on your lookout and try to pre-empt issues.
Spot on Ravinder, any new car being launched will have its own share of initial teething issues and the TUV has been no different. What matters the most is how these are being handled by the service centres and the manufacturer. Even the mighty Innova Crysta is not niggle free and I take great solace in the fact that within a couple of months from the launch of Crysta the "Crysta Niggles" thread was started --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...va-crysta.html. As against this the TUV has been in the market for the last two years and I am yet to see a TUV niggles thread . On the flip side though, the AMT owners have not been that lucky and compared to the manual transmission TUVs, the AMTs have reported more issues.

Quote:
Given your driving patterns of 3K kms per month, I wouldn’t suggest the TUV unless space is an absolute mandatory condition. If the max is going to be 4 adults in the car, you will be better off with a Ecosport or even a pre owned S Cross with its higher FE and relatively niggle free ownership.
The Ecosport or even the Brezza would be a good option. I would slightly differ on the S-Cross though. It has very good build quality (unlike any other Maruti), however some serious issues like "Engine seizure" has been reported for S-Cross. The relevant thread is here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...is-engine.html
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:20   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Why not retain the same then Prasanna?

Yes its bouncy when you are doing highway speeds and the road is uneven.

Thanks Procrj!

Sorry guys if i havent been clear enough in my question post. I have decided to retain the safari.

We already have two marutis at home - Celerio and Ciaz DDIS. We feel maruti service costs are higher than mahindra/ford/tata. And 5000 km service interval is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
May I ask you what was the price offered by them? In any case good decision to stick with your Safari, if your Safari is in perfect condition, why sell it? It is just 5 years old. Before I can attempt to answer your questions, let me know your exact requirements. I assume your highway runs can be handled by your Safari, which can carry 5-6 people in comfort with their luggage. You will need another small car to do city runabouts, then why are you considering XUV or TUV? (Please don't take offense at my silly question, but need to know your exact requirement)
Mahindra offered a pathetic 2.2 lakhs for the safari. You can visit my safari thread and you will know how well maintained it is.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...r-2-2-vtt.html

The irritating part is when he said "Sir, safari is in mint condition sir, I could feel it once i cranked the engine, It doesnt feel like a 1.28 lakh run 5 year old car sir, rides beautifully" and then quote 2.2 lakhs!

My requirement is simple, to substitute safari (not on highway long journeys, for which safari will be used) on bad rural roads we drive on, at times to haul farm produce(rarely though).

We already have 2 small cars, a celerio and a kwid 1.0. Since we are not selling the safari, i am planning to sell my 1 year old kwid 1.0 and was thinking of going to TUV300/Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Given your high running the Ecosport would be a more sensible choice over TUV as it has better fuel efficiency (it being lighter). A rugged SUV like the TUV is no doubt suitable for our bad roads and to carry the occasional 6 or 7th passenger (which the Ecosport cannot), however when such need arises you already have your Safari at your disposal. For high running, maximum highway usage, carrying upto 4 passengers max, the Ecosport is no doubt more suitable.

The Ecosport or even the Brezza would be a good option. I would slightly differ on the S-Cross though. It has very good build quality (unlike any other Maruti), however some serious issues like "Engine seizure" has been reported for S-Cross. The relevant thread is here --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...is-engine.html
90% of the time, it is going to be driver + 1. Ride quality is paramount importance along with decent FE. My safari gives me 10 kmpl. Ecosport makes a great choice, but elders at home like boxy designs over modern contemporary designs. Dad liked butch TUV300. Once i told him the quote mahindra offered, he was shocked. And after reading all your valuable inputs, I dont think TUV 300 would cut it. I have shown my kwid 1.0 at Renault for evaluation as dad wants to buy a Duster 85PS. Test drove it and it felt more agile than the 100 BHP TUV and my 140 BHP Safari and the ride quality was impressive, noticeably better than Ecosport and TUV300.
If Renault quotes a good price for Kwid, I may book Duster 85.

But honestly, I feel TUV is underrated! It is so value for money, considering the fact that I may pick a 13 lakh duster that doesnt even get dual airbags!! TUV makes a lot of sense if one needs a tough abuse friendly and spacious SUV within 10 lakhs!

Thanks for the inputs Procrj, Rick and AutoIndian!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd September 2017 at 12:33.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 20:40   #1805
Senior - BHPian

My tank had an issue today. The belt connecting alternator and power steering pulleys was removed. I noticed just while taking out the tank from parking. It may be because of a cat entered engine bay to take shelter during heavy rain. Initially did not realize it, but got a hint from a fellow tank owner. I have seen a cat near my parking in the morning and later minutely observed the NVH cover and found cat’s footprints. About one year back I had found a pigeon body on the NVH cover kept by a cat.

First called Mahindra Road Side Assistance, but they could not show up in 3 hours. Then called Customer Care Manager, Bengaluru and he asked India Garage to send technicians to home. They fixed the belt in just 2 minutes. Belt was found good after inspection, so the same belt was used. Good thing is that I will be able to do it myself if required, but bad thing is that I lost half day in the process.

To fix it, first put the belt on 3 pulleys which are grooved (V cut side). Then lift the auto tensioner pulley with a number 15 wrench (pull it upwards slightly), slide the smoother side of the belt below it. You are done!

If this belt is removed, alternator can't generate power or charge battery and power steering will not work. I drove about 1 km with a very hard steering. The technicians told me that if it happens in a remote place, switch off AC, fan and music system, that is preserve battery and drive to a service centre or spare parts dealer. But I understand at night it will be difficult as lights will consume the battery quickly. I don't think the belt will displace while driving, as auto tensioner will keep it in place. Unless there is an external disturbance, it should not come out from the pulleys.

Part they got for replacement but not used:
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170904_172110.jpg

Auto tensioner pulley:
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-apb.jpg

Last edited by airbus : 4th September 2017 at 20:47. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 09:55   #1806
BHPian

A quick post on a revelation that dawned on me during my Saturday early morning run to the station. The revelation was that many of the current TUV owners have/had a WagonR! I have met atleast 7 such people (including me) so far and my neighbor who owns a WagonR now is planning to buy a TUV. Does that suggest a behavioural pattern?
Well, is this worth a discussion? I am not sure, but I do hope TUV builds a reputation as good as its spiritual Forebear(atleast according to me)!
sathyasuri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 11:20   #1807
BHPian

Great observation sathyasuri. My first car was also a WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
A quick post on a revelation that dawned on me during my Saturday early morning run to the station. The revelation was that many of the current TUV owners have/had a WagonR! I have met atleast 7 such people (including me) so far and my neighbor who owns a WagonR now is planning to buy a TUV. Does that suggest a behavioural pattern?
Well, is this worth a discussion? I am not sure, but I do hope TUV builds a reputation as good as its spiritual Forebear(atleast according to me)!
Old 10th September 2017, 20:48   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Did any of you guys face hesitation to throttle inputs when in 3rd gear while at 2000 rpm during early morning/first starts in the day? When I start for the office in morning @ 09:30am, for the first 200 metres, I have to cross two speed breakers and seldom I could upshift to 3rd gear. Even if shifted cannot cross 1500 rpm. The I get on to the main road and when I shift to 3rd gear and rpm needle going from 1500 rpm to 2000 rpm there is a light power loss and hesitation to throttle inputs. This is experienced for the initial 4-5 kms. Once the engine warms up sufficiently (4-5 bars on the temperature gauge), I do not face this problem. Although it is not of a much concern, just wanted to check if any one of you TUV owners here have experienced/faced this issue during cold morning starts?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 10th September 2017 at 20:49.
Old 11th September 2017, 23:08   #1809
BHPian

Yes. I too faced the intermittent power loss. A vague comparison but its similar to power loss when my scooter used to have dirt in carburator.
monakar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 13:47   #1810

Hello All, I need suggestion from fellow owners on tyre rotation. I have completed 1 yr 8 months with my TUV and have done 43k kms.

I haven't got rotation done till now but last week when I was doing a casual check, I found that the treads left on the front tyres was much lesser than the treads left on the rear ones. In fact, the front left tyre seems to have worn out more than all the others. I have never used the spare tyre in this period.

Can you please suggest if I should get the tyres rotated and if yes, then what combination should be used.
Also, should I include the spare in the rotation?
Old 13th September 2017, 12:34   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Better to rotate tyres every 5k Kms and balance and alignment every 10k kms
Old 14th September 2017, 18:21   #1812

Tuv300 is reportedly getting an upgrade in the form of a higher variant T10. It would have a new infotainment system.
Source : autocarindia http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...s-month-402616
akchd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 09:58   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akchd View Post
Tuv300 is reportedly getting an upgrade in the form of a higher variant T10. It would have a new infotainment system.
Source : autocarindia http://www.autocarindia.com/car-news...s-month-402616
Below is the change log as per my initial observations

1) Dual tone color
2) Gray Spare wheel cap
3) Gray Alloy Wheels
4) Faux leather seats
5) 7 inches touch screen infortainment system
6) T10 badging
7) 108 BHP on AMT version

I wonder if T8 version cars can be fitted with this infotainment system. I would love to get it done at MASS.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2017 at 17:00. Reason: Corrected several typos. Please proof read your posts for grammar and typos before submitting them. Thanks.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2017, 10:16   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Belos is the change log as per my initial observations
Very poor for an upgrade. Surprising they have not added Cruise Control, Sunroof and rear camera at the least.

Not sure of the price difference over T8, but anything more than 30-40K wouldn't make sense.

As a side note, I have a T8 AMT cruising well at 24K Km.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2017 at 09:38. Reason: Quoted post edited
rajpvrm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 16:31   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
Very poor for an upgrade. Surprising they have not added Cruise Control, Sunroof and rear camera at the least.

Not sure of the price difference over T8, but anything more than 30-40K wouldn't make sense.

As a side note, I have a T8 AMT cruising well at 24K Km.
Mine is May'17 manufactured T8 AMT as well rocking at 10k KM. Black panther Egarly waiting for the pricing details on this from Mahindra. BTW did your tank face AMT issue anytime? Mine once died and started after couple of minutes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks