Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2017, 08:57   #1831
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Hi friends,

So, this time last year TUV was one of the top contenders for replacing one of my cars but due to all the issues (not just niggles) and seeing the pics of TUV being towed, I had to reluctantly let it pass.

Now, in the market to replace my second car and hoping a year would have been enough for Mahindra to fix the issues, I come back here again hoping to read about turnaround of TUV quality for good. The recent launch of T-10 and seeing the shiny "tank" through the glass at the dealer made it back onto '17 contender list. But I'm so peeved and frustrated after having read that many issues from past still exist, wheel spinning is selectively being sorted and then after seeing a TUV (on Temp plate) spin its rear wheels the other day confirmed that it still might not be a great buy considering peace-of-mind factor.

I really do like the overall TUV package especially the cozy & spacious interiors, suspension setup, commanding view, car like drive et al but I just can't live with a fear factor of having to tow the car any given time or worry about any of the issues mentioned in the thread. Reading through the thread I could glean that there are more discussions about issues/fixes/svc visits et al, than the actual happy ownership experiences. Please don't take me wrong if I sound a bit negative but that's more of disappointment. I consider TUV as a solid 'Tank' which can take me through the urban and rural roads with ease (no off-roading). The holy grail wishbone & multilink suspension setup on TUV is the best in this segment (ride quality even better than Duster/Terrano) which when coupled with reasonable price, spacious interior makes TUV a very strong contender but the reliability (my priority #1) is nothing much to talk of, is it?

So, appreciate if you could share words of wisdom to still instill some sense of confidence in the vehicle or suggest looking elsewhere. Cheers!

As always thanks to you T-bhp TUV owners for your unbiased & detailed posts which helps us be aware of the real deal.

oh! and i don't have any more cars to replace so I can't come back for TUV next year
Old 25th October 2017, 14:40   #1832
BHPian

Came across this video on youtube.
TUV300 vs Vitara Brezza trying to cross a water stream. TUV300 did it with ease whereas the Brezza got stuck.
Better driver or better car?
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:14   #1833
BHPian

Finally, took delivery of T10 yesterday. Bengaluru. Will post detailed review later.

But, what I experienced was a bit weird. Mist formation on the inside of LHS headlamp doom. Anyone experienced this?

Rest, am in love with the vehicle. Am spellbound to explain the amazing experience I had with India Garage. Would recommend them for folks here. More on my detailed experience, in a week. With pics.
shreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 18:00   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Came across this video on Youtube.
TUV300 vs Vitara Brezza trying to cross a water stream. TUV300 did it with ease whereas the Brezza got stuck.
Better driver and RWD + the momentum might have helped TUV300. Weight distribution of RWD cars is much better than the FWD cars.
Noticed Brezza had after market alloys, tire size and thread pattern also matters.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th October 2017 at 18:06. Reason: Avoid videos in quotes
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 22:50   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedharan View Post
Finally, took delivery of T10 yesterday. Bengaluru. Will post detailed review later.
Many congratulations shreedharan and welcome to the club. Guess yours would be the first T10 on this forum

Quote:
But, what I experienced was a bit weird. Mist formation on the inside of LHS headlamp doom. Anyone experienced this?
I haven't experienced any such thing in my two years of ownership. Perhaps a case of lose headlamp gasket/ rubber beading, get it rectified from India Garage asap.

Quote:
Rest, am in love with the vehicle. Am spellbound to explain the amazing experience I had with India Garage. Would recommend them for folks here. More on my detailed experience, in a week. With pics.
Please share a lot of pictures, especially comparing it with the T8 model. Need to understand what all stuff we, T8 owners are missing compared to the T10.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 00:40   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Many congratulations shreedharan and welcome to the club. Guess yours would be the first T10 on this forum

I haven't experienced any such thing in my two years of ownership. Perhaps a case of lose headlamp gasket/ rubber beading, get it rectified from India Garage asap.

Please share a lot of pictures, especially comparing it with the T8 model. Need to understand what all stuff we, T8 owners are missing compared to the T10.

Thanks. Maybe mine is first.

Have already I formed dealer & sales person about it. Will get it rectified soon.

Few visible improvements, after extensively going through this thread. Let me list out:

1. Music system has proved a lot. Speakers were almost Sony Xplod. (Who needs a Harman. Hexa was one of my options before. This is enough for me) Not exaggerating here. Just change few settings in "custom" mode in equalizer.

2. Fuel cap has a string. Captain Rex will be happy to hear this. Now Mahindra has replied to your message. Even fuel cap is important.

3. Touch screen is good. But, quite basic. Loved navigation mode.

4. Felt the need for reverse camera when I test drove. I had asked the dealer to add camera (costs 3,500/-). But for the touch screen to be used as display. This means, ECU needs to be flashed. The software update for this hasn't come yet. Dealer assured me that this would be done when I get my first service done.

So, for now, reverse camera can't be fitted, if you want to use same touchscreen as display.

5. Mudflaps should be basic. Still not being added.

6. Pickup on 100Bhp, felt like I was driving my Gypsy. Its as good as a petrol engine (in non-Eco mode). I have owned 3 cars till now. All petrol. This is my first diesel car. Was very impressed. Earlier tryst with Ritz diesel in Delhi, was a tale. Pretty bad experience. This one, is amazing. Do a test drive, you'll know what am saying.

7. Seats are good improvement from T8. T8 is what they had in showroom as the T10 I got was supposed to be their showroom display vehicle.

These are unbiased views.

Will post a few pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2017 at 16:50. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post. Edited as per request
shreedharan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 11:40   #1837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Is it because the Brezza is FWD ? When the TUV entered the same point, the driven wheels were in the clear and these were able to push the TUV out of that spot.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 13:53   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is it because the Brezza is FWD ? When the TUV entered the same point, the driven wheels were in the clear and these were able to push the TUV out of that spot.
Here is the full video to make things more puzzling.

Even the XUV gets stuck although it's powered wheels were in the clear. I guess it's just about keeping/losing momentum and sheer luck.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 14:57   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Here is the full video to make things more puzzling.

Even the XUV gets stuck although it's powered wheels were in the clear. I guess it's just about keeping/losing momentum and sheer luck.
XUV is FWD and a monocoque SUV too like Brezza, but at the end of the video the front wheels aren't spinning on the XUV so I think the engine stalled, it wasn't actually stuck there. I think the TUV driver was able to maintain the momentum throughout the crossing, so maybe we can say thay it's more about driving skills than sheer luck.

But whatever the case those were either brave or stupid people who risked their lives to push out the brezza out of the stream, one slip and they might have gone down the valley to a certain death.

Last edited by wrongturn : 26th October 2017 at 14:59.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 16:45   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreedharan View Post
Congrats for the first T10 on TBHP.
MIST: I also had same issue when I had picked my T8 last year but same did not appear this year - throughout the Mumbai monsoons. We have had a rather extended monsoons this year.

Do post interior pics please, especially of seats, front & back.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 26th October 2017 at 16:49.
Old 28th October 2017, 06:27   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Hi friends,

So, this time last year TUV was one of the top contenders for replacing one of my cars but due to all the issues (not just niggles) and seeing the pics of TUV being towed, I had to reluctantly let it pass.

Now, in the market to replace my second car and hoping a year would have been enough for Mahindra to fix the issues, I come back here again hoping to read about turnaround of TUV quality for good. The recent launch of T-10 and seeing the shiny "tank" through the glass at the dealer made it back onto '17 contender list. But I'm so peeved and frustrated after having read that many issues from past still exist, wheel spinning is selectively being sorted and then after seeing a TUV (on Temp plate) spin its rear wheels the other day confirmed that it still might not be a great buy considering peace-of-mind factor.

I really do like the overall TUV package especially the cozy & spacious interiors, suspension setup, commanding view, car like drive et al but I just can't live with a fear factor of having to tow the car any given time or worry about any of the issues mentioned in the thread. Reading through the thread I could glean that there are more discussions about issues/fixes/svc visits et al, than the actual happy ownership experiences. Please don't take me wrong if I sound a bit negative but that's more of disappointment. I consider TUV as a solid 'Tank' which can take me through the urban and rural roads with ease (no off-roading). The holy grail wishbone & multilink suspension setup on TUV is the best in this segment (ride quality even better than Duster/Terrano) which when coupled with reasonable price, spacious interior makes TUV a very strong contender but the reliability (my priority #1) is nothing much to talk of, is it?

So, appreciate if you could share words of wisdom to still instill some sense of confidence in the vehicle or suggest looking elsewhere. Cheers!

As always thanks to you T-bhp TUV owners for your unbiased & detailed posts which helps us be aware of the real deal.

oh! and i don't have any more cars to replace so I can't come back for TUV next year
Hi
I own the tank since Dec 2015 and have clocked 31k till now. Some points (apart from those highlighted already) are as follows:
1. The tank is very balanced. The weight distribution really makes for a composed drive.
2. Being a chasis based vehicle, you enjoy the drive more when the vehicle is loaded
3. Jump seats are practical. It makes for occassions where I had to ask couple of members to either take another vehicle or make family members squeeze in rear seat.
4. The dual stage turbo is less talked about but really makes driving more pleasurable. The tank provides uniform acceleration and you never feel lack of power / acceleration at lower RPM
5. Very powerful headlights add to the safety. The fog lamps are also quite powerful and not just cosmetic
6. The clear winner is the torque. The beast pulls up effortlessly. This also allows shifting to higher gears early. High torque also greatly reduces need to shift gears frequently.
7. Static bending headlamps do miracles; particularly on sharp turns. Once you get used to it seems that these are infact a necessity
8. The confidence of driving anywhere on any road condition boosted after MLD
9. Mine is mhawk 80. I normally drive on highways at 80 to 90 kmph and at that speed the tank cruises effortlessly
10. The width makes seating very comfortable for 3 on rear seat. Although the width also makes driving in city narrow lanes slightly difficult.
11. Braking is just adequate; no issues nothing great
13. Road presence is amazing. I had and still have many onlookers gazing at my tank. In initial 6 months, practically every other day people walked to the tank, admired it and had plethora of enquiries
14. The bulky appearance, width, higher weight and torque pushes you to responsible driving. I found my friends hesitating in taking to the driving seat (just like my old bullet electra)
Rgds
monakar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 20:11   #1842
BHPian

Point no 4 and 11 is what we miss in AMT.

Its really very sluggish and struggle to gain speed in first 2 gears. High acceleration required to move ahead.

Breaking I am not confident enough as it really becomes pathetic in wet conditions and I really need my calculations when driving above 100 kmph.

Rest is fine but still struggling with Mahindra to get going AMT even after 1.5 years of ownership.
ezee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 21:43   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Point no 4 and 11 is what we miss in AMT.

Its really very sluggish and struggle to gain speed in first 2 gears. High acceleration required to move ahead.

Breaking I am not confident enough as it really becomes pathetic in wet conditions and I really need my calculations when driving above 100 kmph.

Rest is fine but still struggling with Mahindra to get going AMT even after 1.5 years of ownership.
Totally agree. The gear shifts from 1-3 are pathetic and can feel the lag and jerk. Also my co-passenger complained on the same. Clocked 12k on my tank, and this is my biggest concern till date.

Anyone upgraded their Tank to touch screen audio system? I see T10 already has this, but mine is T8 and not happy with after-markets systems out there.
Old 31st October 2017, 23:48   #1844
BHPian

In lot many reviews I read that TUV3oo comes on small tyres. Yes, the R15 look smaller as the rim radius is lower but then what should matter on road is the outer diameter; I mean behaviour of tyre should depend on circumference and not much on internal rim size. And if that is true; then our tank comes on larger wheels than even R17 of Creta. Have tried to get complete speca for both the tyre sizes and would expect fellow seniors to guide me on this comparo.

Just watched the TUV rescue video ..stuck. You may blame the weight for that but surely it was no fault of TUV
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20171031233635.png  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screenshot_20171031233537.png  

Last edited by theMAG : 1st November 2017 at 23:38. Reason: Back-back posts < 20 mins. Please EDIT moving forward.
Old 1st November 2017, 11:11   #1845
BHPian

Mahindra TUV300 Plus in all its glory.

Frankly, considering the butch stance of the TUV, I felt the short length looked rather odd. The extra length balances it out. The Plus variant certainly looks better to my eyes.

Tires are also larger, with 16 inch rims and 215/70 R16 size.

Source: Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fb_img_1509514680375.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fb_img_1509514683959.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fb_img_1509514686115.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fb_img_1509514688398.jpg  

Last edited by ts1506 : 1st November 2017 at 11:13.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed