Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2020, 22:27   #2746
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Update on my issue, the tank was towed to MASS on 19th May'20 and not yet fixed. I got fed up and visited MASS, they are waiting for a part. Surprise surprise another AMT part failure addition to rat biting, this time hydraulic pump failure. SA agreed it was covered under warranty and thankfully I have extended warranty.

This is 4th or 5th AMT part replacement of my TUV, I don't know, I already lost count and patience. No point in using this vehicle anymore. After a long conversation with my dad finalized below 3 options for replacement
XUV300 is the Best Buy, it offers the ruggedness and is spacious and powerful, don’t even think about WRV, after using the TUV for this long you won’t enjoy WRV at any cost as you will miss the airiness that TUV’s cabin offers. Check Brezza also that may also click. If you are ok with buying an entry model variant than XUV500 W5 or Scorpio S7 is also a suitable option.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:05   #2747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is 4th or 5th AMT part replacement of my TUV, I don't know, I already lost count and patience. No point in using this vehicle anymore. After a long conversation with my dad finalized below 3 options for replacement
  1. XUV 300 W8 - 13.58 lakhs quotation (Exchange quotation of 5.5 lakhs on my TUV)
  2. Honda WRV BS6 - May launch in June'20 as per SA
  3. Kia Seltos HTK D- 13.75 (online quotation)
The XUV 300 is quite spacious and tall too; I spotted one beside my TUV today at a traffic stop. You'll get that airiness that you get in the TUV. But if you're set on an automatic transmission, then please avoid the AMT in the XUV 300 (this is my personal suggestion). If an automatic is what you desire, then let it be a tried and tested torque converter gearbox. These gearboxes will last forever. The Harrier, Creta, Ecosport and the petrol Brezza are all the CSUVs I know of, that have a torque converter gearbox. Of these, the Brezza comes closest in internal space to the TUV...

Quote:
I also wanted to check used Jeep Compass, but family gave a big no on used vehicles. Ecosport and Venue are too small (TUV really spoils you with space), Nexon a big no as it looks just like indica on steroids (Personal opinion) and offcourse Tata brand.
The Compass is tiny in terms of interior space. Ecosport and Venue are indeed small. Nexon is an unusual Tata in being poor on shoulder-room in the 2nd row and it also doesn't offer much vertical clearance for one's head either.

I don't know if you have much of a field to choose from. Why not go for a used Fortuner AT 4x4? That'd be a proper upgrade for you from the TUV 300. Even though one that costs 10-15 lacs might be a decade old and run for even 2 lac Kms, they're good to run forever.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:51   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
XUV300 is the Best Buy, it offers the ruggedness and is spacious and powerful, don’t even think about WRV, after using the TUV for this long you won’t enjoy WRV at any cost as you will miss the airiness that TUV’s cabin offers. Check Brezza also that may also click. If you are ok with buying an entry model variant than XUV500 W5 or Scorpio S7 is also a suitable option.
Thank you for the suggestions. I loved the first half of XUV 300 but hated the second half and rear design. I loved the dashboard but hated the outdated knobs in interior, they belong to 80's. It is like love hate relationship with this vehicle. Brezza is only offered in petrol variant, so knocked off the list. XUV 500 and Scorpio are great vehicles, but will make a big hole in my expenses. I travel 62 kms everyday in city and it costs me 10k just for diesel in my TUV 300 which is already too high. Scorpio and XUV 500 will only cost me more than my existing vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The XUV 300 is quite spacious and tall too; You'll get that airiness that you get in the TUV. But if you're set on an automatic transmission, then please avoid the AMT in the XUV 300.

I don't know if you have much of a field to choose from. Why not go for a used Fortuner AT 4x4?
Thank you for the suggestions. Automatic is out question now, especially from the house of Mahindra. I am looking for MT BS6 Diesel variant only as of now. I have not did a TD of any vehicle till date. SA from Honda called this morning and informed TD vehicle of BS6 WRV is available now.

Fortuner is a dream vehicle, maybe for future when I can actually afford one. Right now a big no due to mileage constraints.

Right now my budget is strictly under 13 lakhs on-road and BS6 Diesel with atleast 20+ ARAI certified mileage. Should also be minimum 4* star rated in crash test. Open to used and new vehicles.
Old 27th May 2020, 15:53   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I loved the first half of XUV 300 but hated the second half and rear design. I loved the dashboard but hated the outdated knobs in interior, they belong to 80's. It is like love hate relationship with this vehicle. Brezza is only offered in petrol variant, so knocked off the list. XUV 500 and Scorpio are great vehicles, but will make a big hole in my expenses. I travel 62 kms everyday in city and it costs me 10k just for diesel in my TUV 300 which is already too high. Scorpio and XUV 500 will only cost me more than my existing vehicle.
Right now my budget is strictly under 13 lakhs on-road and BS6 Diesel with atleast 20+ ARAI certified mileage. Should also be minimum 4* star rated in crash test. Open to used and new vehicles.
Why not consider the new TUV, it has certain upgrades than the previous one. Under the 13 Lakh price bracket and after using the TUV, you won’t like the other cross overs at this price as they will not give the SUV like feel and airiness inside the cabin which TUV offers. Best Buy will be XUV300 as it will be a complete package with some hits and misses and is rated 5 star in crash test. You may also consider waiting for the new Thar unless you don’t mind using a 3 door vehicle and some rudimentary features as compared to other vehicles at that price.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 17:20   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestions. Automatic is out question now, especially from the house of Mahindra.
Are you getting some hefty discounts from Mahindra for the XUV300 ? I remember your post in another thread that you were offered dicsounts on new TUV manual for all the hardships you faced with AMT. In my opinion , unless you receive such a special treatment, you should ditch the brand itself for putting you through all that. My opinion is that you should go for a Hyundai or Toyota this time. May be even wait for Toyota's Brezza magic.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 27th May 2020 at 17:22.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 11:22   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Why not consider the new TUV. Best Buy will be XUV300. You may also consider waiting for the new Thar unless you don’t mind using a 3 door vehicle.
I gave it a big thought and discussed in deep with my family, we all came to agreement to ditch the brand all together. It has put us through enough already. We owned 800, Matiz, Verna, Scala and Creta till date, none of them gave us this much trouble. We think it is good to move on from M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Are you getting some hefty discounts from Mahindra for the XUV300 ? In my opinion , unless you receive such a special treatment, you should ditch the brand itself for putting you through all that. My opinion is that you should go for a Hyundai or Toyota this time. May be even wait for Toyota's Brezza magic.
Yes they offered 1.3 lakhs discount on new TUV 300 and 6 Lakhs resale value on my old vehicle, however, this was a joke of an offer. I went to nearest Mahindra dealer and got independent quotation from dealer. It was just 30k difference, when quoted the dealer offer they said and I quote "It is dealer discounts". They just took me for a spin. We have decided to ditch M&M offer.

Update on my issue: Hydraulic Power Pack is being replaced under warranty. The cost is 50,000/-. I was furious when the regional customer service manager called me and said "As there was rat biting on wiring, this resulted in earthing and caused to malfunction of power pack". Great packing skills Mahindra, kudos. Expose all your wiring to rats and then say "Under goodwill we are replacing for free". Let me enlighten you M&M, rat biting is universal problem and not specific to me. All cars are exposed to this, but none of them have this issue where rat biting resulted in failure of a 50k worth spare part.

This was the initial email I sent to Mahindra customer service copying all tom dick and harry's, and the response I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screen-shot-20200528-11.07.34-am.png  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-screen-shot-20200528-11.06.28-am.png  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 12:04   #2752
BHPian

As you have been having issues with AMT for Mahindra and you might want an automatic vehicle, go to other brands for their automatics. If you'd like to stick with Mahindra, go for the XUV Automatic which is far more reliable than the AMT boxes.

Avoid XUV300 since that also comes with an AMT. Once bitten twice shy.
Old 29th May 2020, 00:13   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
I gave it a big thought and discussed in deep with my family, we all came to agreement to ditch the brand all together. It has put us through enough already. We owned 800, Matiz, Verna, Scala and Creta till date, none of them gave us this much trouble. We think it is good to move on from M&M.
I can totally understand the pain you might have gone through because of the repeated failures and niggles with your TUV. If one has to repetitively visit MASS for one or the other issue, it’s definitely gonna be a strong reason to move away from the brand. But IMHO the repetitive issues is common is AMT variants of TUV. On the contrary I am on my 2nd Mahindra currently (bought a Thar 700 last year) and I have been using it for my daily drives as well the road trips. (Clocked 11k kms in 6months). My 1st Mahindra was 2013 made Xylo E4, we sold it off in 2018 after it clocked 2.5L kms on the ODO and that too after taking it to the length and breath of the country. Never faced any major niggles apart from regular repairs which any vehicle would want after such use. The first experience was satisfying which led me to buy a 2nd Mahindra inspite of having a Maruti, Honda and Renault in the garage.

Anyways these are all personal perceptions according to individual experiences and cannot be standardized.

I hope you come out of this issue soon and settle with a new car of your desired brand.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 16:23   #2754
BHPian

Update on my issue: I got a call today from MASS stating that repair is done and vehicle is ready. Went to collect the vehicle. The total damage came to 6,655/- plus initial 1,500/- (thank you rats). Attached the bill.

My experience at MASS, only few staff members were wearing masks continuously (I understand it is tough to wear them for 10-12 hours a day). Few people (maybe workers there or customers) were not wearing masks at all. No social distancing maintained at all.

Touch less delivery experience: No such thing. Same old paper work, signing papers, etc. Even the sanitization was charged around 800 bucks. Way to go Mahindra.

Now here comes Night M Shyamalan twist, they said due to rat biting, power pack was damaged. "Under goodwill" we are changing it for free under warranty. I had to wait 4-5 days for new kit, they fix it and confirm it is not power pack issue. It was still wiring issue. They check wiring again, repaired it, fixed old power pack and everything is working fine. Way to go Mahindra, standing ovation
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20200530_160902__01.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 17:52   #2755
BHPian

I can say one thing for sure, the TUV is a magnet for rodents. I have had my Fan Belt, Water Belt and Water belt pulley assembly changed because a cat decided to sleep in my car, and run out when I started the Truck. Total Damage - 6 K, before completion of Year 1 of the car.
The TUV is a magnet for rodents
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 21:01   #2756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even the sanitization was charged around 800 bucks. Way to go Mahindra.
The VW Polo thread also mentions this sanitization step, charged at 700 for the Polo. Looks like going to service centers for a while is going to be expensive.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 21:25   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I can say one thing for sure, the TUV is a magnet for rodents.
Yes agree with you 100%. My TUV was facing rodent biting issue from day one, rodents damaged rubber beeding under bonet. They peed and pooped all over engine bay. I went with 3M rodent repellent treatment which costed me 1,000/- bucks. They said it will work for 6 months only. Time to get another treatment.

This was the first time the rodents damaged wiring. The SA said the new wiring was around 60k plus labor charges So they just repaired existing wiring and did some soldering. Unfortunately I park my TUV on road from day 1, since last 3 years due to space constraints in my house.

My dad's Creta is also not spared by rodents. They hit the AC wiring, luckily it was a small issue and the ASS did not even charge a single buck, they did some soldering and handed over the vehicle within a day. The AC is working as new now. This is exceptional customer service from Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The VW Polo thread also mentions this sanitization step, charged at 700 for the Polo. Looks like going to service centers for a while is going to be expensive.
Yes, this is going to be new norm from service centers here on. I did not expect it to be so costly. They should make it mandatory but at better rates. I was shocked when they asked "Do you need sanitization"? I thought it was made mandatory, but looks like I was wrong. They invest money on machine and chemical, so I can understand why this service is not free, but again make it affordable please.

Thanks to Locusjag for kicking in some sense in to me, I have decided to stick with TUV as the issue was not related to AMT and was only rat biting issue. One more AMT related issue and poof goes TUV.

Got a new battery installed yesterday, Amaron Green costed 6,000/- bucks. After this I experienced that the cranking of vehicle was a bit delayed and not as fast as it used to crank previously. Anyone faced this issue after changing battery?

Time to change tires as well, will stick to whichever is the cheapest option available. Appollo or Ceat or MRF, within a budget of under 20k. Don't want to invest a lot as I already spent around 12k this month on repairs and new battery.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 23:44   #2758
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend's Nano had 4 petrol return pipes replaced in 4 seperate occassions within a span of 6 months , we think it is the same rat

Each time the part alone costs ~ 800.

This lockdown has given the more time to settle down and gnaw through things , the Kwid in our parking had parts of the intake manifold gnawed through, it's plastic.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 31st May 2020 at 23:46.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 07:43   #2759
BHPian

Hi.

Please can any one advise me as to how many kms (approximately) are the stock tyres on a TUV expected to last before they are due for replacement ?
Old 1st June 2020, 09:25   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
Hi.

Please can any one advise me as to how many kms (approximately) are the stock tyres on a TUV expected to last before they are due for replacement ?
Mine lasted for 55k kms. I am yet to get them changed as they have around 3-4k kms life left on them. I knew some people who changed them at 30k kms and few of them still going strong even after 60k kms. It totally depends on driving style I believe. Best guess is to check with trusted wheel alignment guys, they tend to give exact life left based on the tire grooves depth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks