Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:03   #2881
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Might be the starter motor, especially if the old owner used it extensively with ESS on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqca View Post
Thanks guys. Will get the starter motor checked and share an update.
Would recommend that you ask your service folks to check glowplugs along with the starter motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I did not see noticeable difference in fuel efficiency in Eco mode and it's not fun to drive in Eco mode.
I have never been a fan of ESS or ECO mode on the TUV as it ruins the driving experience for me.

Quick update on my car, over the last week I have obeserved that after driving for about 20-25 mintues, the power delivery is very iffy and I need to drive in 1st or 2nd gear most times Torque that usually used to start from 1650-1700 RPM is now delivered at 2300 RPM, which make the car extremely sluggish. I suspect that this is the famous vaccum modulators going kaput again. Plan to take the car to ASS this week and get them to run diagnostics.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:43   #2882
BHPian

With heavy heart, I would like to announce that I have finally sold my Tank today. As many of you are already aware of the reasons why I sold it. I always had love-hate relationship with my tank. The gentleman who purchased at a very fair price has handed over advance today, the vehicle will be handed over to him once I get the Bank & RTA NOC letter.

It will be missed sorely. I would like to thank you all for your support and advise provided during the last 3.5 years. I must say this forum helped me a lot.

As I am preparing all required documentation for handing over the tank, I also started thinking about my next vehicle. I am in no hurry, I can wait until the vaccine is available to general public. I don't mind Dec'20 offers if they are very tempting.

My requirements are below:
  • Diesel Engine
  • 6 airbags
  • ISOFIX Child Seats
  • Should be loaded with safety features like ABS/EBD/TC/BA/ESP/TCS etc.
  • Don't care about fancy gadgets like sunroof or wireless charger
  • Under 16 lakhs on-road

Shortlisted below:
  • Ecosport S
  • Seltos Mid Variant (Missing many safety features)
  • WRV (Missing many safety features)
  • Verna SX
  • Kicks (Not sure about the Turbo Petrol long-term reliability)

Any inputs are more than welcome.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:47   #2883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
the power delivery is very iffy and I need to drive in 1st or 2nd gear most times Torque that usually used to start from 1650-1700 RPM is now delivered at 2300 RPM, which make the car extremely sluggish.
Went to MASS and got this fixed today. The problem was a dirty MAF sensor, which was replaced. Apparently MAF sensors can be cleaned with petrol to ensure that they are working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
finally sold my Tank today
Good to know that you were offered a decent price for the car. An unreliable machine leads to alot of issues and in your case, there is enough proof to say that there was something wrong with the vehicle. Hope you have trouble free ownership for all cars that you purchase in the future.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:36   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem was a dirty MAF sensor, which was replaced.
Did you mean cleaned? Why did they have to replace a dirty MAF sensor. Also, MAF sensors do not really get dirty even if driven for years together.

I recently cleaned the MAF sensor after a gap of nearly 3 years almost and the solution (IPA) had no traces of any particles coming off MAF sensor.

Quote:
Apparently MAF sensors can be cleaned with petrol to ensure that they are working fine.
Please buy a can of Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and keep that handy. You can clean this yourself without much ado. Cleaning MAF sensor with Petrol or even Petrol based liquids is not recommended at all.

You will also get MAF sensor cleaners (CRC is popular) but now that you can directly order IPA online, its the easier way. You will also know that IPA is popular solution to clean even electronic components like circuit boards etc and MAF sensor is an electronic sensor.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th November 2020 at 13:38.
Old 5th November 2020, 14:14   #2885
BHPian

After repeated visits to tyre shop to get the alignment perfect, I have been questioning myself whether there is any inherent design issue with the TUV chasis. Eventually I came across this quote from Behram ji.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I'm helping you with one such question: "Is this vehicle pre-programmed not to go straight (pull to one side), no matter what I do or what anybody does"? ! You understand?
So, my TUV300, after repeated alignments fails to hold the line straight, it gradually pulls to one side (left , to be specific). Tyre shop guy says its alright but I couldn't help but keep noticing it and thinking why can't I get it straight, literally.

Any observations from fellow owners?
Old 5th November 2020, 14:43   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Tyre shop guy says its alright but I couldn't help but keep noticing it and thinking why can't I get it straight, literally.
I’m not at all doubting your claims, please don’t get me wrong, but may I please ask if you can post a copy of your wheel alignment report?

Has your vehicle met with any accidents/kerb hits/fender benders before? What tyres do you use & how old are they? Are they wearing evenly? How often do you fill air in them?

Does the area you drive in, have roads which are biased with a left downslope to aid in water draining during the wet season?

Finally, what’s the age of your vehicle, the current mileage & is it still under factory warranty?

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 5th November 2020 at 14:44.
Old 5th November 2020, 18:00   #2887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Did you mean cleaned? Why did they have to replace a dirty MAF sensor.
Unfortunately, I couldnt go with the car and see what is being done, thanks to Covid restrictions. What I was told was that the MAF sensor was very dirty and had to be replaced. They also checked the intercooler plumbing and there was no clogging. I am not sure how the MAF sensor can get dirty, but I know that it hasn't been cleaned/replaced in the last 5 years. I also know that there ever no error codes when a scan was done a month ago, before changing filters and oil.

Quote:
Please buy a can of Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and keep that handy.
I do have some handy with me.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:18   #2888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure how the MAF sensor can get dirty, but I know that it hasn't been cleaned/replaced in the last 5 years.
None of the ASCs I have known bother to clean MAF as they do not consider this as important and in most cases cleaning the sensor is not part of the troubleshooting activities and their testing is done mostly based on voltages and resistance values to verify its functioning. If the numbers are in the range as per the guide, they don't bother checking the MAF physically also. If they visually checked for a dirty MAF as a troubleshooting step to ascertain the cause for your issue, kudos to them because in generally most of them ignore the MAF to start with and check begins with filters, hoses and solenoid related to Turbo Intercooler.

However, the fact that you say that the folks at the ASC mentioned that it can be cleaned with Petrol (which is wrong) and yet they chose to replace the sensor baffled me. The MAF sensor certainly isn't a cheap part and costs at least 5k? I would not be happy to approve such replacement of sensors only because they are dirty when they can always be cleaned.

Quote:
I also know that there ever no error codes when a scan was done a month ago, before changing filters and oil.
Sure, and in case if there were any errors logged, you are someone who is very well versed with the TUV and would not have missed that Engine malfunction indicator even if it popped up briefly too.

Quote:
I do have some handy with me.
Glad you do. Next time, clean the MAF sensor and any other electronic sensors rather than relying on the ASC for this. Saves quite some bucks!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th November 2020 at 19:20.
Old 5th November 2020, 20:35   #2889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
None of the ASCs I have known bother to clean MAF as they do not consider this as important and in most cases cleaning the sensor is not part of the troubleshooting activities and their testing is done mostly based on voltages and resistance values to verify its functioning.
I had already cleaned/replaced all filters, hence they were eliminated. There were 2 things that the SA talked about after driving the car for 15 min - 1) MAF sensor issue 2) Intercooler plumbing. I hadn't thought about either of the above as I assumed this was once again the vaccum modulator and vaccum tubing acting up.

Quote:
The MAF sensor certainly isn't a cheap part and costs at least 5k? I would not be happy to approve such replacement of sensors only because they are dirty when they can always be cleaned.
True.

Quote:
would not have missed that Engine malfunction indicator even if it popped up briefly too.
Yep, have been keeping a close watch on the MID for CEL.

Quote:
Next time, clean the MAF sensor and any other electronic sensors rather than relying on the ASC for this
Agreed, will need to start doing this regularly.
Old 9th November 2020, 15:27   #2890
BHPian

Hi all. This is my first post on TeamBHP. Although i have been reading a lot on team BHP for as long as i can remember, never did i contribute. But now i had to say a big thank you to all of you on this thread, because without you guys i couldn't have bought my fist SUV - a 2016 TUV300 T6+. This is my 5th car (all pre-worshipped), my dad's 12th car, but a first of many sorts. Its our 1st SUV, 1st 7 seater, 1st Mahindra, and definitely our first car with such awesome street presence.

My car has done 37k on the odo and is running absolutely fine. (except for an annoying FR LH door rattle during idling).

I got the car on 4th Nov 2020 and visited Sireesh Auto, Jakkur on 7th for a general checkup and they quoted Rs 1200 just to check all liquid levels and do a test drive.
Im fairly well versed with basic checks, as my family has been buying and selling cars ever since i was a child (not as a business of course) and hence did not agree for the general checkup. Coincidentally the service engg. recognized my car from its license number and told he has been maintaining this car ever since it was bought. I had no idea that the previous owner was going to the same service center. I bought this car through a used car startup, which had a policy to not reveal the contact details of the previous owner once they has acquired the vehicle for sale.
Anyways, he went through the service history and assured me that no checkup was needed as the vehicle was serviced recently. (I had dug this out even before i bought the car through my contacts. Just felt good to hear it again !) After that, got 4 mudflaps fitted onto it and drove out happy and 700 bucks lighter.
I will be mostly using it for highway runs of 60km/day (bangalore to bidadi), but considering the NH work going on here, its more off-road than highway.

My initial impressions of the car after having it for 5 days are as below:
(forgive me that most of the observations are already mentioned before by previous owners)

Ill start with negatives first as they are few and far
1. Design of all doors are a disaster. I work in a manufacturing company which shouts "safety first"; and i just couldnt come to terms with the hazardous door frame design with aims directly at your forehead. Alas, we have to be responsible for our safety.
2. Surprising body roll. I hated it on day 1. I am loving it on day 5. But not everyone will be like me.
3. T6+ has weird inclusions and exclusions of features. It gets 2 airbags and ABS, but no fog lamps. Fog lamps are also for safety no? It gets voice message reminders for seatbelts and PKB on/off, but no welcome message. No foldable middle row seats. Maruti 800 had it in 1999 ! There are many more like this. But none too significant.

Coming to the positives
1. Torque, Torque, torque. I was grinning like anything when i test drove this thing. Specially after driving a Wagon R AMT for 6 months, i was confused if i was driving the car or other way round. The TUV just waits for your command. Just a small press from your toe thumb and off it goes.
2. Mahindra would have made more money if they has sold it per sqft basis. (specially in cities like Bangalore & Mumbai). I am a man who followed social distancing even before corona and the TUV is just perfect. The passenger seat is so far away that you may actually forget someone is there. My wife feels we might forget our kid in the rear seat if we dont look carefully.
3. Road presence. I dont have to say much about this after 5 years of this car being on the road. TUV is not as loud as the Scorpio, and not as plain as the Bolero. A perfect balance of butch and elegance.

Having said so much, i am planning to keep this car for at least 5 more years. Will be consulting all of you if need arises, and will try to update my experiences frequently.

As to why i chose this car is a story by itself and will be happy to write if such stories are allowed for pre owned cars.

Until then, thank you all for sparing so much time, writing and explaining technical stuff just to help others. This is a good form of social service too. Keep going !!
shrinz.vivek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 19:02   #2891
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations for acquiring this machine shrinz.vivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
1. Design of all doors are a disaster. I work in a manufacturing company which shouts "safety first"; and i just couldnt come to terms with the hazardous door frame design with aims directly at your forehead. Alas, we have to be responsible for our safety.
This was my concern before buying TUV3OO in late 2015 and when I actually booked I told my wife that we need to be careful with front doors during ingress. But after nearly 5 years of ownership, trust me, I have not faced any issue with it and my height is almost 6 feet. However, there is no harm in being little careful.

Last edited by airbus : 9th November 2020 at 19:04.
Old 10th November 2020, 19:01   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that you were offered a decent price for the car.
Thanks. The gentleman who purchased my TUV, transferred remaining amount today and took the vehicle. I handed over NOC papers and other documents. It all happened so fast, I forgot to take send off pictures. Goodbye my old friend, you will be missed.

On a different note, the body shop person called me today and said they cannot cover rusting under warranty as 3 years is completed. He said he trying to get it covered under "Goodwill". I told him 2 things
  1. The vehicle has extended warranty till May'22, so please do your homework properly.
  2. I don't need your "Goodwill" as the vehicle is already sold.

He was speechless and disconnected the call.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 21:25   #2893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I don't need your "Goodwill" as the vehicle is already sold.
Hope you did let the new owner know that M&M is ok to cover rusting under goodwill. Will take a load of their mind and make them a little happy.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 22:55   #2894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinz.vivek View Post
1. Torque, Torque, torque. I was grinning like anything when i test drove this thing. Specially after driving a Wagon R AMT for 6 months, i was confused if i was driving the car or other way round. The TUV just waits for your command. Just a small press from your toe thumb and off it goes.
Congratulations , wish you plenty of happy miles with the tank.

That engine is very happy to please the driver, please be careful to avoid driving it like a petrol vehicle or the clutch won't survive.
Old 11th November 2020, 15:13   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Congratulations , wish you plenty of happy miles with the tank.

That engine is very happy to please the driver, please be careful to avoid driving it like a petrol vehicle or the clutch won't survive.
Thank you so much. What exactly do you mean by not driving like a petrol? I do have experience of driving a Ritz diesel before. I drove 1.2lac kms without a clutch replacement and then sold the car with the clutch still without a shudder and no loss of pick up.
Since this is my first SUV; is there any particular technique to be followed for a Mahindra in specific?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks