Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2015, 10:01   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
It is a pity that almost all hatches have to do with a 1.2L commuter petrol engine. Cannot thank the Govt of India enough for it.
Not all 1.2L petrols are weak. There are some that are fairly competent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
I'm sure many people will be disappointed by the switch to an EPS over the hydraulic unit, but I'll gladly take it. It's very precise and all, but inside the city, it is VERY painful to park and make u- turns. I was amazed at how much of a difference a steering can make when I drove my friend's Pulse.
Well said. Within the city, I prefer the Sunny's light EPS to the Civic's heavy HPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
I am now left in a dilemma as to whether I should get the new figo or keep my 4 year old champ for a few more years.
Please hold on to your 4 year old champ. Whatever replacements you have listed are part of regular wear & tear.

How much ever the maintenance cost, holding onto your existing car is much, much cheaper than buying a new car. This is applicable if your car is fundamentally reliable (and not a lemon, like some Skoda Superbs we've seen).

Once your car is out of warranty though, it's best to find an expert independent mechanic. He could be 70% cheaper for major replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
By not having a good petrol engine Ford is losing out on a large chunk of customers. With a competent petrol engine Figo could have easily sustained 6k+ monthly sales.
In a market that is steadily moving to petrols, Ford can't afford to focus only on diesels. They have been following this trend since a while and need to change their approach. Ford's 1.5L petrol is a rather unimpressive motor, and this 1.2L petrol is lame. Shocking if you consider they've had the best 1.6L petrol in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
I don't remember if I have seen something similar on T-bhp before.
Whatever aspects of the car are identical, the review will be identical. Why re-invent the wheel? What matters most is review accuracy.

You'll see the same between the Bolt & Zest, Amaze & Brio, Duster & Terrano etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
So, the reader would like to have all the information in the same thread rather than getting redirected to a different link which takes him to a review of a car in a different segment.
Bingo!

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2015 at 10:08.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 14:47   #47
BHPian

This is one good looking hatch and interiors look plush as well. Thanks for sharing. I hope Ford will soon extend their auto box to Diesel variants as well.

It is clear that the manufacturers are eyeing this segment as is evident from the number of new launches we are seeing lately. It is good for the consumers and they now have a wide variety to choose from.
Old 10th November 2015, 17:06   #48
BHPian

Re: Engine - 1.5L Petrol Automatic

Superb review Rehaan. I have read, watched almost all the reviews about the new Figo that are available out there and no one has covered it so well in such a detailed manner. Goes on to show the amount of hard work you guys put in for each review.

Exhaustive details about the 1.5L Vi-DCT automatic variant is more than enough for anyone considering it, just to go ahead and book the car without even taking the test drive.

I found the seat height adjustment to have a limited range, lets say when compared to the baleno. Frontal visibility is limited due to this and this could pose a problem for drivers with height below 5.5.

I am pleasantly surprised with the suspension setup and I test drove on the same roads that I commute daily through either e2o or the i10 and I could immediately relate to the superior comfort levels it offers. And the ground clearance of 174MM was adequate to tackle some of the worst humps in Bangalore. All credit to Ford India for bringing out such a competent car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

While the early upshifts are great for fuel efficiency, they spawn another problem; downshift response times often face a noticeable lag. This is simply because the gearbox is usually in the highest possible gear, often requiring a double downshift in order to provide maximum acceleration. As you might know, dual-clutch gearboxes are designed to shift between odd and even gears, making the jump down 2 ratios take a lot longer (perceived as "gearbox lag" by the driver). Thankfully, at lower city speeds, the transmission can't climb very far up the ratios, so this issue is less prevalent in the city. At speeds of 40 km/h and below, closing a gap in traffic with a slight nudge of the accelerator pedal drops a gear very quickly & seamlessly. However, once you go beyond 50 km/h, you're more likely to encounter this double-shift induced lag.
Does the double downshift affects the fuel efficiency in any way or its negligible? There are many stretches on Bangalore's ORR, where the roads are relatively open for hundred metres or so where we can easily touch 60 - 70 KMPH and then drops to almost standstill due to the traffic jams that gets clogged up at each of the junctions. So this condition of double down shift will be frequently evident.
Old 10th November 2015, 21:55   #49
BHPian

The New Figo, for me is not impressive from the looks. It feels like a culmination of Grand i10 from front + Micra from side profile to look at. The earlier one has that executive look which has been relinquished

See this

Last edited by ampere : 14th January 2016 at 08:47. Reason: Fixed Image tags
Old 11th November 2015, 11:24   #50
BHPian

Wonderful review. Great attention to detail.

Quick question, does the new Figo have Lane Change Indicator function?
Old 11th November 2015, 11:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.palaria View Post

The New Figo, for me is not impressive from the looks. It feels like a culmination of Grand i10 from front + Micra from side profile to look at.
Couldn't possibly agree more with you rajesh. Neither of the 2 most important 2015 launches (FIGO & BALENO) are good looking. Seems like the designers have run out of ideas now

The worse thing that FORD possibly did to FIGO was to choose the same shade for FIGO, as advertised by Hyundai on their Grand I10 hatch.

PUNTO EVO is one design that really grows on you and eventually lets you fall in love with it.

Personally though, ELITE I20 is the best looking hatch in India today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

From what I understand Prodigy07, lane change indicator is considered a standard feature on modern cars and is always part of the design.

The last time I drove the Aspire, this was available and had 3 flashes. So I don't see any reason why this may be skipped on the FIGO.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th November 2015 at 11:59.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 17:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it is there. I had used it throughout my Figo 1.5 TDCi test drive.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 20:02   #53
BHPian

Thank you very much for this very detailed review.

Regards the height constraints of the rear headrest and suitability only to shorter passengers, it looks to me to be to be a correct design decision - to suit average height female passengers (and children) who may be occupying the rear seat more often than average height male passengers.
Old 11th November 2015, 21:01   #54
BHPian

As usual, great in-depth detailed review.

I test drove an Aspire AT today. Was happy with the drive. AT was very responsive.
However, was mildly shocked with the way the doors closed. The sound was like it never shut. Sounded very TINNY. Is this a result of cost cutting?

When I got back into my 2008 Altis AT, it felt so much more solid and well built.
Yes, its like comparing Apples and oranges.
Then, I guess I can never buy a new car at a marginally higher price than of selling my old car and still get the same quality. Do you get my point?
Old 12th November 2015, 00:21   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful review. Great attention to detail.

Yes, it does have lane change indicator; needless to add it is very convenient.

Quote:
I test drove an Aspire AT today. Was happy with the drive. AT was very responsive.
However, was mildly shocked with the way the doors closed. The sound was like it never shut. Sounded very TINNY. Is this a result of cost cutting?
I had the exact same feeling after TD of Aspire and Figo. I even raised the query here in another thread.

But to clarify on this point, I am driving the new Figo since 3 weeks and in my car I have not noticed the tinny sound of doors closing. Maybe it was the case of TD cars or something has been changed / improved, I don't know, but sure enough door closing sound is like a THUNK rather than TUNG.

Maybe other owners can chip in with their experience.

Last edited by teemus : 12th November 2015 at 00:31.
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 15:52   #56

This was the review I was waiting for ever since the new Figo hatch was launched! I had narrowed it down to the Baleno or the Ford and I have only thus far managed to test drive the Baleno 1.3 Alpha DDiS model and came away underwhelmed. While the touchscreen ICE and cabin niceties were alright some things Maruti/Nexa did were downright wrong. These might be minor annoyances but nevertheless;
1. Even on the top of the line trim, there is no finishing/skirting on the sides which conceals the protruding sheet/edge at the bottom of the car (which you center into your tyre jack when hoisting)
2. The Chrome applique on the boot on the top end trim almost renders the rear bumper moot, by protruding out. Any contact with a vehicle from the back with a larger ground clearance and the Baleno might be toast.

Given that they are reusing the K12 engines for the petrol versions, any fuel efficiency/power gains are going to be through the weight reduction, which makes me a tad worried about the structural integrity (brighter minds than me can reflect on this!)

All said and done, time for me to book a TD and keep my fingers crossed that Ford keeps pricing unchanged until Early Jan!

Once again, a top, top review which answered all my questions and then some that I had not even thought to ask!
Old 12th November 2015, 18:39   #57
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful and detailed review Rehaan, Thanks.

Saw the car at MPL Ford and disappointed to see the boot size (38 litre difference between old and new figo).

Heard that the "Base" variant is only on paper and not available for booking.

In my experience, the springy rubber leash attached with fuel cap does not last longer.

The exterior look, IP, chrome finish, EPS, etc., pushes me to say "New Figo is i20 from Ford".
Old 13th November 2015, 09:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Wonderful and detailed review Rehaan, Thanks.

Saw the car at MPL Ford and disappointed to see the boot size (38 litre difference between old and new figo).

Heard that the "Base" variant is only on paper and not available for booking.

In my experience, the springy rubber leash attached with fuel cap does not last longer.

The exterior look, IP, chrome finish, EPS, etc., pushes me to say "New Figo is i20 from Ford".
Yes agreed! and that may be the reason for many people opting for Baleno instead of Figo! Very disappointing indeed with the Hyundaic EPS and filmsy built. Eventhough the new Figo has more features, the ford lovers still admire the old gen's Build and the HPS!
Johnnny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 15:25   #59
BHPian

Having owned a Figo all these years, I felt really 'let down' reading this review (Actually felt bad on reading the Aspire review, and had given up on the Figo)

What we liked from the older Figo:
- Handling, the Hydraulic unit
- The build
- ICE

The above three were always winning over all its shortcomings. (Not just me, My wife still loves the Figo after having sold our Petrol Figo for the Polo diesel a couple of months ago)
It won our heart, over the last 5 years.

Even now, I miss the handling of the Figo, even on our new Polo. The polo also feels lighter. The speakers are not as good, more road noise filters in, etc etc. (All those little bits)

The New Figo, has done a U turn and gone with what it never had, and ditched its key strengths. I felt, at-least 30% of the general buying public would have bought the Figo based on team-bhp reviews and posts.
Now, the new one is taking on fierce competition, with no USP of its own. Giving all features is probably not the best selling point. Ask Tata.

A few years ago, an old man came and took a photo with me at the Melbourne F1 race, because I was wearing a Jaguar cap. He was wearing a Jaguar jacket, and so was his wife. He said, he had been driving Jaguars all his life. Sad, Ford will not have any such fans
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 16:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Saw the new Figo closely and if I were to talk only about her looks, I dont think I liked it. The Figo Aspire looks nice and proportionate but in case of its hatchback sibling, the proportions look pretty out of place, it desperately needs bigger wheels and the Aston Martin front grows on you pretty fast. There should have been more elements to the front. Personally, the Bolt looks much better than the Figo. Anyway, no point in debating as looks are subjective.

Excellent review by team-bhp as always !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks