Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2016, 11:48   #646
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojraja View Post
I am contemplating on buying a figo tdci. Today while going to office, I saw a figo zooming past us. I am sure the driver was revving a little hard. I saw black soot from the exhaust. I never noticed this from an i20 or a city. Is that normal? Pardon me for my ignorance.
It can happen to any car. The reason could be bad quality fuel or still running on very old lubricant or something like turbo hose leak. It has happened to be in the past (turbo hose issue) and can be easily rectified.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 12:40   #647
BHPian

Quote:
I am contemplating on buying a figo tdci. Today while going to office, I saw a figo zooming past us. I am sure the driver was revving a little hard. I saw black soot from the exhaust. I never noticed this from an i20 or a city. Is that normal? Pardon me for my ignorance.
I have seen black suit from almost all diesel cars when they accelerate. It is distinctly observed when the turbo has still not kicked in completely and the velocity of the exhaust is low. I think it is a normal phenomenon unless you see it being emitted continuously even during leisure cruising. To add to this when I drive on Highway I generally use this as a signal to know if the car ahead of me is going to accelerate.
nikhil.neon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 13:03   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When being revved, a little black soot is normal - especially if it is being revved after a period of time.
In fact, IIRC in the owners manual for the Fiesta Classic TDCi - Ford recommended revving the vehicle to 3K rpm every once in a while for 30 seconds to remove this build up.
What you need to be on the look out for is continuous black soot / white smoke under normal acceleration - which indicates a mechanical problem.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 15:46   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Couldn't agree more with you guys on the above aspects of Figo/Aspire!! I've tested my Figo TDCi's handling many times in situations like narrow chicanes, tight corners, sharp overtaking manoeuvres etc (driving style's spirited here, of course ) and never has the car been disappointing. It has almost always come out of such situations with flying colours.
P.S.: In fact, they are actually quite good, maybe even better than most cars in their segment IMO.
Having driven my Aspire TDCi through all sorts of roads (ghats, highways, potholed ones, village roads, and even no roads) I totally agree with you. The car handles very well and has never given up. It does feel lighter but never unsafe. It must be the most fun-to-drive car in the segment.
sudhirnam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 13:31   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

It looks like Ford have heard our discussions about handling, because they've put up the following video on YouTube to demonstrate the Aspire's handling and steering precision.

Although the car demonstrated is the Aspire, the Figo would be pretty much the same, given that its about 18-20 kg lighter.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2016, 00:37   #651
BHPian

Hello Everyone! How's the Ford Figo in terms of reliability, maintenance cost and after sales service? I've always owned Maruti Suzuki Cars(Currently have the 1.6 S Cross) and now I'm also considering the Ford Figo after hearing great reviews about the Diesel Variant. I'm just a little skeptical about its reliability and maintenance costs as compared to typical Maruti cars. Would be great if you guys can let me know about it. Also, do let me know about some good Ford dealers in Mumbai area if anyone has any idea about it
nimit3105 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 15:48   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
... How's the Ford Figo in terms of reliability, maintenance cost and after sales service? I've always owned Maruti Suzuki Cars(Currently have the 1.6 S Cross) and now I'm also considering the Ford Figo after hearing great reviews about the Diesel Variant. I'm just a little skeptical about its reliability and maintenance costs as compared to typical Maruti cars. Would be great if you guys can let me know about it....
My Figo TDCi will be completing a year in a month-and-a-half from now(33000KM on the odometer so far). Apart from the parts/consumables replaced as part of the regular service schedule, I haven't replaced anything in the car so far due to part-failure(Exceptions: I replace Air Filter, cost-> Rs.201 +tax, every 10000KM and AC Filter, cost-> Rs.364+tax, every 20000KM ahead of schedule out of personal choice!). Thus, the car has been quite reliable so far!
There was one cause of concern though -> rattling sound from front RHS door. It was fixed free of cost by the service center though.
One item featuring regularly in the maintenance-expense lists is engine oil and that costs Rs.1102+tax for the Figo diesel (3.85ltrs mineral oil, replaced every 10000KM).
I hope the above points give some indication about the reliability & maintenance costs of the Figo.

As far as after sales service is concerned, I would rate Ford slightly below Maruti (Ford does not have consistency in this aspect IMO, some dealers are OK while some aren't good, whereas Maruti does strive to maintain consistency in the dealership quality across India. This is my personal opinion, of course)

P.S.:My brother has the Swift diesel. I keep comparing the maintenance expenses of the Figo with the Swift regularly and I have found that the Figo is NOTexpensive to maintain vis-a-vis the Swift
espraveen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 15:45   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimit3105 View Post
Hello Everyone! How's the Ford Figo in terms of reliability, maintenance cost and after sales service? I'm just a little skeptical about its reliability and maintenance costs as compared to typical Maruti cars. Would be great if you guys can let me know about it.
Quote:
P.S.:My brother has the Swift diesel. I keep comparing the maintenance expenses of the Figo with the Swift regularly and I have found that the Figo is NOTexpensive to maintain vis-a-vis the Swift
In terms of maintenance costs, I think Ford is quite comparable to Maruti esp. for Figo twins. They advertise the maintenance costs for each service interval at the service center. If you search through the forum here, you can find the estimates till about 1Lakh KM's. And they seem reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
My Figo TDCi will be completing a year in a month-and-a-half from now(33000KM on the odometer so far).
Yours, it seems, is the most driven Figo (or Aspire) on this forum perhaps.

My Figo has completed 11 months and is somewhere around 15K Km's.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 17:22   #654
BHPian

Here is the Autocar India trackday 2016 video. Figo TDCi fared good and is well appreciated by Narain Karthikeyan.

sudhirnam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 22:28   #655
BHPian

I went to a ford showroom today to see figo. I was surprised to find that there's no all door lock/unlock button available for the driver. It is a basic central locking option available in all hyundai's, maruti's, honda's etc. Did I miss something or has Ford missed this option?
Old 21st September 2016, 23:02   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
I went to a ford showroom today to see figo. I was surprised to find that there's no all door lock/unlock button available for the driver. It is a basic central locking option available in all hyundai's, maruti's, honda's etc. Did I miss something or has Ford missed this option?
All doors automatically gets locked / unlocked with the drivers door. This is a standard feature in my titanium model. Not sure of the base trims.
nikhil.neon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 23:28   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised to find that there's no all door lock/unlock button available for the driver. Did I miss something or has Ford missed this option?
The all door lock/unlock feature is present, but is very unintuitive because there's no dedicated button in the Figo/Aspire.

Instead, you push the driver's door lever towards the outside (i.e. away from you) to lock all the doors. On doors other than the driver's door, doing the same results in only that door being locked.
Name:  Figo Aspire Door Locks.gif
Views: 3800
Size:  20.1 KB

Bear in mind that even if all doors are (or a single door is) locked in such a way, the doors cannot be opened only from the outside. Anyone inside can just pull the door handle to unlock and open their door. I've not seen it documented, but it is claimed to be a safety feature in case of accidents.

If you have children, then you'll need to ensure the child locks are set to ensure they don't accidentally/wilfully open the door. There's no child lock for the front passenger door, but then again, children are rightfully not supposed to be in that seat.

Interestingly enough, the absence of a door lock/unlock button varies by country for the Figo. The Figo (known as the Ka/Ka+) in Brazil has a dedicated lock/unlock button on the center console below the volume knob (see below image). I have no idea why Ford felt that removing this from the Indian Figo/Aspire was warranted or worth it!
Ford Figo : Official Review-1249235958127.jpg

Last edited by arunphilip : 21st September 2016 at 23:32.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 23:59   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The all door lock/unlock feature is present, but is very unintuitive because there's no dedicated button in the Figo/Aspire.

Instead, you push the driver's door lever towards the outside (i.e. away from you) to lock all the doors. On doors other than the driver's door, doing the same results in only that door being locked

The same mechanism is followed in the scorpio as well. It is not intuitive and I had problems figuring out the way to lock my door the first time I sat in the scorpio. But as you also mentioned, this is listed as a safety measure.
skoda0505 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:59   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, as Arun pointed out, there driver side lock when pushed outwards causes all doors to lock but you don't have to do it manually each time though. The doors automatically get locked as soon as you reach 20kmph.

It's true that the mechanism is very easy to open, even for a child but child locks are present especially for that. When we are riding with my daughter only then she is seated in her child seat and the rear LH door is always with child lock (where the child seat is placed). When we ride with my nephew too, then both the rear doors have child locks.

On a different note:

My Figo has completed exactly 11 months today and I have to get the extended warranty. Has anyone else got it here? What exactly are the quotes for 2nd, 3rd, 4th year extended warranty? I will be calling up the dealer in a day or two.

Are the warranty prices same all over India (like they normally should) or varies with dealer?
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:12   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
My Figo has completed exactly 11 months today and I have to get the extended warranty. Has anyone else got it here? What exactly are the quotes for 2nd, 3rd, 4th year extended warranty? I will be calling up the dealer in a day or two.
About a year ago, GTO had shared the following price list for the 3rd, 4th and 5th year extended warranties for the Aspire (should be similar for the Figo). I'm not sure if these prices are still the same today, or if they've been revised in the past year, best to check with your dealer, or Ford customer care at fordcust@indiaassistance.in.
Ford Figo : Official Review-extended-warranty.png.jpg

Although you can purchase the extended warranty in the first two years, its better to do so earlier, since I'm told the prices increase in the second year. So yes, its good you're getting it done before you complete 1 year.

Edit: Check Ford's site for the details of the terms of EW. Roadside Assistance is added at a nominal incremental cost.

Last edited by arunphilip : 22nd September 2016 at 09:13.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed