Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:00   #676
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

I should have checked before posting. The euro spec suspension mods may not work in India if the GC is lowered significantly, but hey, they could still offer some of the other changes mentioned in the article.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by keroo1099 : 23rd September 2016 at 18:10.
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:03   #677
BHPian

Looking at the specifications and features of new Ford KA+ I feel ford can offer some of those updates of the export models over here. Since The KA+ is exported from the same plant, im assuming they are either making the New/Extra parts here or importing them for assembly, and since they already reduced the price of the figo/Aspire massively they can easily add the features and increase the price slightly higher since the figo was never overpriced to begin with, just a tad bit boring with respect to interiors/features and that 1.2 petrol

Assuming Ford has not compromised on structural integrity of the body, the few updates they can easily offer are the apparent updated instrument cluster and central console /music system.
The current setup look too basic and outdated, dampens the interiors. A simple pictorial comparison between Our new figo on the left and the exported KA+ on the right.
Ford Figo : Official Review-fordfigo01.jpgFord Figo : Official Review-new-ford-ka.jpg

I understand that a lowered and stiffened suspension would not matter much to the average buyer, but this suspension and the 1.5 diesel could really attract a few old satisfied figo owners like me

A more peppier and more fuel efficient petrol engine will certainly bring in huge number of customers in this ever increasing petrol focused segment but if tuning/redesigning an engine will take too long, atleast in the meantime to increase its value and before the figo cross the point of no return ,features like 15 inch wheels, all black/beige interiors, touch screen info and DRL at the minimum are a must now since the competition already offers this and ford is loosing a lot of value/feature seeking customers.

Regards

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 23rd September 2016 at 21:04.
rambo1o1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 23:40   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
A more peppier and more fuel efficient petrol engine will certainly bring in huge number of customers in this ever increasing petrol focused segment but if tuning/redesigning an engine will take too long, atleast in the meantime to increase its value and before the figo cross the point of no return ,features like 15 inch wheels, all black/beige interiors, touch screen info and DRL at the minimum are a must now since the competition already offers this and ford is loosing a lot of value/feature seeking customers.
Abandoning 1.6L petrol has taken the excitement away and Ford currently has no NA petrol engine on offer here that can take on Japs/Korean petrols. The only feasible way thus remains is to offer ecoboost as an option. Great if DCT can be connected to it, but doubtful about Ford India's willingness to consider that. Maruti is soon bringing in its boosterjet engine for Baleno which will make life for Figo (and few others) even more difficult. Events have clearly shown that what all Figo offers right now, is in itself hardly sufficient for its survival.
rsm97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 23:49   #679
BHPian

Talking of features, Ford decided to skip something as simple and as inexpensive as adjustable headrests on the rear on the hatchback which they provide in the export models and the Aspire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Looking at the specifications and features of new Ford KA+ I feel ford can offer some of those updates of the export models over here.
I agree about the interior bits.
I spent an entire day with Aspire diesel recently. At the end of the day (after appreciating all its positives which outweigh the negatives by a big margin, at least for an enthusiast), the main thing that I felt that the car lacked was the 'feel good' factor in the interior. While it is not a deal breaker for me since I value the safety kit and the diesel engine's performance more, it would be a turn off for most mainstream buyers. I got that feel good factor immediately in the Tata Zest the first time I sat in it.

They need not have gone too far ahead. The European version's cabin looks so much better with slight changes.

The poor choice of color tones for the interiors are primary contributors I feel.
The cheap looking aluminium finish on the hatchback makes it look outdated. The piano black finish on the Euro one makes it look so much better.

Similarly, the tone of beige used in Aspire is not premium. Cars from Hyundai's stable, Tata Zest, Ford's own Endeavour etc. use lighter shades of beige which look much more premium. Also, they have gone overboard with the extent to which they have used beige.

Another turn off with the interior is the el-cheapo speedometer console (something the driver looks at very frequently). Apart form the white-blue color combination, everything is a total turn off with that speedometer. I mean, even the inexpensive Alto K10 gets a much better looking speedo!

The choice of infotainment system is another area where they messed up big time. While it felt great when Ecosport was launched in 2013, the infotainment systems in most budget cars back then sucked and OEM touchscreen was very rare.
While the Sync system on Titanium+ is acceptable, the one on the Titanium is rubbish with such a small screen surrounded by a sea of unneeded buttons.
Ideally, the Titanium and Titanium+ should have got a touchscreen (or at least the one from the Euro spec car) and the screen from the sync (without the sync feature) should have been given in Trend.

The last big annoyance was the door pads flexing when the windows roll up. Though it is not a big issue for me personally, it gives a cheap feeling to the mainstream buyer and again ruins that 'feel good' factor.

All these are things that could have been solved easily by Ford without much effort, but would have had a big impact on the way the interiors felt.

Coming to the build, the car I drove was an August 2015 manufactured one. Compared to that, the feel and sound when closing the door seem to have been improved by Ford in the recent batches. The newer car that I saw in a showroom no longer had the horrible tinny sound that the Aug 2015 car had when the boot was closed. The doors too felt a little better to close.

Hope they fix all these easy to fix short comings that will make these great cars much more Aspirational.

No offence intended to owners.

PS: When a relative was asking my opinion about her car purchase, I recommended her to take a TD of Aspire diesel even though she was looking for petrol. The first thing she asked me was, does the car have touchscreen, does it have reversing camera and sensors etc.
She accepted to look at the car since she liked the fact that the car comes with 6 airbags, but after TDs, she came back unimpressed due to the interior (she had already experienced the interiors of Ameo and Zest) and the anaemic petrol engine. She liked the diesel, but wasn't willing to buy it because of the low running and the uncertainty of diesel's future.

PPS: Coming to the 'drive' factor though, I felt that the twins have been thrashed more than they deserve. While the old Figo and Fiesta were easily a few levels above (I'd say best in class, with the 1.6S being the ultimate), the new ones are not bad as they are made out to be. The steering weighed up acceptably at higher speeds and gave some amount of feedback, but it had some slack in the centre and felt artificial (like my G27 gaming wheel). Still there are much worse wheels in the segment. The car definitely does not understeer badly like the reviews say. The old Figo's underpinning (slightly modified) still shows its capability. The suspension is softer and the car rolls a bit, but still it is definitely above average.

Last edited by theredliner : 24th September 2016 at 00:17.
theredliner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 09:35   #680
BHPian

Adding the ecoboost engine will do wonders with respect to performance, taking into account the low weight of the car. It will make a worthy sibling for the tdci diesel. With that engine, bigger and fatter wheels, touch screen infotainment (for the geeky ones) and all that safety kit, it could surely give a good fight to the boosterjet baleno.

But I am sure ford is not going to launch it due to the fact that the engine is imported (costly) and would not make a financial sense.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 10:42   #681
BHPian

From the past days, I am trying to get quote for Extended Warranty from Talera Ford and they haven't been able to provide me that. In fact, looks like they are dilly-dallying.

Contacted the Ford Customer care and they say, they don't have the quotes you will have to contact the dealer.

Wonder what is so difficult in providing the quote?
Old 26th September 2016, 21:58   #682
BHPian

Search for a performance hatch has made me land here. Decided to go for titanium figo tcdi white for a hatch back for primary use in town.
Initially i had booked the trend variant for its vfm proposition. However the lack of abs and height adjustable driver seats made me choose titanium. Sincere thanks to fellow bhpians Karan and Thoma for their valuable advice to go for the titanium variant.

Life with my hippo was going well when we wanted a third car in the family. This was meant to be used for city runs and school drops for kids. I had always yearned for s cross 1.6 but the exorbitant pricing made me choose the 1.3 DDIS. However the wheelspins and pinned back feel were lacking in daily drives.

I really wanted a performance diesel. Was mighty impressed by the 1.5 tdci. It may not be big or comfortable as d s cross but it sure can kick some ... as far as performance is concerned.

Has any user remapped the figo tcdi twins ? Would love to have more torque for those mad wheelspins.
sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 23:19   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Has any user remapped the figo tcdi twins ? Would love to have more torque for those mad wheelspins.
Good choice Sandy.

This below post might be of interest to you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4064493
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 23:42   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However the wheelspins and pinned back feel were lacking in daily drives.

I really wanted a performance diesel. Was mighty impressed by the 1.5 tdci. It may not be big or comfortable as d s cross but it sure can kick some ... as far as performance is concerned.
Congrats sandy

I guess the Titanium was available off the shelf in white color with Kairali Ford. Please do PM/post me the final price break up. Also do let me know how satisfying is the stock 1.5 over the 1.3 DDiS once you chip in some numbers on the odo and of course before you remap it. And may be the overall comfort levels over our potholes and stop-and-go traffic.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 09:24   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
From the past days, I am trying to get quote for Extended Warranty from Talera Ford and they haven't been able to provide me that. In fact, looks like they are dilly-dallying.

Contacted the Ford Customer care and they say, they don't have the quotes you will have to contact the dealer.

Wonder what is so difficult in providing the quote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
About a year ago, GTO had shared the following price list for the 3rd, 4th and 5th year extended warranties for the Aspire (should be similar for the Figo). I'm not sure if these prices are still the same today, or if they've been revised in the past year, best to check with your dealer, or Ford customer care at fordcust@indiaassistance.in.
After a lot of follow ups the SA gave me a quote on phone and it is Rs. 30,136/- for 3rd, 4th and 5th year warranty. It is on higher side than what were shared by GTO long back. Can someone verify the quote please?
Old 28th September 2016, 20:23   #686
BHPian

Quote:

My dyno chart in 2nd gear, comparing stock vs P2 mode. 3rd gear reports even higher values (~270NM), because the Figo gets a torque limiter in 1st & 2nd gears.

It gets a bit smokey in P2 though, which is why I mostly stick to P1 these days.
A good remap will absolutely transform the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo : Official Review-torque-2nd.png  

d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 14:43   #687
BHPian

Ford Ka has been reviewed as first drive by UK auto journalists and this is what they say.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...-vct-85-review

Quote:
Ford left little to chance when updating the Ka+’s running gear to suit European expectations on ride and handling, fitting not just shorter suspension springs and uprated dampers to Indian-spec cars but also firmer suspension bushings, new steering gear, stiffer boron steel structural cross-members, a stiffer front subframe, European-specification tyres, fatter anti-roll bars up front, better cabin sealing, more sound-deadening insulation and more besides. And what results is commendable: a more rounded and refined drive than you’ll find in most cut-price hatchbacks with just a little bit of sporting keenness and poise about it.

The car’s controls are consistently weighted and feel pleasant to use, from weighty steering through a similarly weighted clutch pedal to a positive and precise gear lever. On wet German roads the grip level of the 15in wheels and Continental tyres was very respectable. The Ka+’s body control was surprisingly good, its steering slick and direct and its ride quiet and supple, with an edge of rubbery tautness that smacks of careful tuning and close dynamic attention to detail.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/ka...ka-2016-review

Quote:
So the European Ka+ gets a 47 per cent stiffer front anti-roll bar, new springs and dampers, Fiesta-spec hydraulic engine mounts, more sound deadening, different door seals, new rear suspension bushes, aero tweaks for less turbulence, a stiffer front sub frame, faster steering, revised suspension geometry – you get the picture, it’s a thorough job.

And it shows on the move, as the Ka+ rides and handles with the quality we’ve come to expect from small Fords. Admittedly, we drove it on smooth German roads but it rounded the harsh edges off the bumps we did find with finesse, while both the steering and chassis setup make it a sweet drive.

There aren’t many cars at this price that boast the compliant ride and refinement of the Ka+, and the lack of road and wind noise is impressive. The Dacia Sandero or Vauxhall Viva don’t match up. Extra soundproofing has cut down engine noise, too.

So basically, Figo has undergone around good ~50% changes overall to make it Europe market compliant. Since Fiesta doesn't seem to make entry in our market, wish we also get these changes in next mid life upgrade of Figo.
varunswnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2016, 23:10   #688
BHPian

Went to a Ford Showroom in chennai here and did a TD of the diesel figo. The car is indeed very punchy and fun to drive on a straight line.

As I revved the engine hard in the first gear during the TD, the SA told me to keep the speed under 60 km/hr. He said one person had suffered a fatal crash during a TD at high speeds and passed away recently. As a result, Ford has instructed dealers to keep TDs under 60 km/hr.

I asked him whether the Airbags deployed during the crash and he said "Yes Sir, But still he died". Maybe he is not the greatest Salesman Ford has ever hired, but that tells us about the build quality of the latest Figo & Aspire.

Last edited by eyesice : 1st October 2016 at 23:11.
Old 1st October 2016, 23:18   #689
BHPian

This seems to be a tactic by Dealer to restrict customers from putting test cars to harsh abuse. In fact, if thats indeed the case, then they should program Mykey to restrict speeds, another good way to showcase a cool feature. As you rightly said he is not great Salesman who can convince customers to buy Ford and that is pity for a good product.
varunswnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:31   #690
BHPian

Ford Figo Oxford White

At last the Ford Figo is here
Bought it for in city use
Figo Titanium TCDi in Oxford White
Ford Figo : Official Review-figotbhp18.jpg

Loved the car for its simplicity, ride and power
Upgraded tyres to 185 65 R14 Michelin XM2 which improved the ride and reduced road noise
Ford Figo : Official Review-figotbhp122.jpg
Ford Figo : Official Review-figotbhp124.jpg

- No turbo lag
- Exemplary ride for such a small car
- Features in Titanium variant
- good brakes

Dislikes
- Feather light steering
- Doors shut with a "clang" than the ford thud
- 14 inch wheels and suspension suited for that
- Not a great handler
- Ground clearance - bottoms out occasionally in Kochi potholes