Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2018, 21:01   #1216
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

My friends 9 month old Ford Figo with 13,000 kms on the oddomter has started to make a loud grinding noise that seems to be coming from the speedometer/dashboard area. It starts around the 60 kmph mark. Any idea what this could be, cannot find anything on this thread?

He has already tried switching of AC and fan to eliminate those usual suspects.
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:01   #1217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
My friends 9 month old Ford Figo with 13,000 kms on the oddomter has started to make a loud grinding noise that seems to be coming from the speedometer/dashboard area. It starts around the 60 kmph mark. Any idea what this could be, cannot find anything on this thread?

He has already tried switching of AC and fan to eliminate those usual suspects.
I request you to kindly note the RPM at which the noise is heard. Also check in other gears at the same rpm if it persists. My 8 month old (oct 2017 manufactured) Aspire had a similar problem and it was rectified in the service centre. I used to hear a vibrating/abnormal sound during acceleration and engine breaking between rpm 1000-1500.
_nitink_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:19   #1218
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what this could be, cannot find anything on this thread?
Could be the alignment of the bonnet, the two rubber corks at the underside of the bonnet should be aligned properly.

Then there could be number plate which could be the culprit.

If the vibrations are felt through the steering, it could be a broken engine mount.

I could clarify more if I could get more specifics, like does it happen on acceleration or braking, at which gear, rpm?
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:29   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you record the sounds of it and post it here?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 09:53   #1220
BHPian

I am sharing the video clip, sorry for the vertical video. In this recording the grinding noise starts at 100kph mark. However now this noise is staring at 60 kph.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:03   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Could be the alignment of the bonnet, the two rubber corks at the underside of the bonnet should be aligned properly.

Then there could be number plate which could be the culprit.

If the vibrations are felt through the steering, it could be a broken engine mount.

I could clarify more if I could get more specifics, like does it happen on acceleration or braking, at which gear, rpm?

Just to update it happens in all gears above 70 km/hr, no relation to RPM, starts only when the speedo meter crossed 70km/hr.

Bonnet alignment is fine,

Vibration not felt through the steering. steering wheel is absolutely fine

Number plate is fine
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:08   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Just to update it happens in all gears above 70 km/hr, no relation to RPM, starts only when the speedo meter crossed 70km/hr.

Number plate is fine
Does the vibration stop when you touch any part of the instrument cluster?
Does it happen even when the engine is revved-up at standstill?

You can isolate the vibration this way.
Since there is no vibration felt on the steering wheel would suggest that its not drive-train related however it cannot be ruled out.

Possibly a latch or something has come lose.

In our Figo we had a similar sound but it felt like it was coming from the front speaker. However it went away on its own.
Old 3rd September 2018, 13:59   #1223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My friends 9 month old Ford Figo with 13,000 kms on the oddomter has started to make a loud grinding noise that seems to be coming from the speedometer/dashboard area. It starts around the 60 kmph mark.
Quote:
In this recording the grinding noise starts at 100kph mark. However now this noise is staring at 60 kph.
Quote:
The fact that it is independent of RPM and dependent of speed indicates that it is not related to the engine, but related to only the drivetrain (gearbox and beyond). The fact that it comes from the speedometer area makes me wonder if its a problem with the instrument cluster.

Given that the car is just 9 months old - and therefore under manufacturer warranty - has your friend taken the car to Ford for diagnosis?

If he hasn't, is it because he wants to first get a handle on the problem before approaching Ford? Are speed warnings disabled?

The sound is a bit like a buzzing sound, which could either be mechanical or electrical.

If he and you are willing to get a little hands on, you can try pulling the fuse that powers the instrument cluster. The fuse box is behind the glove box on the passenger side (the glove box can be flapped down by flexing two stops present at the top left/top right of the glove box when it is opened).

This schematic shows that the 7.5A fuse #8 is what powers the instrument cluster. Circled in yellow.
Ford Figo : Official Review-inked20180903_li.jpg
And, in reality this is what it would look like:
Ford Figo : Official Review-inkedfuse-box-passenger-compartment_li.jpg
So, start the car, and with it idling, pull out this fuse, and drive again, seeing if the sound persists. That'll tell you if its a problem of electric origin from the instrument cluster. Then you can put the fuse back and see if the problem changes.

Since you can't judge speeds as easily now, you'll have to go by ear, or use a GPS app on your phone to give your speed.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:19   #1224
BHPian

To me it sounds plasticky and electronic. I guess it's not from engine or drivetrain. Go by arunphillip's advice I would say. May be the speedometer here is at fault which starts making noise after reaching certain speeds.
Old 6th September 2018, 17:16   #1225
BHPian

Quote:

Number plate is fine
Just checking in to see if any update was found for the console noise?
Anything that can help existing owners?
Old 6th September 2018, 23:08   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Just checking in to see if any update was found for the console noise?
Anything that can help existing owners?
The car is currently outside of Bengaluru and there is no access to a Ford A.S.S. there. The owner plans to get it to Bangalore in a couple of weeks and have it checked, does not want to take a chance tinkering with other mechanics as it is under warranty.
Old 7th September 2018, 10:12   #1227
BHPian

I have been looking for options to replace my rear wiper, the ones Ford offers appears ridiculously expensive - please advise options available.
Old 10th September 2018, 12:56   #1228
BHPian

Recently was at the service center to get the front suspension inspected of our Figo 1.5 TDCi.
During that came to know of a PCM Software update available which was installed.
After that there isn't any noticeable change the engine feel other than the fact that range seems to be increased. When we reached the ASS, the DTE showed a range of 598KMs.
After the update the DTE showed 656KMs.

Anyone got the update installed? Feel any difference?
Old 10th September 2018, 13:18   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
During that came to know of a PCM Software update available which was installed.
After that there isn't any noticeable change the engine feel other than the fact that range seems to be increased. When we reached the ASS, the DTE showed a range of 598KMs.
After the update the DTE showed 656KMs.

Anyone got the update installed? Feel any difference?
Did you request for it or was it done proactively by the A.S.S?
They did explain why there are installing it now?
Old 10th September 2018, 14:20   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Did you request for it or was it done proactively by the A.S.S?
They did explain why there are installing it now?
We were facing problems with the bluetooth connection to the HU.
So asked them if there was any software update available. They found the PCM update and installed it. When I asked about what the update is for the technician said "Saar mileage, power, pickup, engine life better saar..."
arijitkanrar is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks