Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2016, 22:03   #706
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Question to Figo owners

But post 90kmph in 5th gear the engine feels coarse, strained and sounds being pushed beyond its comfortable limits.

Will the engine open up a bit more after running in ?
Can a remap help to modify the nature of the engine ?
I own a Figo tdci, currently past 2000 kms. Your observation is spot on, I also feel that the "sweet spot" for this engine is fifth gear, 90 kmph, turning at 2K rpm. Beyond 2000 rpm, it does sound hoarse. It still pulls well even after 90, but as you mentioned, the engine sounds strained.

However, I have noticed a slight improvement in the post 90 kmph roughness in the past 200 kms or so. Maybe it will get better still after the first service.
Old 8th October 2016, 22:15   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Question to Figo owners

I am a person who have driven only multijet diesels, swift, dzire and the s cross. Figo TCDi has almost no turbo lag and has good petrol like acceleration which I like a lot. But post 90kmph in 5th gear the engine feels coarse, strained and sounds being pushed beyond its comfortable limits. The engine strain makes me limit the speeds to below 90kmph on open roads. May be I am used to the free revving multijets which is a generation ahead. I know TCDi has a small turbo and proportionately small turbo kick, but that makes me less confident in overtakes at 60-80kmph.

I own a 1st Gen Figo for the past 5 years. My observation also same. I drive 90 - 100 (or at times 110) at highways and it makes me uncomfortable to go beyond because of the engine strain.

I have added Dieseltronic two years back. This mainly improved the acceleration and peppiness of engine. I like the additional power / burst i get during the overtake with in City speeds, quick start from signal stops. But at highway beyond 90, i see very marginal change, I still drive the 90 - 110 KM range at highways.
Old 8th October 2016, 22:29   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Question to Figo owners..... post 90kmph in 5th gear the engine feels coarse, strained and sounds being pushed beyond its comfortable limits. The engine strain makes me limit the speeds to below 90kmph on open roads.........makes me less confident in overtakes at 60-80kmph.

I can narrate my observations(I have the new Figo TDCi) to the points here:

>''.. engine feels coarse'' -> To an extent, the Figo TDCi engine sounds a little coarser than the DDiS engines, but the levels are not bothersome!

>''...strained and sounds being pushed beyond its comfortable limits.... '' - > Not at all for speeds of over 90kmph. I have experienced this only when the Figo crosses 120kmph (tested on wide highways, of course!). I've found the Figo to be a comfortable cruiser on the highway!

>''.. makes me less confident in overtakes at 60-80kmph'' - > Overtaking at these speeds is in fact fairly easy for the Figo TDCi (unless the vehicle being overtaken has a crazy person at the wheel )

I guess your car's sedate/coarse behaviour is probably because it's still in the run-in period!

Last edited by espraveen : 8th October 2016 at 22:32.
espraveen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 22:46   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question to Figo owners

I am a person who have driven only multijet diesels, swift, dzire and the s cross. Figo TCDi has almost no turbo lag and has good petrol like acceleration which I like a lot. But post 90kmph in 5th gear the engine feels coarse, strained and sounds being pushed beyond its comfortable limits. The engine strain makes me limit the speeds to below 90kmph on open roads. May be I am used to the free revving multijets which is a generation ahead. I know TCDi has a small turbo and proportionately small turbo kick, but that makes me less confident in overtakes at 60-80kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
I own a Figo tdci, currently past 2000 kms. Your observation is spot on, I also feel that the "sweet spot" for this engine is fifth gear, 90 kmph, turning at 2K rpm. Beyond 2000 rpm, it does sound hoarse. It still pulls well even after 90, but as you mentioned, the engine sounds strained.

However, I have noticed a slight improvement in the post 90 kmph roughness in the past 200 kms or so. Maybe it will get better still after the first service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I own a 1st Gen Figo for the past 5 years. My observation also same. I drive 90 - 100 (or at times 110) at highways and it makes me uncomfortable to go beyond because of the engine strain.

I have added Dieseltronic two years back. This mainly improved the acceleration and peppiness of engine. I like the additional power / burst i get during the overtake with in City speeds, quick start from signal stops. But at highway beyond 90, i see very marginal change, I still drive the 90 - 110 KM range at highways.
The Figo TDCi engine, though 1.5 litres in capacity, is basically a SOHC (Single OverHead Cam) engine with 8 valves in total, whereas the Fiat multijet though smaller in size (1.248 litres), it has a DOHC (Double OverHead Cam) with 16 valves. So the Fiat, which has two inlet and two exhaust valves per cylinder (compared to the single inlet & exhaust valve per cylinder of TDCi) breathes easily at higher rpms. That is probably trhe reason why the TDCi mill might feel strained beyond specific rpm. I have driven my brother-in-law's Vista D90 and even at 120 kmph, it feels very effortless and eager to pull beyond that.
AutoIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 18:00   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
........ That is probably the reason why the TDCi mill might feel strained beyond specific rpm. I have driven my brother-in-law's Vista D90 and even at 120 kmph, it feels very effortless and eager to pull beyond that
I think you are spot on about 1.5 TDCi's SOHC configuration being the reason for its lesser refinement levels at higher RPMs!

I was wondering what the threshold limit(w.r.t. RPM) could be, beyond which refinement levels and performance take a hit. My analysis is it could be around the 2700-2800RPM mark (My new Figo TDCi has just crossed the 35000KM mark on the odometer and I have driven it in the 120-130kmph/2500-2800RPM range few times on wide highways. The car was in fact quite comfortable till those speeds/RPMs )
espraveen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 20:59   #711
BHPian

It might be true that the engine feel coarse beyond 110kmph in 5th gear. I would not venture to take her in those speeds though. Figo is a small car, and the best habitat is city. Even though the clutch travel is longer than fiat and hyundai diesels the less number of gear changes is a real boon, unless you are in stop and go traffic. It picks up well from near halt in second gear and downshifting to first brings a sharp jerk when the vehicle surges forward. You can dart through gaps in city traffic like a petrol car.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 12:01   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
I think you are spot on about 1.5 TDCi's SOHC configuration being the reason for its lesser refinement levels at higher RPMs!

I was wondering what the threshold limit(w.r.t. RPM) could be, beyond which refinement levels and performance take a hit. My analysis is it could be around the 2700-2800RPM mark (My new Figo TDCi has just crossed the 35000KM mark on the odometer and I have driven it in the 120-130kmph/2500-2800RPM range few times on wide highways. The car was in fact quite comfortable till those speeds/RPMs )
I never felt the engine strained at triple digit speeds. I drive at around 2200 - 2500 rpm. Even after 110 the car is eager to pull and does so effortlessly for an overtaking maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
After a lot of follow ups the SA gave me a quote on phone and it is Rs. 30,136/- for 3rd, 4th and 5th year warranty. It is on higher side than what were shared by GTO long back. Can someone verify the quote please?
Finally got a call from Talera Ford by someone who takes care of the extended warranty stuff. He was well behaved and gave detailed and satisfactory answers along with quotes. Here are the details that he has provided for my 2015 Figo, which only has 2 year warranty right now, as the rates for 3rd year and onwards were not available when I got the car.

Extended Warranty only:
36 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 7,400/-
48 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 14,900/-
60 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 28,100/-

Extended Warranty with RSA:
36 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 8,500/-
48 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 16,889/-
60 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 30,136/-

These are quotes if I opt for Extended Warranty before completing one year (22nd October); if I get it after one year the price shoots up by around 5K.

e.g. 60 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 33,800/- (only Ext. Warranty)

I am planning to buy it this week.

What do you guys suggest, is it better to go for 5 year plan? I am planning to keep the car for that duration at least, possibly more.

Last edited by teemus : 10th October 2016 at 12:05. Reason: quote added
teemus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 18:55   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoop View Post
Awesome review with attention to details. Rater 5 stars.

I own a 2011 Diesel ZXI with 92k on odo. It still is going strong and I love the way it takes curves. Though the new figo might not impress me on the handling department, I am still thinking if I should go for it for what it has under the hood.

The Sales guys at Kairali Ford in Trivandrum have offered 2.5L for my old figo if I am to exchange it for the new one. Considering the fact that I still have 2.35Lacs loan left on the car,(I bought it for the lowest possible downpayment of 90k INR back in 2011 ) and the service cost estimates I got from the ford SA at Kairali Ford, I am now left in a dilemma as to whether I should get the new figo or keep my 4 year old champ for a few more years.

The future service estimates given by the SA are below:

1L km ~ 15k (regular service 7k + brake disc,brake pads -8k)
1.10 ~ 7k (Normal service)
1.20 ~ 35k (timing chain etc etc etc change)
4 shocks & assoc parts ~ 25k (only if needed)

My current figo uses to clock 20k kms in a year on an average so far. So if I keep her for a few more years, the service cost alone would be around 80-90k INR in the next 1.5 years.
im in the same boat. I have a TDCI ford exi with 45000kms on the odo, and its remapped. Though Ive driven the new one..i cant put my finger on the specific differences. Old one - handling feels better.

Pure engine power - with a remap it's close to 100bhp. its running a BMC filter..so dont see a huge reason to upgrade.

Both are SOHC..so not sure.What did you finally decide?
Old 13th October 2016, 20:14   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankito View Post
im in the same boat. I have a TDCI ford exi with 45000kms on the odo, and its remapped. Though Ive driven the new one..i cant put my finger on the specific differences. Old one - handling feels better.

Pure engine power - with a remap it's close to 100bhp. its running a BMC filter..so dont see a huge reason to upgrade.

Both are SOHC..so not sure.What did you finally decide?
I think you should read this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...rade-swap.html
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 23:06   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
...e.g. 60 months / 1 Lakh Km's - Rs. 33,800/- (only Ext. Warranty)

I am planning to buy it this week.

What do you guys suggest, is it better to go for 5 year plan?...
Honestly, I don't know whether I should suggest or not. For being on the safe side, it's a 'yes' always about extended warranty! I remember my Swift's 4 years extended warranty (2+2) costs me just Rs. 5000/- in 2008 and I covered that cost when my glow plugs failed. But at 33K, it's too much money & am not sure you'll ever get to recover that amount since these engines are well built and 1L kms is a piece of cake, provided you care for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankito View Post
...i cant put my finger on the specific differences. Old one - handling feels better.

Pure engine power - with a remap it's close to 100bhp. its running a BMC filter..so dont see a huge reason to upgrade...
Have you TDed the new Figo? I have a hunch you may be happier with the current one since you almost have the same power output after the re-map. Plus, what do you actually gain after spending good money? These cars belong to the very same segment and I don't even see any benefit, save for the new car feel.

If you could jot down a comparo about both the cars, that would be great! There has been a lot of discussion on how the new Figo may not be a match for the old in certain aspects & vice versa.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th October 2016 at 23:08.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 01:03   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Honestly, I don't know whether I should suggest or not. For being on the safe side, it's a 'yes' always about extended warranty! I remember my Swift's 4 years extended warranty (2+2) costs me just Rs. 5000/- in 2008 and I covered that cost when my glow plugs failed. But at 33K, it's too much money & am not sure you'll ever get to recover that amount since these engines are well built and 1L kms is a piece of cake, provided you care for your car.

Have you TDed the new Figo? I have a hunch you may be happier with the current one since you almost have the same power output after the re-map. Plus, what do you actually gain after spending good money? These cars belong to the very same segment and I don't even see any benefit, save for the new car feel.

If you could jot down a comparo about both the cars, that would be great! There has been a lot of discussion on how the new Figo may not be a match for the old in certain aspects & vice versa.

Will do one of these days . One thing that stands out is that the new one has an intercooler . Now during the day that might actually make a difference since an intercooler is supposed to get colder air into the main engine after it comes from the turbo . My car feels much better at night, the natural intercooler

As for clutch action - will have to comment once I go for an extended TD . I'm renting out a ford aspire tdci for a highway drive / so that should give me a sense
vankito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 10:52   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the input! It's true, 30K is too much of money and based on the experience I have had in the first year, the car is quite well built and no-nonsense *touchwood *. Still, in case of any eventuality I am inclined towards extended warranty. Better safe than sorry they say!

As it is, this car is newly launched and has just completed 1 year since launch so there is no past data to decide otherwise now, is there?

Let's see, I am planning to buy it tomorrow as the bump in price after completing one year is huge 5K.

On a different note: My Bagheera (my 2.5 year old daughter loves The Jungle Book ) is expected to be close to 17K Km's on ODO at the end of 1st year. Right now it's 16.3K and a Mumbai trip is planned for the weekend! That's 17K Km's of driving with a wide grin I must add!

Speaking of warranty, isn't it more convenient to get the Total Maintenance Plan which I can see on Ford website. Here are the details.

Quote:
Through Total Maintenance Plan the customer gets total peace of mind and fixed price for the next 3 years. TMP improves the re-sale value of the car as the vehicle is maintained by authorised Ford dealerships and the plan is transferable. The car can also be serviced at any Ford outlet across the country. All repairs are carried out with only Ford genuine parts.
What is covered
  • Periodic Maintenance Services as per owner’s manual
  • Repairs arising out of electrical or mechanical failures
  • Wear and Tear Parts
  • Labour for all of the above jobs
What is not covered
  • Accident Repairs, Tyres and Fuel
Benefits to customers
  • Total Peace of Mind
  • Provides Non-stop coverage
  • One upfront payment only and Inflation protection from rising costs of parts and labour
  • Protection from manufacturing and material defects
  • Car can be repaired at any Ford outlet across the country
  • Unlimited number of claims ,No excesses to pay & No unexpected expenses or surprises
  • Can be transferred when vehicle is sold, better resale value of the car
Whereas here are the details of the Extended Warranty

Quote:
Extended Warranty offers almost similar coverages like Factory Warranty and protects against unexpected expenses related to Mechanical and Electrical failures under normal use and maintenance subject to terms and conditions.
You can extend the warranty by one year, two years or three years for a nominal amount, anytime before your vehicle crosses the Factory warranty period i.e. 2 years or 100,000 kms (whichever is earlier).
What is covered?
  • All Mechanical & Electrical Failures
  • Labour for the above repairs
What is not covered?
  • Periodic Maintenance Services
  • Wear and Tear Parts
  • Accident repairs, Tyres and Fuel
Benefits to customers
  • Protection from risk of manufacturing and material defects
  • One up front payment only, Inflation protection from rising costs of parts and labour
  • Warranty can be transferred when vehicle is sold, better resale value
  • Genuine Ford Parts and Service
  • No out of pocket expenses
  • Non-Stop Coverage
The 2 points in Total Maintenance Plan which are bold seems lucrative. Wonder if it is anyway similar to Gold AMC by Tata Motors.

Has anyone got this?

Source: http://www.india.ford.com/ford-servi...al-maintenance & http://www.india.ford.com/ford-servi...ended-warranty

Last edited by SDP : 14th October 2016 at 13:58. Reason: Merging as requested
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 13:44   #718
BHPian

Ford Figo (Ka+) gets nominated for 2017 World Car Awards under the Urban Car category along with Suzuki Baleno and Ignis, the tragedy is still Ford is unable to market it well in India!

Read more here
KreativeGeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 15:09   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
Ford Figo (Ka+) gets nominated for 2017 World Car Awards under the Urban Car category along with Suzuki Baleno and Ignis, the tragedy is still Ford is unable to market it well in India!

Read more here
There's no point in bringing in the successes of ka+ into consideration. The ka+ is a heavily reworked car.

No denying Figo is a competent product, but even Ford themselves would not advertise the achievements of ka+ in India.
Old 15th October 2016, 16:49   #720

So finally the monsoons seem to have come to an end. Driving in the monsoons the last few months the car collected a lot of grim. So a detailing session was of the order. Called up impressions,kolkata. They sent a guy over to my place this morning.
It took him around 3 hours to get the job done. As a bonus he even polished the interiors even though i didn't ask for it. Overall I think he did a good job. Have done 5370 kms till now. Will do a detailed review at 10000 km mark. Till then here are some pics of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo : Official Review-img_20161015_142324.jpg  

Ford Figo : Official Review-img_20161015_142410.jpg  

Ford Figo : Official Review-img_20161015_142402.jpg  

Ford Figo : Official Review-img_20161015_142549.jpg  

@dr_figo is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed