Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:12   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
If the ergonomics are cribbed about, it is understandable, but the orientation of the key slot, seriously?
I find the orientation of key slot in Linea/Punto to be better as it is front facing compared to other cars where you have to look for the slot during night. You do not have to bend and look for key slot during night time.

How can this be a bother to any one is beyond my imagination, i found it to be a boon for the 7 years i kept my Linea.
coolboy007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:50   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Place the key in the awkwardly positioned ignition slot...
To be fair, this keyhole position, awkward or not, is also in Mitsubishi Pajero SFX 2.8. I have not tried it out, but looks convenient as the keyhole is (hopefully) visible.

Interior of Pajero 2.8 SFX - Keyhole at similar position:

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-pajero-009.jpg

More so because, the key is my Figo is huge and I fear that if I accidently lift my leg, it will hit the key causing it to break or something.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd December 2015 at 15:13. Reason: Uploading image as attachment and inserting it.
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I find the orientation of key slot in Linea/Punto to be better as it is front facing compared to other cars where you have to look for the slot during night. You do not have to bend and look for key slot during night time.

How can this be a bother to any one is beyond my imagination, i found it to be a boon for the 7 years i kept my Linea.
It is just a matter of adjusting to the new position, something like the LHD vs RHD orientation of wiper and light stalks that we get in some cars in India (though not exactly the same). I was used to the RHD orientation until my Spark, and got used to it pretty quickly. There are several other companies that have a different orientation than perpendicular to the steering column. Mercedes for example has it on the dash (which can foul with the knee - 3:40 onwards).

Old 3rd December 2015, 17:37   #139
BHPian

It's a convenience feature. Fiat calls it driver facing keyhole. And I like it, at least I don't have to move my head around to locate the keyholes. Anyway, to each his own.

By the way, an update guys: My stinger is a just a few hours away reaching Mohali. The first in Chandigarh area, I guess the first North of Delhi. Can't wait!!!
firstguri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:23   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
By the way, an update guys: My stinger is a just a few hours away reaching Mohali. The first in Chandigarh area, I guess the first North of Delhi. Can't wait!!!

Congrats! When are you taking delivery? Please start an ownership thread ASAP for the benefit of the others :P
Old 3rd December 2015, 20:19   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Congrats! When are you taking delivery? Please start an ownership thread ASAP for the benefit of the others :P
Thanks. Well, ideally I should be taking delivery tomorrow but the wedding session is on and there's a function in the family, so tomorrow I can't take delivery. Then Saturday and my parent's superstitions so I again can't take delivery on Saturday. Then we're left with Sunday. So the answer to your question is Sunday. Regarding starting a thread, I assure you that I'll share my experience as soon as possible. But I want to drive around for around three weeks so that I can share the complete picture and not just initial impressions. That wait is as killing for me as it is for you!
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:15   #142
BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
. That wait is as killing for me as it is for you!

You bet! I'm trying to recall yesterdays TD and I can say for sure that I've never experienced the kind of confidence that the Abarth gave me in a car of this segment before. Was doing good speeds when it was drizzling and I did not feel like letting go of the A pedal. The only thing that held me back were the Alnacs. Silly wheel spins in 1st and they just fail to put the power down in the wet. Tyre upgrade is a must!
Old 4th December 2015, 08:24   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Points to be noted at the dealership was - not much information or knowledge about the product or keen to make a sale as yet. The general philosophy or mindset that those who know the brand and car's will pick up fiat any day - I agree to a certain degree but still lets make an attempt to add more sales with a better knowledge and attitude towards the customer.
Exactly. I dropped in to Hyson FIAT with one of my friend last day. As I took my MJD from there itself one of the sales guy who knows me came. He asked me whether MJD is still there and what help I need. I said I want to sell MJD and go for turbo petrol in near future would love to get a look around T-Jet Linea and Abarth Punto. He said T-jet Linea is not available in showroom right now but they can arrange a test drive for it when I'm comfortable. Then he called another sales guy and said he will explain about the Abarth Punto. We sat down in car and he started explaining. And I heard one of the most disappointing comment from a FIAT sales guy, and it summed up why they just delivered 3 cars so far. His comment was "Sir Abarth Punto engine is equipped with Tubro and this is a Turbo T-jet engine which is different from Linea's T-jet engine", I asked him "are you sure", and he said "yes we had training from company and this is what company taught us". I came home and the first thing I did was message the Hyson FB page on the necessity of having sales guys with some knowledge about the car. And I ended up message just like what you said, I may go blindly and pick Abarth or Linea without hearing any explanations from sales guys. But if you keep people like this in the showroom you are just killing interest of potential buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Congratulations Suraj,
Finally some response to Abarth by BHPens.
Since you test drove Polo TSI & Abarth Punto back to back, what is your take on ergonomics part. This has been discussed at length here & other Fiat threads, many find it odd/weird.
I personally have not found any issue in last three and a half years & 53K kms of driving.
I'm 5'8 and did 62k KM on my MJD and I have to say I'm yet to find a comfortable driving position. At the same time with GT TSI, friend's GT TDI I'm much more comfortable. But on the other side one of my friend regularly use my MJD who is 5'11 find no issues with MJD's driving position. So it totally depends on one person to person.

OTR for Abarth Punto in Kochi is 11.28 Lakhs and Linea T-jet is 11.21 Lakhs, which is the most confusing part for me. Linea is equipped with better features and comes 7K less OTR, but it lacks 42 horses less. I can easily sort this with a Wolf Moto remap. Yes, I understand suspension, Turbo and many components are different but still the maths are not justifying the price tag :( Hope FIAT will pull in an upgraded version with better features when they launch new colours in coming months.
Old 4th December 2015, 11:38   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
We sat down in car and he started explaining. And I heard one of the most disappointing comment from a FIAT sales guy, and it summed up why they just delivered 3 cars so far. His comment was "Sir Abarth Punto engine is equipped with Tubro and this is a Turbo T-jet engine which is different from Linea's T-jet engine", I asked him "are you sure", and he said "yes we had training from company and this is what company taught us". I came home and the first thing I did was message the Hyson FB page on the necessity of having sales guys with some knowledge about the car. And I ended up message just like what you said, I may go blindly and pick Abarth or Linea without hearing any explanations from sales guys. But if you keep people like this in the showroom you are just killing interest of potential buyers.
Well actually if you look at the engine specs, though its the same Tjet engine on Linea however it is quiet different on the whole as Fiat have changed quiet a few important internal components to boost the power to 145 BHP - bigger turbo Charger,Exhaust Manifold, Intake Camshaft,Exhaust Camshaft;Intake Air Fuel Module;Pressure Sensor After the Intercooler;Boost Pressure and Temperature Sensor on Intake Manifold;Fuel Rail;Injectors

Last edited by invincible7 : 4th December 2015 at 12:03.
invincible7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 15:56   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Well actually if you look at the engine specs, though its the same Tjet engine on Linea however it is quiet different on the whole as Fiat have changed quiet a few important internal components to boost the power to 145 BHP - bigger turbo Charger,Exhaust Manifold, Intake Camshaft,Exhaust Camshaft;Intake Air Fuel Module;Pressure Sensor After the Intercooler;Boost Pressure and Temperature Sensor on Intake Manifold;Fuel Rail;Injectors
If you have misunderstood my post I'm sorry. His point was Linea T-jet engine is not a turbo engine where Abarth Punto T-jet engine is a turbo engine. I don't think FIAT will train them to say the same. :(
Old 6th December 2015, 10:37   #146
BHPian

So took delivery of the first Abarth Punto in North India. Delivery was a typical Fiat experience, no fanfare but they did manage to get an Abarth icing done on a cake. That was nice of them.

Quick first impressions- First and second gear are mental. Third is more linear especially if you start pulling from under 2k revs. But still you get pushed back into the lovely seats (they're actually comfortable, even the rear ones) in every gear at some point or the other. Quick gear changes results in your head going forward and back, and yes, that feels great too. Dashboard plastics are really good, but the stalks (lights and wipers) are crap. Gearbox is utter crap! At times I am not even sure if it's slotted into a gear!! Hoping it becomes smoother with use. Only saving grace is that gear ratios seem to be well sorted. We also have a first batch Linea (2009) and it's gearbox is miles ahead of Abarth, even when the car was new. I don't know what Fiat has done in the meantime! Anyway, moving on, forget everything, if you drive the car you'll love it coz it's great to drive. I just want to keep on going and going. What a thrill! Normal people aren't used to this kind of power, at least I'm not. And I'm still getting used to it. Have to be careful at traffic lights coz it just shoots and it just pulls and pulls and pulls and then you have to brake coz you're already at the next traffic lights. What a pity! Suspension is a bit hard. Steering feels a little dead in center but weighs up beautifully the moment you turn it a little bit. And thank God it's not overly assisted. You feel every undulation through the steering wheel. You do feel the road, so I'm really happy with the steering too.

Endnote: What a great car to drive. It's fun and mighty pleasurable. Plus all the looks and questions from people. Nobody knows about Abarth, so sad! My wife keeps waiting while I merrily explain Abarth to people .

Please give me some time to compile a thread. Lots of trips planned, including driving to Goa for new years. That should give me enough experience to share the complete picture.

Here are some pics of my new love:
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20151204_174543491_hdr.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_5079.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_5080.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_5081.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_5088.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20151204_194529.jpg  

Last edited by firstguri : 6th December 2015 at 10:40.
firstguri is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 15:50   #147
BHPian

Quote:
So took delivery of the first Abarth Punto in North India.
Congrats !! That's second in the forum I belive.

Meanwhile just found a news online that Fiat testing C635 DDCT gearbox to replace the existing one, which I thought it's C530 where the article says C549. No clue how legit this is.

Being optimistic and considering the fact that the grey shade was not lauched, we have some chance that FIAT may introduce another variant for Abarth Punto. Hope it really happens, and they rework on the car to add some features and better decales or at-least remove the existing ones
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 17:57   #148
BHPian

10 years back I used to drive the Palio 1.6gtx - 105 horses at that time was exceptional and I still remember the startled look on faces of other drivers driving much larger and expensive cars when I would give it a rip.
The punto abarth seems to have the same intent -
Just hope that Fiat have improved after sales service---in those days they didn't give feedback forms as customers would have asked for negative scales on the ratings charts!!
Old 6th December 2015, 18:53   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So took delivery of the first Abarth Punto in North India.

Quick first impressions- First and second gear are mental. Third is more linear especially if you start pulling from under 2k revs.
Congrats firstguri on your acquisition and it looks smashing

I got to witness the performance potential of this Scorpion today on a long drive to nearby hills. I was in my GT TDi and an Abarth Evo joined me from a toll entry road. There was no real drag between us, but almost instinctively we both just floored it since the roads opened up.

I hit 3 digit speeds very quickly but this Scorpion was always ahead through the acceleration by under a car's length. I am quite sure this gap would have increased if we had some open road and lesser traffic.

Had not seen any hatch in the recent times that could out run my GT. But with Abarth & Figo TDCi around, we 1.6 GT owners have been humbled.
Vik0728 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 13:11   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I will be surprised if you get a call. calling them yourself is better IMO.
Well guess what I received a call from Kashyup Fiat on Saturday afternoon for the test drive inquiry I had sent on the website. The lady was courteous and responded very professionally on my queries. They invited me to the showroom for the Abarth test drive as they are currently not undertaking test drives of the vehicle at the person's given address. I couldn't possibly go for the test drive as the nearest Kashyup fiat was good 15 kms away from my place, maybe some other day and I was even assured that once they start entertaining home test drives for Abarth, she would hook me up for the same. Pretty impressed I must say as things look good at Fiat's end.
invincible7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks