Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 17:11   #226
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Sorry, should have been 0-100 kmph not 0-60 which is mph...Duh. And repeated hard launches is a sure fire way to cook your clutch and other rotating parts in the long run.

Mod please edit if possible.
Old 31st December 2015, 17:36   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have seen couple of 0-100 videos and the launch was always at near redline. 2000 rpm launch for diesel for 0-100 timing is definitely a news to me. Also, what I have observed is many reviews get the 0-100 timing different by a great margin for diesel cars. Ideal gear shifts (power torque curve where it meets each other) is important for good 0-100 timing. But I seriously doubt if launch at 2000 rpm is enough for a good timing. Happy to get corrected
Cheers!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Firstly, I never said that one launches at peak torque delivery. One does so, keeping in mind wheelspin so typically a few revs higher but never ever ever at the redline

Go back and watch some more of your videos of cars that have launch control (computer knows best eh) notice that for each car, launches will be made around the peak torque delivery rpm (you can google the specs on each car) sometimes 500-1000 revs higher than that so as to manage wheelspin. Give me a City Diesel and IF it doesn't let me rev higher than 2500 (3000 would be ideal for most diesels) in 1st gear with the clutch pushed in (because if I want a perfect launch I won't be doing it from neutral) then with some progressive releasing of the clutch, I can get you a solid 0-100 time.

You may have watched your videos but I have actually been there and done that mate
No one will launch a car in redline unless they want to screw the engine.

Secondly all Polo, Vento, Rapid have 2500 rpm launch limiter, which is provided as a safety mechanism so that people dont damage their gearboxes and shafts. However, this does screw up the 0-100 timing to an extent.
When you remap a car, you could ask your tuner to remove the Launch limiter.

For my Rapid these were the following figures tested in Vbox

Stock Rapid - 10.4 sec
Remapped without Launch limiter removal - 9.1 sec
Remapped with Launch limiter removed - 8.7 sec

For Diesels, the usual peak Torque will be between 2500-3500 rpm depending on the car and tune.

I guess the GT has its peak Torque around the 3.8-4k mark (owners correct me if wrong), with the launch limiter, this will have an impact in 0-100 timings.

But, will it beat the Abarth ? Nope ! I dont think so ! However it has a chance to be close with the Figo TDCI
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 09:05   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Folks,

Slightly off topic, is it only me who felt that the Abarth was deliberately slowed down towards the end for the other car to catch up. There was a wide enough initial lead and a very good margin during the run. May be just me and wanted to check if anyone else felt the same.

Cheers,
pdma
That's because of the shitty gearbox on the Abarth. Besides, even if it was a good manual, it would have been no match for the dual clutch's shift times. Shifts matter a LOT when it comes to a drag race and that is probably the only thing that the Polo had going for itself in this race.
Old 1st January 2016, 13:02   #229
BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That's because of the shitty gearbox on the Abarth. Besides, even if it was a good manual, it would have been no match for the dual clutch's shift times. Shifts matter a LOT when it comes to a drag race and that is probably the only thing that the Polo had going for itself in this race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Slightly off topic, is it only me who felt that the Abarth was deliberately slowed down towards the end for the other car to catch up.

Exactly what I was wondering! There's no way the TSI can catch up, that too at speeds close to 100kph. Even if the gearbox is bad, it should make at difference at lower speeds only, cause the TSI cannot match the sheer pulling power of the Abarth. If the Abarth managed to get the lead in the beginning, the gap between the two cars is only going to increase.

Last edited by Suraj25 : 1st January 2016 at 13:22.
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 14:25   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove Abarth Punto in thrissur. Display car was black and it looks beautiful. White looks tacky with those red stickers.

Coming to the drive. Just one word superb!! A drivers delight. Power is so addictive and there's enough power in low, mid and top range. Mid range is mad and top end is also good. Punto just propels forward after the turbo kicks in and revvs all the way till 6500 rpm. Engine is silent and no sporty tone for such a performance machine. 2nd gear maxes out at 90 KMPH (or else 0-100 would be a second more faster) In 3rd gear you can go to very good 3 digit speeds.

Ride and Handling: With reduced gc and stiffer springs Fiat has managed to better the good dynamics of Punto in abarth. Abarth was rock solid at very high speeds. I had to literally look at the speedo to check the speeds. I couldn't test the car on corners or bad roads, since I drove on NH 47 (thrissur-cochin highway)

As we all know no car is perfect. So coming to negatives.

Gearshift: It feels very rubbery and tight at idle. But shifts get much better on the move. But it's horrible when compared to slick gearshifts of Maruti and Hyundai. Hope it gets better as you drive!!
Clutch: I found the clutch little weird, takes little time to get used to.Clutch travel is long and it rebounds quickly on release. But I got used to it as I drove the car for couple of kms.

Finally @ 11.28 lakhs on road in Kerala. This is the perfect hot hatch for an enthusiast
Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20151209_151958.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20151209_152035.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20151209_152107.jpg  

Last edited by ampere : 13th July 2016 at 08:40. Reason: Formatted post. Removed Dotty edits; Removed high speed mentions
Dr.Naren is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 14:25   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Exactly what I was wondering! There's no way the TSI can catch up, that too at speeds close to 100kph. Even if the gearbox is bad, it should make at difference at lower speeds only, cause the TSI cannot match the sheer pulling power of the Abarth. If the Abarth managed to get the lead in the beginning, the gap between the two cars is only going to increase.
Agreed.
I'm sure it is a case of missing a shift. The guy tried to slot into 4th, missed it and took 3-4 seconds to slot it back. Effect of rubbery shift causing a miss, not the engine. That said, as rubbery as the Punto's shift is, there won't be that much delay unless there is a miss. The Abarth has more torque and power than TSI all through the rev range and we can see it pulling away from the TSI effortlessly. There is no way the TSI can pull back so close to Abarth magically unless there was a delay in shifting or there was a mechanical issue with the Abarth. The higher power and torque will only guarantee that it will pull away at higher speeds like you said.

Last edited by theredliner : 1st January 2016 at 14:33.
Old 1st January 2016, 16:44   #232
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=PDvNH-Qyt9U

Motorbeam 0-100 is usually faster than other reviews
Figo diesel 9.5 sec
Polo GT TSI 10.09 sec
Abarth punto 8.96 sec

Polo GT TSI would have been still faster if there was no 3000 rpm launch limiter
I really doubt these videos now a days. I have a GT TSI with only tyres changed to 205 section tyre. I am a regular office driver and has NO experience in track. I took the car to NICE road in Bangalore and I was able to get the car reach 0 - 100 under 10 seconds (I dont have VBOX, but I recorded in a mobile camera and we can know whether its under 10 or over 10 seconds, as milliseconds cannot be measured in video recording.. Motorbeam claiming >10 seconds!! I really doubt the reason why they are portraying GT TSI so slower. I will post the video by evening. We definitely have a few BHPians having Abarth Punto. Kindly record the time in a video cam and post it here.

And Bangaloreans know that NICE road is a flat road without any much uphill or slope and I was in a flat surface while testing it. Pl dont bash me for trying 0-100 in a public road. (That too recording in one hand and driving using the other). Traffic towards late afternoon is almost less, we all know.

Any Abarth BHPian in Bangalore can test their Abarth in NICE road and kindly post a video of their 0 - 100 sprint.
Old 1st January 2016, 16:50   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I really doubt these videos now a days. I have a GT TSI with only tyres changed to 205 section tyre. I am a regular office driver and has NO experience in track. I took the car to NICE road in Bangalore and I was able to get the car reach 0 - 100 under 10 seconds (I dont have VBOX, but I recorded in a mobile camera and we can know whether its under 10 or over 10 seconds, as milliseconds cannot be measured in video recording.. Motorbeam claiming >10 seconds!! I really doubt the reason why they are portraying GT TSI so slower. I will post the video by evening. We definitely have a few BHPians having Abarth Punto. Kindly record the time in a video cam and post it here.

And Bangaloreans know that NICE road is a flat road without any much uphill or slope and I was in a flat surface while testing it. Pl dont bash me for trying 0-100 in a public road. (That too recording in one hand and driving using the other). Traffic towards late afternoon is almost less, we all know.

Any Abarth BHPian in Bangalore can test their Abarth in NICE road and kindly post a video of their 0 - 100 sprint.
V box is supposed to measure 0-100 kmph using GPS speed(not the speed you see on odo). ODO usually shows a little higher than actual speed. When you are doing 100 kmph on speedometer, actual speed would be around 95 kmph thanks to speedo error

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st January 2016 at 16:53.
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 16:58   #234
BHPian

Quote:
V box is supposed to measure 0-100 kmph using GPS speed(not the speedo you see on odo). ODO usually shows a little higher than actual speed. When you are doing 100 kmph on speedometer, actual speed would be around 95 kmph thanks to speedo error
Thank you for the information as I didn't know about that.

But in that case, if you see the video, when VBOX reaches 100 KMPH, the digital display shows only 95KMPH (in GT TSI) and when I recorded, I recorded till it reaches 100 KMPH in digital speedometer which means I should have overshot 105KMPH +
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 17:07   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But in that case, if you see the video, when VBOX reaches 100 KMPH, the digital display shows only 95KMPH (in GT TSI) and when I recorded, I recorded till it reaches 100 KMPH in digital speedometer which means I should have overshot 105KMPH +
I watched the video once again now. If you see the ODO of polo gt tsi, there is a lag between analog and digital display of speed. Also, I have doubt regarding if motorbeam really used v box. How can they show 0-100 kmph in speedo and claim it's V box timing?
Old 1st January 2016, 17:12   #236
BHPian

Sorry for back to back posts as I didnt know how to do video cutting and I send this video to a friend via Whatsapp (in which we can cut the video as per our wish and then sent that cut video to my laptop via mail and uploaded it. So quality has come down (Already video is very much shaky . I had 2 - 3 videos, but deleted all others and only this was pending)

This is my link.

Also if you see my launch, it will be the most laziest one possible and any professional test driver can do far better than this.

Last edited by petrol_power : 1st January 2016 at 17:25.
Old 1st January 2016, 17:19   #237
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
No one will launch a car in redline unless they want to screw the engine.
Not so much the engine as other parts of the drivetrain (e.g. axle). I know of too many clutches gone bad & broken driveshafts from aggressive launches .

If you have grippy tyres, that only increases the stress levels (wheel spin makes things easier on the drivetrain).

Rolling start rocks , but requires lesser skill.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 19:42   #238
BHPian

Hi all,

How can get get a better sounding exhaust note for the Abarth? Will changing the muffler or completely removing it help? I don't want anything too loud, just a mild bassy sound would be awesome. Also, what would the cost be for such a mod?

Cheers!
Old 1st January 2016, 19:44   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hi all,

How can get get a better sounding exhaust note for the Abarth? Will changing the muffler or completely removing it help? I don't want anything too loud, just a mild bassy sound would be awesome. Also, what would the cost be for such a mod?

Cheers!
Abarth punto test drive car in cochin dealer has FFE. It sounds way better than stock Abarth Punto. I am not sure about the make. I think Petes could source Milltek exhaust

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st January 2016 at 19:45.
Old 1st January 2016, 19:47   #240
BHPian

Quote:

The speedo error I guess is always negative, that is the speedo of our cars always shows a higher speed than what we are doing. I guess it would also lead to many traffic violations if your actually doing a 100 the speedo shows 90. From whatever limited knowledge,I guess all our cars are designed in a way that modifications negatively effect the speedo. I maybe a little off though and would love to be corrected.

Thanks
Pai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks