Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 18:00   #361
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Congratulations. That is a tough decision to move from TSI to Abarth. Eagerly waiting for your review to see the Justification behind this decision
Thank you devil_klm. The GT TSI is a phenomenal machine and I love it to bits. Both the cars are totally unique in terms of bringing something different to the plate. The GT with its explosive TSI+DSG performance, decent equipment levels, auto box and fuel efficiency is the perfect car that embodies the best of both worlds. Then there's the Abarth which is a car that has amazing body dynamics, responsive steering, awesome stopping power which is mated to that spectacular TJET engine. Oh I just forgot to mention the fact that it is a manual and that actually increases the fun factor a bit more. Its also very loud in terms of its appearance (I thought the red sticker job was looking odd when I saw the photos however I really like it in person). There's no reason why I would remove any of those stickers off the car. Its what makes the car unique. The gear shift felt rubbery but it was definitely not a deal breaker for me. Having owned the GT TSI for 3 years and with the dealer giving me some awesome end of the financial year discounts on the Abarth not to mention all the extra taxes (thanks to the recent budget proposals) that would be levied on the Abarth once its sticker price touches the 10 lakh mark I had made up my mind that this is the best time for me to go the Abarth way.
chase_nt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 18:03   #362
BHPian

Can you PM me about the sort of deals available on the Abarth?
Old 8th March 2016, 08:40   #363
YCJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
After months of procrastination and oscillating decisions about letting go of my GT TSI and purchasing the Abarth Punto, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and have purchased the Abarth Punto in Vijayawada yesterday. I am yet to bring the car home and I will do that in the next couple of weeks. I feel really sad to let my GT TSI go, if I had a chance to keep my GT TSI and own the Abarth Punto at the same time I would do that in a heartbeat however that is just not feasible for me. So with that said and done, here is a tantalizing pic of my new Abarth Punto in the foreground with my ex GT TSI in the background. Stay tuned for a user review in the next month or so.

My new Abarth Punto in the foreground with my ex GT TSI in the background.
Attachment 1483521
Congratulations for your new car! Must have been really tough to let go off your Polo GT.
Can you please shed some light on the sort of deal you got on your Abarth Punto?
Any modifications planned?
Old 8th March 2016, 13:48   #364

Can someone tell me what speakers are provided with the stock Abarth Punto and Avventura. During the TD the fiat guy told me it has harman kardon speakers. Is this true? I would assume Fiat would promote this in the brochure if this was the case.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:00   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Can someone tell me what speakers are provided with the stock Abarth Punto and Avventura. During the TD the fiat guy told me it has harman kardon speakers. Is this true? I would assume Fiat would promote this in the brochure if this was the case.
Well.. I can't say about the Abarth, but the Linea T-Jet comes with Mopar branded speakers, which are not too shabby at all. Mopar is MO-tor PAR-ts, a fiat arm which manufactures automotive components.

I would think that the entire fiat range comes with the same speakers.
Old 8th March 2016, 19:21   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCJ View Post
Congratulations for your new car! Must have been really tough to let go off your Polo GT.
Can you please shed some light on the sort of deal you got on your Abarth Punto?
Any modifications planned?
Thanks YCJ. I was in a dilemma whether to let go of my GT TSI until the very end. I got a discount of 115,000 on the on road price of the Abarth. I also got freebies in the form of floor mats, a body cover and 3M treatment for the car. The vehicle I purchased was a display car that was manufactured last year. At the end of the day it was a very sweet deal and I was happy. I am taking delivery of the car on Friday. I have no plans for any modifications as of now.
Old 9th March 2016, 16:42   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Well when i test drove the Abarth punto, the SE specifically mentioned that it was Harman kardon speakers. In fact the sound quality felt nice and way better than what i have in my Punto.
Old 9th March 2016, 17:15   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
You can try Aadya motors on Bellary road . It is located soon after Mekhri Circle on the right (towards airport) next to the Shell bunk.
However, good to call them and go . I called them and went and although the car was available, it had a flat and there was no one to replace it.
It was the second time when I dropped in while passing by, I got lucky.
Well, I finally managed to get a test drive of the Abarth Punto. In fact, two drives i would say. One test driving myself and the other one as a passenger in the back seat, when someone else came for the test drive and I tagged along with them. The total test drive was around 25 kms I would say.

Some general observations on the features of the car with respect my Punto MJD which i drive currently.

1. The car felt light as if i was driving a Maruti instead of a Fiat. Was it because of the engine? I do not know.

2. The doors felt lighter and tinny compared to my Punto. Was it a figment of my imagination, not sure. i checked this multiple times.

3. The wind noise was substantially lesser compared to my Punto

4. I thought the clutch in my Punto was light, but boy, the clutch in the Abarth Punto is a delight and super light

5. The Harman Kardon speakers actually sounded nice for a layman

6. The window glass felt thinner

Test Drive Experience:
Well nothing much to add than what is already written.

Amazing is the word i would use. The engine revvs like crazy and you can reach silly speeds in no time. The cabin is silent as there is no engine noise which i like.

It is an absolute breeze to drive in the city, almost like an AMT and with negligible turbo lag.

The gearshift is much much better compared to my Punto and should get better over a period of time.

The ride is firm and gets better as the speed increases. At slow speeds you can feel the road and bumps, as i got to experience this sitting as a passenger at the back seat. The 155 section tyres need to be changed to 160 or something for better cushioning effect.
Old 9th March 2016, 18:00   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

The 155 section tyres need to be changed to 160 or something for better cushioning effect.

I think you mean 55 'profile' and not 155 section! Section refers to width of the tyre and profile is height of the sidewall. If the Abarth came with 155 section tyres I think it would lose traction even in 3rd gear :P
Old 9th March 2016, 20:14   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
I think you mean 55 'profile' and not 155 section! Section refers to width of the tyre and profile is height of the sidewall. If the Abarth came with 155 section tyres I think it would lose traction even in 3rd gear :P
Mia culpa ! you are right, i meant 55 profile
Old 9th March 2016, 22:30   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The total test drive was around 25 kms I would say.
25 Kms drive? Nice, where did you drive. 25 kms of driving inside the city with crazy traffic can turn out to be a punishment.
Old 10th March 2016, 13:12   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
25 Kms drive? Nice, where did you drive. 25 kms of driving inside the city with crazy traffic can turn out to be a punishment.
Well the 25kms was over 2 test drives, one as a driver and the other being a passenger in the back seat. I took the test drive at Aadya motors and we drove towards BIAL and back.
Old 10th March 2016, 13:45   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I finally managed to get a test drive of the Abarth Punto. In fact, two drives i would say. One test driving myself and the other one as a passenger in the back seat, when someone else came for the test drive and I tagged along with them. The total test drive was around 25 kms I would say.

Quote:
Well the 25kms was over 2 test drives, one as a driver and the other being a passenger in the back seat. I took the test drive at Aadya motors and we drove towards BIAL and back.
This was the main reason I went to this showroom for a test drive although the Fiat Caffe was closer.
My drive was from Mekhri circle upto Yelahanka and back, around 20 kms .

Although there was traffic on the elevated road, I did get some free space at times and before I knew it I was doing high speeds which I realized once I looked at the speedo.

What I felt was the car masks the speeds really well.
Same opinion with the gear shifts, I felt except for first, rest of them were quite smooth and I could shift quick as well. I didn't floor the car in first or second to check the power , didn't want to either on congested roads, but I floored it in third gear and I didn't feel that thrust that I felt on the old Linea T-jet, but again, it did reach some good speeds although it wasn't felt much.

Probably I went expecting a mad rush of power compared to the Linea TJet because of the 145hp or probably because I didn't give it the beans.
Either ways, I won't mind this car if budget permitted.
Old 10th March 2016, 14:50   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
Well.. I can't say about the Abarth, but the Linea T-Jet comes with Mopar branded speakers, which are not too shabby at all.
That is the same brand I pulled out from my T Jet and to tell you the truth, I would like to set them on fire cause they are so bad. The worst that I have experienced when it comes to car speakers. I too found them acceptable in the beginning and in fact, held on to till a year ago. Maybe its cause my car audio needs are not a priority. Post upgrading to a nice set of Diamond Audio speakers, I now have decent in car audio running off the stock head unit.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 11:06   #375
BHPian

I took delivery of the Abarth Punto in Vijayawada yesterday. So far in the entire state of AP, mine is just the second Abarth that is on the road. I purchased the Abarth without any test drive because the dealer didnt have any demo vehicle and this is actually just the second time that i bought a car without a test drive (the first being my GT TSI). I based my car buying decision on the team bhp review and other reviews on the internet and on youtube. Having driven my GT TSI all the way to Vijaywada last Sunday to negotiate the discounts offered for the Abarth and having driven my new Abarth back to Visakhapatnam all the way from Vijaywada (390 km highway drive) just 5 days later, i am going to be brutally honest and say that i feel that the GT TSI is a lot better than the Abarth. I know a lot of you out here are going to go gaga over what i am posting and start branding me as a Volkswagen fanboy but after owning the GT TSI for 3 years and having driven both the cars on the same 390 km stretch of highway (which im sure none of you have done) and that too within just a few days apart of each other, i would like to think that i know what i am talking about. I am not going to say anything anymore, i suggest you wait for my Abarth Punto review which i will write in a sort of comparo style to highlight what exactly makes me say that the GT TSI is my choice as the perfect drivers car. Thanks for your cooperation in waiting until my review is out.
chase_nt is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks