Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:16   #736
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvy_bhala View Post
Well, has anyone enquired for a deal at KHT Bangalore?
I enquired with them last week over the phone, and they said Abarth Punto (black) is available for Rs. 10 L OTR. I didn't probe any further, I was more interested in T-jet.
redCherry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:24   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Tafe Access in Coimbatore are thugs when it comes to sales. I know them since the 90s. Don't give in to them. Their monopoly over decades is the root cause of their callousness. OTR is "On The Road".

If you have decided on the Abarth, check out dealers in other cities. If you don't mind Tata, check out if the JTP is available at SRT Motors on Avinashi Road.
I did not check the price of Abarth with Tafe Access. SRT Motors on Mettupalayam Road is the dealer for Fiat in Coimbatore and I enquired with them. Still they do not agree to the huge discounts that Fiat is giving. They say "Only temporary registered customer will get that price (8.7L)"

Most of my Business trips to Europe will be to Italy and Spain, where I see lot of Fiat cars on road. During my last visit in November, one of my customer, took me on his 3 door Punto, which had run more that 250000 KMS. He was driving pedal to the floor, which is very rash to European standards, and the car equally responded well. He spoke highly about the reliability of the car and did not want to part its company since 9 years. He also has a Honda CRV, but he prefers driving the Punto. This some what influences me to stick with Fiat and not go for JTP.

While I was trying to contact Marvel Fiat, Erode, for Abarth quotation, I got a lead of 2016 pre-owned Abarth in Erode, which has run 18,000KMS and in good condition. I'm quite new to this forum and I'm not sure if I can mention the price here. Now I'm in a dilemma whether to go for a new or pre-owned one.
nazeer_ahamed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:14   #738
BHPian

Headed for the test drive today with mixed feelings.

The news of the Fiat brand shutting shop has indeed dampened the spirits. Even my Fiat owning friends are now suggesting it is time to look beyond the brand.

Maybe the sales guy inadvertently did me a favour by not responding to my request for the past week.

The big question in my mind will be availability of spares, especially since I was thinking of holding on to the car for a long time.

Time to read up on the experience of the Chevy ownership threads.
Old 2nd February 2019, 14:02   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
...The news of the Fiat brand shutting shop has indeed dampened the spirits. Even my Fiat owning friends are now suggesting it is time to look beyond the brand......
If you are looking at a peaceful ownership with most parts readily available, don't bother considering Fiat even if they were not shutting shop in India. They are simply not efficient.

But if you want a hatchback with nice power, modification potential and can deal with a FNG, go ahead and buy the Abarth Punto as most the parts can anyways be procured from Mopar.

One thing for sure, ownership wont be a cake walk.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th February 2019 at 16:09. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:58   #740
Senior - BHPian

Have done 2100 kms, man, this is one amazing machine. The power on tap and consistent city FE of 10-11 is icing on the cake. No need to worry about the brand going in grave, this car is meant to be enjoyed.

In fact, post the forge IC change, I did find a better bottom end and engine breathing more freely.

More mods to come slowly.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-50061685_2047247908698844_3795246196109529436_n.jpg

Last edited by manson : 7th February 2019 at 20:15. Reason: Typo.
sidindica is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 16:04   #741
BHPian

Update on test drive 1:

Spent more time in the showroom than driving the car. The manager and the sales man were in "let us explain why you need not worry about the article" mode.

Heard them out, but there was nothing much that they could incrementally add to the bits in the public domain.

Coming to the car itself.

1. The seating position - I'm 6', 115 kgs. And it took me barely a few seconds to find a good position. I guess that's good news given all that's been said on this.

2. The dead pedal - Aaaaaargh. I was wearing my boots (had taken the RE) and it was a mess. The size 13 left boot kept fouling with either the dead pedal or the clutch pedal while driving. Couldn't figure that bit out in the 10 minute drive around the showroom. I asked if it could be removed (the dead pedal, not the boot!!) was told "No sir". Will be critical to check this on the longer test drive next week. Has anyone removed/tried and failed to remove the dead pedal without mutilating the well?

3. The brakes - Woooowieeee. Best set of brakes I've come across in a small car/compact sedan

4. The engine - barely got it going beyond 1700-2000 rpm. And I guess that's a good thing. Sets expectations on what to expect while using it for the 30 mins / 3 km long trip between home and the daycare centre. I expected the 1.4 given that it is a 1.4 to have a bit more grunt at the low end vs say the petrol DZire. The next drive will be a longer one and I do plan to stretch her legs.

5. Other bits -

Only black colour in stock. That's the one I would have opted for in any case.

10 days for delivery after booking. That's cool too.

Company scheme of 1.88L as mentioned earlier.

The OTR quoted is more than what other BHPians have quoted earlier in the thread. I did some comparisons using carwalle (to account for the difference in road taxes) and realised that I need to negotiate a fair bit.

Didn't really bother with the music system. Will be me by myself most of the time and the stock one will serve my purpose.

More after the next test drive.

Cheers!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th February 2019 at 22:15. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Mar21 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 21:05   #742
BHPian

So, finally got this beast home on 01 February 2019. One hell of a machine. I am just loving it and regret my decision of not owning it earlier. It's hard to find such cars meant for sheer driving pleasure and more often than not, we choose mileage above everything else (PS: I owned a Ritz and now own a Brezza and Celerio). I have just done around 300 KMS and already loving it. Sharing a few pictures below:

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-abarth3.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-abarth2.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-abarth4.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-abarth5.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-abarth1.jpg
jbpanda is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 22:17   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
So, finally got this beast home on 01 February 2019. One hell of a machine. I am just loving it and regret my decision of not owning it earlier. I have just done around 300 KMS and already loving it.
Congratulations mate and welcome to the club!

While many are stuck in a state of ambivalence, given the sealed fate of Fiat in India, I feel glad to get my hands on a master piece like this while I can.

Enjoy your ride man!
Old 4th February 2019, 22:53   #744
BHPian

Quote:
So, finally got this beast home on 01 February 2019. One hell of a machine. I am just loving it and regret my decision of not owning it earlier.
Congratulations on your black beauty! The car looks stunning in black.

Wish you many happy and safe miles with it.

You should consider upgrading those tyres

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th February 2019 at 01:38. Reason: Spacing
Old 5th February 2019, 01:34   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
I expected the 1.4 given that it is a 1.4 to have a bit more grunt at the low end vs say the petrol DZire.
The bottom end is weak and you can draw similarities to the NA version of 1.4l engine. Little you can do about it. It improves a little as you put more miles. The fun starts post 2000rpm. Off course, not every scenario permits driving like this.

Next, wear less bulky footwear. Makes a world of a difference on a car with a cramped foot well. I struggled with this for years until one day, I decided to wear my fancy red Puma Ferrari sneakers and it was a match made in heaven.
Old 5th February 2019, 23:22   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Congratulations mate and welcome to the club!

While many are stuck in a state of ambivalence, given the sealed fate of Fiat in India, I feel glad to get my hands on a master piece like this while I can.

Enjoy your ride man!
Thanks so much! I am sure with the expertise of Bhpians and members of the Abarth Club, the fate of Fiat would be inconsequential in having a trouble free ownership. Cannot agree with you more that it is truly a master piece for the price at which it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Congratulations on your black beauty! The car looks stunning in black.

Wish you many happy and safe miles with it.

You should consider upgrading those tyres

Thanks so much! While I agree that the tyres can be upgraded, I want to keep it stock for the time being and will consider mods may be after a few years.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 08:26. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 7th February 2019, 19:17   #747
Senior - BHPian

Next work done: Improving the overall driveability and making the car faster.
Estimated 170 bhp and 280 nm at crank post Quantum Remap.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20190207_162927.jpg

More in the coming weeks.
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2019, 20:21   #748
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks so much! While I agree that the tyres can be upgraded, I want to keep it stock for the time being and will consider mods may be after a few years.
That was my thinking too. I own a Honda City i-vtec MT which came with 175/65/15 Bridgestone tires. Then at 28k kms I upgraded my tires to 195/60/15 section accelera (some Indonesian tire) and 6.5J alloys as adviced by my cousin (cheaper tires, good for our usual drives). After 15k kms due to increased tire noise I upgraded to 195/60/15 Michelin XM2 tires. Man the car switched itself to a completely different mode. Dry grip, wet grip, braking etc. made a terrific improvement, while the tire noise reduced to a minimum. I still regret for not upgrading the tires from start, I wasted 42k kms of my car life on some crappy tires. I just love driving my car now, 4.5 years and 76,000 kms completed.

A good set of tires can improve the driving experience to a different level. I think you know what I am getting into

Last edited by pavi : 9th February 2019 at 20:23.
Old 11th February 2019, 16:27   #749
BHPian

Got this baby home last week. She was sent straight to the detailing studio from the showroom.

This car is money well spent!

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20190211_134858.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20190211_134842.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20190211_134729.jpg
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 17:02   #750
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If you are looking at a peaceful ownership with most parts readily available, don't bother considering Fiat even if they were not shutting shop in India. They are simply not efficient.

But if you want a hatchback with nice power, modification potential and can deal with a FNG, go ahead and buy the Abarth Punto as most the parts can anyways be procured from Mopar.

One thing for sure, ownership wont be a cake walk.
What does Fiat have to say about supporting their existing cars? Will all parts be available and will official servicing be done? What about warranty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks