Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 20:57   #121
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Are there any credible sources for this information, or is it all based on hearsay? I don't mean any offense, but I'm sure that quite a few more people would be interested if this news is indeed true, hence the question .

Also, just for clarification, have you heard about this gearbox being tested only for the Abarth Punto; or for other cars in the line up. They have put the AMT in the Abarth 595 Competizione, even though it is a much more premium hatch.
If true, then this is an informative read for those who enjoy a dual clutch.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2010/05/in...ry-clutch.html
Old 1st December 2015, 22:34   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Hi Hemant,

I guess for the following:
[*]195 - 2012 Grande Punto Petrol and 2014 Punto evo Petrol

Only the active and dynamic trims (1.2) have 195 mm of GC whereas the emotion variant (1.4) comes with 185 mm of GC. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, the 1.4 has the same GC values as 1.3 engines. I think its mainly because of the weights of the engines (1.3 and 1.4 are heavier than the 1.2)

While i wrote down the list, i frankly forgot about the 1.4
So in my post, please substitute petrol with 1.2 and substitute diesel with '1.3 and 1.4'
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:12   #123
BHPian

What a magnificent review S2! Having a Palio Sports 1.6 I can totally relate to all you say, particularly the driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
In a market where cars compete to drive farther and farther on the last drop of fuel, here's a manufacturer that has challenged others to beat its 8.8 seconds 0-100 kph time. I love how Fiat does this. It has once again ensured that the lost smile from the faces of petrol-heads is back...a smile which was part of the standard equipment with the legendary Palio 1.6L. That 100 BHP hatchback came when most sedans sold here hadn't seen that kind of power. ...
Amen, and amen again. There are some cars which have a very simple message: They are fun to drive. Which make you realize that this is what car driving is meant to be at its best, a communion between man and machine with each an extension of the other. That all the cup holders, foldable ORVMs, sun roofs and things that drop from the ceiling with a low hum, are often just so much flim flam, masala to spice up an otherwise bland dish or to provide fodder to a dreaded feature comparison checklist.

There are many vehicles which will do well checklist wise but cannot come near the driving experience provided by vehicles such as the Palio and by your review the Abarth.

What a pity that all the vehicles which measure up to that demanding yardstick, the Fiats, the Skodas and the Mitsubishis are little appreciated except by the breed of hard core driving enthusiasts. Perhaps as the Indian market grows there would soon be a sufficient population of this population to make selling these a profitable proposition. One lives in hope.

I pray the Abarth survives and thrives and is around when the time comes to find a replacement for my Palio which is still going strong after 8 years.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-palio-panchgani-1.jpg
bevivek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:48   #124
BHPian

Excellent review. You cant take away much from Fiats when it comes to drive dynamics and handling and this Abarth takes it to the next level with thumping power. But the ergonomics...why couldn't fiat work on to deliver a better ergonomic car. Those weird key position, driving position, arm rest position, rear ac vent position, dead pedal position, all these small things if sorted out could make it a much better package. Nevertheless, Kudos to Fiat for introducing this powerful motor into India at reasonable price. Unfortunately Fiat's market coverage and service network will not do justice for sales nos.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:27   #125
BHPian

So after reading excellent reviews here, I was all geared up to test drive the car and I tried booking the test drive couple of time with no luck of test drive yet. Anyways I thought of visiting the nearby showroom of Fiat from my office to check the beast in person. The test drive vehicle was not available with them yet, however I was fortunate to be able to check the car there. Coming from a Maruti Swift ZXi owner for 6 years, I have to admit it looks a much better package overall. I loved the way car stands on those lovely shoes and scorpion alloys and the way the car welcomes you in the drivers seat - Impressive. I feel I am in love with this car even before I have driven it and I am seriously considering to pick one up - lets see how much more blind I can go for this. Points to be noted at the dealership was - not much information or knowledge about the product or keen to make a sale as yet. The general philosophy or mindset that those who know the brand and car's will pick up fiat any day - I agree to a certain degree but still lets make an attempt to add more sales with a better knowledge and attitude towards the customer. I have left my details there and waiting to hear back for a test drive once the test vehicle is with them. Overall a great product and surely should work for fiat.

Last edited by invincible7 : 2nd December 2015 at 16:28.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:31   #126
BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Test drove the GT TSI and Abarth back to back and it was a really tough decision. While the the TSI is an awesome car with the perfect engine-gearbox combo, the outright pulling power of the Punto was in a different league! Took it for a nice 15km drive on the airport road and it did unmentionable speeds with ease! Crossed the 1.5 ton mark in 4th and the engine didn't seem strained at all(the roads were very empty and its elevated, so it was safe). Gave it a nice thrashing for 20 mins and the mileage indicated on the MID was 6kmpl 😛
Brakes were superb and it cut speed fast without any drama or weird vibrations. The only 2 areas where it is lacking is the gearbox and maybe the interior quality(compared to VW). Slotting it into 1st and 5th was a little hard but all the other gears seemed fine. I was able to change gears quickly from 1st to 2nd and all the way to 4th. Ride quality is better than the polo and the car inspires a lot of confidence along with the brakes!

So the outcome of this test drive was that I booked a black Punto Abarth and will get delivery around 20th of this month. I am not a fiat fanboy and I'm still not 100% convinced if it's the right choice cause the TSI is a little monster on its own. Loved the slight turbo whistle sound that the TSI makes but my friends preferred the growl of the Abarth! Well, let's see how it goes from here.

Btw, managed to get 5k off the final amount without much hassle. Should I try for more? And if anyone has any questions, please ask.

Cheers!

Last edited by Suraj25 : 2nd December 2015 at 16:33.
Suraj25 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:14   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I have left my details there and waiting to hear back for a test drive once the test vehicle is with them. Overall a great product and surely should work for fiat.
I will be surprised if you get a call. calling them yourself is better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
So the outcome of this test drive was that I booked a black Punto Abarth and will get delivery around 20th of this month. I am not a fiat fanboy and I'm still not 100% convinced if it's the right choice cause the TSI is a little monster on its own. Loved the slight turbo whistle sound that the TSI makes but my friends preferred the growl of the Abarth! Well, let's see how it goes from here.

Btw, managed to get 5k off the final amount without much hassle. Should I try for more? And if anyone has any questions, please ask.

Cheers!
Congratulations! yours must be the 3rd Abarth Punto on this Forum if I'm right

Being a new car, I do not think you'll get more discounts now.
What is the On Road cost-11.95L or 12.25L?
Old 2nd December 2015, 17:48   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Being a new car, I do not think you'll get more discounts now.

What is the On Road cost-11.95L or 12.25L?

Thank you! OTR Bangalore is 11.98L and I'm getting 5-6k off this amount. SA said there might be a price hike in some time. Also, more accessories will be available in a month or two like a mufflers, etc.
Suraj25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:52   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! OTR Bangalore is 11.98L and I'm getting 5-6k off this amount. SA said there might be a price hike in some time. Also, more accessories will be available in a month or two like a mufflers, etc.
Get the insurance by yourself and save a bit more. Insurance quotes from dealers are always on the higher side.
Old 2nd December 2015, 19:12   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
A fantastic review , thank you so much

Gear Box
The throws are long , i concede that point willingly and even the Jet would have benefited from them . But rubbery ? In my opinion a strong No. At 26,000 Kms by gearbox feels almost like butter , i think there was a substantial change in the "feel" post the 1st servicing getting done where i had replaced the oil
I would agree with you here. I own a Linea 2014 and a Punto Evo. Also I've Polo, Vento, Laura TDI (DSG) in the family and I drive all of them often. My previous car was a Ritz VDi which I drove for 1.25 Lakh kms.

It really surprises me how Punto/Linea gets bashed for its poor gear shift quality in every review out there. However it's been hardly a concern for me let alone being a deal breaker. Yes the throws are long and there are no millisecond gear shifts but I've never hit a wrong gear or false neutral in my 35K kms ownership of Linea and 3.5K kms of Punto ownership. In fact I quite like the light gear shift action and the dampened feel (which many term rubbery), which is a bit of a departure from my Ritz which had started feeling clunky (though throws were short) after years of use.

A real bad gearbox I remember was our 2004 TATA Indica, where it was more like hunting for a gear with a stick in the slush.

My suggestion would be anyone considering the Abarth or Fiat product should test drive before deciding.

Last edited by kaushal21fb : 2nd December 2015 at 19:16.
Old 2nd December 2015, 19:17   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Test drove the GT TSI and Abarth back to back...
So the outcome of this test drive was that I booked a black Punto Abarth and will get delivery around 20th of this month.
Congratulations Suraj,
Finally some response to Abarth by BHPens.
Since you test drove Polo TSI & Abarth Punto back to back, what is your take on ergonomics part. This has been discussed at length here & other Fiat threads, many find it odd/weird.
I personally have not found any issue in last three and a half years & 53K kms of driving.
Old 2nd December 2015, 19:35   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Get the insurance by yourself and save a bit more. Insurance quotes from dealers are always on the higher side.

Thanks for the tip sir! Will take a look at at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post

Since you test drove Polo TSI & Abarth Punto back to back, what is your take on ergonomics part. This has been discussed at length here & other Fiat threads, many find it odd/weird.

Thanks! I felt at home in the GT TSI cause I've been driving the Vento for more than a year. With the Punto I guess the problem is that the steering is placed a little forward and its not adjustable for reach. So shorter people might find it hard to reach the pedals if they don't sit close to the steering. I'm a little taller than 6 feet so I did not face any issue. In fact, I found the seats to be more supportive than that of the polo and the driving position more involving. Better lumbar support too.
Suraj25 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:28   #133
BHPian

Congratulations on the beast!

Quick question, I read some where that they are planning to launch the car in grey. Do you have any information on it?
I already own a white car and won't be allowed to buy black :(
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
Congratulations on the beast!

Quick question, I read some where that they are planning to launch the car in grey. Do you have any information on it?
:(

Thanks Vandan! No idea about the grey. Will ask my SA but I doubt he'll know.
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:22   #135
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand people cribbing about the position of the key? I mean, it's not like you are going to hold the key all through the journey!

Many other cars including Mercs have the key slot in the same orientation. It is perfectly fine and affects nothing.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2508.jpg

I drive a Fiat and I feel at home when I drive the Merc GLA, and feel weird when I drive other cars which have a conventional orientation for the key slot, that does not mean I can mention it as a negative for those cars, does it?

If the ergonomics are cribbed about, it is understandable, but the orientation of the key slot, seriously?
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks