Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 18:53   #151
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

If I can add my two cents on the topic. Firstly if you are a genuine costumer then you don't need a test drive to confirm the car's potential and capability. Take that from an owner of one from four days. Secondly if you just want to test waters then what I've heard from the dealer is that actual test drive vehicles will be available from January onwards as they some funda about the year. So more and more test drive vehicles and test drives will be available from next year onwards. And from my experience........In India companies don't matter, it's the people in the showroom that matter. It's the same people and they keep shuffling around dealerships. The main guy in my dealership was a Volkswagen salesguy before. Very nice guy, kept me informed of all the happenings. So don't be surprised if a Fiat dealership treats you nicely.
firstguri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 18:59   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
If I can add my two cents on the topic.

How's the car doing firstguri? How is she as a daily driver? Please give us updates
Old 7th December 2015, 19:19   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly if you are a genuine costumer then you don't need a test drive to confirm the car's potential and capability. Take that from an owner of one from four days.
Well said!

Congrats on the car!! your smile reveals half the contents of your future ownership post.

Wish you many happy miles in it. If you are in Mumbai during your goa trip, would love to meet up.
thedragula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 19:28   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a convenience feature. Fiat calls it driver facing keyhole. And I like it, at least I don't have to move my head around to locate the keyholes. Anyway, to each his own.

By the way, an update guys: My stinger is a just a few hours away reaching Mohali. The first in Chandigarh area, I guess the first North of Delhi. Can't wait!!!
Congratulations on your new Abarth Punto.

Indeed it is easier to look at the keyhole, if it is driver facing.

When the keyhole is mounted on the steering column, it also locks the steering column mechanically when the key is withdrawn. That is the advantage for which they were designed, it seems. And when you drive your own car, you do not have to 'look' for it. Even in the dark, your hand will place the key correctly.

In my SX4, there is a illuminated ring around the keyhole; this was just to help the driver to locate the keyhole easily. But I never had to look at the ring in last 4.5 years.

So either position is OK IMO. The driver facing keyhole, the key shall not foul with the knee.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 7th December 2015 at 19:31.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 03:21   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
How's the car doing firstguri? How is she as a daily driver? Please give us updates
The car is great, thanks for asking. It's just fun, I mean it's just fun. I can go on and on and I'll start crying then because I'm living my dream . Everyone who has driven it till now can't help but smile by the they put her in third gear. So you can imagine. A mere dab of the throttle and a gear change and you're in triple digit speeds. And I'm not kidding. It's deceptively quick and the engine is so refined that you actually can't make out the actual speed unless you glance at the speedo. It is seriously fast. But more important than that is the fact that steering is great. I haven't even looked at the other things in the car as yet; I just have been driving the whole time coz it's so much fun and I've been driving mostly sedately! It's a very contenting car for me.

Now as a daily driver or not, the car is great either way. And if you ask me then I'd say sure, the best daily driver out there. Only thing, gear changes aren't that pleasant. But compared to our first batch Linea, the clutch travel is a lot shorter. Initially I felt the ride was a tad bit hard but I got the tyres changed to Contimax MC5 the second day itself and now the ride seems to be a lot more pliant. So I feel it'll do a good job as a daily driver too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragula View Post
If you are in Mumbai during your goa trip, would love to meet up.
Firstly thanks for the wishes. Secondly sir, to meet up with you, I'll take a detour if need be. But seriously, no problems. We're not planning to stay in Mumbai but we can always halt for some time. Pleasure would be mine.
firstguri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 08:03   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to meet up with you, I'll take a detour if need be. But seriously, no problems. We're not planning to stay in Mumbai but we can always halt for some time. Pleasure would be mine.
If you are opting for going through Mumbai to Goa then you have the best option of passing through Ghodbunder Road, Thane where I can meet you. Provided your travel dates don't clash with mine.

I was interested to know if the 150mm GC is a show stopper for the Abarth. Given the size of the mountainous bumps and crater sized potholes, would Abarth pass that test with such low GC. How's the rear seat experience??
Old 8th December 2015, 16:41   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I was interested to know if the 150mm GC is a show stopper for the Abarth. Given the size of the mountainous bumps and crater sized potholes, would Abarth pass that test with such low GC. How's the rear seat experience??
The GC for the Abarth Punto is 155mm, and not 150 mm .

I would also be interested to know the answer to this question though. Although my suspicion is that due to the changes made in the suspension, it will not have any issues, due to the set up being more stiff than the standard car.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:03   #158

Quote:
it's the people in the showroom that matter. It's the same people and they keep shuffling around dealerships. The main guy in my dealership was a Volkswagen sales guy before. Very nice guy, kept me informed of all the happenings. So don't be surprised if a Fiat dealership treats you nicely.
Yea, true that. First of all, congratulations Firstguri for the insane gift! I vouch that you are in an ideal city to test it to the limits. You said it, the response i got for a single call, from the same dealer you mentioned is no less than the sweetest around. I got periodic updates and invitation to be there to witness their first abarth delivery which i couldn't attend, but now came here to see your post! how lucky!! Should catch up with you some time, guess PGI will be done in seconds time

The sad fact is that not many have knowledge of this machine, including the dealers in Chandigarh, but that should make it an owner's pride!
NyHeadlong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 17:32   #159

Congrats on your car Firstguri. Awesome, exclusive, and rare car.

Quote:
My wife keeps waiting while I merrily explain Abarth to people
I believe most of us can relate to it. All of us get into this explaining mode at the first instance and our family members keep wondering. But that is how you tell if someone is passionate.

I am also at Mohali and sure will know its you when I spot a black Abarth here. Cheers.
Phoneix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 16:09   #160
BHPian

Nobody has mentioned the quality of front seats. It is unnecessarily spongy and lacks support. And the slow falling glow box with lights is really a good feature. They could have though provided a decent lid for it, as this seems to be lifted from Palio.
Old 12th December 2015, 20:08   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been itching to read a review about this hot hatch and here it is. 5 stars. Finally got a chance to read thru the pages albeit weeks after it was published.

Great to see Fiat introduce this car instead of the mostly anemic hatches from car manufacturers that are aimed squarely at the 'kitna deti hai' crowd.

I still have my Dad's Palio 1.6 GTX. The old girl turns 14 in Feb, but she can sure lift her skirts and run! Will retain this one for as long as possible.

Will I buy the Punto Abarth? Well, maybe some day. 11-12L is pretty steep for a hatch IMO. As a comparison, the Palio 1.6 cost 5.5L on the road back in 2002. Sigh! Guess rising costs and a fast depreciating INR have led us to this pass.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 14:09   #162
BHPian

Dear fellow Fiat/Abarth lovers,

I have a question to ask.

I'm seriously considering booking the Abarth Punto in white. I test drove it yesterday at the Okhla Phase 3 showroom. It is indeed seriously fast, and there is a massive torque steer when accelerated hard.
Now what are the options for tyre upgrade available easily, and what size 205 ?? R 16 ?
Will MRF ZSport be a good option if the upgrade size is available ?
Old 14th December 2015, 14:49   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Dear fellow Fiat/Abarth lovers,

I have a question to ask.

I'm seriously considering booking the Abarth Punto in white. I test drove it yesterday at the Okhla Phase 3 showroom. It is indeed seriously fast, and there is a massive torque steer when accelerated hard.
Now what are the options for tyre upgrade available easily, and what size 205 ?? R 16 ?
Will MRF ZSport be a good option if the upgrade size is available ?
I have experience of placing performance as well as comfort tyres on my T-Jet (205-16) . The Yokohama S-drives were great wrt grip and awesome on curves, but sadly it was bad at handling potholes and extremely noisy.

Currently I have a Michelin St3 primacy. Curve handling performance is a little lesser than S-drives but extremely good on potholes and next to zero noise level.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 14:50   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
I have experience of placing performance as well as comfort tyres on my T-Jet (205-16) . The Yokohama S-drives were great wrt grip and awesome on curves, but sadly it was bad at handling potholes and extremely noisy.

Currently I have a Michelin St3 primacy. Curve handling performance is a little lesser than S-drives but extremely good on potholes and next to zero noise level.
Thanks for your reply.
What size do you recommend for upgrade ?
Isn't there a tyre that can offer straight line stability and cornering with acceptable noise levels
Old 15th December 2015, 16:22   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Isn't there a tyre that can offer straight line stability and cornering with acceptable noise levels
Continental ContiMaxContact MC5. These tyres are somewhere between Michelin P3ST and Yokohama S Drives. Less noise with good handling.

Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks