Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 20:01   #241
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
The speedo error I guess is always negative, that is the speedo of our cars always shows a higher speed than what we are doing. I guess it would also lead to many traffic violations if your actually doing a 100 the speedo shows 90. From whatever limited knowledge,I guess all our cars are designed in a way that modifications negatively effect the speedo. I maybe a little off though and would love to be corrected.

Thanks
Pai
We were discussing with respect to the motorbeam video stated 2 pages before in which 95kmph in digital speedo is coming as 100 in VBOX. Pl check that video to get the reference of our discussion.

As Dr. Naren pointed out, we don't know whether they were using VBOX or speedometer as reference. Which ever way, my GT TSI with just tyres changed to 205 section reaches 0 - 100 in less than 10 seconds. GT TSI never tried to advertise its 0 - 100 timing in any of its ads, where as Abarth definitely tried it in its marketing aids. Hence their 8.8 seconds is very much questionable in real life conditions and even the claim of motorbeam may be wrong as my video proves that their timing of GT TSI is wrong.

I would love to see a BHPian posting some video recordings as we cannot trust any of the medias eyes shut.

Last edited by petrol_power : 1st January 2016 at 20:12.
Old 1st January 2016, 20:54   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
We were discussing with respect to the motorbeam video stated 2 pages before in which 95kmph in digital speedo is coming as 100 in VBOX. Pl check that video to get the reference of our discussion.

As Dr. Naren pointed out, we don't know whether they were using VBOX or speedometer as reference. Which ever way, my GT TSI with just tyres changed to 205 section reaches 0 - 100 in less than 10 seconds. GT TSI never tried to advertise its 0 - 100 timing in any of its ads, where as Abarth definitely tried it in its marketing aids. Hence their 8.8 seconds is very much questionable in real life conditions and even the claim of motorbeam may be wrong as my video proves that their timing of GT TSI is wrong.

I would love to see a BHPian posting some video recordings as we cannot trust any of the medias eyes shut.
Brother, what I pointed out was that 100 kmph on the speedo can NEVER be 105 on the VBox.There must be a technical error.And what makes you think the Abarth cannot do 0-100 in 8.8 seconds?. I've driven both and can safely say that in real life conditions the power feels a lot more in the Abarth. The 0-100 in Abarth comes up at 8.8 with 3manual gear shifts with the third shift at close to 90odd I guess. Drive both of them and then youl get a bigger picture
Old 1st January 2016, 21:16   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brother, what I pointed out was that 100 kmph on the speedo can NEVER be 105 on the VBox.There must be a technical error.And what makes you think the Abarth cannot do 0-100 in 8.8 seconds?. I've driven both and can safely say that in real life conditions the power feels a lot more in the Abarth. The 0-100 in Abarth comes up at 8.8 with 3manual gear shifts with the third shift at close to 90odd I guess. Drive both of them and then youl get a bigger picture
Abarth punto is definitely faster than GT TSI. Also VW quotes BHP at wheels. Abarth punto would be around 130 hp or less at wheels. So GT TSI has around 25 hp less at wheels compared to Abarth. Punto is let down by rubbery shifts and weird clutch whereas Polo GT has very fast shifts thanks to DSG. So there is only 1 second difference in 0-100 timing. Fiat has definitely given the power and control for Indian enthusiasts. But extracting this power is spoilt by rubbery gear shifts.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 1st January 2016 at 21:27.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 23:36   #244
BHPian

Quote:
First of all, we are also clearly saying there is some error (either in the video or something else). And what makes you think that Abarth can reach in 8.8 seconds? Some of their marketing communication tolls or your gut feeling? If not, pl prove that you can reach 0- 100 by a simple video.

The reality is that Abarth will not reach in 8.8 seconds and GT TSI doesnt take 10 plus seconds. GT TSI will be just below 10 sec and Abarth just above 9 seconds, making the difference of may be 0.6 seconds or so. But not the advertised 1.5 seconds plus. And I do accept 0.6 seconds difference makes Abarth faster, but not as faster as 1.5 seconds difference!!!
Old 1st January 2016, 23:46   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Abarth punto is definitely faster than GT TSI. Also VW quotes BHP at wheels. Abarth punto would be around 130 hp or less at wheels. So GT TSI has around 25 hp less at wheels compared to Abarth. Punto is let down by rubbery shifts and weird clutch whereas Polo GT has very fast shifts thanks to DSG. So there is only 1 second difference in 0-100 timing. Fiat has definitely given the power and control for Indian enthusiasts. But extracting this power is spoilt by rubbery gear shifts.
True the gear shifts are a bit rubbery,but the power ratios to be felt spot on.It was very drivable in the city and was a blast on the highway .The brakes,the handling,the way the car mask's the speed and that beautiful steering. If your talking about driving Nirvana it has to have all of this. The only problem the Abarth suffers is slightly rubbery gearshifts and maybe an odd driving position(wasn't an issue for me really). Once you drive both of them you can easily figure out which one your heart craves for. The GT is a fast automatic hatch and its very good at that.
That godly steering,the brilliant suspension ,the awesome engine , those excellent brakes and the manual transmission. All just make it the hot hatch in the market and incomparable to the Polo GT.

Just my two cents.
Pai
Old 2nd January 2016, 00:32   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry doc but VW does not quote WHP. It is at crank only. WHP of a stock GT TSI is about 92 which is about 105 at crank. And I know this because we have dynoed. And yes, your assumption of 130whp on the Abarth is considering a 12% loss but we won't know the exact figures till it's dynoed & that would be interesting.
Old 2nd January 2016, 00:33   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, we are also clearly saying there is some error (either in the video or something else). And what makes you think that Abarth can reach in 8.8 seconds? Some of their marketing communication tolls or your gut feeling? If not, pl prove that you can reach 0- 100 by a simple video.

The reality is that Abarth will not reach in 8.8 seconds and GT TSI doesnt take 10 plus seconds. GT TSI will be just below 10 sec and Abarth just above 9 seconds, making the difference of may be 0.6 seconds or so. But not the advertised 1.5 seconds plus. And I do accept 0.6 seconds difference makes Abarth faster, but not as faster as 1.5 seconds difference!!!
I will post some lines from overdrive comparison between Abarth punto and polo GT TSI. Nobody could achieve fiat claimed 8.8 seconds timing and in all comparos GT TSI is at least 1 second slower

Overdrive comparo

Fiat claims just 8.8s from 0-100kmph but despite multiple runs, the best we could get was 9.3s. That's only about a second quicker than the significantly less powerful Volkswagen Polo GT TSI. The Abarth deserves to be at least a second quicker and I suspect it's the tyres and gearbox to blame. The first is an easy fix, the latter not so much…

The Polo is quick too, taking just 10.4s to hit the ton. If the gearbox allowed a launch at higher revs I suspect the Polo might even sneak under the sub-10 second mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_ankit View Post
Sorry doc but VW does not quote WHP. It is at crank only. WHP of a stock GT TSI is about 92 which is about 105 at crank. And I know this because we have dynoed. And yes, your assumption of 130whp on the Abarth is considering a 12% loss but we won't know the exact figures till it's dynoed & that would be interesting.
Dyno reports of stock 1.6 tdi engines showed around 105 bhp if I am not wrong. All the tuners whom I have met told VW quotes power at wheels. Since you have already dynoed it, I am confused. Also I was told all dynos won't give the same result.

P. S sorry for back to back posts. I am using team bhp mobile app. How to multi quote in app?

Last edited by noopster : 4th January 2016 at 13:09. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 07:53   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Dyno reports of stock 1.6 tdi engines showed around 105 bhp if I am not wrong. All the tuners whom I have met told VW quotes power at wheels. Since you have already dynoed it, I am confused. Also I was told all dynos won't give the same result.
What you said about the TDI engines is correct. But VW as a company does not give the figures for power at the wheels for all their products. The WHP for the TSI has been quoted as 92hp in many posts in Team Bhp itself. And I think we should ensure whatever figures given by VW is correct cos you never know when they switch on their cheat mode . Maybe a dyno result could clear all our doubts

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:59   #249
BHPian

You are right about dyno figures varying due to different conditions. Hell, even air temperature matters! But that's just a 1-2whp difference we're talking about & not a massive one. Hence a lot of people are going in for remaps now & now they're putting out 115-120whp which is almost roughly 140bhp at crank.
Old 2nd January 2016, 15:33   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello guys,
Has anyone driven Avventura powered by Abarth? Both Abarth punto and Avventura cost same price on road. Mangalore Fiat dealer told me sales have not yet started and they wouldn't be getting a test drive vehicle too. Fiat thrissur has no test drive car, but they can give delivery if I book after placing an order with Fiat.
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:32   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I watched couple of videos by Motorbeam today. Now I am 100 percent sure that they are faking about V box. They show the speedometer and when it hits exact 100, they claim it is V box 0-100. They are just using a stop watch and claiming it to be V Box. Any Car will have speedo error and I seriously don't know how Motorbeam V Box Speed matches exactly with speedometer of all cars
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 11:35   #252
BHPian

Guys, any update on the 180 bhp Abarth Punto and its gear box ?
Old 4th January 2016, 12:15   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Guys, any update on the 180 bhp Abarth Punto and its gear box ?
I will be highly surprised if Fiat launches the Abarth Punto in 180bhp state of tune.

For once, I would be happy to be wrong!
Old 4th January 2016, 13:19   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
I will be highly surprised if Fiat launches the Abarth Punto in 180bhp state of tune.

For once, I would be happy to be wrong!
Yeah right, knowing fiat this seems unrealistic, but it might happen as well.
The market is ripe, and people are power hungry, we thus might see an Abarth Punto essess.

I wish they launch it with an auto box . I'm in market to buy a new car. But I had promised my dad that I'll get an automatic for him.
Now my dad is encouraging me to get the Rapid auto because of the discounts on offer, and I'm head over heels for the Abarth Punto
Old 4th January 2016, 13:58   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Yeah right, knowing fiat this seems unrealistic, but it might happen as well.
The market is ripe, and people are power hungry, we thus might see an Abarth Punto essess.
The Abarth in its current state of tune is not selling much in this so called "ripe market and power hungry people". Do not wait for the 180hp. It is not going to come on Punto here, at least not in the next couple of years.

Most Viewed