Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 15:32   #256
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Hi Guys,

I have been wondering for sometime now, why there is no official review on Fiat Avventura Powered by Abarth? Both Abarth Punto and Avventura powered by Abarth were launched together. But it seems like people are not much interested about the Avventura Powered by Abarth. Nobody even talks about it. Am I missing something ?!!
Old 5th January 2016, 18:41   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpillai View Post

Hi Guys,

I have been wondering for sometime now, why there is no official review on Fiat Avventura Powered by Abarth?
Hey vpillai, I am not an expert in this but my guess is that there is not a lot of difference b/w the 2, that probably warrants an exclusive review.

However, if you would still like an exclusive review of the Aventura Abarth and have not yet come across any, here is one from the Motorbeam:

Link

Last edited by Vik0728 : 5th January 2016 at 18:42.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 08:43   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
First of all, we are also clearly saying there is some error (either in the video or something else). And what makes you think that Abarth can reach in 8.8 seconds? Some of their marketing communication tolls or your gut feeling? If not, pl prove that you can reach 0- 100 by a simple video.

The reality is that Abarth will not reach in 8.8 seconds and GT TSI doesnt take 10 plus seconds. GT TSI will be just below 10 sec and Abarth just above 9 seconds, making the difference of may be 0.6 seconds or so. But not the advertised 1.5 seconds plus. And I do accept 0.6 seconds difference makes Abarth faster, but not as faster as 1.5 seconds difference!!!
[url][http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169556URL]
Kindly go through the first page of this thread.The fourth post to be very specific.
Thanks
VRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 12:37   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have been wondering for sometime now, why there is no official review on Fiat Avventura Powered by Abarth?
Am I missing something ?!!
Here's what you are missing

The first driving impression of Abarth Punto had this to say about Abarth Avventura.

Hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Heart of the Matter

Avventura powered by Abarth Initial Impressions.

The Avventura finally gets the Tjet under the hood, which it ought to have it right at the time of the launch. Better late than never. The Tjet is tuned slightly differently and the power is at 140 BHP and torque at 210 nm. Though the numbers are very close to the Punto Abarth, the tuning is different. The low-end torque is slightly better and the top end is not strong as the Punto Abarth. The suspension is not changed or tuned to handle the bump in power, which is disappointing especially after you drive the Punto Abarth first and then Avventura. However, in isolation, the Avventura is quite fast with the 140 BHP motor. One interesting thing is that the exhaust note is more prominent in the Avventura than the Punto Abarth. Overall looking at it isolation, it is still a good proposition, but bring the Punto Abarth in with its retuned suspension, the Punto Abarth is leagues ahead of the Avventura for all obvious reasons.

Last edited by teemus : 6th January 2016 at 12:37. Reason: typo
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 19:54   #260
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I spotted a MH 04 GZ reg white Abarth Punto in Belapur on 2nd Jan. Is the owner a bhpian ?

And there are no dealerships in Mumbai as of now. So, during warranty period will taking the car to Pune the only option ? I might even be willing to do that once a year, but going to Pune just to test drive the car is difficult currently. Can like minded Mumbai bhpians request the Fiat caffe to arrange a test drive car for Mumbai customer ?
Old 6th January 2016, 20:51   #261
BHPian

Quick update on my wait for the Abarth Punto (which I thought might be of interest to potential buyers). I dropped in at the dealer's here in Hyderabad to check on the delivery status (I had booked the car mid-December and was told to wait six weeks). I asked if I would be getting a 2016 manufactured machine or a 2015. After some hemming & hawing, I was told that it would "probably" be a 2015. At which I said look, am happy to wait for another month to take delivery if you can ensure a 2016 model. Some more vacillation ensued and the dealer said "might be difficult". I asked outright how many units has he shifted since launch - answer "about 10" - net net, it seems that a buyer might have to wait till March to get a 2016 make. So I argued some more and finally, got him to give me the insurance for free - so if you're planning to buy before mid-Feb, you might be able to get about 39K knocked off the on-road price if you negotiate hard enough.

Also, I told him I wanted the tyres changed to Yokohama AR01 A Drive 205/55/R16 at delivery - he quoted an extra of 6K for the change, which I thought is quite reasonable.
splitinfinitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 22:10   #262
BHPian

Hi splitinfinitive,

Good deal. But, are you planning to put the 205 section tyres on stock alloys ? It is 6J and may not be fully compatible with 205 section tyres. The Avventuras and Lineas come with 6.5J alloys. I am not very sure but putting a wider tyre on a smaller alloy may have adverse effects. Experts please advise on this.
Old 6th January 2016, 22:50   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Hi splitinfinitive,

Good deal. But, are you planning to put the 205 section tyres on stock alloys ? It is 6J and may not be fully compatible with 205 section tyres. The Avventuras and Lineas come with 6.5J alloys. I am not very sure but putting a wider tyre on a smaller alloy may have adverse effects. Experts please advise on this.
Hi!
1. personal experience - my current car has 195/60/R14 on the same stock alloys it came with where the stock tyre size was 185/65/R14 - no issues
2. spoke to 2 mechanics and tyre showroom guys and the say its absolutely fine
3. tyresizecalculator.com says it is compatible as well.

splitinfinitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 07:38   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
[url][http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169556URL]
Kindly go through the first page of this thread.The fourth post to be very specific.
Thanks
I went through it. But couldn't understand what you are trying to communicate as the review spoke about they achieving in 9.38 seconds. Is that what you wanted to show me or some other parameter like ride and handling, small video, etc etc? You kindly be specific.
Old 7th January 2016, 08:34   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
I went through it. But couldn't understand what you are trying to communicate as the review spoke about they achieving in 9.38 seconds. Is that what you wanted to show me or some other parameter like ride and handling, small video, etc etc? You kindly be specific.
To quote the exact extract from the review
"Though the 0-100 kmph is mostly insignificant in day to day driving, we did try to see how close the numbers can be to the claimed 8.8 secs. While Crazy_Driver managed 9.9 secs to the ton mark (2nd gear launch), I was able to manage 9.38 secs later after dropping the tyre pressure to 30 PSI from the 42 PSI which the car had. With minimal tyre spins, the 8.8 secs seems very much achievable. Though this number is not ground breaking, it is good enough considering how heavy the Punto Evo weighs (with the Tjet, the weight of the Punto Abarth ought to have gone up by a few Kilograms from 1198 Kgs)

PS:*The 0-100 runs were done based on the GPS."

Hope this helps

Sorry for the back to back posts, but it clearly mentions that "the 8.8 secs seems very much achievable"

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th January 2016 at 09:15.
Old 7th January 2016, 15:27   #266

Hi,

I would still love an expert review specifically on the Abarth Avventura. While a detailed review on the base Avventura was done in October last year on Team BHP, i am still finding it hard to evaluate the Abarth version since almost all of the info/opinions on this forum as well as others focus on the Abarth Punto. I guess the decision to buy the Punto is pretty clear from the point of view of an enthusiast (once you've decided to spend Rs 11 lakhs+ for the Abarth brand), but for a layman like me, it is still quite confusing.

Explaining my situation here:
* Have driven a 2006 Santro Xing for 1.18L km and looking to purchase my next vehicle
* Mainly city driving but go out on the highway a few times every year
* Enjoy revving the engine and getting good pickup on every gear; Upshift later than most; Don't worry too much about mileage
* Not a sedan guy, prefer SUVs but the Delhi/Gurgaon traffic plus no dedicated parking at my residence make a large car undesirable
* Started out by looking for an 'upgrade' in every sense of the word - brand, size, engine etc, but realized that good driveability and power are actually my No.1 ask from a car. I've driven solo 90% of the time and am currently unmarried so space is not a big requirement. However, I also want a hassle free ride, which makes the build quality, ride & handling as well as ground clearance very important.

While the Abarth Punto satisfies most of these requirements handsomely, the GC has me worried. Also, the Avventura somehow gives me the feeling of an upgrade from the hatchback segment, even if the platform (and hence the overall size) is very similar to the Punto. Am not too concerned about looks but do like Avventura's chunky exteriors. On the other hand, the Punto is a hardcore Abarth (from the Abarth badges - no Fiat ones - to the better tuning and suspension setup). The decals are a bit excessive in my opinion, but overall the car gives more brand value than the Avventura. The torque steer I felt during my Avventura test drive was also a bit unsettling.

So I have a strong feeling that I will end up buying one of these two cars, and currently I am tending towards the Avventura because I think it will give me a lot of happiness with little or no worries. But my test drives for both cars at Kashyap Fiat were weeks apart, due to the TD vehicles (particularly the Avventura) not being available, because of which I couldn't make a very objective comparison on driving pleasure/power/other aspects. That's why it would be great if some of the seniors could provide more details on differences between the two as well as a standalone review on the Avventura powered by Abarth.

thanks in advance!
Old 7th January 2016, 16:41   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman S View Post
Hi,

I would still love an expert review specifically on the Abarth Avventura. While a detailed review on the base Avventura was done in October last year on Team BHP, i am still finding it hard to evaluate the Abarth version since almost all of the info/opinions on this forum as well as others focus on the Abarth Punto. I guess the decision to buy the Punto is pretty clear from the point of view of an enthusiast (once you've decided to spend Rs 11 lakhs+ for the Abarth brand), but for a layman like me, it is still quite confusing.

Explaining my situation here:
* Have driven a 2006 Santro Xing for 1.18L km and looking to purchase my next vehicle
* Mainly city driving but go out on the highway a few times every year
* Enjoy revving the engine and getting good pickup on every gear; Upshift later than most; Don't worry too much about mileage
* Not a sedan guy, prefer SUVs but the Delhi/Gurgaon traffic plus no dedicated parking at my residence make a large car undesirable
* Started out by looking for an 'upgrade' in every sense of the word - brand, size, engine etc, but realized that good driveability and power are actually my No.1 ask from a car. I've driven solo 90% of the time and am currently unmarried so space is not a big requirement. However, I also want a hassle free ride, which makes the build quality, ride & handling as well as ground clearance very important.

While the Abarth Punto satisfies most of these requirements handsomely, the GC has me worried. Also, the Avventura somehow gives me the feeling of an upgrade from the hatchback segment, even if the platform (and hence the overall size) is very similar to the Punto. Am not too concerned about looks but do like Avventura's chunky exteriors. On the other hand, the Punto is a hardcore Abarth (from the Abarth badges - no Fiat ones - to the better tuning and suspension setup). The decals are a bit excessive in my opinion, but overall the car gives more brand value than the Avventura. The torque steer I felt during my Avventura test drive was also a bit unsettling.

So I have a strong feeling that I will end up buying one of these two cars, and currently I am tending towards the Avventura because I think it will give me a lot of happiness with little or no worries. But my test drives for both cars at Kashyap Fiat were weeks apart, due to the TD vehicles (particularly the Avventura) not being available, because of which I couldn't make a very objective comparison on driving pleasure/power/other aspects. That's why it would be great if some of the seniors could provide more details on differences between the two as well as a standalone review on the Avventura powered by Abarth.

thanks in advance!
Please go through these reviews of the Avventura powered by Abarth.

Also another version of the same review from their website: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-398384.aspx

Overdrive Review: http://overdrive.in/reviews/exclusiv...-drive-review/

Zig Wheels Review: http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/23688/

Motor Beam Comparison of Abarth Punto v/s Avventura powered by Abarth: http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/10/car...-drive-review/

Same comparison like above by Gaadi.com: http://www.gaadi.com/auto-reviews/fi...arth-avventura

All the best, hope the above help you & soon you give us the good news that you have booked the car

Last edited by karan561 : 7th January 2016 at 16:49.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 18:39   #268
BHPian

Thank you for this review. May this car receive the accolades and fame it truly deserves.

On the flip side, I simply cannot fathom the fact that you cannot buy this car in Mumbai anymore. Sadly, the last standing Fiat showroom (Balaji in Thane) shut shop and made way for Audi Thane.

Reading this review just leaves one thought behind - There are some things money cannot buy. For everything else, my salary isn't enough. The Abarth Punto falls in the latter.
Old 8th January 2016, 21:00   #269
BHPian

Had been to 3M today to get some parts vinyl wrapped. My main aim was to make the front and rear fog lamp housing black as I thought the car had too much red. We tried, but unfortunately couldn't get a clean finish as the job is a little tricky. They said that it could be done perfectly if the housing was removed and then wrapped, but I didn't want to do that. Since I was there, did some other things as well-
1. Made the door handles black
2. Faux piano black inserts on the steering wheel

Here are a few pictures:

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2763.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2764.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2765.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2768.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2770.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2776.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2777.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2773.jpg

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2772.jpg

Black inserts look superb from the side
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_2774.jpg

Pros and cons after 400 kms of driving:

Pros:
- This thing is an attention magnet! I doubt even the C class get this much attention.
- Very quick in traffic. Need not cross even 3k rpm for overtakes.
- Great lumbar support and overall very good seats. I love the seating position and prefer it over my vento(many wont agree)
- Interiors look superb at night with ambient lighting along the dashboard.
- High speed stability is WAY better than my Vento and friends polo GT. Gives a lot of confidence!
- Stopping power is the best I've seen in any car below 30 lacs.

Cons:
- Pathetic FE! I get around 7-8.5 kpl. Coming from the Vento, this is surely depressing. Vento was a fill it and forget it kinda car but my eyes are always looking at the fuel gauge in this car :(
But my commute to college is generally through medium to heavy traffic.
- Gearshift is a little rubbery but its not as bad as some people claim.
- Interior quality a notch below the ventos.
- My wallet hates the car.

Last edited by Suraj25 : 8th January 2016 at 21:27.
Suraj25 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 21:06   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Had been to 3M today to get some parts vinyl wrapped.
Nice idea Suraj25 and I think you have almost nailed the looks

Personally though, I would have even thought about getting rid of those red strips on the bonnet. But that's just me !!

Quote:

Pros and cons after 400 kms of driving:[/u]
You have probably "Silenced" all the Abarth Critics (including me) with a direct comparison with Vento buddy, on the ergonomics front.

From my limited knowledge, I know that mileage was never the strongest point of the T-jet engine.

But with that kinda fun behind the wheels and an added benefit of swapping your drive to Vento when needed, you are one lucky commuter !!
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks