Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 09:26   #316
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
As promised, the alloys, just for you bro.

But apologies for the bad/shaky images. My phone camera likes dancing sometimes Attachment 1467861

And to give you an idea, other amazing looking alloys FIAT offers in Brazil.

I just wish, Fiat offered these wheels in India, if not the cars.
awesome!! really, thanks a lot! There's something with FIAT and alloys, ain't it?
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:01   #317
Senior - BHPian

Those alloys are real drool worthy! Wonder why Fiat doesn't introduce them here. Even panda for that matter. With its optional 4x4, I'm sure it'll be a hit in mountain areas!
Old 3rd February 2016, 11:43   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition ! Wishing you awesome fun and miles with it. Could you let us know how long was the waiting period at hyderabad ?
Thanks so much! I booked it on 17th Dec and got delivery on 29th Jan - but as I understand, they can deliver the car in White in a week, and the Black in 4 weeks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Congratulations sir! I believe this makes you the first BHPian to own the Abarth Punto in Hyderabad . She looks stunning! I wish you many awesome miles with this hottie, and I'm sure she'll help you get over that mid-life crisis mighty soon
Please do make an ownership thread for the benefit of us lesser mortals.
Cheers!
Many thanks buddy! You're welcome to come and take a look and a ride! Yes, the ownership notes are being compiled by-and-by. Working on the ICE right now - that update hopefully coming up next week...
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:37   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
awesome!! really, thanks a lot! There's something with FIAT and alloys, ain't it?
My pleasure. Yeah, its really something different. Just look at those wheels on Bravo & Lines, the bolts aren't exposed like in regular designs.
Mods: Apologies for deviating from the thread. Was just curious to share my observations.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:11   #320
BHPian

It has been two weeks since I took delivery of my Abarth Punto. And it has been an interesting two weeks, to say the least. Thought I’d write up a quick update on the experience so far.

First, let’s get the not so good stuff out of the way. Major bugbear: the OEM ICE system. No name speakers, crappy single line display head unit, and biggest problem is that there is only enough space in the centre console for a single DIN unit – no way to install an after-market Double DIN touchscreen head unit without doing some cutting and voiding the warranty. I anyway got better speakers and amplifiers installed, hoping that I would figure out a solution to the head unit problem along the way. The new components are:
  • Polk MM series components in the front doors
  • Pioneer 3-way coaxial speakers in the real parcel shelf
  • Disconnected the useless, tinny 5” speakers in the rear doors
  • Blaupunkt 4-channel amplifier of the speakers
  • MTX mono amplifier for the sub-woofer
  • Pioneer 15” dual-coil sub-woofer
(the amplifiers and sub-woofer are holdovers from my previous car)

Then I heard about this company in Hubli called Virtue India that is importing China-made touchscreen head units that are compatible with the Fiat centre console and the steering controls. Gave them a call, they assured me that it is 100% compatible, did some more research on the forums (here and elsewhere) and then said to myself, “what the heck, I’ve already spent foolish money, what’s 29K more?” So got this baby 2 days later: http://www.virtueindia.in/product/sa-156el-android/

Posting some pictures of the new HU. Full Android, WiFi, Navigation, Auxiliary, USB, SD Card, and Bluetooth, also comes with a CANBUS connector box that enables the steering controls to work as well. I also installed a rear camera (managed to get hold of one that comes in the same housing as the rear number plate light – no holes in the bumper!)
(Note: there’s some grounding issue with the amps so am getting some mild alternator whine thru the speakers – project fixit for this weekend!)

Couple of other minor irritants:
  • Difficult to drive wearing wide-ish sandals – the gap between the clutch and the foot rest is rather small, so your left foot will keep getting stuck, until you learn to adjust.
  • Mileage is disappointing to say the least – not that I bought the car expecting any decent mileage, but boy oh boy… 500 km so far and 7.8 average…. !! Awesome
  • Turning circle is rather large for a car of this size (at least, larger than what I’m used to).
  • The cubbyhole in the centre is oddly shaped and tiny.
Ok, now for the good stuff….

It is an absolute delight to drive! As the turbo kicks in around 2100 rpm, so does the totally silly grin on my face!

The build quality is superb – no panel gaps, high quality finish, and no rattles and shakes at any speed.

The steering is delightfully centre-weighted, and has this beautiful ridge that makes you hold the wheel rally-style: thumbs out, at the 10 & 50 position.

Manic amount of torque-steer, and accelerating out of a turn will definitely test your skill or the car’s road holding ability. Thankfully, so far, the car’s ability has won out every time.

In a straight, it feels like it on rails, even at high speeds. Thankfully, Hyderabad has good roads overall so I have been enjoying pure driving pleasure, even on the commute to office.

Finally, you do get stared at a lot at the traffic signal and so far, I haven’t seen another one on the roads. Who knows, maybe one day soon I’ll see another and will not be a member of a club of one – this car deserves to have a wider audience.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Team-BHP vehemently discourages the mention of high-speed-driving on public roads, unless attempted by or in the presence of professionals within a closed / secluded area i.e. race-track / runway / etc. Team-BHP also encourages safe driving practices. Please read the announcements carefully before proceeding. Thank you for your anticipated co-operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-20160212_094720.jpg  

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-20160212_094804.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2016 at 18:50. Reason: Please read mod-note in post. Thanks!
splitinfinitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 18:33   #321
Senior - BHPian

Wish more people buy it, so that when I have enough money, there's still one to be bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitinfinitive View Post
Since you hit high speeds (i am assuming on a public road), this one's for you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th February 2016 at 18:52. Reason: Editing out referesences to high speeds. Thank you for the video!
asr245 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 19:01   #322
BHPian

Quote:

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Team-BHP vehemently discourages the mention of high-speed-driving on public roads, unless attempted by or in the presence of professionals within a closed / secluded area i.e. race-track / runway / etc. Team-BHP also encourages safe driving practices. Please read the announcements carefully before proceeding. Thank you for your anticipated co-operation.
High speeds within 500kms on the ODO
Dude ever heard of "running in" your car? Try reading this

http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-run-your-new-car

I know modern cars are way more durable than the oldies, but why put your own car to the test, especially a beauty like that? No wonder you are only getting 7.8 kpl.

I hope you religiously follow this as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/i...o-charged-cars

Last edited by Zappo : 12th February 2016 at 19:19. Reason: Speed references not allowed. Also, please quote only the needed part of any long post.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 19:05   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
High speeds within 500kms on the ODO
Dude ever heard of "running in" your car?
It was a one time thing - have driven gently the rest of the time - the service guy did say that the mileage will be sub-10 for the first few 100 km's. To be honest, I saw the open road, couldn't resist, and in a momentary lapse in reason, got carried away - my bad.

I do appreciate your input and plan to carry out the rest of the running in process to the letter (have been following the turbo idling rule without fail). Thanks again!

Last edited by Zappo : 12th February 2016 at 19:19. Reason: additonal info, corrected typo.
splitinfinitive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 19:27   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Posting some pictures of the new HU. Full Android, WiFi, Navigation, Auxiliary, USB, SD Card, and Bluetooth, also comes with a CANBUS connector box that enables the steering controls to work as well. I also installed a rear camera (managed to get hold of one that comes in the same housing as the rear number plate light – no holes in the bumper!)
(Note: there’s some grounding issue with the amps so am getting some mild alternator whine thru the speakers – project fixit for this weekend!)
splitinfinitive, is the new HU any better in terms of SQ than the stock unit? I see that it's 4x45W but that really isn't an indicator of better sound.
Old 12th February 2016, 20:35   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
is the new HU any better in terms of SQ than the stock unit? I see that it's 4x45W but that really isn't an indicator of better sound.
Well, it is average to be completely honest. Quality is good till you crank the volume up real loud - then you see the quality difference between a good branded HU. But up to mid level volume, paired with a decent set of speakers and amps, very acceptable. Also, today I installed the Android Poweramp music player that has a 10 band EQ and that has also made a noticeable difference. However, my long term plan is to use this HU till my warranty expires and then install a proper Pioneer HU (or hopefully, the Android based HU's by Blaupunkt become affordable by then).
splitinfinitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 18:00   #326
BHPian

Something I forgot to write about in all the excitement :-P

The gearbox! First 200 km or so, it was a complete piece of junk. Spongy, imprecise, limp and suddenly, it has improved. There is now a distinct notchy feel as it slots in, and while by no means is it as good as the one on my old Swift, it isn't remotely near as bad so as to make one regret the buy.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2016 at 18:24.
Old 19th February 2016, 11:36   #327
BHPian

Guys any news on the Abarth Punto 180 bhp ??
Feb has come and soon will be over, and someone mentioned about its arrival in feb.
I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival, don't want to buy the current one and regret later if the more powerful version is launched soon after.
Old 19th February 2016, 11:54   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Guys any news on the Abarth Punto 180 bhp ??

I doubt it's coming anytime soon. Fiat wouldve surely showcased it at the auto expo if they had plans of getting a 180hp Abarth to India.
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:14   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
So, although there are areas of concern, I didn't read any reason so far (apart from the shoulder pain that swiftandfurious experienced) that could support the claim that the Punto's ergonomics are messed up.

In my Ecoposrt, the PW switches are placed too far, the gear lever is too far and deep, the hand brake lever is in the wrong side etc, but haven't seen anybody saying that its ergonomics are messed up.

When I read at many a thread that the Punto's ergonomics are messed up, I expected to see much more than what has been said here.

I fel that it is safe to assume that this is just a case of people repeating what they have read elsewhere.

I have driven the Punto for nearly 40,000 Kms now and do not find too much of a problem with the ergonomics. I am 5.7' for your reference. I have driven a swift before for close to a Lakh Kms and never had a problem switching over to the Punto.

In fact, now I feel the key slot is in the right place, the switches are where they are supposed to be, the seat height is appropriate, all the switches are backlit. Never had a problem with the indicator stalks being on the wrong side.

If you want to blame Fiat, blame the gearbox and absolute lack of storage space or bottle holders and some creature comforts. I absolutely hate Fiat for this.

I mean does a company need 7 years to understand simple things like providing bottle holders when they have launched 10 variants of the same car in this period ?? Ok maybe not 10, but whatever !!

Even if I were to buy the Abarth today, should I not expect creature comforts? What's wrong with it ?
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 20:29   #330
Senior - BHPian

Comparision pic between two different hearts yet one soul.

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-f.jpg
sidindica is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks