Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 10:23   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21 View Post

So I don't think if I were to put down twelve big ones on a car which is rather low on equipment otherwise, I would keep it stock for very long.
12k for wolf remap?

And is there a loss in the top end for the benefit of better low end? They don't dyno their cars so a bit doubtful as to how they arrive at their quoted figures of power and torque.

Won't an ideal situation be to run the car on a dyno with stock map first with the customer then remap the car, run it on the dyno again and explain the gains to the customer?

Right now would it be a case of it feels faster or it feels better? Unless it's like what the good doctor did. 0-100kmph runs. So many variables to address. Sorry, am just confused is all.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:35   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
12k for wolf remap?
Haha.. He meant the price of the car . Wolf map should cost around 25K.

Quote:
Won't an ideal situation be to run the car on a dyno with stock map first with the customer then remap the car, run it on the dyno again and explain the gains to the customer?
It is done that way in Europe. Most of the tuning houses have their own dyno setup. But as I said before.. Don't blindly trust even the dyno graphs. Different dyno shows different numbers and it can be manipulated easily.

Quote:
Right now would it be a case of it feels faster or it feels better? Unless it's like what the good doctor did. 0-100kmph runs. So many variables to address. Sorry, am just confused is all.
Wolf Moto has switchable maps for Abarth Punto. I doubt anybody else has it in India or even abroad. You can compare stock vs other maps anytime and appreciate the gains. Also I strongly believe in timing the car. A simple GPS app will do for comparison. You can time in gear acceleration or 0-100.

If you want to do a dyno run, please get it done at Red Rooster, Coimbatore.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:57   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Haha.. He meant the price of the car . Wolf map should cost around 25K.

It is done that way in Europe. Most of the tuning houses have their own dyno setup. But as I said before.. Don't blindly trust even the dyno graphs. Different dyno shows different numbers and it can be manipulated easily.

If you want to do a dyno run, please get it done at Red Rooster, Coimbatore.
Oops! Got confused

That was my understanding of the tuning scene in the west as well. So how do tuners without dynos claim torque and power figures? Theory?

Coimbatore seems so far away Shall talk to my friend. He was also talking to code6 and quantum tuning. Let's see.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:06   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That was my understanding of the tuning scene in the west as well. So how do tuners without dynos claim torque and power figures? Theory?
Yes, it's just theoretical calculations. The tuner can calculate the torque by checking various maps. But most of the tuners just bluff some figures . This is the main reason I time the cars and have even dragged with stock car

Quote:
Shall talk to my friend. He was also talking to code6 and quantum tuning. Let's see.
Both Code 6 and Quantum have remapped Abarth Punto in India. Code 6 has also posted dyno graph of their tuned Abarth Punto in their FB page. But they have not posted / dynoed the car on stock map.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 11:31   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Common feedback was that just a remap would not really make much of a difference.
I used to own a stock Linea T Jet. The car pulls well right up to 160, after which, it takes forever to go any higher.

I drove FM keroo's facelift Linea T Jet. Has a stock replacement K&N and Wolf remap that is claimed to push around 135-140 horses at the crank. This car in stock tune is supposed to be watered down compared to my 2011 T Jet. I cannot comment on this as I never drove it in stock. What I will say is, there is a marked improvement in performance with just a remap. I would not bother fiddling with the mechanical bits. This car keeps pulling well beyond the speeds I mentioned above. It is effortless and the engine is singing at high rpm. My T Jet felt as if it was starved of fuel, running out of breath.

You don't buy an Abarth to drive at <2000 rpm. The fun starts after this. The lack of bottom end should be the least of your problems. The bottom end on my Linea was more than satisfactory for the city cycle. Out on the open road, my car never saw anything below 3000rpm.

To all Abarth owners, spend a good bit of time with the car before you tweak it. I hear it is really good in stock form.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 17th August 2017 at 11:40.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 22:59   #546
BHPian

Quote:

And is there a loss in the top end for the benefit of better low end?
Usually if you increase the torque at the bottom end, it will inevitably have an effect in the same direction over the whole rev range. Manufacturers lower the torque at the bottom end to achieve better fuel efficiency figures in city traffic.

Last edited by sourav21 : 19th August 2017 at 23:01.
Old 21st August 2017, 15:31   #547
Senior - BHPian

Here's a teaser of the trip we completed recently. Not just one, but two Abarths. Probably the only ones from the forum to go there. Although we couldn't complete the entire circuit, there's always a next time.

BHPian YCJ's black car:
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_0611.jpg

That's me; you can also spot the spare rim on which majority of the trip was completed due to a sidewall cut:
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_0657.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 11:50   #548
BHPian

I just called the Bangalore Abarth dealers and if it's good, want to book Abarth Punto too but that is atleast couple of months away. I called Fiat Toll free number and the support person informed me that only two showrooms in Bangalore sells Abarth Punto - Aadhya Motors and KHT Agencies. I called them and here are the info

Aadhya Motors - One lady picked the call and she said they are going to close the showroom and not taking any orders. May be based on the Jeep success they will reopen the showroom after 4-5 months but not sure.

KHT Agencies - I was informed that Abarth production has been stopped and they are not taking any booking for the same. I informed him that I am aware that it was briefly stopped for upgrading the factory to accommodate Jeep production and they resumed it but the person informed the production of Abarth has been stopped.
Old 26th August 2017, 15:11   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
... I was informed that Abarth production has been stopped and they are not taking any booking for the same. I informed him that I am aware that it was briefly stopped for upgrading the factory to accommodate Jeep production and they resumed it but the person informed the production of Abarth has been stopped.
The sole Fiat dealer in Mangaluru has accepted a booking for a Abarth Punto early this month and promised delivery by mid September. I have also confirmed availability of the Abarth Punto at the Fiat dealer in Mysore. They have a 2015 test drive car there. They too offered delivery in 4 to 6 weeks.

From what I gather from the Mangaluru dealer is the the first batch of (40?) cars produced in July are either sold / booked. Production of a second batch of 40 cars is scheduled for this week (third-fourth week of August).

I suggest that you call Fiat Customer support. When I spoke to them earlier this month they followed up a couple of times for feedback on dealer responsiveness.
Old 26th August 2017, 17:47   #550
BHPian

Thanks I checked with the Fiat support before. I specifically asked whether they have black Abarth Punto or not. For every question, the customer support personal want me to check with Dealer. He is tight lipped even for a colour availability leave alone pricing, waiting period and other details.

I just called the customer care again and asked whether I can purchase Abarth Punto or not. You just would not believe how the customer care answered my question.

Initially he dragged me to something different and these are his words "Abarth is a different company and they customize Punto and Fiat imports it blah blah blah". I said AFAIK, only the Engine is imported from Europe and rest is all manufactured in Pune. He said please check with Showrooms near to you for this.

I cut the chase and said this, I checked with two Bangalore showrooms and they informed Abarth Punto is not manufactured and they are not taking any orders. Also when I called Aadhya Motors, they said they are are going to shutdown soon.

That very moment, the customer support person said this very sentence in a jiffy and cut the call immediately "Please check with the Fiat showroom near to you and they will help you".

I am completely baffled by this

If you guys don't believe my words, please call Fiat customer care 1800 209 5556 and ask the questions straight regarding Abarth Punto availability and showroom shutdown in Bangalore.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd September 2017 at 14:45. Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old 26th August 2017, 22:03   #551
BHPian

@Amvj,

I spoke your issue with KHT management and they are ready to take the bookings for Punto Abarth.

If you are keen to take the Punto Abarth, let me know. But, I don't deal with their discounts, price or whatever. I can just help with booking part only.

If you need any more help, you may feel free to contact me.

Regards
Raaj.

Last edited by Wildy : 26th August 2017 at 22:06.
Wildy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 06:00   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Thanks I checked with the Fiat support before. I specifically asked whether they have black Abarth Punto or not. For every question, the customer support personal want me to check with Dealer. He is tight lipped even for a colour availability leave alone pricing, waiting period and other details.

While I agree the call to the customer care was pathetic, and their response could have been better.
However in terms of stock availability, I don't think the CS would have access to this information. I know (for FIAT) that there is a weekly / fortnightly stock report shared with the dealers, from where we would know the colour options and waiting time based on the inventory.

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:45   #553
BHPian

I don't want to hijack this thread for my personal needs but updating the latest info so that any potential Abarth Punto buyers in Bangalore may benefit.

Today I have called KHT agencies, Bangalore and the person informed me that Abarth is not in production but he noted down my number and promised me that he will call back once it is available. I was also specific about black colour only. Adding to that, he informed me that Jeep production is in full swing and hence Abarth Punto is not produced. FCA may or may not produce it this month. He is not sure on that part.

Once available, he said I can book it for Rs 25,000 with a waiting period of 25 days and yes it will be 2017 manufactured only.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 16:00   #554
BHPian

Had booked an Abarth Punto (MY2017) on 2nd of August 2017 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post4251816) . Was told to expect delivery by 15th September. But now I am being told that no Abarths were made in August. The next production run is apparently scheduled for "end of September", hence delivery in "mid October". A little frustrating. But then, I guess one has to be patient if interested in acquiring a car that sells in single digits.

In order to have something to think and do about during the extended wait, I seek opinions from owners / fans on the following:

1. I intend to get rid of all the red decals except for the side stripes. Also wish to lose the red on the fog lamp moldings. Here are the options that I am considering:
a. Use black (or white) vinyl wrapping over the existing moldings. Not sure if the wraps will "stick" given the angles and curvatures.
b. Use Plastidip. However, I have doubts about how long this will last.
c. Buy spare chrome moldings (regular Punto), get them painted in black (or white) and replace the red ones with the painted ones. Not sure if it is possible to buy moldings independently of the bumpers. Also I suspect painting over chrome is not going to be simple task. I wonder if the chrome moldings are plastic or metal based and if that makes a difference to the process of painting over them.
Which of these approaches do you think would work best?

2. The 2017 Abarth Punto is said to come with a GPS enabled, touchscreen based AVN system which I think will be the same as the one in the Urban Cross, Avventura, facelifted Linea and Powertech Punto. Can anyone share details about this AVN / ICE setup?
a. How many speakers? How is the sound quality?
b. Does the AVN unit have a pre-out for adding an Amp?
c. Does the AVN unit support a rear-view parking camera input?

(Mods, I am not sure if this post belongs here or in the "I Booked my Car" thread. Please shift if necessary)

Last edited by cogWheel : 15th September 2017 at 16:05.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 17:06   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Had booked an Abarth Punto (MY2017) on 2nd of August 2017 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post4251816) . Was told to expect delivery by 15th September. But now I am being told that no Abarths were made in August. The next production run is apparently scheduled for "end of September", hence delivery in "mid October". A little frustrating. But then, I guess one has to be patient if interested in acquiring a car that sells in single digits.
Congratulations on booking a beautiful car. It is definitely worth the wait. With the Compass manufacturing in full swing, Abarth will be on a low Priority I guess.

Quote:
In order to have something to think and do about during the extended wait, I seek opinions from owners / fans on the following:

1. I intend to get rid of all the red decals except for the side stripes. Also wish to lose the red on the fog lamp moldings. Here are the options that I am considering:
a. Use black (or white) vinyl wrapping over the existing moldings. Not sure if the wraps will "stick" given the angles and curvatures.
b. Use Plastidip. However, I have doubts about how long this will last.
c. Buy spare chrome moldings (regular Punto), get them painted in black (or white) and replace the red ones with the painted ones. Not sure if it is possible to buy moldings independently of the bumpers. Also I suspect painting over chrome is not going to be simple task. I wonder if the chrome moldings are plastic or metal based and if that makes a difference to the process of painting over them.
Which of these approaches do you think would work best?
IMO, you haven't listed the simplest of all...those red fog lamp surrounds are not painted. they are Vinyls from the factory itself. All you need to do is remove bumper, remove those fog lamp surrounds, and remove the red vinyl. Go through the below quoted posts and you have a good reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
I got the stripes removed from a local sticker shop. It took him a solid 2 hours to remove everything.
Quote:
Removed the stripes and got the tail lamps slightly smoked. This is how she looks now:
Quote:
As I said earlier, I tried to get the red housings wrapped black but failed cause its hard to wrap the housings when attached to the bumper. I need to figure out a way to remove the housings without breaking them

However if you want to keep those housings for using at a later stage, buying separate housings (which is possible) and getting it painted is the best option because:
1. I don't think you get chrome housing, you get only black housings on which you should get chrome or any other colour painted.
2. Even if we assume that it is already finished in chrome (it is a plastic part by the way), It is not difficult for an automotive paint shop to paint it in any otehr colour you want.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks