Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2018, 08:41   #616
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats. Good to see that you got the car finally after long wait. Were you in Mangalore few hours back at Nantoor circle? I had spotted brand new Abarth there .
Thanks Naren! Yes, that must have been my car. I was driving in the vicinity at around that time.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 11:39   #617

Regarding Abarth Punto production doubts, I think they might be unfounded. Landmark seems to be doing a good job in marketing (at least the 2018 model) around Delhi NCR. The sales guy got the TD car to the Landmark Gurgaon showroom all the way from their Motinagar one in Delhi within hours, on my call!

Did a TD on Wednesday (again after it’s first launch on 2015), and was left smiling throughout the day!

Have booked the car yesterday, with the promised delivery being between June 15th to 20th. Thus fulfilling a three year long dream! (Went for a Thar back then).

The experience with the dealership in so far has been damn smooth, hope it remains so in the future as well.
PrasV is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 13:38   #618
BHPian

Wow, heartiest congratulations brother. You are one rare breed who still listens to your heart. You'll be smiling through the ownership experience.

One question, would the car be in stock or they'll be manufacturing few cars?
Old 1st June 2018, 14:15   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Wow, heartiest congratulations brother. You are one rare breed who still listens to your heart
Thanks! It’s either that or maybe I take pleasure in doing what everyone around me says not to!

I called up the sales rep to check your query, he says it’s in stock. One change in 2018 version being there is a touchscreen console now. Unable to recall if there was any other difference the sales rep was informing me about between the 2017 TD model and the 2018 one. Maybe a parking sensor as well, but no clue! I know what am buying it for so, didn’t hear with intent.
Old 2nd June 2018, 16:07   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasV View Post
...One change in 2018 version being there is a touchscreen console now. Unable to recall if there was any other difference the sales rep was informing me about between the 2017 TD model and the 2018 one. Maybe a parking sensor as well, but no clue! I know what am buying it for so, didn’t hear with intent.
The 5 inch Touchsreen Unit with Map My India Navigation was introduced in 2017. Also the storage bin over the central AC vents loses its lid. No other change compared 2015-16 cars. I can confirm that there are no parking sensors.

Enjoy your car (and start saving for petrol )

Last edited by cogWheel : 2nd June 2018 at 16:15.
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:17   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasV View Post

The experience with the dealership in so far has been damn smooth, hope it remains so in the future as well.

Hi PrasV, Congratulations on your booking. What is the on road price and the advance booking amount for the car?

I had visited Landmark, Gurgaon when Jeep Compass was launched and found the staff very cordial and helpful.
Old 7th June 2018, 01:30   #622
Senior - BHPian

My family needs a new small car and by some odd twisting and turning of events, we have pretty much zero'ed in on the Abarth Punto. Few things to note since our last new car purchase, if I thought cars were expensive back then, boy are they expensive these days also never thought a car from nearly 2 generations (7 years being the average lifecycle of a car model) ago, would be in the contention beating the latest hotsellers like the Hyundai Creta just goes to show that cars are becoming more and more diluted these days and we are slowly reaching a point where they are pretty much just 'appliances'. Seriously as long as a car from nearly 14 years ago has enough space and the latest bluetooth telephony on it, what have these new Balenos, Cretas, Yari got over it?

Anyway, current situation is that I am getting a 1lac discount on black 2017 car that the dealer has in stock. Should I go for it? Have they changed anything from 2017 to the current lot? The salesman confirmed that the 2017 black car which they have in stock, comes with a tiny 5inch touchscreen as compared to the test drive car (I would rather not have that silly little gaudy looking touchscreen but I guess a newer car is better than my choice of head unit ). Should I haggle for more than a 1 lac discount? Given the abysmal sales, do you folks think the dealer would oblige? The 1 lac discount was offered on initial inquiry with the manager itself.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th June 2018 at 01:32.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 01:39   #623
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
My family needs a new small car and by some odd twisting and turning of events, we have pretty much zero'ed in on the Abarth Punto. Few things to note since our last new car purchase, if I thought cars were expensive back then, boy are they expensive these days
You should get more discount. 1L only covers some of the depreciation 6 mths into 2018. Try for 50k more.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 02:12   #624
BHPian

S

Quote:
Should I haggle for more than a 1 lac discount?
Absolutely. It's a nonmoving inventory. Check the month as well. You can negotiate a better discount on June 2017 car than a December 2017 car. Moreover, check whether it was lying in the warehouse or used as a demo/display car. Along with negotiating on the discount also try to get an extended warranty and RSA. I would also recommend getting the consumables (oils) changed if it has been sitting for a very long time.

Also, check the health of Battery and wiper blades.

Since you have already decided this might not mean much - do check the spare part costs of the Abarth. The components in the Tjet engined cars are much more expensive and tedious to source than the other Puntos and Lineas.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 02:28   #625
Senior - BHPian

Re: S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
You can negotiate a better discount on June 2017 car than a December 2017 car.
Will check on that what would you reckon the ideal discount would be for a june car vs a november/december car?

Quote:
Moreover, check whether it was lying in the warehouse or used as a demo/display car.
Warehouse. How would you say this would affect its value?

Quote:
Along with negotiating on the discount also try to get an extended warranty and RSA. I would also recommend getting the consumables (oils) changed if it has been sitting for a very long time.
What is RSA? When I enquired about extended warranty, I was told that I have to purchase that at the service center. I was in a rush at the time so did not ask any further questions so I was not given a quote on extended warranty and what period of extended warranty I can opt for. I anyway tend to replace the oil and oil filter after the first 1000kms in any brand new vehicle or one that's just gone through an engine rebuild.

Quote:
Since you have already decided this might not mean much - do check the spare part costs of the Abarth. The components in the Tjet engined cars are much more expensive and tedious to source than the other Puntos and Lineas.
Are you talking about wearable components? Or are you saying that the car might be so unreliable that I need to look into the cost of other major components as well? The Abarth Punto is the only Fiat under consideration everything else feels under-powered, so if you could elaborate on your bad experiences with the t-jet motor, that would be very helpful

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th June 2018 at 02:43.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:39   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My family needs a new small car and by some odd twisting and turning of events, we have pretty much zero'ed in on the Abarth Punto.
Why an Abarth? There are so many up to date and modern options for you out there. VW's GT Tsi, Suzuki Baleno Turbo (1.2NA not bad either) or the new Ford Freestyle diesel.

As a past T Jet owner, the motor is the least of your worries. In fact, nothing fell apart on my Linea in 5 years I owned the car. Then again, I must admit that I took very good care of the car. One thing that you most definitely want to do is throw out the stock IC. It is hopeless. A few hard, redlining sprints and the engine gasps for air.

Anyway; the choice is yours. Yupp; cars have become really expensive. I recall paying 9.9on road for a top spec Linea T Jet (post 1lac discount). I think its around 12l on road today.

Haggle more. They will reduce the price. Even if it is only 10-15k, it is something. The car is a non mover. The dealer would rather have the car out of the yard than just sit there.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th June 2018 at 03:44.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 04:24   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Why an Abarth? There are so many up to date and modern options for you out there. VW's GT Tsi, Suzuki Baleno Turbo (1.2NA not bad either) or the new Ford Freestyle diesel.
Absolutely pathetic rearseat is what takes the polo tsi out of the contest, the only Maruti I'd be willing to spend big money on is the SCross so that takes the Baleno out since it feels too flimsy and more like an appliance built for the kind of people who replace their car every 3 to 5 years with the next new car with a big chrome grille and prejoectors or something like that. We tend to keep our cars for a very long time. Diesels are just not my thing and the rest of my family also doesn't like diesels for various different reasons. Also the new 3cyl dragon motors simply don't do the trick IMO. I feel very bad paying around 10 lacs for a car and not having effortless highway performance. Trust me, I never expected that the Abarth would be the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
As a past T Jet owner, the motor is the least of your worries. In fact, nothing fell apart on my Linea in 5 years I owned the car. Then again, I must admit that I took very good care of the car. One thing that you most definitely want to do is throw out the stock IC. It is hopeless. A few hard, redlining sprints and the engine gasps for air.
What do you mean by the IC?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th June 2018 at 04:26.
Old 7th June 2018, 05:01   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel very bad paying around 10 lacs for a car and not having effortless highway performance. Trust me, I never expected that the Abarth would be the one.
Agree to all your points. The Polo can be considered as a car for two at best.

If you can spend Abarth money, why not put in a little more and get the Honda City. Hands down the best NA motor there is in the segment. I hear it is a hoot to drive too.

The reason I say this is the words "Abarth" and "Family Car" don't quite fit the bill. You may have other ideas:-).

Quote:
What do you mean by the IC?
Inter cooler. FM Keroo and PatchyBoy documented this extensively. Forget an Abarth, the normal T Jet motor in the Linea changes character with just an IC swap. It seems they have used the same diesel mjd IC for the T Jet motor and this starves the engine of cool air. I can't find Keroo's thread sharing the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...nea-t-jet.html

Do note that none of this is a problem if you do blasts down the highway. The IC gets heat soaked only when you do back to back drag runs and continuous red lining. I have experienced this on my car with just one hard run and on a very hot day. Felt as if the turbo had gone into self protect mode.

I lived with the flawed IC for the 5 years I owned the car. There were times I felt I lost power. Had I known it was the IC, I would have swapped it out a long time ago. Even if the power and economy gains are not much, it is nice to know your engine is breathing denser and cooler air.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th June 2018 at 05:03.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 08:37   #629
BHPian

@Ishaanlan : Bro why don't you look for a 2018 fresh car out from the factory. Not saying that the 2017 car would be bad but if you intend to keep her for long why not get a fresh car! Do note nothing has changed in the abarth in the last one year.

Regarding the touchscreen it's the same unit you would find across the current fiats. It's tiny and laggy but quite legible under sunlight.

Fiat isn't providing extended warranty for the past 2+ years. Also in the extended warranty not a lot is covered. Moreover, if you are planning for some mods then 3 year warranty window will do just fine.
Old 7th June 2018, 10:14   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My family needs a new small car and by some odd twisting and turning of events, we have pretty much zero'ed in on the Abarth Punto.
Few pointers that may help you.

Your relationship with the car will depend solely on the the competency of the mechanic. That being said, if you stand with your cars when servicing, have basic knowledge about the components etc. and how a car is serviced, you should be OK. I am fortunate enough to know my SA since 2009. That said, since the service interval is once in a year, you can go to a good service center and make an holiday out of it (PS. When I brought my Abarth, there was no service center in the entire of Mumbai region).

That said, now for the positives. Since you want a family car, I will recommend you to take extensive test drives with someone sitting at the back. The reason is the suspension is harder than you might be used to - but it is a boon on bad roads and highways. the vertical movement is reduced, and some owners complaint about excessive body roll. The body roll can be attributed to taking a corner faster than usual since the car allows it. Drive at normal speeds and you should not get any body roll.

• The car is strictly a four seater on longer journeys.
• FE varies from 10 in the city to 14-16 on the highways. ~Pedal to the metal will see it go down to single digits.
• GC is not much of a concern. Despite being lower that the regular Puntos, it doesn't scrap anywhere
• Absolutely no storage space inside the car. You can barely put in one 1L bottle and a couple of smaller bottles.

Quoting myself from my ownership review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

Get into the drivers seat, belt up, start the car and you realise this is no ordinary Punto. Release the handbrake and slot into the first gear and slightly dab the accelerator to get moving. Though you are not just moving, instead you are gripping the steering wheel with both hands and uttering an expletive due to the unexpected acceleration. And you have not yet exited your housing society. Your day has started out to be good. On the way to office usually you had to plan over takes but now you just point the car and press accelerator. It's just effortless. After reaching the office, you will search for the farthest parking spot just to spend some more time in the car. Boss has asked you to stay late? No problem, you will make a face at boss, but inside your head you will be overjoyed about empty roads at night !

But let me further elaborate why it is such a joy to drive. Keep aisle the 145Bhp motor for a while and let's see some other features that are equally responsible for the sheer driving pleasure ( :P) . First and foremost is the steering wheel - perfectly contoured and that awesome feedback. You can exactly know what the wheels are upto. It feels a tad heavy at parking speeds, compared to the electric ones out there, but you won't mind it. Next up are the 4 wheel independent disk brakes. Few people understand that just giving a powerful engine is not enough - you must provide equally good stopping power. And I'm happy to report that the brakes are more than sufficient and inspire confidence to push the car and brake late. They take a few 100 kms to get used to, but once you learn their characteristics you will appreciate them when a situation demands it. Third is the suspension. While GC is lowered to 155mm compared to normal Punto, it is more than sufficient for our roads. Yes, it's not an off road vehicle but as long as you are careful about where you go she won't scrape. At highway speeds, the suspension becomes even better. Bad roads are eaten up for breakfast. The faster you go the more better the ride becomes. Straight like stability is superb. Body roll is minimal (compared to the regular Punto). The ability of this car to mask high speeds is phenomenal. Not keeping an eye on the speedo on highway will see you reaching high 3 digit speeds easily.

At signals, you can shame cars costing thrice the money or more. On sharp curves, the way she sticks to the road will make you think that the tyres are adhesive in nature. This car is made for highway cruising. 90 kmph comes in at 2050 rpm in the 5th gear. Overtaking doesn't require downshifts. The engine emits a nice growl post 2.5k rpm. Perhaps the only thing laking was a nice sounding exhaust, but I suppose that isn't a deal breaker. On the other hand it makes the car more family friendly. Dad can drive her without getting annoyed. Remove the stickers and you have a nice sleeper car. Only the sharp eyed enthusiast will be able to identify a non sticker-ed Abarth Punto.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed