Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 12:41   #856
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Attachment 1892662

At 11,000 kms and counting, the car does deserve this upgrade.

Work done so far:
  • Bonalume short throw shifter
  • Eibach pro kit lowering springs
Hi Sidindica,

Keen to know your experience driving the car with the aforesaid mods.

Has the short shifter improved the shift action and made it less rubbery? Any plans to swap the clutch?

Also, the Abarth Punto's ride - handling balance is unparalleled, in my opinion. Have the lowering springs compromised ride quality in any way?

Cheers!
Suhaas
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 13:07   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Hi Sidindica,

Keen to know your experience driving the car with the aforesaid mods.

Has the short shifter improved the shift action and made it less rubbery? Any plans to swap the clutch?

Also, the Abarth Punto's ride - handling balance is unparalleled, in my opinion. Have the lowering springs compromised ride quality in any way?

Cheers!
Suhaas
I can not comment on this particular car but i have driven lowered abarth couple of times and frankly i wont be able to live with the lowered suspension. Unless and until road has very good surface, the car will bounce after certain speed. The body roll reduces a lot and car is lot more predictable in handling.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 13:54   #858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I can not comment on this particular car but i have driven lowered abarth couple of times and frankly i wont be able to live with the lowered suspension. Unless and until road has very good surface, the car will bounce after certain speed. The body roll reduces a lot and car is lot more predictable in handling.
I have installed Eibach springs on my car, and they aren't too bad. Yes, the ride is bouncy but only a little, since they are progressive springs. H&R lowering springs make the ride absolutely unbearable.

I wanted to know what Eibach Pro Kit springs feel like in a Punto.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:37   #859
BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20190517_155607.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-img_20190707_164936.jpg
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-picsart_070801.53.51.jpg

Few pics of my ride - Anastasia .

I have been using this beauty strictly on highways and boy-o-boy she is bliss. Car is already running on 205 Conti from day one. Few months back got the ceramic coating done and Now plan is to upgrade the speakers in next few months.

Last edited by me@fiat : 3rd October 2019 at 15:57.
me@fiat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:39   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
Few pics from my side.
Glass shine Mitesh. Beautiful machine and immaculately maintained
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:56   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Glass shine Mitesh. Beautiful machine and immaculately maintained
@VWAllstar thanks buddy. By the way i am not Mitesh.
Mitesh's handle is "camitesh"
me@fiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 12:12   #862
BHPian

I am getting this Car Protection Warning light since morning. The car starts as usual. Is it OK to drive with this warning light?
Is there a solution for me to try at home or should I take it to the service center? Why am I getting this warning light and how is the service center going to resolve this.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review-abarth-car-protection-warning-light.jpg  

Old 20th October 2019, 12:37   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed View Post
I am getting this Car Protection Warning light since morning. The car starts as usual. Is it OK to drive with this warning
The car immobilizer warning light (most probably) is a sign of a weak battery. Happened with our erstwhile Punto as well, changing the battery solved the problem. Even in our case, the car was cranking properly.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 20th October 2019 at 12:46.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 15:55   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed View Post
I am getting this Car Protection Warning light since morning. The car starts as usual. Is it OK to drive with this warning light?Is there a solution for me to try at home or should I take it to the service center? Why am I getting this warning light and how is the service center going to resolve this.
Check battery voltage on engine crank using multi meter. It should not drop below 10V. If you don't have a multi meter, visit nearby battery store or a mechanic. The warning light should be intermittent if it's a weak battery problem. Any other warnings like ABS when you start the engine?

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 20th October 2019 at 15:56.
Moto_Hill is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 22:18   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
The car immobilizer warning light (most probably) is a sign of a weak battery. Happened with our erstwhile Punto as well, changing the battery solved the problem. Even in our case, the car was cranking properly.
+1 to this observation.

It is definitely a sign of weak battery. It happened with my Punto as well. In addition to this, I also used to get airbag failure and ABS failure warning sometimes on turning on the ignition. Car was cranking normally and starting up.

I consulted the FASS and the service advisor told me it's because of a weak battery. He did run a battery test, which showed good health for a six year old unit! I didn't trust him entirely on this, but somehow agreed with him, lest he open up wires to the display and I land up with other problems. (happens with Fiats at FASS!)

One day the battery goes dead! After replacing the battery, there were no more warnings. It was the culprit after all.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th October 2019 at 11:12. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Neur0t0xin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 10:32   #866
BHPian

Thanks chiranjit, Moto_Hill & Neur0t0xin for your suggestions. The battery was the culprit. Checked battery voltage on engine crank using multi meter, it was 8V.

I used to get airbag and ABS failure warning sometimes. The immobilizer warning light went off after the car was driven for few kilometers.

However, decided to change the 3 year old stock Exide Battery with Amaron. Now no more warning signs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th October 2019 at 11:12. Reason: Spacing fir readability
nazeer_ahamed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 13:22   #867
BHPian

Guys, just a question since I tend to compare the Polo MPI and the Abarth which I use. Though the Abarth weighs a good ~210 kilos higher, the build and the thud of the Polo isn't felt while I'm closing the door, boot or the bonnet.

Where is all the weight consumed then

Also the small possible dents are warded off in the Polo while the Abarth suffers them when with more or less similar impact.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th October 2019 at 15:43. Reason: Spacing
Old 25th October 2019, 03:17   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroMachine View Post
Where is all the weight consumed then

I have not owned an Abarth so cannot comment.

As a past owner of a Linea T Jet+, the solid feel is very much there and in fact feels even more secure compared to a Vento, in the way it sounds when you shut the door or boot lid. Bonnet less so. There is a slight clatter when the windows are part or fully rolled down. They are not as secure on the window rails as VW causing a slight noise.

The weight is coming from everywhere. Right from the chassis to the body. You are mostly likely going to need more effort closing the door, boot lid on a Fiat than a VW, if you ignore the 3 stage action on the VW which causes some resistance to shut the door.

Excess weight does come in the way of the cars performance though. On the plus side, the car rides flat on pretty much any surface whereas a VW Polo/Vento makes you a little nervous as speeds rise. It is a more comfort oriented suspension set up.

Overall quality is superior on the VW. Fiat imported the dashboard for the pre face lift Linea and if I am not wrong, on the face lift version of the Linea and Punto too(Same dash board on your Abarth). It was a definite step up but not quite VW grade in some areas.

Tiny kinks in the metal were a problem on my car too as a result of stone strikes and whatever else. Nothing severe though.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th October 2019 at 03:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 07:48   #869
BHPian

A Query to fellow petrol heads here.

I am in the market for a sub 10 lakh rupee car - mostly a hatchback. If things fall in place, the purchase should happen in the next 3-4 months. I am rooting for a pure driver's car and have the Tiago JTP on my list as well.

Considering the direction that Fiat is headed in India, is Abarth Punto still a good buy? (i.e if stocks still last and im hoping to)

Last edited by TangoSierra : 1st December 2019 at 07:54.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:19   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoSierra View Post
A Query to fellow petrol heads here.

I am in the market for a sub 10 lakh rupee car - mostly a hatchback. If things fall in place, the purchase should happen in the next 3-4 months. I am rooting for a pure driver's car and have the Tiago JTP on my list as well.

Considering the direction that Fiat is headed in India, is Abarth Punto still a good buy? (i.e if stocks still last and im hoping to)
My suggestion would be to go find yourself a pre owned abarth . Theres quiet a few in the market nd you'd save plenty too plus fulfil your wish to own a drivers car .

I have seen 2018 , 2017 Abarth models for as low s 7.9 lakhs to 6.5 lakhs . FInd yourself a good one and you'd have a good 4 lakhs for Petrol .

Fiats are not gadgetry heavy so any FNG would service them a lot of specialized FNGs now even servicing the notorious Germans , am sure they can handle a turbocharged Fiat .
gautamkhadse is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed