Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 17:34   #1726
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
Same thing happened to my car and floor too would vibrate. I got balancing and alignment done. They cross fit the tires first, balance and then align them. I noticed a good improvement in ride quality even at slow speeds and also no more vibrations at higher speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Yeah I used to face the same problem and it happens exactly after 120kmph. It is a wheel balancing issue, I had to get it redone at the showroom and it was fine.
As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, I am facing the exact issue after 2nd service. During the service, the wheels were rotated but WA and WB were not done.
Strangely off late, I feel the steering becoming ridiculously light, all of a sudden, at 110-120 kmph range and I have no control whatsoever on the car. I lose confidence at this point. Really not sure whether I can attribute this behavior also to WA and WB. Experts can help me, please.

5k km on the odo and a 9 lakh rupee car behaves like this.
Just to reiterate, this was not the case before the wheel rotation.
Old 14th February 2017, 19:12   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
As I have mentioned in my earlier posts, I am facing the exact issue after 2nd service. During the service, the wheels were rotated but WA and WB were not done.
Strangely off late, I feel the steering becoming ridiculously light, all of a sudden, at 110-120 kmph range and I have no control whatsoever on the car. I lose confidence at this point. Really not sure whether I can attribute this behavior also to WA and WB. Experts can help me, please.

I always make sure that alignment and balancing are done every time when tires are rotated. Generally, prefer doing this from outside shops than trusting ASS. Take the car to a tire expert and get it checked and remember to check the air pressure regularly.

Just 5k on odometer, it’s still a virgin and a peppy car to drive
Scorpion 10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 10:17   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Strangely off late, I feel the steering becoming ridiculously light, all of a sudden, at 110-120 kmph range and I have no control whatsoever on the car. I lose confidence at this point.
If the feeling of lightness is only at the centre position which requires constant input from you in a straight-line but is ok in the corners, then it is not the case of wheel rotation gone wrong or wheel balancing and alignment not done, it is the actual way in which the steering of the Baleno behaves which has now come to its own after the 2nd service and 5k km mark.

I faced the same thing on my swift and as a remedial measure I tried everything anybody can think of, WA, WB, WR, including upgrading to Bridgestone AR20 tyres with an upsize, re-calibration of the steering. Nothing worked to completely eradicate the problem but it all contributed to make the car hold its line at high speeds with constant inputs from me.

Nonetheless, if the problem with your Baleno is more serious than just the dead centre, then you must get it checked as per the suggestions of the experts.
The AG 6167 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 07:09   #1729
BHPian

Planning to change the Apollo Alnacs to switch to softer tyres. Tyre size is 195/55/R16. Do not intend to change size. Please suggest options. Michelin does not have the size. Bridgestone has B290 but it is also available for budget cars 145 mm onwards so not very sure how comfortable it might be.
Old 16th February 2017, 07:19   #1730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
Planning to change the Apollo Alnacs to switch to softer tyres. Tyre size is 195/55/R16. Do not intend to change size. Please suggest options. Michelin does not have the size. Bridgestone has B290 but it is also available for budget cars 145 mm onwards so not very sure how comfortable it might be.
Do have a look at Continental tires. My friend recently changed his Punto's tires to continentals(probably the same size as yours), and he is very happy with his choice.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 16th February 2017 at 07:24.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 08:11   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone has B290 but it is also available for budget cars 145 mm onwards so not very sure how comfortable it might be.
I have them on my Alto. They are medium hard compound. Steering weighed up significantly post the tyre change from JK Tyres to B290. Good for handling, long lasting and the tyre does survive some serious thrashing. But, do not expect an improvement in ride quality.

If you are looking to improve the ride quality, I would not suggest anything beyond Michelin XM1, Yokohama Earth1 or Apollo Alnac.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:49   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest Continental MC5. I swapped them on my Ritz last week and have driven close to 200kms. I find them really good.

And, its available in 195/55 R16 too
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 16:09   #1733
BHPian

So, the Premium Urban Blue shade on Baleno & S-Cross.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-baleno-zeta-cvt-rear1.jpg

And, that's the front view

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-baleno-zeta-cvt1.jpg
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 20:42   #1734
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2017 at 15:04.
Scorpion 10 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th February 2017, 21:28   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
I feel the steering becoming ridiculously light, all of a sudden, at 110-120 kmph range and I have no control whatsoever on the car. I lose confidence at this point. Really not sure whether I can attribute this behavior also to WA and WB. Experts can help me, please.

It does sound like the infamous dead centre of maruti steering. Its the same case in almost all maruti steering. Its there in the swift as well. The steering suddenly feels light once you cross the stated speed and the confidence does drop for someone who's new to the vehicle
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 22:03   #1736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely off late, I feel the steering becoming ridiculously light, all of a sudden, at 110-120 kmph range and I have no control whatsoever on the car. I lose confidence at this point.
For once, check the Air Pressure too. If already set to recommended number, reduce that by 1 or 2 and try it out.

If you are only witnessing this "off late" as you mention, it's something else and not just the steering.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 22:46   #1737
BHPian

After much research I have zeroed down the baleno Zeta petrol and figo aspire diesel (trend). Though two have different characteristics I want opinion from fellow owners on the below points:

1. How is the rear seating comfort. This is very important as it will be occupied by my mom, wife and 2 year old daughter. Added to that we have some worst roads at our location.

2. How is the car aging ? Rattles, squeaks ?

I can think of these two right now which are very important evaluators.

Please suggest
Old 17th February 2017, 07:33   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I have them on my Alto. They are medium hard compound. Steering weighed up significantly post the tyre change from JK Tyres to B290. Good for handling, long lasting and the tyre does survive some serious thrashing. But, do not expect an improvement in ride quality.

If you are looking to improve the ride quality, I would not suggest anything beyond Michelin XM1, Yokohama Earth1 or Apollo Alnac.

I swapped my Apollo Alnacs with Michelin Primacy 195/60/R16. It has made a whole world of difference. Wonder why I took my car out of the showroom without the switch and why I was driving on the Apollos for 3 months. Very satisfied with the switch.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:38   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
After much research I have zeroed down the baleno Zeta petrol and figo aspire diesel (trend). Though two have different characteristics I want opinion from fellow owners on the below points:

1. How is the rear seating comfort. This is very important as it will be occupied by my mom, wife and 2 year old daughter. Added to that we have some worst roads at our location.

2. How is the car aging ? Rattles, squeaks ?

I can think of these two right now which are very important evaluators.

Please suggest
The cars you have selected seem to be the best in that price range. I too had finalized these same cars in December 2016 post which I bought the Baleno.

1. Rear seat comfort is good in both the cars. The Aspire's seat is a bit wider & more supportive. While the Baleno scores on better knee room.

2. Baleno is from Maruti, so I expect rattles to appear over period of time. While the Aspire will mask those, if you consider build quality, the Aspire is better then Baleno.

So, both are equally good, but the conclusion is very simple. If you want a Petrol car, Baleno is the one you should opt for. If Diesel, Aspire is the best choice.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 10:47   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion 10 View Post
I always make sure that alignment and balancing are done every time when tires are rotated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post
If the feeling of lightness is only at the centre position which requires constant input from you in a straight-line but is ok in the corners... 5k km mark.

Friends, Thanks for all the inputs and insights.
Got the WB and WA done at MASS yesterday and drove the car today to test it. I can feel the difference and in a good way too. Vibrations are gone and the car feels more planted at legal speeds just to the north of 100kmph. I regret my decision of not going for WA/WB as at MASS as soon as the wheel rotation was done

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For once, check the Air Pressure too. If already set to recommended number, reduce that by 1 or 2 and try it out.
If you are only witnessing this "off late" as you mention, it's something else and not just the steering.
Interesting thing here. I had experienced this "no control" drive on the infamous NICE road ( I am sure you would know of a separate thread here in our forum on the NICE road engineering), during my commute to office in last 2-3 weeks.

Incidentally today, part of the NICE road is being relaid and that part of the road is really fresh without any bumps or potholes. The car, driven today after WA/WB on these road, held up very nicely without a hint of bumpiness which had bothered me earlier. . Not sure what caused the problem in car earlier- if it was the wheel balancing issue or the NICE road itself.

Quote:
I swapped my Apollo Alnacs with Michelin Primacy 195/60/R16. It has made a whole world of difference.
The standard tyre size is 195/55R16 if I remember correctly. 5% increase would result in ~19 mm increase in the side wall profile. Overall height of the tyre would raise by ~4 cm. Wonder what effect it would have on the overall performance. If experts could throw some light on this topic. Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Most Viewed