Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2017, 20:53   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Have taken the outer ring road and drove good 67 KM. The car is a different animal after 100. The steering became very light, cabin become very noisy with the wind which was unbearable for some time. The overall ride quality is for sure scaring and will rob your confidence as mentioned by speed.demon.

The bottom line is, you will enjoy the car only <100 and need to be very careful post the century mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
The ride quality was quite good and the car feels planted. Not European good, but good by Japanese standards. Someone used to driving say, a Punto will not like the Baleno's high speed behavior.
It could be better, but it's not terrifying.
I use my Baleno regularly to travel between Mumbai and Pune. I have to drive above 100 mark on most occasions and I settle down between 110-120kmh usually ( ofcourse excluding ghat section ).

I have never felt insecure at these speeds and feel car is stable till maybe 120, after which it starts feeling a bit light.

I have touched higher speeds for a brief period few times and never realized it until I saw speedo. Even at that speed it was not scary.

Mine is Zeta Petrol.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th July 2017 at 22:05. Reason: References to speeding removed.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 19:21   #2177
BHPian

My Baleno '15 1.2 Zeta got the suspension replaced under warranty in May during the 40k service. Ride has shown a marginal improvement. As a bonus a irritating tick noise that was there when driving over rough road has totally disappeared.
Took a test drive of the RS Baleno which in comparison felt very softly sprung in the rear. Good for slow speed driving. With the stiff rear ride and a proper rev happy 4cyl engine with lenear power delivery i think my car deserves the RS Badge much more than the phoney 1.0 'econo-boost'.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:20   #2178
BHPian

Got the Apple car play infotainment system installed in my Zeta CVT. Navigation system activated too. Loving it. The dealer has placed order for the reverse camera which should be received in a day or two post which full functionality will be activated. Just the lights remain which I can do without. Next project is to get the Baleno RS grille installed.
bimbrahw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:23   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbrahw View Post
Got the Apple car play infotainment system installed in my Zeta CVT. Navigation system activated too. Loving it. The dealer has placed order for the reverse camera which should be received in a day or two post which full functionality will be activated. Just the lights remain which I can do without. Next project is to get the Baleno RS grille installed.
Could you please post complete details on how you procured and installed the OEM Alpha ICE on your Zeta CVT?

This valuable piece of information would be immensely helpful to other BHP'ians.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:28   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
It isn't that bad. What I meant is, the light steering is a bit lazy and you will be left wishing there was more feedback and weight to it. When you're doing triple digit speeds you don't want a vague response from the steering.

The ride quality was quite good and the car feels planted. Not European good, but good by Japanese standards. Someone used to driving say, a Punto will not like the Baleno's high speed behavior.

It could be better, but it's not terrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I use my Baleno regularly to travel between Mumbai and Pune. I have to drive above 100 mark on most occasions and I settle down between 110-120kmh usually ( ofcourse excluding ghat section ).

I have never felt insecure at these speeds and feel car is stable till maybe 120, after which it starts feeling a bit light.

I have touched higher speeds for a brief period few times and never realized it until I saw speedo. Even at that speed it was not scary.

Mine is Zeta Petrol.
My Bad, i should have been precise. Yes, the car is good untill 100 to 110 and plus that I felt the steering wasn't holding up. I had to hold it firmly. Otherwise it's a beautiful car no doubt.

Quote:
Can you please share the costs. Is it the exact system from the Alpha variant ? Any wiring modifications or just plug and play ? I might give it a serious consideration if the costs work out.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:32   #2181
BHPian

Approached an authorised dealer for getting the same done. A good nexa electrician can do the installation. The system costs 59k, navigation card costs 9k, antenna for navigation costs Rs.1300. Installation time is about 1 hour. They will open your instrument cluster and the stereo assembly for installing. Still thinking what to do about the old system. Am told it costs about 15k and have told the people I know to help me sell it. Install Suzuki app from Apple Store which acts as remote.
bimbrahw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 19:43   #2182
BHPian

That's exorbitant price... 70k...
Neugal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 08:56   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Approached an authorised dealer for getting the same done. A good nexa electrician can do the installation. The system costs 59k, navigation card costs 9k, antenna for navigation costs Rs.1300. Installation time is about 1 hour.
Did they install the reverse camera in the stock position inside the chrome strip?
Old 1st August 2017, 09:40   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Did they install the reverse camera in the stock position inside the chrome strip?

Yes they will. Have ordered for the same. Should be fixed by weekend.
bimbrahw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:58   #2185
BHPian

Quote:
Approached an authorised dealer for getting the same done. A good nexa electrician can do the installation. The system costs 59k, navigation card costs 9k, antenna for navigation costs Rs.1300. Installation time is about 1
Eye watering price I must say

Would have considered if it was close to the 35 to 40 K mark. I think i will go for the speakers upgrade first.

Thanks for the details
Old 1st August 2017, 16:31   #2186
BHPian

I'm still not convinced as to how Maruti could price the Alpha variant Smartplay infotainment system at 70K.

This is the latest price list (ex showroom Chennai)

Zeta CVT - 778570
Alpha CVT - 849866

So, the net difference is 71296/-

These are the additional feautures that you get or 70K more in Alpha CVT

-DRL
-Bi-Xenon Projector headlamps
-Different set of tail lamps (with LED strip)
-Reverse parking camera
-Smartplay infotainment system
-Navigation system
-Voice Command
-Smartphone connect / Apple carplay
-Remote control through smartphone app
-Vanity mirror with lights

So, from my perspective would I spend 70K just for the OEM ICE? No way, I might get Sony Touchscreen HU (XAV-AX100) that's available as Genuine NEXA accessory at 29K!
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 21:38   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Eye watering price I must say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
I'm still not convinced as to how Maruti could price the Alpha variant Smartplay infotainment system at 70K.
There needs to be rules against such kind of practices. For half the cost one can get top end Pioneer unit with all the latest cutting edge features with beefy hardware.
Old 1st August 2017, 21:48   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
There needs to be rules against such kind of practices. For half the cost one can get top end Pioneer unit with all the latest cutting edge features with beefy hardware.
Why do we need a rule? It's their product and their price, no matter how ridiculous it is. If someone doesn't think its worth it, no body can force them to buy.
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:20   #2189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
There exists a rule already. Its called common sense.

Its priced so high to ensure people buy the higher trim car instead of the accessory.
The company has no real intention to sell the HU separately. Music systems is not their primary business. Cars - is.

Having rules like "MRP", regulated prices is a direct measure of maturity of the consumer market.
Government or authorities should not have to "protect" the customers at all in these cases. When customers en-mass start rejecting overpriced products - the sellers automatically have no option but to reduce prices. Thats how a real competitive market should work. Not via protection.

We'll get there slowly I hope .
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:40   #2190
BANNED

Quote:
The system costs 59k, navigation card costs 9k, antenna for navigation costs Rs.1300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Here's the box with MRP and part number for the infotainment system:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20170411wa0002_01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks