Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 1st December 2017, 13:32   #2491
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Hi Maverick

As discussed over the PM, I am posting my car's headlight photos here. Posting them here since it will be beneficial for a wider audience.

Regarding my car's light, I find them slightly yellow in colour. Which is not same as Skoda Octavia or other high end cars which has a slight blue / white light.

I am not sure how much my phone camera captured it but it is slightly yellow in colour than the photo shows. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the photos, this really helps. So it looks like all newer models have slightly warmer output and it doesn't look like going to turn cooler over use.

Are all photos taken with high beam ON?
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:14   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
I was going through this thread trying to convince myself that baleno is a good car and all the posts are pretty valid, but I have this exact same feeling. In comparison an elite i20 for example seems to age in a far better way. It is a general observation from the sample as seen on a daily basis.
Hi Sandx , I took a test drive of the Baleno AT yesterday. I was accompanied by my family , they are also used to good build quality of our ford fiesta and a Hyundai grand i10. During the test drive within first 2 kms , everyone unanimously rejected it due to flimsy build quality and many rattles. It is far from any premium feel. I am very sad as this was the only car in our budget and mind which fits 3 people on the second row comfortably. So in our view the only usp of this car is it's good space.
Old 2nd December 2017, 20:41   #2493
BHPian

@maverickmano: I don't know that light colour changes after few min (or hours). I overlooked this. That said, almost all the Balenos I have seen on the road in the night has light with slight blue white tinge. Also the photos I have posted were low beam only. I had taken the photos as soon as I turned on the lights on the car.

@amolathalye: Test drive cars are usually abused. I experienced the same when I sat in Baleno test car. However, that is not the case with the new car. I find the Jazz and Baleno's interior has similar quality. May be Honda is degrading the quality nowadays to the same level as Maruti. That said Hyundai's interior quality is always ahead than the Japanese. I don't know about the Ford though. The USP of Maruti is trouble free motoring than anything else. Baleno is a jack of all trade car and hence there are compromises.

I was inclined to purchase i20 but two things prevented me from buying it - lacklustre petrol Engine and the lack of steering feel.

Last edited by amvj : 2nd December 2017 at 20:51.
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:30   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolathalye View Post
Hi Sandx , I took a test drive of the Baleno AT yesterday. I was accompanied by my family , they are also used to good build quality of our ford fiesta and a Hyundai grand i10. During the test drive within first 2 kms , everyone unanimously rejected it due to flimsy build quality and many rattles. It is far from any premium feel. I am very sad as this was the only car in our budget and mind which fits 3 people on the second row comfortably. So in our view the only usp of this car is it's good space.

I regularly drive my friends Baleno AT. It is a rattle fest and the suspension is a pain while driving on the notorious Bengaluru roads. Also, driving the car on highways results in higher fatigue levels and adds to your lower back stress.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:55   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
As somebody else mentioned, test drive cars are usually abused and not really well maintained. I haven't noticed any other owners on the forum specifically mention rattles as an issue, nor have I myself experienced any till now. However, my car is only 4 months and 4000 km old, so let's wait how it behaves with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
I regularly drive my friends Baleno AT. It is a rattle fest and the suspension is a pain while driving on the notorious Bengaluru roads. Also, driving the car on highways results in higher fatigue levels and adds to your lower back stress.
The suspension is tuned quite stiff undoubtedly and this in addition to the light weight of the car, makes the ride quality very sensitive to tyre pressure. Keep it at the recommended level (29 PSI) or a notch below it and the ride quality will feel quite compliant.

Regarding your comment on highway drives, I'm interested to know what causes the fatigue, because I find the car zippy enough for highway speeds and quite fun to drive on the whole.
Old 4th December 2017, 17:31   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During the test drive within first 2 kms , everyone unanimously rejected it due to flimsy build quality and many rattles.So in our view the only usp of this car is it's good space.
How much had the Test drive car done on ODO? You can try another Test drive at a separate dealership.

My car has done 14K kms and is still rattle free.
Baleno has few USP's, another being long list of features at a competitive price point.

Quote:
It is a rattle fest and the suspension is a pain while driving on the notorious Bengaluru roads.
Which year is this car from? Does his car require a suspension change?
Not sure what is causing fatigue in a AT car for you on highway, can you elaborate on that please.

Last edited by silverado : 4th December 2017 at 17:33.
Old 4th December 2017, 21:21   #2497
BHPian

Default Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

Which year is this car from? Does his car require a suspension change?

Not sure what is causing fatigue in a AT car for you on highway, can you elaborate on that please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

The suspension is tuned quite stiff undoubtedly and this in addition to the light weight of the car, makes the ride quality very sensitive to tyre pressure. Keep it at the recommended level (29 PSI) or a notch below it and the ride quality will feel quite compliant.

Regarding your comment on highway drives, I'm interested to know what causes the fatigue, because I find the car zippy enough for highway speeds and quite fun to drive on the whole.

The car is early 2016, though not sure exactly which month. The vibes do get inside the car and to the steering. Tire pressure is at 30 PSI.
I have told him to check with MASS regarding the suspension change.

Regarding fatigue, mainly it is due to the lower seating position of Baleno. The stiff suspension and the light weight of the car passes all the undulations of the road to the driver and the occupants.

We regularly drive long distances on his business, more often in his brothers Audi Q5. When Q5 is unavailable, he now prefers my Zest Revotron. Even a 200-300 kms driving stretch is a fatigue free in Zest while a Bangalore-Mysore 150 km stretch is tiring in his Baleno.
Old 4th December 2017, 23:05   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
The car is early 2016, though not sure exactly which month. The vibes do get inside the car and to the steering. Tire pressure is at 30 PSI.

Regarding fatigue, mainly it is due to the lower seating position of Baleno. The stiff suspension and the light weight of the car passes all the undulations of the road to the driver and the occupants.

We regularly drive long distances on his business, more often in his brothers Audi Q5. When Q5 is unavailable, he now prefers my Zest Revotron. Even a 200-300 kms driving stretch is a fatigue free in Zest while a Bangalore-Mysore 150 km stretch is tiring in his Baleno.
As i mentioned earlier, please set the COLD tyre pressure to 29 or even 28 PSI. The ride quality will surely improve. 30 is a tad too high especially with only 2 occupants on board.

Also, please check on the suspension replacement. Most owners who have MY2016 models have got it replaced and found a noticeable improvement in ride quality.

Regarding low seating, is this a delta automatic? The zeta and alpha come with driver seat height adjustment, and that along with steering tilt and reach adjustment ensure you can find the most comfortable driving position. Also, the dashboard is placed fairly low. So I'm unable to relate to your comment on low seating.

Lastly, the Bangalore-Mysore stretch will be a little tiring in any car IMO, due to the bad traffic, constant braking and acceleration.

It might vary between individuals but I've driven 1000 km in 2 days and didn't experience any fatigue at all!
Old 4th December 2017, 23:46   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Even a 200-300 kms driving stretch is a fatigue free in Zest while a Bangalore-Mysore 150 km stretch is tiring in his Baleno.
I second that.I Owns Baleno'15 Delta model and did a lot of highway drives. Seating position is low and the suspension doesn't help either. I did change the rear suspension under warranty since my car belongs to the early manufactured batch, but the newer lot is a marginal improvement on the prior one. Still most of the bumps and undulations easily pass on to the occupants.
Even the seat back support is not that great and add to it the poor thigh support which leaves a lot desired. I had many long trips in the old generation Figo and just love the amount of cushioning and seat comfort it provides. Even the all night drive doesn't make me feel tired which is quite opposite in Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Regarding low seating, is this a delta automatic? The zeta and alpha come with driver seat height adjustment, and that along with steering tilt and reach adjustment ensure you can find the most comfortable driving position. Also, the dashboard is placed fairly low. So I'm unable to relate to your comment on low seating.
On the contrary, I find the placement of dashboard bit high. Could be possible as it lacks the seat height adjustment.I think driver comfort could vary delta and higher models as one get more options of comfort in higher models.
Old 5th December 2017, 16:26   #2500
BHPian

Hi Silverado,

The demo car was 2.5 years old , 32000 on odo , had undergone a total suspension change during the recall.

Last edited by amolathalye : 5th December 2017 at 16:29.
Old 5th December 2017, 18:49   #2501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is early 2016
he now prefers my Zest Revotron.
If you are comparing with Zest, Baleno is bound to look bad especially the earlier 2016 models. Ask him get a suspension replacement done and there will be a noticeable difference in ride quality.

Ride quality will never match Zest even after that, but Baleno more than makes up for that on other fronts.
I own a Zeta model, and set my seat at higher position which has helped me on longer drives.

Quote:
The demo car was 2.5 years old , 32000 on odo .
I would still suggest you to take another test ride in a different car.

Last edited by silverado : 5th December 2017 at 18:54.
Old 5th December 2017, 20:55   #2502
BHPian

Quote:

Something definitely wrong with your friend's car- to start with get the suspension checked and replaced.

Have driven 500Kms in single go with only 10 minute break and did not feel fatigue at all.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:49   #2503
BHPian

I am most likely to go one a 2500+ km round trip in our Baleno in Dec End, so I might be able to give some real-world feedback sometime in early January.

I am still not fully sold on this idea, as I usually use my now 7 year old i20 Diesel for long trips. The car, being on the heavier side and with good highway legs, has done quite well in all the trips we had - the major downsides being the poor headlight and the slightly wallowy nature on undulating and curvy roads.

The decision to take the Baleno is largely because we haven't had an opportunity to test this car on a really long trip yet - its done all its duty over the last 1+ year of its purchase within the city limits ( no complaints there - it serves mostly as my wife's commute and she is very happy ). So we just wanted to try this one for a change. What worries me is the fact that the car is quite light. Not too concerned on the ride quality etc, as its been quite ok so far. The headlights are a plus, and also the fact that it might be more nimble in the smaller roads in Kerala.

The jury is still out, will update later.

Last edited by Bigzero : 6th December 2017 at 10:55.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:35   #2504
BHPian

Quote:
I own mid 2016 Baleno Delta and I have not faced any fatigue due to the above reasons during my 1800 km trip earlier this year. I had driven more than 12 hours couple of times within a three day period mostly in the crowded 2 lane highways of Kerala.

I have not yet changed the suspension and I am currently waiting for parts to arrive to get it replaced at the MASS. During the trip car was fully loaded with 5 people though.
y448 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:13   #2505
Senior - BHPian

I have Baleno 1.2 Zeta and have never faced any issues on long drive. It's very easy to drive. Light clutch, butter smooth gear shifts and the front seat has good support. The front seats are larger than my S-Cross. After full suspension change, the ride has become much better too

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th December 2017 at 13:15.

Most Viewed