Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2018, 22:07   #2566
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Hello,
Sharing some pics of FE for my Baleno Zeta Petrol (Aug 2016). FE display is set to reset along with trip meter.

First one over a distance of about 70 km at 80-90km/h while going to Bangalore from Palakkad

Second one over the entire return journey (mostly 100-120km, about 70km @ 80-90km/h, 130km/h occassionally. Touched 140km/h a few times).

Filled up before and after the return trip. Calculated average was 21.15 km/l.

I believe this is about as much as can be expected. Please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-1.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2.jpg  

9216 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 12:21   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9216 View Post
Hello,
Sharing some pics of FE for my Baleno Zeta Petrol (Aug 2016). FE display is set to reset along with trip meter.

First one over a distance of about 70 km at 80-90km/h while going to Bangalore from Palakkad

Second one over the entire return journey (mostly 100-120km, about 70km @ 80-90km/h, 130km/h occassionally. Touched 140km/h a few times).

Filled up before and after the return trip. Calculated average was 21.15 km/l.

I believe this is about as much as can be expected. Please comment.
That seems to be a very wide gap. Is it normal? I have seen 2-3 Km/ltr difference across different driving conditions. This one ranges from 21 to 27. Interesting.
Old 20th January 2018, 22:49   #2568
BHPian

Hello All!
Need your help in deciding which car to buy. I am planning to buy an automatic car for my dad, which will be also used by my wife occasionally. Usage pattern is 90% in City and 10% on highway. Only front seats will be occupied most of the times. This car is replacing our beloved 5.5 yr old WagonR.
We test drove grand i10 TC and Baleno CVT. Liked both the cars.
Grand i10 : Automatic is available only in two trims, Magna and Sportz(O). Lack of ABS on Sportz is a blunder by Hyundai. While test drive was short, liked overall cabin feel, build of the car, quality interior and ride quality. Steering feel is also much better by Hyundai standards. Sportz(O) misses out on ABS, auto AC, Smart key etc.

Baleno : First thing I noticed is flimsy build. Absolutely appalling. Everything feels so tin can like. But car is really specious, feature loaded and good to drive. Though Maruti calls it premium hatch, I struggled to see that premiumness in the car. Good move by Maruti to make ABS, airbags, EBD, ISOFIX standard across all variants. It has better seats, big on space, looks beautiful.

Grand i10 ride quality is better. It's having 30k discounts while Baleno does not have a single rupee discount.

Baleno makes i10 look overpriced. I am inclined to buy Baleno but it's build is worrying me. I read many reviews on the internet complaining about its bad ride quality and suspension.

Baleno owners please share your views. Is it that bad?
Old 21st January 2018, 00:10   #2569
BHPian

Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Every other car is flimsy if you start comparing it. Every car is compromised due to cut throat competition. Lot of Mercs have gone up in flames for unknown reasons and even more altos and Santros have saved its occupants in a surprising manner.
If you understand this and are confident about the driving skills of the driver please go for Baleno. Loads of features, space, affordability and styling.
All the best.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 21st January 2018 at 00:11.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 01:14   #2570
BHPian

Basically I'd look at it this way. Since the car is going to driven by only one person the question of space etc are secondary.
Baleno as of now is a pretty well loaded car at its price compared to competition. Build wise yes Maruti has compromised in Baleno but it's not that flimsy too.
My suggestion do the math n compare benefits and needs and decide which one is more ideal buy.
knownstrangerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 10:15   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All!
Need your help in deciding which car to buy...
I am also looking out for a new car for myself with my requirements being similar to yours except that highway runs will be around 40%. These two excellent threads will be a great place to start your research:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...no-ertiga.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ive-guide.html

If you can wait for some time, Hyundai will be announcing the i20 facelift next month though the launch is expected to happen later. They have reportedly equipped it with a CVT to take on the likes of the Jazz and the Baleno. All the best with your search! Let us know what you finally decided on.
anirudh_85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 11:28   #2572
VEA
BHPian

I got my Baleno delivered yesterday. Its a December 2017 car. I am very happy with it. Changed the tyres to Michelin of the stock size. I guess XM2 195/55/R16 is dicontinued now, but was able to find 39/17 manufactured ones which was ok to me. I am slightly disappointed that the front cabin lights are just reading lights. they dont sync with the door. The switch in the light housing turned out to be a dummy, not a switch afterall. I am very satisfied with the Nexa experience, but they could have spend the cake, flowers and chocolate money on nicely detailing the car before delivering it to me. The car was clean, but obviously not used a clean enough cloth to avoid smudging the windshield and windows.

Those of you wanting to buy a Baleno and concerned about the build quality, I would say you wont be disappointed if you know what you are buying. Previous to the Baleno, my daily driver had been a Polo GT Tsi for four years, used a Micra CVT for 2 months before getting the Baleno. I find the baleno more comfortable. My Baleno share the garage with a Mercedes GLE 350. Even the mercedes has irritating noises when going on pothholes. Guess the panels are rubbing each other and the car is very silent that we hear everything. My brother’s 3 year old 80k kms run corolla cvt used to give out a ‘clunk’ noise feom the gearbox everytime you release the accelerator pedal from day one. It rattles like an old swift now. The only car I am yet to hear a serious persistent rattle is the Innova. Baleno is not the perfect car, but it gets 80% things right. During the ownership of the car you are more likely to enjoy the features offered by the Baleno than just the marginally better build quality offered by others. All the rattling Marutis command a good resale value, and Baleno wont be any exception. So you are covered if you are not able to live with it after two or three years. Just my perspective.
VEA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 12:00   #2573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Baleno makes i10 look overpriced. I am inclined to buy Baleno but it's build is worrying me. I read many reviews on the internet complaining about its bad ride quality and suspension.

My Baleno is 4 months old, so can't comment on dashboard rattles as I haven't experienced them yet.

I am very happy about ride quality/suspension, no complaints from this area at all.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 12:49   #2574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All!
Need your help in deciding which car to buy. I am planning to buy an automatic car for my dad, which will be also used by my wife occasionally. Usage pattern is 90% in City and 10% on highway. Only front seats will be occupied most of the times. This car is replacing our beloved 5.5 yr old WagonR.
We test drove grand i10 TC and Baleno CVT. Liked both the cars.
Grand i10 : Automatic is available only in two trims, Magna and Sportz(O). Lack of ABS on Sportz is a blunder by Hyundai. While test drive was short, liked overall cabin feel, build of the car, quality interior and ride quality. Steering feel is also much better by Hyundai standards. Sportz(O) misses out on ABS, auto AC, Smart key etc.

Baleno : First thing I noticed is flimsy build. Absolutely appalling. Everything feels so tin can like. But car is really specious, feature loaded and good to drive. Though Maruti calls it premium hatch, I struggled to see that premiumness in the car. Good move by Maruti to make ABS, airbags, EBD, ISOFIX standard across all variants. It has better seats, big on space, looks beautiful.

Grand i10 ride quality is better. It's having 30k discounts while Baleno does not have a single rupee discount.

I own a WagonR (K10) and get to drive a Baleno frequently and extensively. Baleno has a stiff ride and if comfort is a priority then you could look for other options.

The other problem is low seating. I am 6ft tall and have been spoilt by the tall boy layout of the WagonR. I am not comfortable getting in and out of the car (both front and back seats). Once inside the seats are wide and comfortable. On long drives (200+ kms) the lower back support of the Baleno is lacking, IMO. I get backaches in the Baleno while I never faced this issue in my WagonR till date (I have done 1000+ kms in day in both the cars on multiple occasions). I say this since your father is going to be the primary user of the car. Please ask him to TD it extensively on bad roads and also entering/exiting the car multiple times.

My WagonR has done 57k+ kms while my friend's Baleno is at 30k kms. His car has been 'almost' rattle free till now. But so was my WagonR till that moment and the rattles started creeping in post 30k.

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st January 2018 at 12:50.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 16:46   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My Baleno is 4 months old, so can't comment on dashboard rattles as I haven't experienced them yet.

I am very happy about ride quality/suspension, no complaints from this area at all.
Same here. Very happy with the ride quality. I have been Uber for my work now for 7 months and I must say, it's definitely as good, if not better as the Xcent/Etios/last gen DZire. Head and shoulders above the Wagon R.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 16:58   #2576
BHPian

A nagging doubt in the back of my head

I hear these comments on 'unbelievable smoothness', 'engine inaudible till 3000 RPM' etc etc. with respect to the 1.2 K12M engine.

However, I'm having a slightly different experience in my 1500 km done car. The first start-up in the morning is certainly a big vocal. After it settles in also, and even at 1200-2000 rpm, I can distinctively hear the engine when there's no music and AC blower is at level 1 - there's a slightly 'gravely' sound, a 'grittiness' to the note. There are no vibrations at all it is free revving and at 80-100 kmph, there's silence. Is this normal...? Am i overthinking it?

M 3+ year old 1.2 TSI is even more vibe-free and less vocal below 2k RPM. And more silent at idle (of course, there is a distinct busy DI petrol 'tappet' noise before settling in at 800 rpm during the day's first start). I'd use all the aforementioned adjectives for this engine..
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 19:28   #2577
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
A nagging doubt in the back of my head

I hear these comments on 'unbelievable smoothness', 'engine inaudible till 3000 RPM' etc etc. with respect to the 1.2 K12M engine.

However, I'm having a slightly different experience in my 1500 km done car. The first start-up in the morning is certainly a big vocal. After it settles in also, and even at 1200-2000 rpm, I can distinctively hear the engine when there's no music and AC blower is at level 1 - there's a slightly 'gravely' sound, a 'grittiness' to the note. There are no vibrations at all it is free revving and at 80-100 kmph, there's silence. Is this normal...? Am i overthinking it?

M 3+ year old 1.2 TSI is even more vibe-free and less vocal below 2k RPM. And more silent at idle (of course, there is a distinct busy DI petrol 'tappet' noise before settling in at 800 rpm during the day's first start). I'd use all the aforementioned adjectives for this engine..
Exactly my thoughts! I have done 100 kms so far and it's nowhere near smooth as a TSi engine nor is it as silent as a Ritz or a dzire. I assume it to be some component in the CVT singing along with the engine making the additional noise. It is definitely loud and coarse for a modern 4 cylinder petrol. Almost getting the feel of a 3 cylinder engine at startup. The noise level stays the same upto around 3k rpm beyond which I have not tried yet. Also, the test drive car I tried was pulling off like mad from start to the point that I felt it was jerky. But my car isn't exactly doing it. It's smooth and slow off the blocks. How is everyone's car in this aspect?
VEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 20:23   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
. I assume it to be some component in the CVT singing along with the engine making the additional noise. The noise level stays the same upto around 3k rpm beyond which I have not tried yet. Also, the test drive car I tried was pulling off like mad from start to the point that I felt it was jerky. But my car isn't exactly doing it. It's smooth and slow off the blocks. How is everyone's car in this aspect?
always good to have company! interesting theory, maybe it's due to the CVT. But you'll get this mad pull if you feather it for a couple of seconds and then floor it. Some reviewers pegged the CVT faster than the manual till 100 kmph.

Try cruising at 100, it'll be pin drop silent..
Old 21st January 2018, 20:45   #2579
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
always good to have company! interesting theory, maybe it's due to the CVT. But you'll get this mad pull if you feather it for a couple of seconds and then floor it. Some reviewers pegged the CVT faster than the manual till 100 kmph.

Try cruising at 100, it'll be pin drop silent..
Yet to floor it. But it's not getting louder for sure as the speedo climbs. It sufficiently fast for my city use requirements. The test car really felt like a RC toy car from standstill. I liked it.
Old 21st January 2018, 21:14   #2580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Here's my 8 months review on my Baleno.

The Bads :
1. The infamous build quality. Doesn't need any explanation.
2. Poor brakes. I feel the brakes could be much better. i20, jazz are a league higher on this.
3. Ride quality/Suspension : Though my car has the revised suspension set up I am still not happy with the ride quality. I am comparing this with the numerous etios, xcents, aspires and swift dzire cabs i have traveled. The Baleno's suspension is no where close to any one not even it's close sibling the dzire.

The above are purely based on my own experience. My exposure to cars is very little hence some points might be surprising and unusual for most of you.

Hope to create my own ownership thread soon.

What is the manufacturing month of your car?
Was the suspension setup changed recently, or you mean the car was manufactured after MS corrected the noisy rear suspension problem?

Last edited by ajmat : 21st January 2018 at 23:29. Reason: Reduced quoted part to relevant portion

Most Viewed