Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2018, 05:59   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Maruti sold 17770 units of Baleno in January 2018. It is almost double the numbers of Elite i20.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 14:22   #2612
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
I have the same issue. The sound does not impact braking performance, but is an irritant.

The Service centers tried their best but were not able to eliminate it completely. It appears from time to time now, especially after it is driven on wet surfaces.
In the old Wheeler Dealers show, Edd China used to apply Copper grease on the outside of the brake caliper. He claim that it will reduce the brake noise.

Last edited by amvj : 6th February 2018 at 14:41. Reason: corrections
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 15:49   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
absnation, I think you're overthinking it. My prior ownership AT vehicles were 2 Torque Converters (Accord and i10), and my current vehicles have DSG and CVT (Baleno Alpha).

I can count on my fingers the number of times i used "L" specifically over the last 8 years. In most cases, D or S would suffice. Suzuki's CVT also has good manual braking. So downhills are not a problem like Torque Converters.

I'm very happy with the ride quality and the even the responsiveness of this CVT in normal aggressive city driving.You would need to slightly change your driving habits - will happen in a week. Yes, it's no DSG in responsiveness, but makes up for it in smoothness and hopefully in reliability (in all likelihood..given its a tried and tested JATCO CVT)

Hi VEA, I suggest you adjust the seat fore-aft/height until your right foot feels comfortable, the left anyway would be on the dead pedal. Post that adjust the reach and rake of the steering. You should hopefully be comfortable...

The brake hiss is abnormal. Do get it checked ASAP.

The suspension should be new, given that I have new ones and I took delivery in mid-October. I'm 100% sure the ride harshness is due to high tyre pressure. I put 30 psi all around, and couldn't be happier with the ride quality.

Thanks @ d_himan. You are absolutely right, I did go in depth for a petty issue, but the misconception was created right after reading the service manual of Baleno itself. Anyways, booked a Alpha CVT yesterday. Arrival awaited.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:49   #2614
BHPian

After a lot of misconceptions regarding the performance of CVT over manual, finally booked a Alpha CVT (White) for my father last week. As per the SA@Nexa, he stated that the probability of getting a Alpha White CVT is much faster as compared to any other color (ray blue/fiery red - which were the other color options in mind). I don't know how far is it correct.
If anyone can shed some light. SA stated 4 weeks flat.
Old 16th February 2018, 13:06   #2615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absnation View Post
After a lot of misconceptions regarding the performance of CVT over manual, finally booked a Alpha CVT (White) for my father last week. As per the SA@Nexa, he stated that the probability of getting a Alpha White CVT is much faster as compared to any other color (ray blue/fiery red - which were the other color options in mind). I don't know how far is it correct.
If anyone can shed some light. SA stated 4 weeks flat.
True, Ray blue has the maximum waiting period as it's being preferred by majority. White and silver are the colors which would be available faster and some times off the shelves.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:49   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
True, Ray blue has the maximum waiting period as it's being preferred by majority. White and silver are the colors which would be available faster and some times off the shelves.

Yes indeed Ray Blue is really a nice color. We have one in the opposite locality. Apparently due to excellent driving skills of two wheeler riders across our city, a dark color like Ray Blue/Glistering Grey are prone to scratches. The one vehicle I am talking about has bruises all over the door panels. Hence considering the fete, I opted for a white color.
Old 16th February 2018, 20:24   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Yes indeed Ray Blue is really a nice color. We have one in the opposite locality. Apparently due to excellent driving skills of two wheeler riders across our city, a dark color like Ray Blue/Glistering Grey are prone to scratches. The one vehicle I am talking about has bruises all over the door panels. Hence considering the fete, I opted for a white color.
You might want to consider orange. Small scratches are not visible in orange.
Old 16th February 2018, 20:40   #2618
BHPian

Ask me about it ! This is a high maintenance color. Even a minute scratch will be visible to your eyes. I should say i regret going for this color. Orange was my favorite but this got maximum votes at home.

Meanwhile, for the Hyderabad folks. The Nexa exclusive service center is functional at Balanagar. Recieved the following message from a Nexa service representative along with the attachment :

Dear customer,Please visit our exclusive NEXA workshop VARUN MOTORS BALANGAR, Booking open 9 to 5 everyday cont sridevi:8886827894 click link for route map https://goo.gl/maps/UvL5cDkrjfp

My 10 K service is due this May. Eagerly waiting for the 'NEXA experience'
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180216-5.04.23-pm.jpeg  

Old 17th February 2018, 15:56   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
You might want to consider orange. Small scratches are not visible in orange.
Indeed Autumn Orange is a nice color, however, in our city, I have noticed none. To be honest I really had Ray Blue/Fiery Red as prime options... but then never the less White is an evergreen color, at least minor bruises won't be concern....else even in 2k paint booth supervisors often have lame excuses for not being able to match the precise color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Ask me about it ! This is a high maintenance color. Even a minute scratch will be visible to your eyes. I should say i regret going for this color. Orange was my favorite but this got maximum votes at home.

Meanwhile, for the Hyderabad folks. The Nexa exclusive service center is functional at Balanagar. Recieved the following message from a Nexa service representative along with the attachment :

Dear customer,Please visit our exclusive NEXA workshop VARUN MOTORS BALANGAR, Booking open 9 to 5 everyday cont sridevi:8886827894 click link for route map https://goo.gl/maps/UvL5cDkrjfp

My 10 K service is due this May. Eagerly waiting for the 'NEXA experience'
Honoring desires of others at home is indeed prime when you are on receiving end. Wishing you happy miles until next upgrade.
absnation is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 09:49   #2620
BHPian

After putting in a lot of thought considering Baleno CVT, Ecosport Trend+, Figo DCT and Jazz CVT; I shortlisted Ecosport Trend+ and Baleno CVT. Jazz is due for an upgrade and we already have an aspire DCT in the family. I could not get myself to buy a lower end Ecosport. Absence of alloy wheels and reverse camera on the 6.5 touchscreen for example were a few drivers. Also, I was not comfortable with those thick A pillars.
Coming to the Baleno, the question was, should I buy Delta CVT and later upgrade to alloys, 16”tyres, touch screen with reverse camera, etc or directly buy the Alpha variant. I have finally chosen the Alpha variant.
Interestingly, the dealer - Kalyani Nexa, asked me to give him a choice of three colors. I have booked the car in white but have said that I may consider silver and grey.

One question for you guys. How good are the tyres that come with the car? Should I be looking to upgrade to softer Michelin or Continental tyres? If yes, please suggest a good dealer in Bangalore. Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 10:05   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
After putting in a lot of thought considering Baleno CVT, Ecosport Trend+, Figo DCT and Jazz CVT; I shortlisted Ecosport Trend+ and Baleno CVT. Jazz is due for an upgrade and we already have an aspire DCT in the family. I could not get myself to buy a lower end Ecosport. Absence of alloy wheels and reverse camera on the 6.5 touchscreen for example were a few drivers. Also, I was not comfortable with those thick A pillars.
Coming to the Baleno, the question was, should I buy Delta CVT and later upgrade to alloys, 16”tyres, touch screen with reverse camera, etc or directly buy the Alpha variant. I have finally chosen the Alpha variant.
Interestingly, the dealer - Kalyani Nexa, asked me to give him a choice of three colors. I have booked the car in white but have said that I may consider silver and grey.

One question for you guys. How good are the tyres that come with the car? Should I be looking to upgrade to softer Michelin or Continental tyres? If yes, please suggest a good dealer in Bangalore. Thanks
Hi Satishtv, as per my research, the tyres that come with factory fit are Apollo 16" on Alpha variant and they run good with no road noise inside the cabin if all have 29 psi.
I to happened to drive the Manual Alpha variant a couple of days ago during my finalization of car and the car clocked 27K and was around 2+ yrs old. The tyres were still 55% in working condition. The road noise was very minimal, hence 31 psi was the air pressure inflated and it worked fine. I would suggest there ain't a need to go for a change/upgrade. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading the cap like alloy wheels. N what is the waiting time given by ur RM?
BTW, advance congrats for upcoming acquisition.
Old 18th February 2018, 10:28   #2622
BHPian

Quote:
N what is the waiting time given by ur RM?
BTW, advance congrats for upcoming acquisition.
Thank you. The waiting period quoted is 6 weeks. BTW, the new i20 was readily available. I would have probably gone for that if I was not looking for an automatic.

I guess these 6 weeks may feel like 6 months.

Please check out the below video. The guy mentions that his Apollo tyres have cracked and are losing Tyre pressure. This is why I was considering a Tyre change.

Last edited by Satishtv : 18th February 2018 at 10:41.
Old 18th February 2018, 12:57   #2623
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. The waiting period quoted is 6 weeks. BTW, the new i20 was readily available. I would have probably gone for that if I was not looking for an automatic.

I guess these 6 weeks may feel like 6 months.
Sir, I have seen the video and that is apparently due to road conditions that we have in our country. Let me take you down the memory lane (5 yrs back) we owned a Swift Vdi that to had tubeless tires in stock (MRF). There was a similar cut on the tyre as shown by the fellow in video. These cuts do occur when we ride hard on bumpy roads/the edge of the tyre is exposed to sharp stones laid across road. The other scenario is when the car is seldomly taken for a ride. Due to humidity these cuts are often encountered. Hence after intervention of Regional Sales Manager for MRF of our zone, we came to a compromise to pay only the depreciated %age of existing tyres in leiu of new tyres. Since punctures or these kinda cuts on this proportion of tyre can not be administered.

Please do make a note that the service center might not honor the suspension issues (if they arise in car during the warranty period) giving a lame excuse of changing the on stock tyres.

Yes, i20 hasn't been launched with AMT/CVT this time as well. Wonder its available in i10 grand but not in this one.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th February 2018 at 13:34. Reason: Quoting a long post / video hampers readability.
Old 19th February 2018, 18:34   #2624
t18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
I got the 5th year extended warranty for my 2016 Baleno Zeta CVT during the weekend.

Cost - Rs 5910/-
In the Nexa website Royal Platinum for Zeta automatic starts at Rs.11,000. How did you get it at this price, any discounts?
Old 20th February 2018, 13:42   #2625
BHPian

Guys,

I have one doubt.

I have tried to use Google maps (Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro - Android phone connected to the car) and played songs from my phone but I find the songs are not playing well when I use maps. Looks like the phone's resources are not enough to do both simultaneously.

While using Maps, FM works just fine. Are there any other way or only I am facing the issue ?

I have an iPhone as well but it does not have Navigation system in the Car play.

Most Viewed