Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 17:57   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

there may not be any power drop with 3 cylinder turbo charged engines, but in my mind personally I have doubts regarding longevity of smaller engines running at high RPM's and turbo charged. All this relentless action at high pressures is bound to take a toll somewhere. Maybe the lifespan of such engines is 80K or thereabouts after which something is bound to give in.
Old 29th December 2015, 18:14   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
One of the Baleno owner posts a short video showing the dimples on the door, 'Reportedly' caused by hard pressing the door.
I am not able to believe it completely.
But if it has even 1% truth then it's worrying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Nothing in it...I specifically checked out the body metal issue by banging hard on it with my knuckles/heel of my hand. No dents.
The dimples in the video were prolly caused by something hard hitting the vehicle.

The video is mine.
It is already on Post #199 of this thread. Please go through it before commenting.
Nowhere in the post is 'hard hitting / hard pressing' mentioned

There has been no incident with the car whatsoever. As i have said in the post, it is probably because of someone leaning against the car when it was parked.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 18:45   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
there may not be any power drop with 3 cylinder turbo charged engines, but in my mind personally I have doubts regarding longevity of smaller engines running at high RPM's and turbo charged. All this relentless action at high pressures is bound to take a toll somewhere. Maybe the lifespan of such engines is 80K or thereabouts after which something is bound to give in.
Could you please explain more on the 80k km tolerance? If so wouldn't it affect Ecoboosts and mjds ( 90+ bhp versions as well?
sathya_g_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 19:12   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
All this relentless action at high pressures is bound to take a toll somewhere. Maybe the lifespan of such engines is 80K or thereabouts after which something is bound to give in.
What does this even mean? Reliability of petrol engines has been increasing over years of automobile engineering. There is no reason to think otherwise, especially this one, Japs are developing it. Yes, it would be supposedly more sophisticated, and may be tuners won't love it as much as they love old Baleno's 1.6, but this doesn't mean this one won't last long, yes the 1.6 was hell of a workhorse, have one with 120k KMs that still feels new, but we aren't comparing these two completely different engines. What I want to say really is that we should have faith in engineering and not make comments like these when the product is not launched.
Old 29th December 2015, 19:26   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought Baleno petrol Zeta last month. I got my team bhp membership approved today. I have driven 2000 kms and got around 18-19 kmpl mileage on tank full method. MID used to show around 0.5 to 1 km more. Overall impressed with car. I did not get any accessories with the car. So I got 3d mats online and yet to find mud flaps.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 18:02   #261
BHPian

I went with my wife to Nexa Baner, Pune for a TD of the automatic (CVT) Baleno.

Unfortunately, they do not have a TD of this. They do not expect to be able to arrange one in the near future. It can take up to a few months! Ouch!

Still, wanted a feel and so took a TD of the manual top end unit.

Our first feelings based on a very short ride:
Very low - we had a sinking feeling!
Very smooth to drive. The gear shifting was long throw but precise and butter smooth.
The SA had set the ACC to minimum and it was freezing in the car. I changed that when the TD ended - but it was too late to test in that condition.
The mirrors took a bit of time to set. Normal!
The place inside felt small - may just be our perception.

I felt that having a CVT in the top end actually made more sense. Unfortunately, both of us felt that - this will make the car too expensive. Suddenly, Jazz seems more VFM.

I am told that the other Nexa has a TD of the CVT. May try it out in the second weekend of Jan 2016.

I will keep you all posted.

Girish Mahajan
Old 30th December 2015, 18:17   #262
Senior - BHPian

Are the projectors in the top of the line Baleno, halogens (non white light) or HID units? Can anyone in the know shed some "light"? Thanks

Also how does the illumination compare to that of the Zest? I recently had the opportunity to drive a Zest at night and found it to be one of the few cars kitted out with very nice OEM headlamps, both spread and reach.
Old 30th December 2015, 19:33   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Are the projectors in the top of the line Baleno, halogens (non white light) or HID units? Can anyone in the know shed some "light"? Thanks

Also how does the illumination compare to that of the Zest? I recently had the opportunity to drive a Zest at night and found it to be one of the few cars kitted out with very nice OEM headlamps, both spread and reach.
Baleno alpha variant has HID Xenon Projectors and not halogen projectors like Ciaz. I found the illumination really good at night, since i had taken test drive at night. Also I own baleno zeta and it comes with stock osram bilux lamps and throw is pretty good too
Old 30th December 2015, 19:49   #264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

The baleno uses regular halogens in a projector setup just like the Ciaz. No HID xenons even in top spec Alpha. Only thing is that it has a LED strip.

Not sure how it compares with the Zest but the projectors usually perform better than the reflector ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Baleno alpha variant has HID Xenon Projectors and not halogen projectors like Ciaz. I found the illumination really good at night, since i had taken test drive at night. Also I own baleno zeta and it comes with stock osram bilux lamps and throw is pretty good too
Actually they are not HID Xenon but regular halogen. You can check the specs. There's no mention of HID or xenon lamps. Only the S-cross Alpha gets the Xenon lights.
Old 30th December 2015, 20:20   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The baleno uses regular halogens in a projector setup just like the Ciaz. No HID xenons even in top spec Alpha. Only thing is that it has a LED strip.

Not sure how it compares with the Zest but the projectors usually perform better than the reflector ones.

Actually they are not HID Xenon but regular halogen. You can check the specs. There's no mention of HID or xenon lamps. Only the S-cross Alpha gets the Xenon lights.
The lights on Baleno alpha variant are without doubt HIDs. They emit pure white 4500k light. I know because I have seen and tested them on purpose. The setup is exactly the same as on the S cross which also had HIDs. Additionally, the setup is Bi Xenon.

Ciaz has halogen projectors and they work for low beam only. The high beam is a halogen reflector.

The setup on Nexa cars (top variants) is way ahead of Ciaz as well as the competition.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 20:22   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I remember it was white light and not halogens for sure. RM told me it's bi xenon like s cross
Old 30th December 2015, 21:57   #267
BHPian

So we just booked the Baleno Zeta (P) and the RM was unable to confirm a fixed time to deliver the car. He said it will be delivered in April and then corrected himself and said March first or second week. They informed me that the factory is going to be closed for the first two weeks in Jan which will further delay the delivery.

The ray blue color which we ordered is in high demand and the RM made us order pearl white as the alternative if the ray blue delays the delivery. I'll wait till the first week of Mar for the Baleno and if undelivered, we will go for either the i20 or the Figo 1.5 AT.
Old 30th December 2015, 22:13   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
The lights on Baleno alpha variant are without doubt HIDs. They emit pure white 4500k light. I know because I have seen and tested them on purpose. The setup is exactly the same as on the S cross which also had HIDs. Additionally, the setup is Bi Xenon.

Ciaz has halogen projectors and they work for low beam only. The high beam is a halogen reflector.

The setup on Nexa cars (top variants) is way ahead of Ciaz as well as the competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I remember it was white light and not halogens for sure. RM told me it's bi xenon like s cross
Wow. I stand corrected. This is actually a very pleasant surprise. A sub 10L hatchback with xenon lights is the first time ever.

I am also equally shocked because Maruti does not mention xenon or HID's anywhere. They simply say projector lights with LED DRL's. On the other hand for the S-cross they mention it as part of features and under the safety as HID lights:

From the brochure of S-cross:
Quote:
S-Cross is adorned with aesthetically designed premium lamps. The High Intensity Discharge (HID) produce more light than regular halogen lamps.
So why is this important and very expensive feature kept a secret and not advertised?
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 07:21   #269

I've booked a Baleno Zeta Petrol here in Chennai. I was wondering - with the lights on the Alpha being a Bi-Xenon, is there a possibility that the same lights can be fixed on the Zeta? Any idea how big the bite on your pocket would be and what are the changes required to accommodate this setup?
Old 31st December 2015, 09:11   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidious View Post
I've booked a Baleno Zeta Petrol here in Chennai. I was wondering - with the lights on the Alpha being a Bi-Xenon, is there a possibility that the same lights can be fixed on the Zeta? Any idea how big the bite on your pocket would be and what are the changes required to accommodate this setup?

Hi congratulations on your booking insidious.
Unfortunately that is not a possibility since there has to be a change in wiring as well. Just like S-Cross doesn't have them available as upgrade, so is the case with Baleno.

It can be done aftermarket, but at the expense of warranty lapse.
I would say you go for the Alpha, as all other models show that swift face with the same headlights.

Most Viewed