Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 00:41   #3436
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried installing or has installed puddle lamps in the rear doors?
Wanting and thinking over it as there are times when the street light is not there or is very less and having puddle lamps for rear doors will be of great help in such conditions
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:22   #3437
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a question which has been discussed before on this thread itself. Since I couldn’t come to a conclusion posting it again.

Topic in question is engine oil for the k12m. Whether to stick to the company recommended 0w20 or the fully synth 5w40 which the dealer says is approved by Maruti to use on both petrol and diesel cars (weird but most of the service centre do this).

I had wrote to nexa customer support regarding this, as expected the forwarded that to the same dealer who suggested for putting Diesel engine oil in petrol engine the first place. I have asked for direct reply from the technical team rather than help form the dealers, yet to receive a reply.

To be honest I have used the 5w40 once for close to 8k and I found it way better than the mineral oil.

Anybody else have similar experiences or which oil you would prefer on your petrol balenos
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:02   #3438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
Has anyone tried installing or has installed puddle lamps in the rear doors?
I did get the idea when we got the vehicle but since we are still in extended warranty and the risk of damaging already thin plastics (our handbrake console was removed for adjusting the handbrake screws, and has not fit back perfectly since), we did not try doing anything. This and the missing rear arm rest are the missing things that surprised me.

As a workaround, we open the front doors first and check before alerting the passengers in the back. Although inconvenient, but our hands are tied in warranty and the dealer will not help in these adventures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Topic in question is engine oil for the k12m. Whether to stick to the company recommended 0w20 or the fully synth 5w40 which the dealer says is approved by Maruti to use on both petrol and diesel cars
For any car, it is always best to choose the recommended specifications in the owner's manual (or any official circular stating any revision, which is a very rare case). In case of Baleno, you should stick to any API SN rated 0W-20 as any other thicker oil may not timely reach and lubricate every nook and cranny of the engine as per the intended design, causing additional strain on the engine, lowering efficiency and may cause issues with acceptable tolerance of the parts after some usage. Why pay more for oil as well as a future engine overhaul when you can stick to recommended specs? There is a Maruti Genuine Accessories 0W-20 oil from Mobil1 which is perfect for your Baleno, although a bit expensive at close to ₹ 900 per litre, which the dealer will not object if you insist on using the same.

During my first oil change, my dealer also tried to convince me that 5W-40 (from Castrol in my case) is synthetic and recommended by Maruti, but I did not budge. Upon further discussing, they disclosed that for easier inventory, they stick to only 5W-40 in case of fully synthetic and recommend that to anyone who asks for synthetic. I tried but could not find the MGA oil mentioned above at any shop. Hence I bought this 0W-20 synthetic oil from Idemitsu and have been using the same happily since then. In case they do not allow outside oil, please mention that you need 0W-20 only and ask them to show any Maruti communication regarding using dealer supplied oil only (I trust they will not have any).

Edit: A few of the fully synthetic oils and part numbers you can use from Maruti themselves, including the Mobil1 above, a Shell with Nexa part number having fully synthetic mentioned in its description and a Shell Helix HX8 which is fully synthetic as per my knowledge and experience using it once in 5W-30 grade for my SX4:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-mob.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-shelln.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-shell.jpg

Last edited by Researcher : 2nd August 2021 at 10:22.
Researcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:04   #3439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
I did get the idea when we got the vehicle but since we are still in extended warranty and the risk of damaging already thin plastics
Same case here, my car was under extended warranty, but it is now out of warranty so thinking of some subtle updates.

Quote:
As a workaround, we open the front doors first and check before alerting the passengers in the back. Although inconvenient, but our hands are tied in warranty and the dealer will not help in these adventures.
I do that but it skips your mind at times. With kid at the back it gets a little out of hand sometimes.
There is a thread by Bone Collector where he added the puddle lamps in his Brezza.
Will keep looking for options that I can use which does not require much tinkering.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 16:50   #3440
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Maruti Baleno Spotted, could be a Hybrid vehicle.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2022marutibalenospotted.jpg

2022 Maruti Baleno which was spotted were completely covered giving away no desiign cues in the offing.

The rear indicates it will get a new set of tail lights, stoplight and new bumpers.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2022marutibalenospottedrear.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th August 2021 at 16:54.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 09:23   #3441
Distinguished - BHPian

New set of the spy pics:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-20210826082356_baleno-3.jpg

- Show larger touchscreen and new steering, among other changes in the 2022 Maruti Baleno.

Quote:
The 2022 Baleno will get a completely redesigned dashboard, with the AC vents now placed horizontally in a V-shaped pattern and a free-standing infotainment screen taking centre stage. The unit looks much bigger than the 7.0-inch SmartPlay Studio system and could easily be 8.0-inch or more in size.

Sources have confirmed to us that the infotainment system will be upgraded and will also feature wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, among others. The steering wheel seems to be a new unit as well and looks similar to the one used on the Swift. The climate control switches are also expected to be all-new and will look similar to the ones on the Ignis.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th August 2021 at 09:26.
Old 27th August 2021, 11:00   #3442
Distinguished - BHPian

Details of New Baleno:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-1.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-5.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-4.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-3.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2.jpg
Old 27th August 2021, 12:45   #3443
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a Baleno Petrol (Delta) 2016. In last 5 years, I have just done 30k kms, however, in those 5 years 1 tyre has burst, 1 tyre has got side wall crack, and one tyre has a relatively big punture that keeps loosing air slowly despite getting it fixed twice. I have decide to change all 4 tyres in same 185/65 R15 configuration. I might keep the car for another 2 years.

I would appreciate any suggestions for budget friendly and decent quality tyres. Stock tyres were MRF, so I am not very inclined towards getting MRF again. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 27th August 2021, 13:21   #3444
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Baleno Facelift Spied Again

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2022marutibalenofaceliftspiednewledlight2768x576.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2022marutibalenofaceliftspiednewledlight1696x696.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th August 2021 at 13:23.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 21:13   #3445
BHPian

Fuel economy on my car has come down drastically and I am not able zero down on the cause. The car has done 33k KM and is single hand driven, serviced every 8k km (between 9 to 10 months) and bone stock condition. I used to get an average of 25 to 28 on highways but it's not going above 21. City average used to be 19 with 100% A/c which is now hovering between 15 to 16 since Jan 2021. While I shouldn't be worrying much but curious to find what could be the reason.

Here are the reasons what I could think of :

1. Fuel Injectors cleaning : The injectors haven't been cleaned till date. The service advisors did recommend the job but I refused. I am thinking to use the Liqui Moly Fuel Injector cleaner. Please share your experience using this product.

2. Tyres : Though my usage has been less the 195 Apollo Alnac 4Gs have started showing signs of deterioration. As it is they are quite noisy I offlate hear lot of road noise creep into the cabin. Steering has also turned heavy even after the steer rack replacement. I don't know if tyre life also has an impact on fuel economy but this is a 4 year low mileage car taken mostly on weekends. But I could be wrong.

The tyres have been regularly balanced, aligned and rotated. Sharing pictures of the front tyres for your reference. All 4 are in the same condition. Have highlighted the cracks visible on the shoulders.

Requesting insights from esteemed members.

P.S. : Spark plugs were changed during the annual service done in May 2021. The car is a zeta 1.2 manual (2017 purchased).
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-tyre3.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-tyre1.jpg  

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 23rd September 2021 at 21:15.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 22:02   #3446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Fuel economy on my car has come down drastically and I am not able zero down on the cause. I used to get an average of 25 to 28 on highways but it's not going above 21. City average used to be 19 with 100% A/c which is now hovering between 15 to 16 since Jan 2021. While I shouldn't be worrying much but curious to find what could be the reason.
Quote:
The car is a zeta 1.2 manual
That's one hell of an average you were getting from your car considering yours is a Petrol. Maximum I got is 21 that too when I drove at 80 in BS4 era. Ever since BS6 petrol is being used the car has not given average above 19.5 on highways.

Quote:
Fuel Injectors cleaning
Did not see any difference in the average when I got this done in my car.

Quote:
Tyres
Crack on the tyres seem to be due to prolonged standing due to covid and harsh sunlight. Better to change them as and when you get time as they are nearing there age.

Quote:
insights
1. Please check if K10 filter was installed in your car during the service. Oil filter for Baleno is K00. Have heard from some people that there has been a drop in average and performance when K10 was installed in their baleno.

2. Do you feel your car is sluggish in pick up as well?
Might be taking your car on a long route and driving above 2k RPM can clean some of the carbon getting deposited in your car and then checking the average might help.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 13:09   #3447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Could you please share your experience with this oil. I will mostly switch to this one in the coming days but your feedback will really influence my decision.

Quote:
That's one hell of an average you were getting from your car considering yours is a Petrol. Maximum I got is 21 that too when I drove at 80 in BS4 era. Ever since BS6 petrol is being used the car has not given average above 19.5 on highways.
I am not aware of this at all !!

Quote:
Crack on the tyres seem to be due to prolonged standing due to covid and harsh sunlight. Better to change them as and when you get time as they are nearing there age.
Am surprised on the tyres condition. My friend's i20 tyres (same brand) were changed at 75k 7 years and I hardly have completed 4 years.

Quote:
1. Please check if K10 filter was installed in your car during the service. Oil filter for Baleno is K00. Have heard from some people that there has been a drop in average and performance when K10 was installed in their baleno.
Can you confirm if it is the oil filter or Air filter ? Will check today on the service invoice.

Quote:
Do you feel your car is sluggish in pick up as well?
tMight be taking your car on a long route and driving above 2k RPM can clean some of the carbon getting deposited in your car and then checking the average might help.
No change in the performance, it drives the way it used to from purchase.
Old 24th September 2021, 13:31   #3448
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel economy on my car has come down drastically and I am not able zero down on the cause. The car has done 33k KM and is single hand driven, serviced every 8k km (between 9 to 10 months) and bone stock condition. I used to get an average of 25 to 28 on highways but it's not going above 21.

2. Tyres : Though my usage has been less the 195 Apollo Alnac 4Gs have started showing signs of deterioration. As it is they are quite noisy I offlate hear lot of road noise creep into the cabin. Have highlighted the cracks visible on the shoulders.

The car is a zeta 1.2 manual (2017 purchased).
Please change the tyres asap. You don’t want a sudden tyre burst. Mine is Oct 2017 and the tyres are not as bad as yours. That said, every 4 months or so, I spray generous amount of tyre protection / tyre dresser to stop them from drying out.

You are getting some insane mileage. Mine is petrol manual and the mileage I see is 20-23 on the highway if I drive less than 80kmph. Only when I drive in Kerala I drive less than 80kmph due to lots of speed cameras on the highway. Other places I drive faster and that results in low mileage, but I hardly bother to notice the mileage.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 14:55   #3449
BHPian

Quote:
It's something very hard to get. When I had the Baleno, driven on open highways at a consistent speed of 70-80, with minimal braking, it is indeed possible to get a FE of ~25. But then, the right foot automatically becomes heavier on that sort of empty highways.

The trick is to anticipate future braking needs and taking your foot off the accelerator, letting the engine braking do its thing. Helped my FE by 2 points easily.

Quote:
Am surprised on the tyres condition. My friend's i20 tyres (same brand) were changed at 75k 7 years and I hardly have completed 4 years.
The brand of tyres isn't as relevant as the model. Different models have different rubber. That said, my 3 year old Alnac 4Gs having run 38k KMs were in perfect condition. There was sufficient tread depth and no signs of deterioration like yours. My car wasn't parked under a shade the entirety of my ownership period, but tbf it wasn't parked much at all.
RoadMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 16:13   #3450
BHPian

What are the puddle lamp and boot lamp specifications for Baleno? I want to install something brighter and LED based.

Last edited by amvj : 24th September 2021 at 16:15.

Most Viewed