Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 10:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

This was one review I was waiting for. Used to religiously check multiple times daily to see if this has come.
My requirement was a hatch with safety features and rear space for 2 adults and my four year old twins

Existing ride is an 8 year old WagonR Duo and it was getting extremely congested. Have booked for a Petrol Zeta about 3 weeks back.

Anybody who booked in November got it delivered?

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 10th December 2015 at 10:03.
Old 10th December 2015, 10:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review Aditya. As always, deserves a 5* Rating

Though the sales chart has been on fire and for once in a long time, Elite I20 has been out sold, I had noticed a single 2015 Baleno on road, until today morning.

I think this was a very dark shade, probably the Granite Grey. The colour looked absolutely gorgeous, but I still hate the shape of the his hatch. IMO the car I drive must look good just as much as feel good.
But then again, folks like me constitute to less that 20% of the buyers and we are the ones who ensure manufacturers such as VW, Ford, Fiat, etc keep ticking in India.

Personally, I can never digest the fact that a modern premium Hatch back offers a mere 37l Fuel tank capacity. Really Maruti?? Hyundai Santro, which is extinct now, offered 35l Fuel Tank !!
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 10:35   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Have booked for a Petrol Zeta about 3 weeks back.

Anybody who booked in November got it delivered?
Hi Rajesh,

I have booked a petrol Zeta Silver on 9th November. The dealer (Pratham Nexa) had earlier told delivery date of 21st December. But, as of now, allotment has not happened and I have been told that people who had booked the Baleno on 25th October have not been allotted the car yet. So, I now have to wait until Jan last week.
Old 10th December 2015, 10:36   #64
BHPian

Folks, I went with my friend yesterday to have a look on new Baleno at Bimal Nexa ORR Bangalore. As many have pointed out earlier NEXA is just an eyewash. The experience at the showroom was far from premium. We ourselves had a look at the car for about half an hour and still no one came to even ask why the hell we were there. The feeling was similar to going to meet the potential father in law who has a beautiful girl and he would not even care to have a look at you. Its you, who is the beggar and money is going to come from his side. The SA finally came after we enquired on the front desk about any sort of assistance. From there on it was more about S-Cross and less about Baleno. I don't know why that chap was more interested in talking about S-Cross and it's discounts. Overall a complete let down in terms of NEXA experience. I was treated better at Bimal Maruti when I had gone with my friend for buying a humble Alto. It was far more customer centric interaction and none of this filmsy NEXA experience. Maruti can actually double their numbers on Baleno if they shift to normal Maruti Showrooms.Enough I guess on NEXA.

I don't know it's only me or some other folks who are also of the same opinion that Baleno looks like an Audi from side profile. That's one positive if you can call so. Some glaring cost cutting (like an undersized Tyre -saving of may be 1k), ready to fall height adjustment lever on front seat (noted duly in Official review ). Apart from that a better overall product than swift anyday and thanks to the brilliant review.Awesome.

Last edited by adi_gt : 10th December 2015 at 10:54.
adi_gt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 10:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Ground clearance is rated at 170 mm.
==== We'll leave final verdict to our ownership reports.
With the rear sagging, what could be the impact on a Baleno loaded with 5 adults out on a highway trip?

Any thoughts?
Old 10th December 2015, 10:51   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
Hi Rajesh,
I have been told that people who had booked the Baleno on 25th October have not been allotted the car yet. So, I now have to wait until Jan last week.
When I visited Kalyani Nexa last Sunday, I was told that my request is not even taken up as they are finishing off the bookings done in October.

Saw many cars lined up for delivery. They told that the remaining requests will be processed after Dec 10th

I am planning to visit again tomorrow
Old 10th December 2015, 10:53   #67
BHPian

Excellent review. The only reason I'd pick the Baleno over i20 would be the back seat space and the power to weight ratio.
i20 has the worst back seat in the premium hatchback segment. And the 1.2 feels very underpowered. You have to always do the "pedal to the floor" thing to get moving.
But the poor construction of the Baleno is something that will raise a lot of questions. 890kgs for a car this huge? You got to be kidding me.

Last edited by iss1307 : 10th December 2015 at 11:10.
Old 10th December 2015, 11:03   #68
BHPian

I quite like where Maruti are heading with their design language. From the side profile, it looks like the Swift is "evolving" into something new. Curious to see how the next generation of vehicles from Maruti will turn out.
Old 10th December 2015, 11:13   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

LED tail-lamp cluster. Lower variants get a slightly different unit (image link). The 2nd (lower) strip is a dummy:

With the LEDs in action:
[url=http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/maruti-baleno/l/smaller/maruti-baleno-26.jpg]

Thanks a lot for the excellent most awaited review.

What I miss on the so called "Premium Maruti's" is the rear fog lamps.
For someone who does drive regularly into misty/fog filled areas, it is a must have safety feature. Surprisingly for Maruti, The S Cross, Ciaz & the Baleno don't have it; though the "non"-premium" Swift, Ritz, WagonR has it.
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 12:03   #70
BHPian

Excellent review Team BHP & Aditya. Was waiting eagerly for the official review as am expecting the delivery of my car by the end of the month. The review validates the thought that for a petrol hatch, Baleno is a better car than i20.

Now that the official Team BHP review is out, the only wait is for the NCAP test results.
Old 10th December 2015, 12:25   #71
BHPian

Awesome review Aditya and Mods. We all waited a lot for this one and was totally worth the wait. As the Hindi saying goes, mehnat ka phal meetha hota hai.

Review points out perfectly that the strategy of NEXA is flawed and Baleno by no means is premium. This should have been in the regular showrooms. Maruti - are you listening!

Quote:
What you won't:
• Ordinary interior quality is Swift-like. Several budget grade parts in here
Quote:
Because Nexa dealerships need to cover their investment, the company has decided to sell it through that premium dealership network. That's in conflict with brand Nexa's positioning as the Baleno isn't a 'truly premium' car. The smaller Nexa network will also limit the reach of the car across India. We find it to be a flawed strategy.
Quote:
While the overall quality is acceptable, it's certainly not in the league of the Elite i20 which remains the benchmark. Take a close look at the interior plastics and you'll find several budget-grade areas. The cabin is full of hard plastics. The door panels feel very flimsy, and they flex so easily! Part quality is comparable to a Swift, and not the premium hatchbacks in the market.
avdhesh15 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 12:29   #72
BHPian

- Fantastic insights on the product! Great review! Was waiting very long for this one!!
- I feel Baleno is a great offer from Maruti's stable and they have adopted a good strategy as well. Want to kill your own product? Offer something better!!
- Lack of space was the main concern in the Swift. They have addressed it well here.
- If I had to buy a Maruti car today, this would be it.
- Somehow, I am very skeptical about the high tensile steel. I hope what they say is true.
- I also feel it is behind Elite i20. Be it style, quality or performance of diesel engine. Elite i20 has "premium" written everywhere.
- They should have offered the turbo petrol unit upfront. Hope they bring it soon.
capslock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 13:19   #73
BHPian

Excellent Review as usual and Kudos to Aditya & team

The pleasure in reading through the Team-BHP review is something out of the world. And way better detailing, than most of other reviews in the market

It's a long time wish/dream - Why don't we think of comming up with a video review?
PetroTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 13:22   #74
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th December 2015 at 13:40.
veyron-w16 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th December 2015, 13:23   #75
Senior - BHPian

Has the review covered the fact that it's pricier to make a hatch door than a sedans' boot-lid ?
(Edit : AFAIK, this'll also help in structural strength & improve safety quite abit. It'd quite surely be much better than Swift.)

Credit given where its due, Maruti has put its best to address the competition - Elite i20. Maruti is timely at delivering what market wants when it wants, that too is appreciated.

A mega hatch can do SO much more and the design really impresses me. TBH I think people will find it find it better in real life than pictures!

I feel the interiors could've been better, also what's a missed opportunity is for them to provide the 90bhp (VGT) iteration of the 1.3mjd. I too didn't understand what's their logic of not providing rear fog lamps in their 'premium' cars?

BTW, why did they restrict GC to just 170mm ? This is going to scrape on Bangalore's roads! Worse still, there's no engine protection plate !

I feel although this may do well, a newer iteration must be soon developed with a better dashboard & higher GC.

Anyway, Let's see.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 10th December 2015 at 13:46. Reason: Crash safety info

Most Viewed