Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 08:35   #1006

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Update:

Alpha Petrol, completed 7550 kms and undergone 2nd service (at 7400), airbag controller has been updated, got Teflon coating done which I think makes the colour ( premium urban blue ) look a bit light but with a clear sheen. Another important thing is that I have been experiencing pretty low FE, I would get around 16-17 and now only around 14-15.5 this could be due to rarerified air in the summer but such a drop is drastic although I'm waiting to check if their is any increasing pattern after service. Nothing to complain about so far just eagerly waiting for android auto.
Old 12th June 2016, 09:18   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
My neighbour bought a Baleno CVT and asked me for my opinion after he bought it !! Needless to say I drove it and told him its a good car etc.

But here's my actual opinion: the rubber band effect in the CVT of the Baleno is H U G E. It's not just the rubber band effect - in comparison to the regular petrol Baleno this feels like it's got the handbrake partially pulled all the time. It's that sluggish.
Any idea how it compares to the jazz and Micra cvt units. These small engined CVT units behave like this with pronounced rubber band effect.

I noticed this on the jazz as well which struggled to reach triple digits.

The baleno being lighter and engine being better off the line, I'd be surprised if the cvt was worse than the Jazz.
Old 12th June 2016, 10:14   #1008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Any idea how it compares to the jazz and Micra cvt units.
Actually no. Not a fan of these CVT's so haven't really bothered to drive them.

Have driven the Kizashi CVT and its Manual version. Here too, the difference is almost night and day although not as pronounced as the difference between the Balenos.

The sound of the Baleno's straining engine and gearbox coupled with sluggish acceleration puts you off triple digit speeds and you realise that the car is designed only to get you from A to B and sadly, nothing else.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 12th June 2016 at 10:17.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 15:52   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The sound of the Baleno's straining engine and gearbox coupled with sluggish acceleration puts you off triple digit speeds and you realise that the car is designed only to get you from A to B and sadly, nothing else.

Very True.Yesterday i went to book The Cvt Baleno (zeta) and after the test drive end up booking the 1.2 petrol manual Alpha Variant.Although this will be used as a second car and will be used mostly by my wife my mind just didnt let me go for such a sluggish transmission
Old 12th June 2016, 16:42   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Baleno is a stunner, in looks. Too bad they chose CVT over torque converter. I hear of this rubber band effect in all CVTs yet, wonder why Nissan, Honda, Maruti and Mitsubishi opt for CVTs? BTW, why is CVT mated only to petrol engines? I'm yet to hear of a diesel engine mated to CVT. Is there any?
Old 12th June 2016, 17:03   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Very True.Yesterday i went to book The Cvt Baleno (zeta) and after the test drive end up booking the 1.2 petrol manual Alpha Variant.Although this will be used as a second car and will be used mostly by my wife my mind just didnt let me go for such a sluggish transmission
Lancer_Maniac

I am bit surprised by your comment. Did you go for a longish drive ? Also did you try the sports mode ?With baleno CVT (or any other cvt) flooring accelator will result in rubber band effect and sluggish performance. I have experienced this on cars with much higher engine capacity (sold outside india). You need to feather the accelator and let the tranny covert higher rpm to upshifts.

Having driven baleno cvt for 4k odd kms (including highway drives), I never felt that the car to be underpowered. In triple digit speeds the cvt manages the tranny much better than average drivers (I consider myself average-15 yrs of driving couple of lakh KM's) and let's you stay in engine's powerband if you follow the throttle feathering rule. The sports mode enhances the drivability much more.

I used to have my doubts before I bought the car (see my posts in the same thread)- but I am glad that my doubts were unfounded.
sathish81 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 17:25   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Baleno is a stunner, in looks. Too bad they chose CVT over torque converter. I hear of this rubber band effect in all CVTs yet, wonder why Nissan, Honda, Maruti and Mitsubishi opt for CVTs?
Well it depends. CVT units in cheaper cars are often not that great and sometimes even in more expensive rides, I remember initialy test driving the Kizashi with the Jatco CVT and that was such a shameful drivetrain match for the car. Ones in recent Honda and Toyota cars are pretty good. Audi employed a fairly decent CVT unit in their A6 as well. Learn to adapt your driving style to a CVT and in most cases you will find it better than a torque converter. That said, no CVT will appeal to a hardcore driving enthusiast just as no Torque Converter unit will either. Learn to adapt your driving style to a CVT and in most cases you will find it better than a torque converter

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th June 2016 at 17:29.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 17:36   #1013
BHPian

Sathish,

Actually that was my second test drive which was a bit long i would say.My first test drive was short hence took a long one before booking.Here i was talking about my experience in particular to CVT. Moreover the only automatics i have driven is the old skoda and the the polo GT Tsi, both DSG's .I checked the S mode too (the button on the lever) but still i was not confident especially when it comes for overtaking.Now that you told maybe i should take one more test drive and decide.I had told my RM that i might call in two days if any change of decision comes as my wife still insists on the automatic for obvious reasons though she has not driven it yet.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 12th June 2016 at 17:40.
Old 12th June 2016, 20:01   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Sathish,

Actually that was my second test drive which was a bit long i would say.My first test drive was short hence took a long one before booking.Here i was talking about my experience in particular to CVT. Moreover the only automatics i have driven is the old skoda and the the polo GT Tsi, both DSG's .I checked the S mode too (the button on the lever) but still i was not confident especially when it comes for overtaking.Now that you told maybe i should take one more test drive and decide.I had told my RM that i might call in two days if any change of decision comes as my wife still insists on the automatic for obvious reasons though she has not driven it yet.
You can use the sports mode button:
1. To quickly get to the desired speed
2. During overtaking
Of course if you don't mind burning extra fuel, you can use it all the time.

I do understand the situation you are in- it was my wife who insisted on automatic and she wa particular abt baleno ( i was leaning towards polo gt). I am glad I listened to her

Last edited by sathish81 : 12th June 2016 at 20:02.
sathish81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 02:08   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Djpeesh

In hilly regions it does rollback in "drive" mode in stop and go traffic on inclines - the creep function in drive mode does not solve that problem. The creep function in L gear with sports mode on gives the car enough power to move forward on inclines.
I know this from practical experience
So I was climbing up Pedder Road this evening and I was in traffic. I was in d and let go of the brake. I didn't roll back at all but instead stayed in one place. Maybe this rollback happens on steeper Hills. Will try a steeper climb and report back
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 12:08   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Finally, goodbye to Baleno. Cancelled my booking today at Kalyani Nexa, Blore.

The RM was most eager to get the cancellation process get completed. Made me confused as to whether these guys earning commission on cancellations too . Alls well that ends well.
Dear Shiv,
First of all sorry for your decision on cancellation. I really know how it pains to book and cancel a car. I too went through the same feeling when i cancelled my Baleno from Kalyani Nexa,JP nagar. and took a Jazz.

Very true they are very fast in cancellation process that the booking process.

Hope you have narrowed down on some other car. Please pardon me in case you have indicated it somewhere in the post and i have not followed it.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:20   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Dear Shiv,
First of all sorry for your decision on cancellation. I really know how it pains to book and cancel a car. I too went through the same feeling when i cancelled my Baleno from Kalyani Nexa,JP nagar. and took a Jazz.

Very true they are very fast in cancellation process that the booking process.

Hope you have narrowed down on some other car. Please pardon me in case you have indicated it somewhere in the post and i have not followed it.
I wished to have a baleno for it being a nice car, but no way I am ready to be taken for a ride by a conglomerate in this cut throat consumers market.

I visited Nexa first time and that too for cancellation as I did the booking while I was abroad in feb through phone calls and whatsapp. All this so called premiumness is a marketing gimmick. The reguler maruti showrooms are better.

Anyways, It all came to an end when even after waiting for 5 months, they have no clue when the car would come. It had to end.

Now I am in the used car market as in my budget of ~8 lacs, nothing seems to be exciting and can be called as complete package, hence decided go with something pre worshipped and keep the addtional money for a logical upgrade few years down the lane.

Cheers..
Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 12:35   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Even I agree normal Maruti showrooms are better. Maruti is giving us the VW experience with Nexa which was not required at all. The two times I went, the gentlemen in suit/boot were too busy on their iPads. Cars, and their display, the showrooms are great though.
Old 13th June 2016, 15:09   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debashis_1 View Post
Hi Guys,

Does this happen in your Baleno:

Problem: A clanking/grinding sound from front Wheels.

When & How: It doesn't happen while going over potholes or on uneven roads or while breaking at any speed (low or high). I have so far never driven faster than 100. I have clocked an average speed of 70 to 80 km/h on highways. It doesn't happen if I crawl over a speed breaker at low speeds either.

But I get clanking sound (for around 2-secs) when I start applying break my car before a speed breaker and my foot still on the break pedal. If I have slowed down my vehicle sufficiently and let my car crawl over speed bumper then it goes without any drama. Happened mostly on Highways.

Which is the culprit? Suspension or ABS.... Is it something I should check with Service center.
It happened with me yesterday, twice. Scenario was exactly same as you have described above. I will keep testing it and observe. It came from Front Left wheel.

My car has run 450 kms till now and FE has been outstanding, hovering around 17kmpl.

Of course trying to keep it below 2k rpm at all times.
Stock music system sounds great, I feel it has bit more Bass.
I haven't driven it on bad roads yet, so will keep observing ride quality.
Old 13th June 2016, 15:12   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Baleno is a stunner, in looks. Too bad they chose CVT over torque converter. I hear of this rubber band effect in all CVTs yet, wonder why Nissan, Honda, Maruti and Mitsubishi opt for CVTs? BTW, why is CVT mated only to petrol engines? I'm yet to hear of a diesel engine mated to CVT. Is there any?
If you notice it is the Japanese cars that are mostly fitted with CVT transmissions. One reason is Japanese believe a lot in smoothness and precision. If you drive a CVT car with a light foot, you will never ever experience any jerks like conventional AT or dual clutch gearboxes. That's Japanese engineering, smoothness with great fuel efficiency.

I am planning a trip to Japan with some research about self driving in Japan. Another thing I noticed was maximum speed limit on Japanese roads. The typical speed limits are 80 to 100 km/h on expressways, 40 km/h in urban areas, 30 km/h in side streets and 50 to 60 km/h elsewhere. Japan is very strict about driving rules with very heavy fines. Hence with speed limits mentioned above, I think CVTs are ideal for Japanese cars, compared to expensive DSG in European cars.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks