Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 15:16   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Thanks RM for info. But one question no one has answered is, are there any diesel cars with CVT? I only hear of them in petrol cars.
Old 13th June 2016, 15:25   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
I wished to have a baleno for it being a nice car, but no way I am ready to be taken for a ride by a conglomerate in this cut throat consumers market.
Anyways, It all came to an end when even after waiting for 5 months, they have no clue when the car would come. It had to end.
I enquired with Kalyani and Bimal about Baleno 1.2 L( P) Sigma variant, they said waiting period is 8 months, so dropped the idea of owning a Maruti car once again.
Old 13th June 2016, 16:51   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Thanks RM for info. But one question no one has answered is, are there any diesel cars with CVT? I only hear of them in petrol cars.
In India, CVT comes for petrol cars only so far with the likes of Honda Jazz, City, Baleno. Baleno has two petrol CVT variants so far - Delta and Zeta. I own a Zeta CVT.
Old 13th June 2016, 17:04   #1024
NPX
BHPian

I booked silver color Delta petrol trim on 15th march with 6-7 months waiting period at Nexa Karnal. On 3rd June, I got a call from RM informing me that I can take the delivery if I wish. So, the total waiting period came down to about 2.5 months from 6-7 months.

Bhpians are cancelling there booking and here I am not being able to take delivery beacuse I am out of the town.

Old 13th June 2016, 17:04   #1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Lancer_Maniac

I am bit surprised by your comment. Did you go for a longish drive ? Also did you try the sports mode ?With baleno CVT (or any other cvt) flooring accelator will result in rubber band effect and sluggish performance. I have experienced this on cars with much higher engine capacity (sold outside india). You need to feather the accelator and let the tranny covert higher rpm to upshifts.

Having driven baleno cvt for 4k odd kms (including highway drives), I never felt that the car to be underpowered. In triple digit speeds the cvt manages the tranny much better than average drivers (I consider myself average-15 yrs of driving couple of lakh KM's) and let's you stay in engine's powerband if you follow the throttle feathering rule. The sports mode enhances the drivability much more.

I used to have my doubts before I bought the car (see my posts in the same thread)- but I am glad that my doubts were unfounded.
Echoing to what Mr. Satish said, driving CVT with a light foot is the key to un'feel the rubber-band effect. At higher RPMs, this CVT cars are smooth, precise and cruise with power. Especially in my test drive of Jazz CVT and Baleno CVT, I felt Baleno is less noisier and has minimal rubber band effect. In city conditions it's a boon, definitely. On highways cars are pushed to higher rpms, so CVTs are in no way lesser to manuals in terms of driving.
ksriharish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 17:09   #1026
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPX View Post
Bhpians are cancelling there booking and here I am not being able to take delivery beacuse I am out of the town
Now that's called 'irony'!

Hope you have told the RM to reserve your car and keep it with them till your back in town. Else they'll give it off to the next guy in the wait list.

Do inform in case you haven't.
Old 13th June 2016, 18:18   #1027
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti is giving top priority for Baleno production post fire incident. RM said they would receive 100 cars in 2 weeks. They are having tough time to stock the cars and run behind the customers for finance and documentation.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 18:46   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
I am not an automobile engineer and experts can correct me.Almost all diesels sold in india are turbo diesels- these have turbo lag and non linear torque curves. This make them unsuitable for CVT which relies on more or less a linear torque throughout the rev band. Turbos might cause CVTs to slip.
Old 13th June 2016, 19:02   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Audi' Multitronic transmission is a CVT which is also coupled with TDi engines. The current A4 sold here is using that. Even the A6 used to have it earlier but that got replaced with a DSG when the facelifted Matrix debuted.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 23:02   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Deetjohn! That's news for me. Wonder why Audi went back from CVT to DSG which is notorious for reliability. Of all the CVTs I drove in Indian market, the best I found was Outlander. May be because of its 2.4 Mivec engine. Pity Mitsubishi is almost dead. I'm yet to drive a Kizashi. Hope it would be in same league, if not better. Smaller CVTs like Micra, Baleno and Jazz are city runabout cars and we cannot expect much from them, I guess.
Old 13th June 2016, 23:32   #1031
BHPian

Out of curiosity,can we remap the Baleno CVT or is there any performance mods yet to make the CVT reduce the rubber band effect and make it more drivable?
Old 14th June 2016, 01:40   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Out of curiosity,can we remap the Baleno CVT or is there any performance mods yet to make the CVT reduce the rubber band effect and make it more drivable?
A remap would be able to cure it upto a certain extent, But make sure you get it done by reputed people like TOT, Kirrus etc and let them know what exactly is that you want to be done, I doubt though that any baleno has been already remapped.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 11:36   #1033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
A remap would be able to cure it upto a certain extent, But make sure you get it done by reputed people like TOT, Kirrus etc and let them know what exactly is that you want to be done, I doubt though that any baleno has been already remapped.
Kiirus has remapped couple of Swifts with 1.2 L K series engine. I had contacted them regarding Baleno. They told it's doable and would be a bench flash. But I don't think it's worth to pay so much for just 8-10 BHP gain.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 12:24   #1034
BHPian

Dr, Thanks for the Info.But does this void the Warranty.And also Though its the same engine in Swift those are only manual.What will be the effect on CVT?
Old 14th June 2016, 12:25   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I understand, in recent history the main downfall of diesel automotive CVTs is the inability to deal with high torque. Diesel engines generally have higher torque than a similar sized petrol or gasoline engine so it is more difficult to match a diesel with a CVT that will survive.

That being said, CVT technology has taken leaps and bounds in the last few years thanks to advanced materials technology. So, we may see this trend changing in the near future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks