Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 10:55   #1306
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
I get only 9.7 Kmpl on my petrol Baleno in Bangalore traffic , tankful to tankful method(MID showed 10.2Kmpl).
The mileage drops significantly in stop go traffic but catches up really fast on open stretches. You should not be worried. Also I have observed that the car delivers lower mileage of parked sideways inclined (driver side down). This happens will all cars I guess, at least my observation.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 16:25   #1307

My Baleno Zeta 1.2 is now two months old (got delivery on 28.6.2016). For how many months is a new vehicle allowed to be driven without PUC certificate? When shall I required to get the PUC Certificate for the first time?
Regards,
Raji
Old 26th August 2016, 16:44   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcee View Post
For how many months is a new vehicle allowed to be driven without PUC certificate? When shall I required to get the PUC Certificate for the first time?
You need to get it, only at the end of the first year.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 16:50   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
My Baleno Zeta 1.2 is now two months old (got delivery on 28.6.2016). For how many months is a new vehicle allowed to be driven without PUC certificate? When shall I required to get the PUC Certificate for the first time?
Regards,
Raji
In Mumbai, the traffic police insist it's 6 months despite showing them the relevant CMVR sections.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 17:07   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
In Mumbai, the traffic police insist it's 6 months despite showing them the relevant CMVR sections.
I got fined for not having the PUC for my 9 months old S-Cross when I travelled couple of months back from Bangalore to Mumbai. Mumbai police insisted that the vehicle should have a PUC after 6 months.
Old 28th August 2016, 12:10   #1311

Hello everyone,

I received my ZETA 1.2 manual on 10th of august. Since I was on a tight tour schedule and came back to bangalore last week, I started rolling it out only from last 4 days. Done around 500 km since then.

The mifd shows 14.5 kmpl with just the fans running and around 13.7kmpl with a/c in auto mode.
Having driven alto lxi(2007) model for around 30,000 km in the last three years, driving the baleno feels like I am behind the wheel of a BMW or something (mindset)

Here is a detailed compilation of my views and observations of the car.

1.WHY THE SECOND TOP ZETA AND NOT THE TOP END ALPHA?
The features are almost the same in both the variants barring the DRL and HID projectors, touchscreen ICE with reverse camera ,apple car play and navigation that sets the alpha above zeta.

I am not a big fan of the projector lamps (specially the baleno) as I have observed the unusual flickering of HID in it and also i feel that the DRL LEDs are just a cosmetic augmentation.
Also, the apple car play is useless for us since neither me nor anyone in my closest circles use an Iphone and I aint planning on getting one in the foreseeable future.
I installed the SONY XAV BT-68 for the ICE as it had all the required features to offer. Also the display shows MARUTI SUZUKI symbol each time the system switches on, thus feels like OEM itself.(some controls are compromised ,but still...)
Therefore we felt that the zeta 1.2mt is the best VFM and opted for it.

2.DRIVING EXPERIENCE

The fiat designed K-series power-plants have been star performers for Maruti-Suzuki. The K-12 engine on the baleno is no exception.It is tried and tested on the swift and has more than satisfactorily met the market expectations. Having occasionally driven the swift, the baleno feels more refined and silent (initially I had troubles recognizing whether the engine is running or not, specially in noisy areas).
Though I havent revved my car for more than 2000rpm due to run in period, I can still say that it is an easy revver.I had throttled the test drive car to the limit and felt good. The throttle response is awesome, the light weight of the car makes it require lesser tractive effort and force to move off .

The gear lever was hard initially, and as the car gets road time, butter shifts are possible. Now it is as smooth as silk. The dead pedal is useful unlike many cars where in it is good for nothing , but since I have a full floor matting installed, it isn't visible. The arm rest doesnt serve the purpose and can only be used for storage.

The steering is on the lighter side with the steering mounted controls usable.The handling is easy .The horn requires the thumb to be stretched (feels uncomfortable). The brakes are of segment standard and abs is more user friendly i.e doesnt cause difficulties for a non abs user to adjust unlike the hundai I20 of my friend in which I had a difficult time adjusting to the abs (as i had only driven alto and before)
Though the car is the biggest in size in its segment, I dont face any difficulties driving it even bumper to bumper situations posed Bangalore roads.
The suspension seems a bit pedestrian and maruti engineers could have done a better job there.Yet, it does okay with the regular Indian road potholes and speed bumps.
All in all,besides obvious drawbacks due to build quality, budget parts etc I love the car for what it is.

These are my observations so far
Ill add more as and when I get more acquainted with it.

No car is perfect, its all about choosing the car which suits us best.
Old 28th August 2016, 13:21   #1312
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRINIDHI13 View Post

The fiat designed K-series power-plants have been star performers for Maruti-Suzuki.
Congrats for the new car.

Just to correct you: the k-series petrol engines are suzuki's own engines. It is the 1.3L ddis diesel engine that is built on fiat technology.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 18:15   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
I installed the SONY XAV BT-68 for the ICE as it had all the required features to offer. Also the display shows MARUTI SUZUKI symbol each time the system switches on, thus feels like OEM itself.(some controls are compromised ,but still...)
I am thinking of installing touchscreen system on my delta cvt as the OEM system display does not have folder navigation for USB.

What was the cost of Sony system? Does the steering control work with the Sony system.?
Old 28th August 2016, 18:57   #1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Congrats for the new car.

Just to correct you: the k-series petrol engines are suzuki's own engines. It is the 1.3L ddis diesel engine that is built on fiat technology.
Thanks for correcting . I had thought all the K series were fiat designed.

Anyway, I believe that this particular petrol engine is one of the best its segment plethora offers in terms of performance and user friendliness.
Old 28th August 2016, 22:07   #1315
BHPian

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20160806_072743.jpg

News of Baleno Catching fire.

No other details available.
Old 28th August 2016, 23:48   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Request inputs from my fellow BHPians with Baleno.
My Alpha Petrol has done around 500 Kms on the ODO. After about 100 kms, I started to feel a shudder or, say a sort jerk, while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. As soon as the clutch pedal is pressed fully, before I slot the lever from 1st to 2nd, I feel an awkward jerk. This happens while moving from 2nd to 3rd as well, but with a less intensity. Nothing of this sorts in other gears.
Even I am having the same problem and looks like it's a common problem. I have mentioned this to the SA during service but nothing to that effect had been done. I feel the jerk to be more prominent when you shift from 1st to 2nd under lower RPMs, shifting after a bit of revving relatively eases this jerk out.
maverickmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 11:16   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
Even I am having the same problem and looks like it's a common problem. I have mentioned this to the SA during service but nothing to that effect had been done. I feel the jerk to be more prominent when you shift from 1st to 2nd under lower RPMs, shifting after a bit of revving relatively eases this jerk out.
I really doubt if this is a "common problem". If that was the case, at least one post related to this, would be here in this thread. I have been following the thread closely, but have hardly found a post on this.

Just to clarify, the problem I am referring here, occurs when I press the clutch pedal, even before the gear lever is slotted from 1st to 2nd.

Meanwhile, could you please tell me at what rpm the problem doesn't occur. I usually up shift from 1st to 2nd around 1500 rpm. For reference, engine idles around 650~700 rpm.

Request other Baleno owners to pitch in with their comments, if any.
Old 29th August 2016, 20:21   #1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
I am thinking of installing touchscreen system on my delta cvt as the OEM system display does not have folder navigation for USB.

What was the cost of Sony system? Does the steering control work with the Sony system.?
Hi,

Mine is Sony XAV 68BT. After a lot research on various systems, I found this one to be optimal in terms of price and features.

I searched online and offline and was quoted a price around 17000 more or less.
When asked the nexa accessory guy, he quoted me a price of 22k for the same with a night vision camera. The camera costs 6000 aftermarket. So I thought it would be better to get it done from the showroom itself.

The three call buttons behind the steering won't work i.e you cant receive calls from the buttons behind the steering wheel but you can receive the call from the touchscreen, other than that rest is all good.
Old 30th August 2016, 14:01   #1319

Finally today got a call from Kalyani Nexa at JP Nagar, Bangalore. They informed that they are allotting Zeta CVT today and it shall reach Bangalore in 12 days.

Probably the person who called was from finance he was more interested in selling Car loan.

Srinidhi13 kindly suggest the PID for the vehicle and also how much time did it take from the day of reaching Bangalore to the actual date of delivery of your vehicle.
Old 30th August 2016, 14:49   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Regards,
Raji
I met a Hyundai Service Advisor in Pune recently and he said 6 months or 10,000 kms whichever is earlier.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed