Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 19:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A close friend of mine picked up the Baleno and pinged me about this on yesterday and said even if he presses the body panels with his finger, the dent remains like a pimple and the metal doesn't get back to retain its shape.
One can push the body panels of Swift too by hand but the situation is not so bad in case of Swift that pushing with fingers creates dent. You must be referring to small round dimples that get formed if some one bangs there door on other car, do not think Maruti can help here, it is an issue with cars having thin sheet metal.
Old 11th December 2015, 19:48   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
You must be referring to small round dimples that get formed if some one bangs there door on other car,
Yes I a referring to dimples (that I erroneously typed as Pimple). The way my friend explained me, a press with your finger and it goes in and remains as a dimple.

This, after having owned a Petrol and a Diesel Ritz followed a Diesel Fabia till recently. So he is certainly not a novice when it comes to his assessment on what he has been experiencing.

Quote:
do not think Maruti can help here, it is an issue with cars having thin sheet metal.
realize that! The point here is that things appear way too flimsy than typical Marutis.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 19:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So he is certainly not a novice when it comes to his assessment on what he has been experiencing
Am not doubting his assessment at all buddy, since you say that there are 2-3 cases more, it could be an issue with those particular body panels, have seen many cars with these dimples and they look ugly after 2-3 years.

Quote:
realize that! The point here is that things appear way too flimsy than typical Marutis.
Have not yet checked out a Baleno in flesh but the high tensile steel is not working it seems. The ownership reports are trickling in fast and we would know if it is a widespread issue. Weight saving measures do have their disadvantages.
Old 11th December 2015, 20:04   #109
BHPian

As always a brilliant review and nicely sums it up. At around ~800 odd kilos how do manufactures ensure that the car remains stable at high speeds?
Or am I incorrect in assuming that lighter vehicles are harder to control at high speeds.

Why put in those Swift-esque headlamps!! Why not design a new cluster for a new model. Even something like this would've been cool.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2016suzukibalenofrontthreequartermod.jpg
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 21:03   #110
BHPian

Suzuki has given only ONE Stencil to India Designers to design car. With that stencil they draw a basic design and they Pull, Expand, Collapse etc. to come with a new design for a new car. So the end result all cars looks the same

Maybe the ALPHA's can be made to not to have the Swiftish look, by painting/stickering the headlight reflectors inside to the body color or with black. What I mean, is all the useless stretched part of the Headlight above the chrome strip that merges with the V-Smile chromestrip. My crude MSPaint job here, please forgive for the crude attempt
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2016suzukibalenofrontthreequartermod.jpg  

PetroTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 23:55   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
As always a brilliant review and nicely sums it up. At around ~800 odd kilos how do manufactures ensure that the car remains stable at high speeds?
Or am I incorrect in assuming that lighter vehicles are harder to control at high speeds.
Maruti can talk about high tensile strength as much as they want. But no way any type of steel is going to help in protecting a light car at higher speeds. The effect of cross winds definitely be higher for lighter cars
Old 12th December 2015, 01:34   #112
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if I am mistaken but it seems like the rear bumper has almost no protrusion which means that a rear impact will damage the tailgate.

Minor fender benders may result in large bills.
Old 12th December 2015, 01:54   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Correct me if I am mistaken but it seems like the rear bumper has almost no protrusion which means that a rear impact will damage the tailgate.

Minor fender benders may result in large bills.

The rear bumper is almost 1CM protruding than the tailgate, so no worries
Old 12th December 2015, 04:52   #114
BHPian

Nice looking car except the front and sadly everyone looks at a car from the front for the first time rather than the rear 3 quarter view. What on earth made Maruti design such hideous front, I have seen this car in flesh and it looks spastic when viewed head on.

Hope they roll out a facelift soon, it's the 'face' which needs some 'lifting'.Rest of the car looks smashing.

A wider grille and a smarter headlamp assembly( like shown by someone using ms-paint above) should do it.

Last edited by saion666 : 12th December 2015 at 04:59.
Old 12th December 2015, 09:30   #115

Excellent Review, Thanks to Aditya & team

It's pleasure reading through the review, and is something which has one eagerly waits for.

I have a swift petrol for 4 years now and considering an upgrade to new B-segment hatchback (for Bangalore I personally think it's the best option) and my seriously considering the Baleno. For me its a toss up between the Jazz and Baleno, the new Jazz is a smart car but doesn't match up to the Baleno in terms of features and charges a premium for the Honda brand. But on the other hand going from swift, i am afraid there wouldn't be too much change with the Baleno - same engine, although the petrol engine is said to be peppier owning to the kerb weight and not to mention the long wait.

So, still on the fence between these two and not able convincingly choose one over the other...
Old 12th December 2015, 12:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum.xyz View Post
So, still on the fence between these two and not able convincingly choose one over the other...
After the Swift k series, you can't like the Jazz 1.2 iVtech. You just can't. It's low end is so poor that I won't mind trading a Jazz' engine with a k series. 95% of the time we drive in the Bangalore city's traffic conditions. We need stronger bottom end.
Buy the Jazz if you need to seat 5 really tall guys in it. For all the other reasons, get the Baleno. It's really that simple.
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 15:32   #117
BHPian

The ambient light's colour can be changed through settings in MID. It provides around 5-6 different colours settings.
Another useful feature added in the car is that the doors of the car can be locked through MID setting in such a way that whenever the door is unlocked only the driver side door unlocks rather that all the doors unlocking all together. I was informed by the sales man that the feature has been added because of theft caused on red lights. (Usually happens in New Delhi where lot of iphones have been stolen when the driver gets out to see that what exactly hit the car and during that time thief opens the other door and steals.)
torque.steer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 16:20   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum.xyz View Post
Honestly, if budget can be stretched to 10 big ones instead of 8, you should consider getting the S Cross Sigma instead.

I know what you mean by the B-segment size being best suited for Bangalore traffic conditions, but it just doesn't seem justified to trade your Swift for what is essentially a next-gen evolution of the same car.

Again, just my opinion and no offence intended to anyone.
Old 12th December 2015, 23:24   #119
BHPian

Brought home my Baleno zeta petrol yesterday. Had booked the Delta variant in ray blue color on 26th October but got zeta white due to availability issue. I have a question regarding the push start/stop engine switch. I found that the button turns the engine on even when you are more than 25 meters away from car with the key in your pocket. It means if you leave any door unlocked by mistake and the car is parked right outside the house (in parking or street) anyone can move the car without the key. In other words, anyone who manages to get into your car can switch on the engine and move the car without the key. Am I missing something here? Sorry if I am and it's a silly question. This is my first car and I haven't read the complete manual yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20151212_084422bhp.jpg  

Old 12th December 2015, 23:52   #120

^ 25 meters is too large a distance for practicality to be maintained for this feature. For me, when the keys are in my pocket I need to be seated otherwise even a little distance away from the seat the button just doesn't work and FOB not detected comes on the screen if the car is already in ACC mode. I reccomend you show this to NEXA and get a fix for it.
FGFARahul is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed