Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2017, 14:00   #1636
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Am seeing some additional info. in the Baleno brochure under the caption "NEXA Safety Shield" and "Enhanced Safety Standards in All Variants".

Guess, this "Enhanced Safety Standards" is a new addition! (correct me if am wrong)

http://https://marutistoragenew.blob...o-Brochure.pdf
Old 17th January 2017, 15:02   #1637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshbala View Post
Guess, this "Enhanced Safety Standards" is a new addition! (correct me if am wrong)
Yes that's right!! This enhanced safety standards addition was done when the Baleno was updated with ISOFIX seat anchorage points.

Snapshot from the Old brochure

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-b1.jpg
Snapshot from the Latest brochure
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-b2.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:07   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes that's right!! This enhanced safety standards addition was done when the Baleno was updated with ISOFIX seat anchorage points.
Nice. Can you please explain about the recent additions like Pedestrian protection etc ?

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 17th January 2017 at 15:09.
Old 17th January 2017, 15:12   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi4877 View Post
I have also booked a Baleno Zeta Automatic, as you use the same model, can you please mention the mileage the car is offering both in City and Highways. I was preferring a diesel automatic but as it isn't available, went with this model. I run on an average 3000 kms with 70% highway. As my budget is 10 lacs and wanted an automatic, booked Baleno. Now the worst part.... haven't been able to test drive the car until now!!!
Kindly do a TD as I found the transmission whine rather intrusive in the urban environment and on the highway it may be pronounced.
Old 17th January 2017, 15:15   #1640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Nice. Can you please explain about the recent additions like Pedestrian protection etc ?
I don't think something like "pedestrian protection" can be added in a car without any change in design. It is an integral part of vehicle design. Baleno was always tested and certified for Pedestrian protection in EU markets.

Its just that they have added it in their brochures as BVNCAP is coming this year which mandates all new cars to pass these norms.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:18   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think something like "pedestrian protection" can be added in a car without any change in design. It is an integral part of vehicle design. Baleno was always tested and certified for Pedestrian protection in EU markets.

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks Shashi Are these safety features available from 2015 Baleno onwards?
Old 17th January 2017, 15:26   #1642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Thanks Shashi Are these safety features available from 2015 Baleno onwards?
Except ISOFIX anchorage points which was a recent addition, I don't think the earlier cars and current cars have any difference in structure. For boosting up the pedestrian safety, they might have added a couple of thermocol and foam pads behind the bumper cover(just a wild guess), nothing more than that!!

Last edited by Leoshashi : 17th January 2017 at 15:31.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:33   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Except ISOFIX anchorage points, I don't think the earlier cars and current cars have any difference in structure.
When I booked the car in July 2016 at Chennai, I was quoted a waiting period of 6 months which translates to Jan 2017 delivery.

Then, somehow I managed to get hold of a vehicle (of course the same colour that I had booked) from a Tier-2 city within a month.

Now after seeing this post, I was worried whether I should have waited for a 2017 model.

Great relief. Thanks for the extremely useful piece of information.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:42   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

A question to all Baleno owners-How is the body holding up against elements in the day to day usage cycle?? I mean if you drive through a rough patch full of pebbles and small stones, do they leave a dimples on the body, if they skid from the wheels and manage to hit your body?? Also what happens if someone takes support of your car while standing?? Does that leave any dimples/dings/minor depressions??

The reason why I am asking this is because I saw a Ciaz at a dealership, and someone tried to test its sheet metal thickness by pressing it inside with his fingers, and that left a very minor depression(the metal came out only 99% after the removal of force). If this happens on a daily basis then the car won't age very well.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 17th January 2017 at 15:44.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:56   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Except ISOFIX anchorage points which was a recent addition, I don't think the earlier cars and current cars have any difference in structure. For boosting up the pedestrian safety, they might have added a couple of thermocol and foam pads behind the bumper cover(just a wild guess), nothing more than that!!
Also note that earlier safety pack provided for only front seat belt pre-tensioners & front seat belt force limiters. However, in the current version it says "seat belt with pre-tensioners and force limiters" (Which, as I understand is that now all seats would be equipped with belt pre-tensioners and force limiters).

Or is it that my understanding is wrong?
Old 17th January 2017, 16:35   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Kindly do a TD as I found the transmission whine rather intrusive in the urban environment and on the highway it may be pronounced.
The reason for not been able to do a test drive of Baleno Automatic is because I am on a project outside the country. Once back will try to get a test drive, but most places have manual transmission for test drive. Lets see.

I read your post too. Hyundai i20 elite is a good car, but the automatic version of the same is too costly. Cannot justify that cost. I don't know why its highly priced. Secondly the space in i20 elite, is very less compared to a Baleno

Thank you very much for your input.
Old 17th January 2017, 17:37   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi4877 View Post
The reason for not been able to do a test drive of Baleno Automatic is because I am on a project outside the country. Once back will try to get a test drive, but most places have manual transmission for test drive. Lets see.
I've used the Baleno cvt for the last 14 months and it's brilliant. The mileage is great and for the city, the transmission is perfect. A bit sluggish on the highway but it's pretty comfortable on long drives. (My XUV is actually less comfortable for passengers thanks to the body roll).

With the radio on, the transmission whine is only audible when pushing the car
Old 17th January 2017, 21:01   #1648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A question to all Baleno owners-How is the body holding up against elements in the day to day usage cycle?? I mean if you drive through a rough patch full of pebbles and small stones, do they leave a dimples on the body, if they skid from the wheels and manage to hit your body?? Also what happens if someone takes support of your car while standing?? Does that leave any dimples/dings/minor depressions??

The reason why I am asking this is because I saw a Ciaz at a dealership, and someone tried to test its sheet metal thickness by pressing it inside with his fingers, and that left a very minor depression(the metal came out only 99% after the removal of force). If this happens on a daily basis then the car won't age very well.
This is the only real negative point of my Baleno. Body panels are very thin except boot lid. A biker managed to rub his handle against the rear door and it caused 20 cm long linear dent. And yes, if you press firmly with your thumb it would again lead to a small dimple. When you visit any Nexa showroom, look at the doors of Baleno from an angle and you will notice many dimples. I am extremely careful nowadays when I park my car. I park only in places where is there is sufficient gap between other cars.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 21:20   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
This is the only real negative point of my Baleno. Body panels are very thin except boot lid. A biker managed to rub his handle against the rear door and it caused 20 cm long linear dent. And yes, if you press firmly with your thumb it would again lead to a small dimple. When you visit any Nexa showroom, look at the doors of Baleno from an angle and you will notice many dimples. I am extremely careful nowadays when I park my car. I park only in places where is there is sufficient gap between other cars.
Thanks for the brutally honest reply, really appreciate it.

I have seen those dimples in brand new cars in the showroom and that got me worrying. Also do have a look at this video which is pretty disturbing-

PS-How does the S-Cross fare in this regard?? Does it get any such dimples??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 21:31   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've used the Baleno cvt for the last 14 months and it's brilliant. The mileage is great and for the city, the transmission is perfect. A bit sluggish on the highway but it's pretty comfortable on long drives.
What mileage do you get in the city? I am using a Zeta CVT for 6 months now and the mileage in the city without AC (nowadays during winter) is 13.5.

I was able to pull 17-20 on the highway though.

Most Viewed