Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 15:54   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Baleno becomes the second best seller in March-17 for Maruti Suzuki. Baleno Rs effect? Sells a whooping 16 +k cars!

With strong bookings will Baleno overtake Maruti Suzuki's entry level Compact- Alto?

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th April 2017 at 16:00.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:20   #1877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Baleno becomes the second best seller in March-17 for Maruti Suzuki. Baleno Rs effect? Sells a whooping 16 +k cars!

With strong bookings will Baleno overtake Maruti Suzuki's entry level Compact- Alto?
The Gujarat factory has started to produce Baleno, it seems. Combined, Baleno and Brezza has an order backlog of 1.3L units!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Yes but in ramp-up phase. Now doing ~ 1000+ cars a month!
May be much higher than that, because Maruti may not ramp-up the production capacity of Baleno to 15K in their older plants so soon, when this Gujarat plant is getting ready.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 5th April 2017 at 16:40.
Old 5th April 2017, 16:24   #1878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
The Gujarat factory has started to produce Baleno, it seems. Combined, Baleno and Brezza has an order backlog of 1.3L units!
Yes but in ramp-up phase. Now doing ~ 1000+ cars a month!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 22:33   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Have you checked the wheel wells and underbody to see if anything is loose and hanging lower than usual?
I took a torch and inspected the underbody and wheel wells as best as I could. Nothing seems to be amiss. The sound must be coming from inside the cabin then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Congrats on your Baleno Zeta CVT. Please post few pics.

With respect to the squeaking noise from the front, I suspect its coming from the dashboard. It should be between the Speedometer console and the right most A/C vent.

This is not a perennial problem, but occurs when you negotiate uneven surface.

Also, since your car is from the 2017 batch, do you hear the infamous 'THUD' 'THING' noise from the rear suspension. This sound would come when you go over a speed breaker at very slow speeds. The sound would resemble a loose tool kit placed in the boot. But, the culprit is the rear suspension.
Thank you very much.

Will post some pics soon.

I think you're right about the source of the sound. Does your car have this issue as well?

No, no sounds from the suspension yet. Regarding the ride quality, my car does have a more comfortable ride compared to the Alpha TD cars I'd driven before.

The Baleno's ride comes into its own on smooth highways. Very good composure and it soaks up bumps silently. Wish Maruti beefed up the insulation a bit more though. Tire roar is quite loud when driving on old asphalt.

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 5th April 2017 at 22:37.
Old 6th April 2017, 13:34   #1880

Hi Everyone,

So I finally made decision to change the stock alloy wheels a.k.a the wheels caps. Stock rim width of 6.5" made the tires look very understated. Looked more like a 185. It took me months to finalize the design. I had bunch of alloy pages on my browser almost all the time during this duration. Finally made the decision to get http://www.platiindia.com/py-198-1. These are very few of the designs with 7.5" width. Most 16" alloys are 7" width and they would not have covered the sides of car in terms of width. The 7.5" I got protrude just a tiny bit.

Then began my search to sell the stock ones at a decent price. I wanted to get at-least 18-20k rupees for 4k kms run alloys. The max I could bargain was 15k. These alloys are not very popular and sell for 10-12k generally.

Experience after the installation:
Car felt heavy initially in turns. That was simply because of the large contact patch I think. Feels as quick as before in straight line. Mileage dropped by 0.1 on MID but I am not sure if new wheels contributed to that. I also have been driving in heavy traffic for a while now.

Aesthetically these wheels look awesome to me. I am not the kinda guy who likes flat machined chrome spokes. The width of wheels changed stance of car completely. It looks unmistakably larger than other hatchbacks in market. Wish the car was a little lower. Overall these wheels are 10/10 for me.

Few pictures (Sorry about the average quality and dirty car):
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170322_165722.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170323_130725.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170324_113146.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170325_170624.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170325_170654.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170325_170720.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170325_170742.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20170325_170808.jpg  

wantedDoA is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 23:58   #1881
BHPian

I'm constantly hearing some vibration noise coming from the Audio unit area. It is more prominent when driving over bad patches of road.

The noise started around a week back as a minor one as is quite prominent since yesterday.

It's definitely not the glove box or air freshener. I'm sure it's from the area near the audio unit.

Anyone else experience the same? It's starting to get my nerves while driving.

BTW Fuel efficiency update. I got a figure of 12.06 kmpl on my daily routine of 6 km round trip drive to office. MID reads 12.9 kmpl; pretty close to actuals. Hardly get to cross 30kmph speed. Quite good for an automatic, considering that my A-star manual gearbox used to give 12.7kmpl in the same route.
Old 11th April 2017, 15:13   #1882
BHPian

I went to the Service center last Saturday. They opened the dashboard and fixed it back.
There were 2 areas from where vibrations were coming earlier. One of them is resolved now, but the more irritating one from near the Audio HU is still present.
I will have to visit the Service center again to get it resolved.
Old 12th April 2017, 12:51   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Hi Baleno Owners,

Could you please help with a few queries :

1. How's the interior holding up after a year or two? Rattles?
2. How easy or tough is it to make a quick overtake in city/highway speeds in the CVT?
3. Is there an option to retrofit Alpha DRLs & Projectors on the Zeta through MGA(i.e. without affecting the warranty)?
4. Is the suspension on 2017 Balenos modified? I remember during RS launch it was said regular balenos too will get that suspension?

Thanks in advance
Old 12th April 2017, 15:57   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Hi Baleno Owners,

1. How's the interior holding up after a year or two? Rattles?
2. How easy or tough is it to make a quick overtake in city/highway speeds in the CVT?
3. Is there an option to retrofit Alpha DRLs & Projectors on the Zeta through MGA(i.e. without affecting the warranty)?
4. Is the suspension on 2017 Balenos modified? I remember during RS launch it was said regular balenos too will get that suspension?

Thanks in advance
Here's my review/answers to your questions. BTW, I've been driving a Zeta CVT for the last 7 months.

1. There's a faint rattling sound from the dashboard between the steering the right A/C vent. Few other owners have also complained about this issue.

2. 'S' mode comes to your rescue. But, please don't expect something similar to a manual transmission.

3. Yes, Alpha variant Headlamps are available at MGA at a whooping cost of 45K. An aftermarket projector upgrade with DRL should cost you only 25K (max). But, yes you would lose headlight warranty. Your electrical warranty would remain intact if there's no cutting of wires.

4. There's definitely an improvement in the ride quality of the 2017 variants. But, not sure if Maruti would plonk RS suspension onto the regular variants.
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 18:23   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Hi Baleno Owners,

At city speeds, just a dab at the accelerator gives you sufficient power to do overtaking maneuvers. The trick is to be in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range and not the 5k to 6k rpm range by flooring the accelerator.

At highway speeds, Sports mode will ensure that you are in the max torque rpm range when needed. I have driven in 2 lane highways and used 'S' mode very rarely. The regular 'D' is self-sufficient without you asking it for more with 'S'.

Suspension is on the stiffer side compared to other cars in the market, but not good enough to absorb undulations on road. Bigger undulations make the suspension thud heard. This suspension setup makes handling good at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
1. There's a faint rattling sound from the dashboard between the steering the right A/C vent. Few other owners have also complained about this issue.
This was rectified in my car - they had to open the dashboard area and refit it. I still have an irritating vibration coming from the audio HU area on non-smooth roads. Gotta get that checked this weekend.
dheepak10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 19:02   #1886
BANNED

Re: Maruti Baleno Zeta AT launched at Rs. 7.48 lakh

Is it possible to neatly add a reverse camera on the Baleno?

I had one in my old Accord, and it was a separate screen mounted on the dash. Looked awful.
Old 14th April 2017, 20:16   #1887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post

I had one in my old Accord, and it was a separate screen mounted on the dash. Looked awful.
Maruti has option of adding these through their MGA range.

More info here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3540204

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 21:04   #1888
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti has option of adding these through their MGA range.

More info here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3540204

Regards,
Shashi
Bad review here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...cessories.html
Old 14th April 2017, 21:29   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Answer is NO.MGA quality is poor and even if you want to put one, they will not put it in existing housing ( Zeta and Alpha ), but will drill in to bumper.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:39   #1890
BHPian

Hello folks,

I have diligently read 126 pages of this thread and though I have been enlightened tremendously, I seek your valuable advice for a new purchase for my dad.
My mom and dad will soon 'settle' in Noida after working all over India. They would be needing a new car. I have been assigned the responsibility to decide the car. Budget is 7 lacs on road. Max stretch is 8 lacs.
Since the running will be limited, I think petrol is the better option.
Safety is paramount and ABS, EBD and dual airbags are absolutely necessary.
I do not want my dad to be hassled while servicing the car and hence not considering the Figo/Aspire and the Polo.
Though they do not have any preference for Hatch vs Sedan, I feel the Sedans in their budget are not proportionate enough and have ruled them out.
I have basically shortlisted the Grand i10 Asta, the Elite i20 Sports and the Baleno Zeta (P) for them.
Now, can you guys tell me what specific things are against the Baleno for my parents' requirements.
Also, if anyone is aware what is the expected waiting period for the Baleno in Noida, please let me know so that we are aware when the booking should be done.

Most Viewed