Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 14:49   #1966
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Those so called paint protection treatments have very questionable effectiveness, dont last long, cost a lot of money, and if applied badly can actually damage the paint finish. Save your money and buy a car cover.

If you need to do some detailing go for good quality wax polishing from a professional detailer at regular intervals.
Yes, got a car cover and have been using since day one.
The problem here is i am a very bad cleaner , ordered the jopasu car duster but still worried.
Old 29th May 2017, 16:05   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualage View Post
Hi guys..

Thinking of upgrading from my old Wagonr - in a dilemma between the new Dzire and Baleno - tending towards Baleno Delta CVT at the moment over Dzire Vxi/Zxi AMT - any opinions? CVT owners, do you miss manual control during overtakes?

Also, does it make sense to upgrade the stock audio system on Baleno with Sony XAV AX100? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!
Hi, I was in a similar dilemma as you are. I have already booked a Baleno Zeta CVT, but wasn't able to decide if I should go through with it or cancel it for the DZire Zxi AMT. I test drove the DZire AMT and Baleno CVT back to back over the weekend, and now I am sticking with the Baleno.

I was the first person to TD the DZire petrol AMT with that dealership, and the newness of the car was apparent in the driving experience (the car had just 66 kms on the odo when I took it out for a spin). The AMT was not bad at all. Yes, some gear shifts were noticeable, but is certainly was better than the Celerio. The engine was pretty responsive and I felt the DZire to be more fun to drive than the Baleno with the manual mode. There were no judders or vibrations (may be because it was a brand new car) that are associated with AMTs. Despite all this, I still felt the Baleno to be a better choice due to the following:

1) Interior space in the Baleno is more than that of the DZire. Rear leg room is lot more and the seat itself is more wide. 3 adults are better fit for the Baleno than the DZire.
2) Rear seat has more under thigh support in the Baleno, although the backrest angle of the DZire makes it better for the back. The centre arm rest and rear AC vents are also useful but certainly not a decision changer.
3) Although the Baleno is about ₹50 thousand costlier than the DZire OTR, it offers far more usable features like UV cut glasses for the windows, telescopic steering, auto, follow me home and lead me to car headlamps, auto dimming IRVM. Not to mention the CVT gearbox. Yes the DZire felt far more fun to drive, but not sure how the AMT gearbox will age. The CVT should maintain it's character even as it ages, but I'm not so sure if that'll be the case with the AMT. There aren't too many ownership reports on the Ignis petrol AMT either to know how the AMT has been faring in the long term.
4) Baleno has 60:40 split rear seat. So in case I need to haul big cargo, I can always flip down the rear seat to liberate cargo space. This offsets the increased boot space of the DZire.
5) Plastic quality is on par with both cars. The beige interior will be nightmare to maintain in the DZire. The brand new TD car already had stains in the beige area. Sheet metal quality too felt at par.
6) DZire looks fabulous in the Z+ trims with those LED projector lights and dual tone alloys, but the same can't be said on the lower trims. The headlamps look ordinary and the alloy on the Zxi is very boring looking. Baleno's alloys are a touch better looking (but that's not a compliment to the design by any means).

The only thing that is going for the DZire in my opinion is that it's a sedan and a fairly new one at it and that lovely looking steering wheel. If there is one thing that I would like to carry over from the DZire to the Baleno is that steering wheel. It just looks amazing and feels nice too. All said and done, once the new model novelty is gone, it'll be hard to look at the DZire as a desirable car when compared to the Baleno.
y2ksrs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 16:20   #1968
BHPian

My vehicle underwent rear suspension replacement today, under warranty. I can't thank you enough for guiding me through the process, Kamal Sir.

The whole procedure went on quite smoothly and I was in and out of the MASS in two hours.

Also, the car feels more pliant after the replacement and reacts to bumps with much more maturity. Will update as my White Fairy munches more miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
The GM is not giving you correct info.
Maruti indeed are doing a replacement of the suspension for 2015/first half of 2016 manufactured Balenos, but its not a publicly notified recall; only those who complain about the hard ride & do some follow up cribbing are entertained.
Lots of people have got it done, I'll be going for the suspension change FOC under warranty to my MASS tomorrow, after which the ride will be like that of the Balenos being made now - you could test ride a demo Baleno from your Nexa to experience the change.
What you need to do is to drop a mail to ' contact@nexaexperience.com & complain about the hard, bumpy ride & request for a suspension change under warranty.
Mention your cars' registration number, VIN, Engine/chassis number, date of purchase & your mobile number registered with them.
You'll get a call in a couple of days whereupon you can emphasise your problem; the issue should get resolved thereafter.
Regards & plz do share your experience.

Last edited by SuvidC : 29th May 2017 at 16:38. Reason: Incorrect Quote
SuvidC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 23:52   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuvidC View Post
My vehicle underwent rear suspension replacement today, under warranty. I can't thank you enough for guiding me through the process, Kamal Sir.

The whole procedure went on quite smoothly and I was in and out of the MASS in two hours.

Also, the car feels more pliant after the replacement and reacts to bumps with much more maturity. Will update as my White Fairy munches more miles.
Happy that it turned out well for you.
In my case the entire suspension - front & rear - was replaced, maybe because I emphasised that I was 69 years old & the hard ride was killing my back.
The Baleno feels so smooth now, very near to what my '97 Esteem used to feel like.
Kamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:08   #1970
BHPian

Anyone replaced the wipers on their Baleno? I'm looking to get new wipers as my stock ones are not wiping properly and at night the glare gets horrible.

Does it make sense to get the stock ones or should I give these frameless ones on Amazon a shot. Also, is the correct size D 20 and P 18?
Old 30th May 2017, 12:02   #1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Hi, I was in a similar dilemma as you are. I have already booked a Baleno Zeta CVT, but wasn't able to decide if I should go through with it or cancel it for the DZire Zxi AMT. I test drove the DZire AMT and Baleno CVT back to back over the weekend, and now I am sticking with the Baleno.

I was the first person to TD the DZire petrol AMT with that dealership, and the newness of the car was apparent in the driving experience (the car had just 66 kms on the odo when I took it out for a spin). The AMT was not bad at all. Yes, some gear shifts were noticeable, but is certainly was better than the Celerio. The engine was pretty responsive and I felt the DZire to be more fun to drive than the Baleno with the manual mode. There were no judders or vibrations (may be because it was a brand new car) that are associated with AMTs. Despite all this, I still felt the Baleno to be a better choice due to the following:

1) Interior space in the Baleno is more than that of the DZire. Rear leg room is lot more and the seat itself is more wide. 3 adults are better fit for the Baleno than the DZire.
2) Rear seat has more under thigh support in the Baleno, although the backrest angle of the DZire makes it better for the back. The centre arm rest and rear AC vents are also useful but certainly not a decision changer.
3) Although the Baleno is about ₹50 thousand costlier than the DZire OTR, it offers far more usable features like UV cut glasses for the windows, telescopic steering, auto, follow me home and lead me to car headlamps, auto dimming IRVM. Not to mention the CVT gearbox. Yes the DZire felt far more fun to drive, but not sure how the AMT gearbox will age. The CVT should maintain it's character even as it ages, but I'm not so sure if that'll be the case with the AMT. There aren't too many ownership reports on the Ignis petrol AMT either to know how the AMT has been faring in the long term.
4) Baleno has 60:40 split rear seat. So in case I need to haul big cargo, I can always flip down the rear seat to liberate cargo space. This offsets the increased boot space of the DZire.
5) Plastic quality is on par with both cars. The beige interior will be nightmare to maintain in the DZire. The brand new TD car already had stains in the beige area. Sheet metal quality too felt at par.
6) DZire looks fabulous in the Z+ trims with those LED projector lights and dual tone alloys, but the same can't be said on the lower trims. The headlamps look ordinary and the alloy on the Zxi is very boring looking. Baleno's alloys are a touch better looking (but that's not a compliment to the design by any means).

The only thing that is going for the DZire in my opinion is that it's a sedan and a fairly new one at it and that lovely looking steering wheel. If there is one thing that I would like to carry over from the DZire to the Baleno is that steering wheel. It just looks amazing and feels nice too. All said and done, once the new model novelty is gone, it'll be hard to look at the DZire as a desirable car when compared to the Baleno.
Thanks so much for the detailed response! Good to find one more person with the same line of thought.
Old 30th May 2017, 22:53   #1972
BANNED

My father bought a baleno zeta petrol after 5 months wait last week. I straightaway swapped the 195 55 r 16 apollo alnac 4g tires to michelin p3st 195 60 r16 size. Though i was apprehensive of bouncy and clunky ride as complained by some on this forum, but after driving extensively my 2017 baleno, i can safely say that the ride is quite good. Much better than our 2007 city ZX, low speed ride if very similar or better than my grand i10. High speed ride is very good too and better than both cars listed above. There is a carpet like insulation in the rear wheel arches, which i haven't seen till now in any other car. Probably, maruti has done some changes and my car feels quite silent on the inside.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 10:58   #1973

Booked ray blue Baleno Delta CVT yesterday. The wait begins.

Has anyone opted for the black wheel caps? Any pics?
Old 31st May 2017, 11:08   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
My father bought a baleno zeta petrol after 5 months wait last week. I straightaway swapped the 195 55 r 16 apollo alnac 4g tires to michelin p3st 195 60 r16 size. Though i was apprehensive of bouncy and clunky ride as complained by some on this forum, but after driving extensively my 2017 baleno, i can safely say that the ride is quite good. Much better than our 2007 city ZX, low speed ride if very similar or better than my grand i10. High speed ride is very good too and better than both cars listed above. There is a carpet like insulation in the rear wheel arches, which i haven't seen till now in any other car. Probably, maruti has done some changes and my car feels quite silent on the inside.
Did you use the same wheels that came with the car? Do you know if there are any other brands/tyres available that exactly match the stock specifications?

The stock tyres are good but have extremely high road noise, which gets annoying on such a silent car. Cruising on the highway you neither hear the silky smooth petrol engine nor the wind noise due to the aerodynamics. However the tyre noise is such a bummer.

I agree, the ride is firm but good. It's also a lot less noisy than other Maruti cars. However the suspension updates have not made the ride plush, but they have taken out the boat-like wallowy nature that the earlier models had.

Last edited by chncar : 31st May 2017 at 11:09.
Old 31st May 2017, 14:27   #1975
BANNED

Yes I kept the alloys stock, only upsized the profile from 55 to 60. 195 55 r 16 is a very common size, available with almost all tire brands. 195 60 r16 was available only with Michelin. The overall diameter of tire increased by 3% which is acceptable. The ground clearance increased by 10mm. 195 55 r16 side wall height is 107mm, 195 60 r16 has sidewall height of 117mm.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 21:42   #1976
BHPian

Are there any documents that I need to collect for extended warranty? I remember that my previous Maruti had some documentation for the extended warranty, basically a printed invoice type document.

I have paid for extended warranty and it has been invoiced. However, when I asked for the documentation at the time of delivery the dealer said they would send it in a couple of days, it has been 2 weeks now and they are not responding to my follow-ups on that regard.
Old 1st June 2017, 13:12   #1977
BHPian

Has anyone replaced the stock antenna with a Shark fin ? My existing antenna has got bent completely with the car cover though the cover had the antenna pocket. Looking for a solution on this.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:13   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Are there any documents that I need to collect for extended warranty? I remember that my previous Maruti had some documentation for the extended warranty, basically a printed invoice type document.
Yes the dealer is supposed to give you an extended warranty invoice. I got it at the time of delivery.
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:19   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno's petrol variant draws ~ 85% of its bookings. In May it sells 12,378 units of petrol and 2,251 units are diesel.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 08:27   #1980
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Hi, I was in a similar dilemma as you are. I have already booked a Baleno Zeta CVT, but wasn't able to decide if I should go through with it or cancel it for the DZire Zxi AMT.
Quote:
Thanks so much for the detailed response! Good to find one more person with the same line of thought.
Quote:
Booked ray blue Baleno Delta CVT yesterday. The wait begins.
I was in the same dilemma, thanks everyone for clearing my confusion as well.

Now my new dilemma is Petrol vs Diesel. I think the Tata Zest top end diesel AMT will cost as much as the Baleno Zeta petrol CVT. So which one should I go for considering the cost is the same? My yearly running is going to be in the range of 10,000 kms.

Most Viewed