Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 10:45   #2326
VEA
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

i suspect the replacement unit on your car, as well as newer cars has a regular halogen projector. I understand the initial batches had hid lamps, but Maruti never advertised it. the reason could be the regulations regarding hid headlamps which requires a washer and auto levelling to accompany it. Or perhaps, it never was an HID lamp. Maruti could also have kept it under the light output limit for it to classify as non hid. whatever it is, the manufacturer has the liberty to change it since it is not advertised as hid.

Having said that, both the lights on your car should be replaced. Thats what you should ask for, and that is what the manufacturer should do.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:51   #2327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
But there is a problem, on the replaced unit light o/p is warmer not cool white like my older unit, please check the photo below.
Did you try replacing the bulbs? I mean use the bulb from the old unit into the warranty repaved headlight unit!

It can be a bulb issue or the projector lens itself could be different.
Old 27th September 2017, 11:17   #2328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
i suspect the replacement unit on your car, as well as newer cars has a regular halogen projector. I understand the initial batches had hid lamps, but Maruti never advertised it.
Baleno Alpha has Osram D8S hid bulbs and Bixenon Projectors. The car never came with halogen projectors. Yes, Maruti did not advertise it for reasons best known to them . They did not mention about puddle lamps, illuminated vanity mirrors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Did you try replacing the bulbs? I mean use the bulb from the old unit into the warranty repaved headlight unit!

I don't think Maruti sells HID bulbs separately in Baleno. The owner has got the full headlight including bulbs changed under warranty. He should ask for full headlight replacement again.
Old 27th September 2017, 15:19   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
i suspect the replacement unit on your car, as well as newer cars has a regular halogen projector.
I had checked the bulb. The replacement unit has HID type bulb with same wattage and model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Yes, tried placing the old bulb into the new housing; o/p was relatively cooler but it not matching the illumination of my original headlamp.
Looks like there is difference in the projector assembly in the new headlamp, no much light is internally reflected/scattered inside the lens rather light is projected onto the road.
Also, new lens appears very clearer unlike the bit hazy/greyish old one(Not sure if this is the design or due to wear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Baleno Alpha has Osram D8S hid bulbs and Bixenon Projectors. The car never came with halogen projectors. Yes, Maruti did not advertise it for reasons best known to them . They did not mention about puddle lamps, illuminated vanity mirrors too.
I don't think Maruti sells HID bulbs separately in Baleno. The owner has got the full headlight including bulbs changed under warranty. He should ask for full headlight replacement again.
The bulb inside new headlamp matched type and model(OSRAM 66548 D8S 25W) to the old one except for some lettering which reads "E1 0TL DOT" on the new and "E1 2TL DOT" on the old.
Any idea what does 0TL and 2TL indicate? is it related to some regulations?

I checked my colleagues June 2017 model, it has cooler/white o/p and a brand new one at the service center which had yellowish o/p like my replacement unit. So, should I believe in the last 3 months there was some change with regard to headlamps? or will these heal and get corrected over use?
I am confused that even if I get the other one replaced, will it match(two new ones)?

If there is anybody who has taken recent delivery of Baleno Alpha can post a photo of the headlamp o/p?
Old 27th September 2017, 16:35   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
So I happened to receive an invite from Varun Nexa for a 'Customer Education Program' event last week. The event was held on Sunday, 24th Sep at 10.30 AM.
I wish they do this for the Varun Nexa Hyderabad customers too as i have bunch of questions to shoot to their top heads.

Eagerly waiting !

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Today I received an allotment letter from dealer stating the booking has matured to delivery and the car has been dispatched from the Gurgaon facility. It will reach the dealer's yard around 15days.

Now, is there a possibility that the car could be a 2016 manufactured piece or a 3/6 month old piece? I have asked for the VIN number though. But just in case they do not provide, I hope I cannot be adamant/stingy and keep asking for the same again. In such a scenario just wanted to know if MS is dispatching only latest pieces (september 2017 pieces). Your thoughts please?
You don't have to worry about this at all. I received my car on 17 May 2017 and it was manufactured on the first week of May 2017 itself (as per the VIN). Given the demand on export and domestic markets there is no chance for them to pile up the 2016 stock and push them on us. You have every right to reject the car in case the VIN states otherwise. Congrats in advance.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th September 2017 at 17:43. Reason: Posts merged.
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 17:34   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
Hi Folks,

I got my left headlamp replaced under warranty today(for Fogging issue).
But there is a problem, on the replaced unit light o/p is warmer not cool white like my older unit, please check the photo below. Also, it looks like older unit is more powerful and illumination is different(smooth, circular reflector around lens looking like a light ring).

Checked headlamps on another new Baleno which was there at the service center, it matches with the replacement on mine.

Now, how I go about this? I liked my older units for the way it looked and lit but couldn't afford to deny the replacement as it was fogging badly. Even the service center guys are clueless about this.

Please advice me on this.
Check the headlight leveller of each side.

Connect each of the headlights(one at a time) and rise it to highest position and bring it back to zero.

Then connect both and rise the leveller to 1 and check.

And also,
HIDs have break-in time, allow the new one to settle for some time.

Last edited by kashyapz8055 : 27th September 2017 at 17:36.
Old 28th September 2017, 00:57   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Guys I need some advice.

I booked Baleno Alpha petrol Manual on Sep 16th. I have got the Order booking / commitment checklist. I find the document full of errors / wrong information. I get a feeling that the dealer is taking me for a ride.

1. I have not opted for any accessories and yet they have mentioned as I am opting for them. I googled NEXA basic car kit to know what that is and it contains a bunch of useless things such as two small cushions, car air freshener, mud guards, matting, and basic cleaning kit. Its costs around Rs 9000.

2. I have no idea what the Premium car care kit is all about. I am unable to get any information for that. Also not sure what is the price. I have a bunch of Meguiar products and hence I don’t want to get any of Maruti’s low quality ones.

3. It should be noted that RM did not mentioned anything about the car care kits while booking.

4. What is approximate price for all the accessories they have mentioned here?

5. I have not opted for NEXA loyalty card and yet they mentioned as I am interested to get that.

6. I have booked it on Sep 16th but the booking date mentioned as Sep 19th.

7. Why the on-road price mentioned as 5.77L for Baleno Alpha Manual?

8. Also I opted for Extended warranty but mentioned as No in the commitment checklist.

I sent an email yesterday pointing out all these issues and asked them to send a new commitment checklist with errors rectified. However, I have not received any mail. RM tried to reach me via phone while I was in a meeting in my office and hence could not attend. I think they don’t want to have a written communication.

Other points:

1. Insurance: I want to take insurance from outside. NEXA is quoting 25K plus for it. RM insisted me to sign a form that says I am interested to get Insurance via Maruti. He also said I can opt out while getting the car then I don’t know why he wants to sign it while booking. He said it is a normal practice and just a formality. I signed it.

My question is, at the time of delivery I have to pay for all these useless stuffs (NEXA basic kit, Premium car care kit, NEXA loyalty card) including the Insurance?
Hello amvj,

I saw your query list and was surprised, not by your questions, but by the RM who is assigned to you. How can a person handover a dealer's copy to a customer ?? Anyways, going back to your queries, I'll try my best to get it cleared on a point to point basis.

1. When a booking for a car is done, dealers have to punch in some accessories booking in advance, if not, the booking wont be punched in the DMS (Dealer Management Software). So for every booking in NEXA, accessories are also booked along with it. NEXA also practiced 13,000 booking amount system which had 11,000 for booking and 2,000 for accessories, but it backfired and was unofficially stopped. No need to worry for that as you won't be charged for it, if you haven't opted.

2. Premium Car Care Kit contains SONAX branded(usually) shampoo, interior car cleaner, body polish, microfibre cloth and foam. It can vary from places to places, but for most part of India, this is the final item list. It costs Rs. 1600, again prices may vary.

3. RMs generally don't mention these things because many a times they face booking cancellation for some reason, or price changes due to change in taxes or MSIL decision. Most RMs mention it when the car is allotted to the customer.

4. The approximate price will come around Rs. 9,000.

5. Same reason for NEXA CARD, as mentioned in point 1.

6. That is the mistake of your RM. Booking should be punched on the same day or at worst, the next day. In case of Baleno's booking, even a slight delay can make you loose many positions, and this will cause a delay in allotment.

7. The price mentioned is an error of the person who handles the DMS of the dealer where you have booked the car. Doesn't matter, it's the least of your worries.

8. Again it is the mistake of your RM or the person responsible for handling the DMS. No issues, you can opt for any value added service of NEXA before the delivery.

Other Points-

1. There is no practice of any signature as per NEXA norms. But personall, I'd suggest you to opt for Maruti Insurance, because it is hassle free when claiming. Others may have some issues while claiming, hence are cheaper when compared to Maruti Insurance.

At the time of delivery you have to pay only for those things which you have opted for. Only ex-showroom is mandatory, rest all is optional like accessories, insurance, extended warranty, Nexa Card, MCP etc

How do I know these things?? I was closely associated with NEXA during its inception, before moving to another sector some months ago. Hope I have cleared all your doubts. Do let me know if still you have any.
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 09:54   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashyapz8055 View Post
Check the headlight leveller of each side.

Connect each of the headlights(one at a time) and rise it to highest position and bring it back to zero.

Then connect both and rise the leveller to 1 and check.
How headlight leveler plays role here? It seems to be working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashyapz8055 View Post
And also,
HIDs have break-in time, allow the new one to settle for some time.
I am waiting for a week to see if it turns better, else contacting Maruti.
Old 28th September 2017, 11:35   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I just showed this to my trusted friend(who is now an EX-RM), and these are the things he had to say:

1. Your RM has forwarded you the dealer's copy, ask for Customer's copy.
2. Your customer copy shouldn't carry these accessories/useless items etc. If it has, get them removed.

He said there are many things which a dealer has to show, to get brownie points, but the customer doesn't necessarily has to purchase those accessories from them.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Congratulations on your next car.
Thank you for the clarification Shashi. I checked with my RM and he said I can ignore that statement and at the time of delivery I can opt for accessories I need. BTW, this will be my first car.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 16:08   #2335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
You don't have to worry about this at all. I received my car on 17 May 2017 and it was manufactured on the first week of May 2017 itself (as per the VIN). Given the demand on export and domestic markets there is no chance for them to pile up the 2016 stock and push them on us. You have every right to reject the car in case the VIN states otherwise. Congrats in advance.
I hope so too. But I have booked a Sigma which is why I am more curious if it still could be an old one(not sure how many buy sigma).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
How do I know these things?? I was closely associated with NEXA during its inception, before moving to another sector some months ago. Hope I have cleared all your doubts. Do let me know if still you have any.
Would you let me know if the VIN of the vehicle can be shared by the dealer to know the month/year of manufacture? I am asking this because I've been asking for the VIN ever since I made the booking. The RM says it is a sep '17 manufactured only and dispatched from Gurgaon. Though they said they will share the VIN they still haven't. Moreover the Sr.RM says he can share the VIN only after the vehicle is allotted and only if I instruct the bank to release full payment to the dealer. I am just worried on how to check the VIN or get the commitment from dealer that this is indeed a Sep '17 piece. Can you offer any suggestions?
Old 28th September 2017, 21:25   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure there might be few BHP-ians using the Baleno Sigma petrol variant.

Would like to hear from you guys on the following-

1. How is it to drive without a tacho? (I have been driving an alto800 without tacho so upshift/downdshift is purely based on engine note/speeds).
2. Central lock - Yes. But can we install a security system with remote from a 3rd party outside without voiding the warranty?
3. What are the other details that you could see in the instrument cluster?

If there are any other functional downsides or good stuffs to the sigma variant please share.
I booked Baleno Sigma Petrol variant last Sunday and it was tough deciding on the variant. I was almost about to go for Delta but after bit of further analysis, I zeroed in for Sigma variant.

1. It might differ, but I don't need tacho to drive my car in terms of gear shifts. In fact, I hardly see tacho in my City iVTEC. There were very few occasion when I wanted to feel the sporty exhaust note for the iVtec engine and noticed the redlining on the tacho. On most occasions, having or not having tacho doesn't matter and you upshift/downshift on the basis of engine speed.

And to add-on, Sigma variant has gear shift change indicator available. It ask you to upshift/downshift as when required depending on driving speed/pattern.

2. Outside installation of any electronics from outside will void the warranty but you don't need to go outside when Nexa have Maruti Nippon keyless entry system available with them at reasonable prices. It is the same system that is present in Delta and other variants. I have asked Nexa people to install this in my car. You can also go for original wheel covers for Sigma from Nexa showroom that comes in Delta variant.

3. Apart from tacho and outside temperature, you get almost everything including trip, real time mileage, range available, gear shift indicator, current gear indicator, digital clock etc.

I was too apprehensive while deciding between Sigma/Delta. While it is purely personal choice, Sigma variant is most sensible variant for Baleno.

Auto AC/Rear wiper/defogger, though, are good and futuristic features for the extra price but they are not something that will take away fun out of driving a Maruti Baleno.

Buy a Sigma, throw in 4 good speakers, a double din bluetooth audio system, a keyless entry, wheel covers (Will cost around 20k-25k, depending on quality/brand of music system) - with these essentials added on a Sigma Variant, you get a complete car with loads of saved money in your bank account.

EDIT - And trust me, there are many numbers of Baleno Sigma variant on roads - especially here in Delhi/NCR. If I spot 5 Baleno in a day, 2 are Sigma variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

In fact this is a good variant to buy if you wish to customize your car.

Last edited by bluevolt : 28th September 2017 at 21:30.
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 00:20   #2337
BHPian

I have a question for guys who have taken delivery of their Balenso. The RM sent OTR pricing through email, wherein the registration charges are inclusive of extended warranty, NCB protection and breakdown assistance. It's an all inclusive amount. Did you guys get it like this?

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2017 at 08:22. Reason: Adding punctuation for better readability
knownstrangerr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th September 2017, 13:59   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
I have a question for guys who have taken delivery of their Balenso. The RM sent OTR pricing through email, wherein the registration charges are inclusive of extended warranty, NCB protection and breakdown assistance. It's an all inclusive amount. Did you guys get it like this?
Dude, Extended warranty is not mandatory. NCB protection and breakdown assistance are additional covers on top of insurance. You can ignore them. Not mandatory. BTW which Nexa dealer in Chennai? Did you receive any text sms from NEXA confirming your booking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I booked Baleno Sigma Petrol variant last Sunday
Thank you bluevolt! Great suggestions there.
BTW, did you receive any text sms from Nexa after booking the car? Any allotment letter? Is the dealer willing to share the VIN to check the month/year of manufacture? I am having a hard time believing the dealer. I am either over thinking or something is just not right with them.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th September 2017 at 19:12. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 30th September 2017, 00:07   #2339
BHPian

The VIN number was shared by dealer after a lot of hard discussing. Not sure what was their problem in sharing the VIN.

However the VIN starts with MBHEWB***********(17-digits)

Is this possible?

Please help.
Old 30th September 2017, 05:13   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am having a hard time believing the dealer. I am either over thinking or something is just not right with them.
To me, I would walk away if I did not trust the dealer. If they come across as shady in the sales cycle they are bound to be shady at the service end.

I would find another dealer.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed